Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Mo Farah

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

If Mo Farah was really committed to making the sport cleaner and fairer, he would dump his coach.

He may well be clean, but he's not helping the sport keeping Salazar in it.

The best athlete in the world should sack the man that made him the best athlete in the world becaue some people claim he might be guilty of drugs offences?
    When it's the United States Anti-Doping Agency, it carries slightly more weight.

The whole situation with supplements is basically a joke at this point. It's doping and everyone knows that every athlete is on multiple different supplements to enhance performance.
    Has Salazar been convicted? Or is he innocent?
    Look at it this way, have you ever heard of a movie character with a name like Salazar who wasn't a villain?
    I know of a man called Salazar who was a massive villain to most people in Portugal. But, like other extreme right wing despots, there are others who think he was wonderful...
  • Options

The reality is 'shock, horror', clean athlete been identified at sporting event.

Now that would be rare.

But perhaps not as rare as a Tour De France cyclist surely?
    The average premier league footballer can be expected to be drug tested once every two years. The average pro cyclist 25 times per year. That's 'average', BTW - if you win, you're tested more often.

Cycling used to have a massive problem with peds - absolutely endemic for decades. However, cyclists are now by far the most tested athletes in sport and the number of positives is almost negligible compared with, say, Oooooooh - Athletics.
    Well I sincerely hope you're right for the good of the sport but Sky's use of TUEs hardly paints it in the best possible light.
  • Options
    Some of Salazar's operating methods do seem to have operated on the edge of legality, it's a bit like Formula One designers, who bend and stretch the rules to get the tiny advantages that will enable their cars to be slightly faster...
  • Options
    All top sportspeople are on some supplement or other and take full advantage of technology is this field. whether currently legal or not. Dopers will always be ahead of the testers.

Is MO clean? probably in a legal sense yes, but lets not fool ourselves that he doesn't take every supplement he can.

• Options
    It would be easier to just ban drug testing.
    Let all athletes take anything they wanted, It would be great to see a Mens 100m in under 5 seconds.
  • Options
    Mo Farah. The athlete that took all he could in funding from the GB pot, urged the chancellor to crack down on tax avoidance and then applied to be a tax exile.

What a man :wink:
  • Options
    It really shows how stupid it can be to give honours prematurely.
    I don't know if he cheats but the idea he does is out there as it is with Wiggins.
    No sportsman should be honoured until at least some years after they retire and all is shown to be clean about their life in sport. (Incidentally I've never understood why they get honours unless they've done something extra in their sport or community. Surely winning prestige within their sport should be enough.)
  • Options
    Greenie said:

It would be easier to just ban drug testing.
    Let all athletes take anything they wanted, It would be great to see a Mens 100m in under 5 seconds.

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. A suppository or some Ducoese just before they get on the blocks. That should see some new world records.

• Options

The reality is 'shock, horror', clean athlete been identified at sporting event.

Now that would be rare.

But perhaps not as rare as a Tour De France cyclist surely?
    The average premier league footballer can be expected to be drug tested once every two years. The average pro cyclist 25 times per year. That's 'average', BTW - if you win, you're tested more often.

Cycling used to have a massive problem with peds - absolutely endemic for decades. However, cyclists are now by far the most tested athletes in sport and the number of positives is almost negligible compared with, say, Oooooooh - Athletics.
    Well I sincerely hope you're right for the good of the sport but Sky's use of TUEs hardly paints it in the best possible light.
    #1 - Why? Even if you don't think having a TUE is within the spirit of the rules, the rules haven't been broken. Tighten the rules up so that you can't give TUEs, and then there won't be any argument. Until then, there is no 'grey area' - either the drug is legal, and the rules have been followed, or it isn't, and they haven't. End of.

#2 - Most cycling fans, contrary to what people in this country believe, actually don't like Sky (or are at best ambivalent towards them). Nobody makes a distinction between them doping and any other team doing it. That would be like saying that you hope Man Utd aren't doping 'for the good of the sport' - if they were found to be doping, the sport would go on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Whatever, just glad we're not letting TERRORISTS like him into my country!!!*

No but seriously, because of the Muslim ban he might not be able to enter the US, where I believe he does a fair amount of training because we don't understand subtly or nuance or how humanity works.

;-)
  • Options
    Britain does incredibly well at the Olympics, because our elite Olympic sports are run in a very professional and ruthless way, designed to win lots of medals. Salazar is outside the system, but his approach isn't much different from UK cycling's. It's a world away from how it used to be 20 years ago...
  • Options

Britain does incredibly well at the Olympics, because our elite Olympic sports are run in a very professional and ruthless way, designed to win lots of medals. Salazar is outside the system, but his approach isn't much different from UK cycling's. It's a world away from how it used to be 20 years ago...

That's a great point, and something that highlights how disingenuous the frothing at the mouth brigade at the Daily Fail are. They're all over British Olympic success, because it fits nicely into the jingoistic, flag-waving, Rule Britannia, middle-England agenda. But then are quick to try and find any angle to exploit Beaverbook's feud with Murdoch (witness their current hatchet job on Wiggins, and them jumping up and down in faux apoplexy about Victoria Pendleton's spat with Shane Sutton)

It's transparent and pathetic. Cycling would be better off if Sky just f***ed off completely, TBH. They do nothing for the sport as a whole, attract controversy because of Murdoch and ruin racing in the tour as a spectacle
  • Options
    how does everyone see this Mohamed thing working out?

cant see it taking off really
  • Options
    I thought Mo was short for Maurice?!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I thought Mo was short for Maurice?!

Not Morris?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Ask Andy Andrew Cole.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I used to captain a cricket team .. one of our fastest bowlers was a demon from Nigeria, (actually a London born Nigerian), Mo Idriss ..
    after one particularly fearsome spell when he virtually skittled the opposition, he said to me .. 'from now on I am Mohammed Idriss' .. 'keep bowling like that son' said I, 'and we'll call you the prophet if you like' .. a terrific competitor was Mo/Mohammed and a really nice man ((:>)
  • Options
    Should be joining Coe with lordship status.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's earned the right to ask us to call him whatever he likes, one of the greatest British sporting heroes of all time.
  • Options
    Can someone clear this up for me please? (Note I have no issue with either case)

Mo Farah born in Somalia to an English Father... Chris Froome born in Kenya to English Father and Mother

Yet for some reason it's acceptable for Mo Farah to be "British" but not Froome?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

He's earned the right to ask us to call him whatever he likes, one of the greatest British sporting heroes of all time.

I've missed this, what does he want to be known as?
  • Options
    Why do we as a nation love to build people up only to relish knocking them back down!

Just let everyone take whatever drugs they want and then it's all fair
  • Options

Can someone clear this up for me please? (Note I have no issue with either case)

Mo Farah born in Somalia to an English Father... Chris Froome born in Kenya to English Father and Mother

Yet for some reason it's acceptable for Mo Farah to be "British" but not Froome?

Mo Farah came to England aged 8, and then grew up in London. Froome has basically never lived in the UK
    Why is that an issue?

Froome's job requires him to train on endless mountains so can see why he doesnt do that here seeing our mountains become dangerous during the winter... When he isnt training he's racing around the world in various UCI World Tour events.

For Farah its easier because he only occasionally has to deal with altitude training which he does in Africa the rest of the time he can do his track training here in the UK
  • Options

se9addick said:

now he is sticking to street racing he wants to be known as Mohamed, Mo was the track racer and that is behind him now.

• Options

Mo Farah came to England aged 8, and then grew up in London. Froome has basically never lived in the UK
    Why is that an issue?

Froome's job requires him to train on endless mountains so can see why he doesnt do that here seeing our mountains become dangerous during the winter... When he isnt training he's racing around the world in various UCI World Tour events.

For Farah its easier because he only occasionally has to deal with altitude training which he does in Africa the rest of the time he can do his track training here in the UK
    Doesn't Farah live and train most of the time in the US now?

I'm happy for Froome to be considered British if that's how he self identifies.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Why is that an issue?

Doesn't Farah live and train most of the time in the US now?

I'm happy for Froome to be considered British if that's how he self identifies.
    To be honest Ive fallen into my own trap of not wanting to actually open a debate about Froome etc. when its a Farah thread.

Should have posted my original comment on the General Things that Annoy You thread as this is one of those things for me when both great British Sportsmen, both want to represent GB yet there are people out there who have issue with it
  • Options

se9addick said:

now he is sticking to street racing he wants to be known as Mohamed, Mo was the track racer and that is behind him now.

Cheers, not really headline news is it. Will he do the Mohamed bot if he wins now?