Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stephy Mavididi signs on loan (First time)

Comments

• Options
    really not a savour another average signing, lazy scouting yet again and a signing to please the fans, just playing competitively would do that.
  • Options
    If he can reproduce the form he showed, especially at Rochdale "that run" then I'm pleased with the signing. But yes, we do need som
    eone, who's been round the block a couple of times and knows how to finish...
  • Options
    For us at Rochdale: beats five men - but not the keeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8kpYUnl4-o

Obviously, good physique and bags of talent. But we still need an experienced goal-scorer.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Lack of goals has been our main issue this year, so if we bring in a proven goalscorer as well as Mavididi then fine. But we won't.
  • Options
    Very raw and hasn't been playing but clearly has something.

Big, strong, fast and skillfull but so far not been able, for whatever reason, to convert that into goals in the league.

That's why Arsenal wanted him out on loan at Preston but he didn't play so now it seems (WIOTOS) he'll have another go here.

I hear KR wanted him in the summer.

Happy to have him. Just hope he gets to play in a front two, not out wide in a 4231.

We clearly need at least one other out and out goal scorer and a creative midfielder to replace Clarke (Reeves not good enough) but that isn't Mavididi's fault.

Players aren't bought in the order of priority for the team as perceived by the fans.

They are bought or loaned when they become available be that today or 31 January.
  • Options

Big, strong, fast and skillfull but so far not been able, for whatever reason, to convert that into goals in the league.

That's why Arsenal wanted him out on loan at Preston but he didn't play so now it seems (WIOTOS) he'll have another go here.

Happy to have him. Just hope he gets to play in a front two, not out wide in a 4231.

We clearly need at least one other out and out goal scorer and a creative midfielder to replace Clarke (Reeves not good enough) but that isn't Mavididi's fault.

Players aren't bought in the order of priority for the team as perceived by the fans.

They are bought or loaned when they become available be that today or 31 January.

Although I agree with you, Jan 31st is too late. By then we would have played 5 more league games and if we haven't picked up many points by then the season will effectively be over. We all knew way before Jan 1st that we need a proven goalscorer & I know that you were at the same Bromley (Petts Wood) meeting as me when Robinson said that they were already looking at players & speaking to agents. I know the takeover may have scuppered things a bit, but that was only really revealed to the wider media last week, so having a proven goalscorer arriving at Sparrows lane yesterday shouldn't have been much of a problem.

Mavididi's arrival (if & when it happens) smacks of 10pm on August 31st...........and we know what happened then.
  • Options

He will be played wide nailed on.
  • Options
    A striker who has not played much football, a player that has never scored a goal in league. A striker who has suffered a major injury. Typical Charlton signing under Roland.

Yes he done ok for us last season in the 5 games he played, however if he never did that run against Rochdale when he missed I wonder how many would want him back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    league 1 is a far more physical league, where defenders will clatter you and a lot more slides i think, so i dont think hes the right fit were unfortunately in no mans land an owner thats not going to spend a penny as he wants to sell. and prospective new owners that wont buy in yet as its halfway through the season. for those thinking that a new owner is going to come in and give karl an open cheque book your a dreamer, if we had gone through december picking up points and still being within touching of autos and in playoff slots then the spending would be a lot more likely - but this is charlton so good things like that dont happen.
  • Options
    I know he did. but he also has a terrible injury and do we even know if he will be anywhere as good as though matches. We also need to score goals now, signing a striker who has never scored a league goal and has hardly played professional football is a massive risk. If we were a top 4 side with a decent team I would be all for it, but we are not.
    Hopefully he signs but we will still need a striker in my opinion.
  • Options
    Really hoped he signs. Was disappointed when we didn't get him in the summer and found him exciting to watch last season. Think he will do well......but I also think we will get promoted this season so I could be wrong on both counts!
  • Options
    If Mavididi can score one, he'll score more. He scored 20 in 40 games for the Arsenal u23's whilst he was 17. It's not easy to step up from the 17's to 23's and do that, especially in the Premier League 2.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Carter said:

He made a run and missed

It's another gamble, a desperate one. If anyone was serious about improving a squad that desperately needs strengthening they sign proven professionals, bringing in kids like this is fine when we are just adding an option or that is all that is needed. We need proper strengthening

Proven goalscorers are rare as hens teeth, and almost non-existent in Jan when you're a struggling League One club.
    There just may have been an agreement made that if Konsa (or someone else) is sold some of the money could be used to buy Doyle or Godden or whoever. I'd really be amazed if we buy without selling though.

I doubt we have many options on the loan front, and I think we could have ended up with a worse player than Mavididi. It's a gamble is some ways, but only if we were signing him to the exclusion of someone else.
    A previous poster said he was MotM in 3 out of his 5 starts for us, which is a good sign, and he has scored at a very decent youth level as @Dazzler21 showed:

- - - - - - - ------games-goals-assists
    Arsenal FC U23 -----40 - --20 --- 4
    Arsenal FC UEFA U19 18 - ---5 ---- 0

I imagine we'll hear more about Best's injury any time now. Would be happy with Best / Mavididi / KAG (and Mag) as striking options - under the circumstances we find ourselves in. But don't stick him wide. Either in the middle in a 442, or in place of Mag.

• Options

league 1 is a far more physical league, where defenders will clatter you and a lot more slides i think, so i dont think hes the right fit were unfortunately in no mans land an owner thats not going to spend a penny as he wants to sell. and prospective new owners that wont buy in yet as its halfway through the season. for those thinking that a new owner is going to come in and give karl an open cheque book your a dreamer, if we had gone through december picking up points and still being within touching of autos and in playoff slots then the spending would be a lot more likely - but this is charlton so good things like that dont happen.

I'm not sure that's the case, there may be physically strong opponents, but they're no more likely to hack you down than ones on the PL.
  • Options

I'm not sure that's the case, there may be physically strong opponents, but they're no more likely to hack you down than ones on the PL.
    imo it by far is the standard of reffing isn't as good all the fouls aren't analyzed by Jamie carragher etc
  • Options
    OFF TO WEMBERLY WE WILL GO
    EE EYE EE EYE EE EYE OH!!
  • Options

Another shallow PR gesture that will make zero difference on the pitch.

We need proven scorers and leaders not more injury prone kids with ripped jeans on loan.

this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

imo it by far is the standard of reffing isn't as good all the fouls aren't analyzed by Jamie carragher etc
    If anything the PL fouls can be worse, because the players are stronger and fitter and thus approaching at higher speed

Top rugby is far more dangerous than club rugby for this reason
  • Options
    You say that Killer, but actually the players know how to tackle properly in both those sports at the top level.

At the lower level, there's a lot more clumsiness.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

If anything the PL fouls can be worse, because the players are stronger and fitter and thus approaching at higher speed

Top rugby is far more dangerous than club rugby for this reason
    equally when i played at 15 a guy was left paralysed because of high tackle thus breaking his neck - i'm aware that is schoolboy stuff.

anyway veering off thread just imo the players arent as good so get a lot mistimed and a lot more hoofball and last ditch challenges
  • Options

Another shallow PR gesture that will make zero difference on the pitch.

We need proven scorers and leaders not more injury prone kids with ripped jeans on loan.

That's a given. We all know that. But this is League One Charlton with the club up for sale. Realistically Mavididi is as good as it's likely to get.
  • Options
    Good luck young man, hope you're a success.
  • Options

Not yet confirmed on the OS. Must be a slow day on there as the main story is about the ref we have for the Oldham game.

Planks
  • Options

Not yet confirmed on the OS. Must be a slow day on there as the main story is about the ref we have for the Oldham game.

Planks
    Which story do you expect them to run?

The player hasn't signed officially (although is @No.1 in South London says it's done then it is very close or done).

They can't write about the takeover and they wrote about the museum yesterday.

There is a story on the FA Youth cup.
  • Options

Thanks mate.
  • Options
    Saw him at Rochdale, he looked miles ahead of our collection of well meaning back packers
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Carter said:

He made a run and missed

It's another gamble, a desperate one. If anyone was serious about improving a squad that desperately needs strengthening they sign proven professionals, bringing in kids like this is fine when we are just adding an option or that is all that is needed. We need proper strengthening

Proven goalscorers are rare as hens teeth, and almost non-existent in Jan when you're a struggling League One club.
    There just may have been an agreement made that if Konsa (or someone else) is sold some of the money could be used to buy Doyle or Godden or whoever. I'd really be amazed if we buy without selling though.

I doubt we have many options on the loan front, and I think we could have ended up with a worse player than Mavididi. It's a gamble is some ways, but only if we were signing him to the exclusion of someone else.
    A previous poster said he was MotM in 3 out of his 5 starts for us, which is a good sign, and he has scored at a very decent youth level as @Dazzler21 showed:

- - - - - - - ------games-goals-assists
    Arsenal FC U23 -----40 - --20 --- 4
    Arsenal FC UEFA U19 18 - ---5 ---- 0

I imagine we'll hear more about Best's injury any time now. Would be happy with Best / Mavididi / KAG (and Mag) as striking options - under the circumstances we find ourselves in. But don't stick him wide. Either in the middle in a 442, or in place of Mag.

This.
    The demand for a 'proven goal-scorer' is as lazy a demand as it is naive.The same for demands that Robinson be sacked: who, exactly, do people expect him to be replaced by?
    We're a third division team that is unlikely be promoted this season, and only the desperate or underachieving would be tempted to join the present omnishambles.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!