Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection *GAME CALLED OFF*

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    Another big team who got a surprise about that time were Chelsea at Earls Court tube station. We'd been at QPR, they'd been at home, the train pulled in full of Chelsea and they invited us on. So we did.
  • Options
    Moving the thread back away from 60 year old fans reminiscing about punch ups, it's interesting that the Gillingham Wimbledon match was postponed after an inspection at 3pm yesterday

Considering it was only Wimbledon (and hence a short distance to travel) that's remarkably ahead of the match

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/gills-game-postponed-119366/
  • Options
    Well I assume at 3pm temperatures would start to drop. So if not playable at 3pm , would certainly not get any better ?
  • Options

Well I assume at 3pm temperatures would start to drop. So if not playable at 3pm , would certainly not get any better ?

As you were saying........
  • Options

This was 3pm yesterday though!
  • Options

This was 3pm yesterday though!
    But if you postpone on the day as early as 10am it is too late! Maybe only Wimbledon, but what is the right thing to do? I am not that far away and we still have bits of snowman still standing! Frost may clear, but it is still very solid underneath.

I really do think it is best left with the experts and go with what they say. Everything does not have to be a conspiracy!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I really do think it is best left with the experts and go with what they say. Everything does not have to be a conspiracy!

Never really believed in the conspiracy theory. However, when you look at the fixture schedule and realise the earliest replay date is Tuesday 21st February, it was a very handy postponement as some key players will be available by then.... makes you wonder!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If it was a televised cup game against Arsenal, I'm sure the boiler would be hired and the pitch would have been perfect. But there is no requirement to hire a boiler and given that we had some key injuries and a suspension against one of the better teams, it made sense to only take the usual precaustions. Leyton Orient's game was also postponed and they were not too far away so there is no way the league can sanction us. I have no love for those running the club and will protest at every opportunity, but I think this is an entirely sensible approach. We need our best team to beat Scunthorpe, we don't need our best team to beat other teams. We didn't have our best team available. No loss of points and Watt and Holmes are a week fitter and Bauer is a week closer to recovery.
  • Options
    I can't be bothered to read this thread but take it you've read this?

Southend United groundsman sacked after Bolton Wanderers postponement - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38717420
  • Options
    I reckon he could use us and Orient as evidence at his tribunal!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If it was a televised cup game against Arsenal, I'm sure the boiler would be hired and the pitch would have been perfect. But there is no requirement to hire a boiler and given that we had some key injuries and a suspension against one of the better teams, it made sense to only take the usual precaustions. Leyton Orient's game was also postponed and they were not too far away so there is no way the league can sanction us. I have no love for those running the club and will protest at every opportunity, but I think this is an entirely sensible approach. We need our best team to beat Scunthorpe, we don't need our best team to beat other teams. We didn't have our best team available. No loss of points and Watt and Holmes are a week fitter and Bauer is a week closer to recovery.

except that a suitable boiler system would not have been available for hire at short notice but I agree it may have been a helpful delay.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it would be easy, just that if we had to bust a gut to get it on, we probably could have - but my point is, why bust a gut when it doesn't suit you.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I'm not saying it would be easy, just that if we had to bust a gut to get it on, we probably could have - but my point is, why bust a gut when it doesn't suit you.

Fair play? Doing the right thing? Not shitting on the Scunthorpe and Charlton fans who'd already set out?

If the games off, it's off but if as you imply, we didn't "bust a gut" to get it on when we could have then is that "cricket"? Is that what we are, a club that pulls a fast one to get an advantage over Scunthorpe?

And if we do it and think it's OK then it's OK if another team does it to us sometime?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

except that a suitable boiler system would not have been available for hire at short notice but I agree it may have been a helpful delay.
    How do you know it wouldn't.

There is a firm in Charlton called Andrew Sykes who hire them out. I'm sure someone at Charlton would have still had their phone number from when they were our shirt sponsors.
  • Options
    The Oxford v Bradford game was called off just before kick off last night. It was an EFL Trophy game, so there were very few in the ground, pity the travelling Bradford fans.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 4m4 minutes ago
    More
    NEWS | Our fixture against @SUFCOfficial has been rearranged for Tuesday, March 7th. #cafc
  • Options

More
    NEWS | Our fixture against @SUFCOfficial has been rearranged for Tuesday, March 7th. #cafc

Thanks for the heads up, Henry.

Hopefully Mr F will be fit enough to return to The Valley by then.
  • Options

Another big team who got a surprise about that time were Chelsea at Earls Court tube station. We'd been at QPR, they'd been at home, the train pulled in full of Chelsea and they invited us on. So we did.

The showed at white city station first, CS gas etc.
  • Options

More

Bit late notice for a home game imo.
  • Options

More

Bit late notice for a home game imo.
    Really?