Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection *GAME CALLED OFF*

Comments

• Options
    It may have been -6 degrees somewhere last night but I'm pretty sure it wasn't at ground level in Charlton. Maybe -3/4 degrees.

It's been cold 2 days this week. Yesterday and today. Earlier in the week it was warm and pissing it down, very muddy walking the dogs in westcombe park.

There is no doubt in my mind the postponement has been wilfully engineered. If we wanted to play, we could have made sure we were ready.

We didn't want to play and have deliberately made sure we can't.
  • Options
    I had just parked up and was about to walk to the ground when I heard the game was called off. Absolutely disgraceful in my view, especially for the Scunthorpe team/fans who were presumably on their way. I thought we had undersoil heating now but obviously not. By the looks of it we didn't make any great effort to get the game on presumably with some of the injuries we have but that's not right. This will now be a midweek game which is not ideal. Not happy about this.
  • Options
    I suppose when the Scunthorpe officials asked why the undersoil hadn't been fired up, the answer was 'we don't have to until we're in the Premier League. Them's the rules, if you don't like it take it up with the rulemakers'.
  • Options

It may have been -6 degrees somewhere last night but I'm pretty sure it wasn't at ground level in Charlton. Maybe -3/4 degrees.

It's been cold 2 days this week. Yesterday and today. Earlier in the week it was warm and pissing it down, very muddy walking the dogs in westcombe park.

There is no doubt in my mind the postponement has been wilfully engineered. If we wanted to play, we could have made sure we were ready.

We didn't want to play and have deliberately made sure we can't.

I'm sure lots of other gaffers have done it in the past knowing that it would be very difficult for te authorities to prove wrong doing. It probably has happened here. Very clever on Karl's part.
  • Options

Anyone able to get any weather readings of last Saturday lunchtime compared to now?

Just been out for a paper, sunny, + temperatures and doesn't even feel that cold

In proper anorak style...
    Last Saturday

Today
  • Options
    philcafc said:

I had just parked up and was about to walk to the ground when I heard the game was called off. Absolutely disgraceful in my view, especially for the Scunthorpe team/fans who were presumably on their way. I thought we had undersoil heating now but obviously not. By the looks of it we didn't make any great effort to get the game on presumably with some of the injuries we have but that's not right. This will now be a midweek game which is not ideal. Not happy about this.

Scunthorpe would have been down yesterday. Their manager was on the pitch when the ref called the match off.
  • Options

Just a guess, but imagine if there had been exactly the same weather conditions at the end of last week - and with the decent sized crowd expected v Millwall - somehow the pitch would still have been perfectly playable come Saturday morning.

When I was at the ticket office last Saturday, I saw them wheeling back a very large set of heat lamps.
    They aren't "heat" lamps as such. They are daylight spectrum grass growing lamps - the idea nicked from Dutch vegetable growers. I'd guess that the latest generation might be LEDs putting out very little heat at all - but that is a guess.
    This is the Dutch firm that provides ours (and pretty much everyone elses too). sglconcept.com/en/projects/charlton-athletic-fc.html?from=map://
  • Options

Anyone able to get any weather readings of last Saturday lunchtime compared to now?

Just been out for a paper, sunny, + temperatures and doesn't even feel that cold

Last Saturday

Today
    Where were those measurements taken?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Last Saturday

Today
    I entered the postcode for the valley so I'm guessing the nearest weather station to there.
  • Options

It's not even that cold ????

It's quite cold outside! I went to do some running in the park , I lasted 10 minutes before having to stop coz the cold air was affecting my asthma so I couldn't continue! And also just to say the ground frozen under the grass!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Does anybody actually know the cost of hiring in, hooking up, and running a mobile boiler?
    I watched Nathan in the video, and I thought the question to him about the undersoil heating, leading with 'misconceptions', was a clumsy and unconvincing part of the video.
    On this specific issue I really can't see an excuse for not getting the pitch ready, I know it is possibly handy getting the game called off football wise, but presumably if we were in the Prem we would've got the equipment in and got the match on, by that I mean it can physically be done although there are costs attached.

I'd also like to know the cost of getting it working.
    I wonder if one of the 'misconceptions' is that even if there are some pipes under the pitch, has the thing been tested after the initial installation just under 3 years ago. I would think the system would need some kind of maintenance which I'm sure wouldn't have been undertaken, it'll be like moving into a house putting in a new boiler and hoping that all the raidiators work after being unused for 3 years.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Last Saturday

Today
    The nearest official stations are Gravesend and St James Park. There are a number of PWS in the area but none reflect those readings.
  • Options
    Sure they got a frosty reception this morning.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Last Saturday

Today
    From a thermometer,possibly.
  • Options
    I was working out in the open last night at a station in east London. It wasn't too cold until around 1 a.m. It then got very cold very quickly.

A big difference from the previous night was the biting wind. The plastic ducting we were working on became covered in ice in a matter of minutes.

Very glad I called into Screwfix on the way in and bought some thermal work gloves.

Very hard to cover for sudden changes in temperature and where the whole pitch was frozen this morning there was little scope for remedial work.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Does anybody actually know the cost of hiring in, hooking up, and running a mobile boiler?
    I watched Nathan in the video, and I thought the question to him about the undersoil heating, leading with 'misconceptions', was a clumsy and unconvincing part of the video.
    On this specific issue I really can't see an excuse for not getting the pitch ready, I know it is possibly handy getting the game called off football wise, but presumably if we were in the Prem we would've got the equipment in and got the match on, by that I mean it can physically be done although there are costs attached.

"The goals were ok because we doubled the covers there". Hmmm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure President Trump will have something to say about this postponement.
  • Options

I'm sure President Trump will have something to say about this postponement.

Probably send over a couple of missiles to warm the pitch up a bit.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I'm not fussed nice afternoon in by the fire watch a bit of Wrestling on World of Sport.................oh hang on a minute we've moved on 50 odd years, or have we?:open_mouth:

no
    wrestling is back
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Wonder what Roland's going to do this afternoon, with no live stream to watch.

watch the everton stream to see lookie come on and earn him some more £££$$€€ add on bonus
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

seth plum said:

I'd also like to know the cost of getting it working.
    I wonder if one of the 'misconceptions' is that even if there are some pipes under the pitch, has the thing been tested after the initial installation just under 3 years ago. I would think the system would need some kind of maintenance which I'm sure wouldn't have been undertaken, it'll be like moving into a house putting in a new boiler and hoping that all the raidiators work after being unused for 3 years.
    Agreed, we've never used the pipes since they were installed, I doubt they'd work without a proper overall and test

The ground in the parks where I live in N London is covered in frost and rock hard, I can quite imagine the Valley pitch being unplayable
  • Options
    People only go to be social anyway, no game gives everyone an additional 90 minutes today for chatting, eating and drinking, not only that, there'll be another date set for the game, everyone can meet and be social all over again :smile:
  • Options
    Well p****d off. Left at 11am so missed the announcement and have just got home after a 160 miles round trip.
  • Options
    Down to 14th and 8 points off the play offs as it stands.