Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stephy Mavididi signs on loan (First time)

Comments

• Options
    Can I be the first to say "Does he pass the height test "
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    msomerton said:

If he performs as well as Coquelin did for us then I will be pleased with him.

Coquelin was absolute class. I remember being in the pub after the Ipswich game a couple years ago and we were all talking about hoping he'd really enjoy his time here, and that given he didn't seem to have a future at Arsenal maybe he'd sign permanently for us in January. I think he was back to Arsenal a couple days later and was runnin tings against City on the Saturday.

I think this is a decent signing. Little risk, high reward. Attacking player who can play through the middle or out wide, which is what we need. Gives us some depth up front. As I said in the transfer rumour thread, he's going to be the third choice center forward, possibly fourth choice if Watt continues to be an option there. Given we play with one striker, I think it's a good role for a talented 18-year-old who can also play out wide.

It also allows the likes of Hanlan/Umerah to go out/stay out on loan and get the senior football they desperately need--he provides cover while Umerah/Hanlan get experience of regular football which they woudn't get staying here. Given Stephy's scoring record at the top U-23 level, I suspect he's got more about him than either of those two or KAG at the moment, so an upgrade on what we have if taken from that perspective.

Given Ajose is out the door, will be interesting to see if that's freed up any money for one more in. That said, we're in a place where we need quality, not quantity. That is hard to find in January unless you're willing to pay over the odds.

My guess at our first team whenever everyone is fit:
    .................Rudd
    Solly....Bauer....Tex...Chicksen
    ..........Crofts....JFC
    Byrne........Watt......Holmes
    .................Mag

Phillips, Konsa, Price, Ulvestad, Aribo, Malvididi, Novak

Not included: Lennon, RoJo, DaSilva, JJ, RCC, KAG

*could easily replace Aribo with Watt or Price with Chicksen, but you get the point. Konsa is also unlucky to miss out.

That's a team that should be going on a run in the second half of the season, and breaking into that matchday 18 will take some quality. Whisper it, nut we're close to having an actual squad
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

He prob wont be fit for a while as we never really sign players who are ready to start, then once fit it will take a little longer for him to get up to speed with league 1 football. Should hopefully be starting games late Feb early March then will prob get a knock and be out for a couple of weeks, but he will then begin to look a cracking player when it's too late for us to challenge for the playoffs.

I shouldn't be so pessimistic, Nicholas.

Our last loan from Arsenal scored a hat-trick - before he got himself 'injured' and when finally forced to play, got himself sent off.
    And never played for us again.

• Options
    Wish the boy all the luck in the world and hope that he does great for us, the same impact as Coquellin and Song.

I am just very wary that he could become another Frank Nouble, but hoping he is a lot better than that and will do great for us.
  • Options
    "Oh Stephy,
    He plays up front
    He's got a name like a German female tennis player"

No idea if he'll be any good for us or even just better than Ajose but going to give him a chance.

Not his fault the recruitment and running of the club is farcical.

Big, strong goalscorers aren't easy to find especially if you're in league 1 so I'll wait and see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mavididi didi dum didi do

Is that to the tune of the old Manfred Mann song?

• Options
    Wish the guy well, As usual, I'll judge him when he plays (and not just the first ten minutes either :-) If he's a replacement for Ajose, it suggests that two managers in succession have found the guy lacking. The sad thing about the loan business is if he's any good he'll be gone in june, but sadly, that's just life in league 1.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Yep
  • Options
    Well, we've offloaded a player that was offering nothing to the team and replaced him with an up an coming star from a premier league team who has surely going to offer more!

Not the tent signing, but can't be any worse than Ajose!
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Well, we've offloaded a player that was offering nothing to the team and replaced him with an up an coming star from a premier league team who has surely going to offer more!

Not the tent signing, but can't be any worse than Ajose!

Latrine did, after all, promise that we'd be able to watch Premier League stars of the future :open_mouth:
  • Options
    He could just about be worse than Ajose if he neither scored goals nor did anything for the team. Oh wait, no you are right.
  • Options

Hope he does well but why are we getting rid of a player with a good scoring record, albeit not great for us thus far, for with someone with no league experience? I presume ajoses wages are higher so it makes the bank balance healthier, it's not had a cash injection for a while after all

We are not getting rid of, just loaning him out for the rest of the season and hope our new manager in the summer will want him to play for us again
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

He says, "“I was at the Millwall game a couple of weeks ago. The Valley is such a big stadium ..."

He sounds overawed. Must be a Millwall fan.

If The Valley is such a big stadium wonder what adjective he uses for the Emirates?!
    Just imagine if he'd gone to Sheffield Wed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Ahhhh. I was trying to sing it to Stan by Eminem and Dido.

• Options

Let hope he's in the same league as Song and Coquelin.

And not in Frimpong and Sanogo's league.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

msomerton said:

Coquelin was absolute class. I remember being in the pub after the Ipswich game a couple years ago and we were all talking about hoping he'd really enjoy his time here, and that given he didn't seem to have a future at Arsenal maybe he'd sign permanently for us in January. I think he was back to Arsenal a couple days later and was runnin tings against City on the Saturday.

I think this is a decent signing. Little risk, high reward. Attacking player who can play through the middle or out wide, which is what we need. Gives us some depth up front. As I said in the transfer rumour thread, he's going to be the third choice center forward, possibly fourth choice if Watt continues to be an option there. Given we play with one striker, I think it's a good role for a talented 18-year-old who can also play out wide.

It also allows the likes of Hanlan/Umerah to go out/stay out on loan and get the senior football they desperately need--he provides cover while Umerah/Hanlan get experience of regular football which they woudn't get staying here. Given Stephy's scoring record at the top U-23 level, I suspect he's got more about him than either of those two or KAG at the moment, so an upgrade on what we have if taken from that perspective.

Given Ajose is out the door, will be interesting to see if that's freed up any money for one more in. That said, we're in a place where we need quality, not quantity. That is hard to find in January unless you're willing to pay over the odds.

.................Rudd
    ..........Crofts....JFC
    .................Mag

Not included: Lennon, RoJo, DaSilva, JJ, RCC, KAG

*could easily replace Aribo with Watt or Price with Chicksen, but you get the point. Konsa is also unlucky to miss out.

That's a team that should be going on a run in the second half of the season, and breaking into that matchday 18 will take some quality. Whisper it, nut we're close to having an actual squad
    We're close to having a temporary squad.

Six players from our Squad will be easily gone come the summer because their loans will end, not to mention the obligatory selling of players to balance books so again in the summer we'll be forced into a rebuilding phase instead of just having to strengthen an area or two!!
    A new era is coming. Rely on it.
    You are a tease Airman. I never know whether to look for a cryptic message ;0)

• Options
    edited January 2017

SDAddick said:

msomerton said:

.................Rudd
    ..........Crofts....JFC
    .................Mag

Not included: Lennon, RoJo, DaSilva, JJ, RCC, KAG, Botaka (who I forgot the first time around)

We're close to having a temporary squad.

Six players from our Squad will be easily gone come the summer because their loans will end, not to mention the obligatory selling of players to balance books so again in the summer we'll be forced into a rebuilding phase instead of just having to strengthen an area or two!!
    True, although isn't Rudd out of contract? If we could snap him up, plus perhaps make a move for Byrne.

I don't feel like any of DaSilva, Malvididi, or Ulvestad are irreplaceable, and not sure any of them would be ready for the step up to Champo/winning league one next year. I completely forgot about Botaka during the original post, though that is more out of sight out of mind than due to his performances. Also don't think he's irreplaceable and not convinced he's ready for the step up either, although he might also be out of contract at the end of the season.

I certainly take your point, but I think most of the loan players are good for us right now in this league (with the exception of Byrne and Rudd), which is the point of getting loan players in.
  • Options
    Must just be me then that thinks it's a good signing
  • Options
    Mandini is a class defender. Can't believe we have signed him. The regime really have changed their ways after all! Next I want Nesta to partner him.
  • Options

No, me too
  • Options

Look up mate, I think it's a solid move as well.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!