Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham festival 2017 thread

Comments

• Options

thistlecrack to have another scan as injury not as bad at 1st thought.

Oh dear could this be another Kicking King? Thistlecrack has been layed at all prices up to 990 and is now 12.5 on Betfair.
  • Options
    Anyone going to the Betfair preview night on Weds?
  • Options
    im at the betbright one on thursday at walkabout temple, nick luck and rich ricci 2 of the guests.
  • Options
    Just read that Sam Twiston-Davies reckons that Altior would beat Douvan if he ran in the Queen Mother. Anyone agree?
  • Options
    got the betbright preview night tonight at walkabout temple will post there selections up here, the betfair one was last night, a pal watched.

noble endeavour was a popular pick for the charity bets.
    irish nap is deathduty
    paul nicholls and gordan elliot both said movewiththetimes
  • Options
    Betfair preview was good last night. Gordon Elliott convinced Death Duty will win. Noble Endeavour is his best handicap chance. Nicholls sweet on Wiltshire Lass in the Mares Novices and his French one in the final race on the first day.

Elliott says Tombstone will run in the County Hurdle and win. Also says his best chance in the GC would be Empire of the Dirt but owner wants to run it in the Ryanair!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

The one we attended last night;

Pk – bunk off early.
    melon looks a good horse but price too big for a horse that’s won a very easy race, and would be 5 times the odds if not trained by mullins

In the normal course of events I would agree with that summary. However, being fortunate to have the inside track on Melon, knowing what he's doing at home (smashing everything he works with, including Grade 1 winners!!) and his 'easy' race being on the bit for the entire race and a very fast time, I know he's around the right price now. Ricci knows all that as well!!
    ricci also being the chairman of betbright would it be in his interests for people not to back it?.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Pk – bunk off early.
    melon looks a good horse but price too big for a horse that’s won a very easy race, and would be 5 times the odds if not trained by mullins

In the normal course of events I would agree with that summary. However, being fortunate to have the inside track on Melon, knowing what he's doing at home (smashing everything he works with, including Grade 1 winners!!) and his 'easy' race being on the bit for the entire race and a very fast time, I know he's around the right price now. Ricci knows all that as well!!
    ricci also being the chairman of betbright would it be in his interests for people not to back it?.
    Quite possibly!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just got a text;

17:30 Wednesday Champion Bumper E/W Someday
    Rumour is the top 3 in the betting are all due to be withdrawn
  • Options
    limini has not been supplemented for the champion hurdle.
  • Options

limini has not been supplemented for the champion hurdle.

But Vroom Vroom Mag remains in.
  • Options
    Don Poli out of Gold Cup
  • Options
    Are you still very confident about Melon @bobmunro? Plenty seem against him on so will be a nice price it seems
  • Options

Are you still very confident about Melon @bobmunro? Plenty seem against him on so will be a nice price it seems

Yes - all the latest news from Closutton is very positive. He will go off favourite.

Of the ones ranging against him - Neon Wolf will go for the Neptune, we will know tomorrow of Moon Racer's plans - either Supreme, Champion Hurdle (or if the rumours are true he won't be running anywhere next week), and Melon is smashing Bunk off Early at home. Which leaves Ballyandy and I do not fear him at all.

I think the race will cut up leaving maybe 10 or less runners, and the only rain forecast is a few showers on Monday so the going should be no worse than Good to Soft which is perfect for Melon.

So yes, still very confident (but I've been in the game too long to spend my winnings just yet!).
  • Options
    according to the 'Times', this year will see extensive dope testing of both horses and riders as well as breath testing riders for excessive levels of alcohol .. NOT for the horses and luckily spectators will also avoid the latter tests .. I wonder how this will affect the Irish contingent ?
  • Options
    Last 2 years made about £100 each year without knowing anything about this sport. Someone introduced me to Super Heinz' - can't see me being as lucky this year. Will be monitoring this thread very closely over next few days

Good luck all
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes - all the latest news from Closutton is very positive. He will go off favourite.

Of the ones ranging against him - Neon Wolf will go for the Neptune, we will know tomorrow of Moon Racer's plans - either Supreme, Champion Hurdle (or if the rumours are true he won't be running anywhere next week), and Melon is smashing Bunk off Early at home. Which leaves Ballyandy and I do not fear him at all.

I think the race will cut up leaving maybe 10 or less runners, and the only rain forecast is a few showers on Monday so the going should be no worse than Good to Soft which is perfect for Melon.

So yes, still very confident (but I've been in the game too long to spend my winnings just yet!).
    Good stuff! And many thanks for the detailed reply.

Will be putting the Skybet score on it and hopefully get the week off to a great start
  • Options
    I'm going on Friday! Then driving up to Brammell Lane on the Sat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Betfair preview was good last night. Gordon Elliott convinced Death Duty will win. Noble Endeavour is his best handicap chance. Nicholls sweet on Wiltshire Lass in the Mares Novices and his French one in the final race on the first day.

Elliott says Tombstone will run in the County Hurdle and win. Also says his best chance in the GC would be Empire of the Dirt but owner wants to run it in the Ryanair!

Augusta Kate beats Death Duty all day long was travelling much stronger and coming to challenge and beat DD until falling at the last at Naas back in January 8th, AK all day
  • Options

Good little event £6.00 a ticket and I thought pretty good had a few offers, for attendees only;

Max stake £100.00

Native river or cue card to win the gc 5/2
    Altior to win the arkle evens
    Neon wolf to place 5/2

They covered 9 races in detail;

Panel was ;

Rich Ricci RR
    Paul kealy PK
    Joe Tizzard JT

Rich ricci pretty much confirmed that vroum vroum mag would be heading to the mares and it’s the champion hurdle for limini, although he said no definite decisions yet, but that’s where he thinks they will be going.

1.30pm Tuesday 14th march skybet supreme novices hurdle

Pk – bunk off early.

1.30pm Wednesday 15th march Neptune investment hurdle

Pk – neon wolf

2.50pm Friday 17th march albert barlett hurdle.

pk,jt west approach
    rr augusta kate

4.50pm Tuesday 14th march national hunt chase

Champers on ice

2.10pm Tuesday 14th march arkle.

Altior – will win all day long, not at a backable price

Charbel to chase it home.

1.30pm Thursday 16th march jlt novices chase

Yorkhill – major fancy.

Back top notch if heavy ground.

2.10pm Wednesday 15th march rsa steeplechase

Alpha des obeaux

3.30pm Tuesday 14th march champion hurdle

Pk – the new one

3.30pm Thursday 16th march stayers hurdle

Pk - Cole harden with soft ground

3.30pm Wednesday 15th march champion chase

Pk – fox Norton

2.40pm Thursday 16th march Ryanair chase

Pk – sizing john

3.30pm Friday 17th march gold cup

Jt,pk cue card
    Rr djakadam

Other tips on the night were

Brother ted – close brothers chase
    Alary – Ryanair chase
    Cause of causes – cross country

Best bets;

Joe tizzard – sizing condor
    Nick luck – neon wolf
    Rich ricci – djakadam

Native river is a top handicap horse and will not win a Grade 1 at Cheltenham
  • Options
    Might Bite is a banker for the RSA
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Gave quotes direct from stable regarding Moon Racer, backed up by Racing Post article on sport of kings thread he will either be withdrawn or if he does run will not be 100% fit has been carrying a knock for a while that they can't shake off.
  • Options
    Melon,

I can only back up what @bobmunro is saying we've spoke off line regarding this horse and are both getting the same signals out of Mullins yard from different sources.
  • Options
    When will the fields become more certain ? It's very frustrating not knowing. Some races Mullins has more than 20 runners listed.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Good little event £6.00 a ticket and I thought pretty good had a few offers, for attendees only;

Max stake £100.00

Native river or cue card to win the gc 5/2
    Altior to win the arkle evens
    Neon wolf to place 5/2

They covered 9 races in detail;

Panel was ;

Rich Ricci RR
    Paul kealy PK
    Joe Tizzard JT

Rich ricci pretty much confirmed that vroum vroum mag would be heading to the mares and it’s the champion hurdle for limini, although he said no definite decisions yet, but that’s where he thinks they will be going.

1.30pm Tuesday 14th march skybet supreme novices hurdle

Pk – bunk off early.

1.30pm Wednesday 15th march Neptune investment hurdle

Pk – neon wolf

2.50pm Friday 17th march albert barlett hurdle.

pk,jt west approach
    rr augusta kate

4.50pm Tuesday 14th march national hunt chase

Champers on ice

2.10pm Tuesday 14th march arkle.

Altior – will win all day long, not at a backable price

Charbel to chase it home.

1.30pm Thursday 16th march jlt novices chase

Yorkhill – major fancy.

Back top notch if heavy ground.

2.10pm Wednesday 15th march rsa steeplechase

Alpha des obeaux

3.30pm Tuesday 14th march champion hurdle

Pk – the new one

3.30pm Thursday 16th march stayers hurdle

Pk - Cole harden with soft ground

3.30pm Wednesday 15th march champion chase

Pk – fox Norton

2.40pm Thursday 16th march Ryanair chase

Pk – sizing john

3.30pm Friday 17th march gold cup

Jt,pk cue card
    Rr djakadam

Other tips on the night were

Brother ted – close brothers chase
    Alary – Ryanair chase
    Cause of causes – cross country

Best bets;

Joe tizzard – sizing condor
    Nick luck – neon wolf
    Rich ricci – djakadam

Native river is a top handicap horse and will not win a Grade 1 at Cheltenham
    I tend to agree with this .. I'm looking for a 'lively' outsider and might have to resort to the oracle .. my trusty pin ((:>)
  • Options

When will the fields become more certain ? It's very frustrating not knowing. Some races Mullins has more than 20 runners listed.

In the old days we didn't have such a monopoly of quality horses owned by four or five owners in NH racing. So the decent animals had one target and took each other on in the blue ribbon events. Now the likes of Giggingstown and Rici keep their plans close to their chest and re-direct their second and third strings to the other Cheltenham races or save them for Aintree or, more likely, Punchestown.

This, coupled with the Betfair Exchange offering clues that only the bookies and the very few were previously privy too, is why, in the last decade, we have seen so many favourites go in.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Melon,

I can only back up what @bobmunro is saying we've spoke off line regarding this horse and are both getting the same signals out of Mullins yard from different sources.

It's on you two if I can't have a bet for the rest of the week, have gone in heavy :')
  • Options
    Moon Racer going Champion Hurdle