Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stephy Mavididi signs on loan (First time)

Comments

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Seriously, I suppose he's our Lookman replacement.

Well, for the rest of this season, anyway.

Wasn't that Dasilva?
    I thought it was said that Da Silva is more of a wingback/wide midfielder rather than a wide forward/striker like Lookman?

This is what the Arsenal OS says about Mavididi:

Hardworking and strong in possession, Derby-born Stephy went to the Under-17s World Cup in Chile in 2015, but was unable find the back of the net as England crashed out of the group stages. In his element as a lone striker due to his strong build and eye for goal, Stephy will be hoping to add more goals to his growing tally this season.

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/stephy-mavididi#tAtfzpJRirjPJKDR.99
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Wasn't that Dasilva?
    I think we just needed more wingers in general. Slade seemed to only want to play one at a time, whereas KR wants to have two wingers/wide forwards on the pitch at all times, it would seem, plus one or more of them (Holmes for example) may need to be deployed in the no. 10 role so we just needed more depth. We now have players who can play wide or full back, wide and central, and wide and up top so we have options to mix the attack up a bit.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Can I be the first to say it?

Underwhelmed.

Can't understand how anyone could be underwhelmed or overwhelmed. Unless you've seen him play?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Nicholas said:

He prob wont be fit for a while as we never really sign players who are ready to start, then once fit it will take a little longer for him to get up to speed with league 1 football. Should hopefully be starting games late Feb early March then will prob get a knock and be out for a couple of weeks, but he will then begin to look a cracking player when it's too late for us to survive a relegation battle.

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    Anyone know when his Emirates contract is up? Could he be playing for a move like Coquelin?
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Wasn't that Dasilva?
    I think we just needed more wingers in general. Slade seemed to only want to play one at a time, whereas KR wants to have two wingers/wide forwards on the pitch at all times, it would seem, plus one or more of them (Holmes for example) may need to be deployed in the no. 10 role so we just needed more depth. We now have players who can play wide or full back, wide and central, and wide and up top so we have options to mix the attack up a bit.

but no-one to put the ball into the fecking net !!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Oggy Red said:

Underwhelmed.

Can't understand how anyone could be underwhelmed or overwhelmed. Unless you've seen him play?
    Old Charlton Life joke.

It all started years ago when we signed Yann Kermorgant and AFKA wrote:

Underwhelmed.

And ever since, whenever we get a new signing who's not really established himself, somebody will post, "Underwhelmed".
    It's tradition. It'll be your turn to write it one day, Jimmy.

• Options

Must just be me then that thinks it's a good signing

Based on what ? Genuine question.
    Based on the fact players like Afobe have gone from their u23's and proved good signings, fuck me Kane done the rounds and did a job wherever he went, I'm fucked off with other clubs getting a goodun, let's hope he is ours, we don't have the players to play to Ajose's strengths so it's pointless keeping him here, plus I got fucked off with his attitude early in the season, it was very much all about him and not the team.
    So based on hope as he's from Arsenal and the fact that Ajose was crap, which is the same as the rest of us.
  • Options
    Very typical move for a third tier club - take a teenager on loan from a Premiership side. He may be ok, and, to be honest Ajose and Novak have been firing blanks.

Agree with the comments that we are assembling a very hard to beat squad. Only 6 defeats by the beginning of February, very tight at the back too.

Any chance of a late run depends on scoring rather more goals than we have managed so far, and Mavididi might help us do that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Wasn't that Dasilva?
    I can't see Dasilva featuring much for the rest of the season with Mavididi and Botaka available, especially if Page plays LB, with Chicksen further forward
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

msomerton said:

If he performs as well as Coquelin did for us then I will be pleased with him.

Coquelin was absolute class. I remember being in the pub after the Ipswich game a couple years ago and we were all talking about hoping he'd really enjoy his time here, and that given he didn't seem to have a future at Arsenal maybe he'd sign permanently for us in January. I think he was back to Arsenal a couple days later and was runnin tings against City on the Saturday.

I think this is a decent signing. Little risk, high reward. Attacking player who can play through the middle or out wide, which is what we need. Gives us some depth up front. As I said in the transfer rumour thread, he's going to be the third choice center forward, possibly fourth choice if Watt continues to be an option there. Given we play with one striker, I think it's a good role for a talented 18-year-old who can also play out wide.

It also allows the likes of Hanlan/Umerah to go out/stay out on loan and get the senior football they desperately need--he provides cover while Umerah/Hanlan get experience of regular football which they woudn't get staying here. Given Stephy's scoring record at the top U-23 level, I suspect he's got more about him than either of those two or KAG at the moment, so an upgrade on what we have if taken from that perspective.

Given Ajose is out the door, will be interesting to see if that's freed up any money for one more in. That said, we're in a place where we need quality, not quantity. That is hard to find in January unless you're willing to pay over the odds.

My guess at our first team whenever everyone is fit:
    .................Rudd
    Solly....Bauer....Tex...Chicksen
    ..........Crofts....JFC
    Byrne........Watt......Holmes
    .................Mag

Phillips, Konsa, Price, Ulvestad, Aribo, Malvididi, Novak

Not included: Lennon, RoJo, DaSilva, JJ, RCC, KAG

*could easily replace Aribo with Watt or Price with Chicksen, but you get the point. Konsa is also unlucky to miss out.

That's a team that should be going on a run in the second half of the season, and breaking into that matchday 18 will take some quality. Whisper it, nut we're close to having an actual squad
    Forgotten Page
  • Options

welcome Stephy .. can't see you getting a lot of game time ... can't find the original by the Exciters .. so here's one time Blackheath resident Manfred and his Men
    https://youtu.be/43vOAw2sAFU

It's on you tube but can't be arsed to put it up :-)
  • Options

18yr old

18!!!!!

Ffs
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

SDAddick said:

msomerton said:

If he performs as well as Coquelin did for us then I will be pleased with him.

Coquelin was absolute class. I remember being in the pub after the Ipswich game a couple years ago and we were all talking about hoping he'd really enjoy his time here, and that given he didn't seem to have a future at Arsenal maybe he'd sign permanently for us in January. I think he was back to Arsenal a couple days later and was runnin tings against City on the Saturday.

I think this is a decent signing. Little risk, high reward. Attacking player who can play through the middle or out wide, which is what we need. Gives us some depth up front. As I said in the transfer rumour thread, he's going to be the third choice center forward, possibly fourth choice if Watt continues to be an option there. Given we play with one striker, I think it's a good role for a talented 18-year-old who can also play out wide.

It also allows the likes of Hanlan/Umerah to go out/stay out on loan and get the senior football they desperately need--he provides cover while Umerah/Hanlan get experience of regular football which they woudn't get staying here. Given Stephy's scoring record at the top U-23 level, I suspect he's got more about him than either of those two or KAG at the moment, so an upgrade on what we have if taken from that perspective.

Given Ajose is out the door, will be interesting to see if that's freed up any money for one more in. That said, we're in a place where we need quality, not quantity. That is hard to find in January unless you're willing to pay over the odds.

My guess at our first team whenever everyone is fit:
    .................Rudd
    Solly....Bauer....Tex...Chicksen
    ..........Crofts....JFC
    Byrne........Watt......Holmes
    .................Mag

Phillips, Konsa, Price, Ulvestad, Aribo, Malvididi, Novak

Not included: Lennon, RoJo, DaSilva, JJ, RCC, KAG

*could easily replace Aribo with Watt or Price with Chicksen, but you get the point. Konsa is also unlucky to miss out.

That's a team that should be going on a run in the second half of the season, and breaking into that matchday 18 will take some quality. Whisper it, nut we're close to having an actual squad
    Forgotten Page
    Definitely had him on the bench as "Price."

It's bed time.
  • Options
    The new Zac Ansah
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

He looks freezing cold!

He will wear gloves on match days

• Options
    Dizzle said:

He looks freezing cold!

That doesn't matter. The under soil heating will keep him nice and warm on the pitch.
  • Options

Very typical move for a third tier club - take a teenager on loan from a Premiership side. He may be ok, and, to be honest Ajose and Novak have been firing blanks.

Agree with the comments that we are assembling a very hard to beat squad. Only 6 defeats by the beginning of February, very tight at the back too.

Any chance of a late run depends on scoring rather more goals than we have managed so far, and Mavididi might help us do that.

Bit harsh on Novak to say he's been firing blanks.

His career has been stalling at Charlton (only five starts) more often than a Learner out for their first Driving Lesson
  • Options

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-stephy-mavididi-3547823.aspx

“I was at the Millwall game a couple of weeks ago. The Valley is such a big stadium and what captured me the most was the fans and the atmosphere. It made me want to run out in front of them and play. I can’t wait to get started.”

he needs to wait until the protests kick off again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dizzle said:

He looks freezing cold!

He will wear gloves on match days

Not if my mother in law has anything to do with it! She hates players wearing gloves they should man up.
  • Options
    Any news on what his injury was or how bad? Have we lost him for the rest of the season?
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Any news on what his injury was or how bad? Have we lost him for the rest of the season?

Robinson came out with a bunch of stuff about how he'd let the player down by playing him for 90 minutes again and that it was his hamstring.

Could well be a pretty bad tear given that he went off on a stretcher - even mildly bad ones tend to be a ping and you hobble off. Best case it's a bad strain you're still talking a few weeks with hammys.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

JamesSeed said:

Oggy Red said:

Underwhelmed.

Old Charlton Life joke.

It all started years ago when we signed Yann Kermorgant and AFKA wrote:

Underwhelmed.

And ever since, whenever we get a new signing who's not really established himself, somebody will post, "Underwhelmed".
    It's tradition. It'll be your turn to write it one day, Jimmy.

Ahhh, got it.
  • Options

cafc-west said:

Robinson came out with a bunch of stuff about how he'd let the player down by playing him for 90 minutes again and that it was his hamstring.

Could well be a pretty bad tear given that he went off on a stretcher - even mildly bad ones tend to be a ping and you hobble off. Best case it's a bad strain you're still talking a few weeks with hammys.
    Good grief. Robinson said that? And there is the separate issue of whether Magennis is currently fit to play.

And I get pelters (even from @Henry Irving when he isn't arguing something similar :-) ) for suggesting the club health and fitness regime isn't fit for purpose. It increasingly looks like said regime presents a career risk to any player putting themselves in its professional care.

And yes I do understand that players get injured everywhere. It's the perception of mis-management of injuries that winds me up (see current Kashi thread, and HI's pertinent remarks therein)

• Options
    He said that as he's a youngster and not used to playing "mens" football and certainly not every 3/4 days, he should have brought him off after 60 mins. I think he had a "niggle".
  • Options
    Grand. Robinson is so desperate for 3 points he is prepared to take another club's 18 year old player and just run him into the ground. Good luck getting any more Premier League loans in if they're going to mismanage them so badly.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Think this was handled poorly at the time. He was left laying at the side of the pitch for a fair while before our physio came to his aid. The fact he was punching the ground and waving his arm in the air suggested he knew he had done something serious.

Stupid comments from Robinson TBH. The kid has been poorly managed and it will no doubt effect the thinking of bigger clubs when we inveitably go looking for loans to plug the gaps in the squad next season.
  • Options

Think this was handled poorly at the time. He was left laying at the side of the pitch for a fair while before our physio came to his aid. The fact he was punching the ground and waving his arm in the air suggested he knew he had done something serious.

Stupid comments from Robinson TBH. The kid has been poorly managed and it will no doubt the thinking of bigger clubs when we inveitably go looking for loans to plug the gaps in the squad next season.

I was thinking at the time - when he was banging his hand on the floor that help took a bit too long. He was off teh ptch so there shouldn't have been a delay!

Yes, with comments like that - good luck getting any decent loans in future!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!