Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Mo Farah

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I have no problem with people with with British parentage (or even grand parentage at a push) being classified as British - regardless of where they were born and/or raised.

I do however think that the residency rules for sportsmen/women where you can suddenly 'become' a national just because you've lived here for xx years is going too far.

Many sports and nations now embrace this. I think that if you cannot cultivate enough top quality 'home grown' athletes, then you should have to suffer the consequences of being a nation that is crap at that particular sport.
  • Options

se9addick said:

He's earned the right to ask us to call him whatever he likes, one of the greatest British sporting heroes of all time.

I've missed this, what does he want to be known as?
    now he is sticking to street racing he wants to be known as Mohamed, Mo was the track racer and that is behind him now.

Cheers, not really headline news is it. Will he do the Mohamed bot if he wins now?
    he'll do it with arms/hands AND legs/feet
  • Options

Can someone clear this up for me please? (Note I have no issue with either case)

Mo Farah born in Somalia to an English Father... Chris Froome born in Kenya to English Father and Mother

Yet for some reason it's acceptable for Mo Farah to be "British" but not Froome?

Mo Farah came to England aged 8, and then grew up in London. Froome has basically never lived in the UK
    Why is that an issue?

Froome's job requires him to train on endless mountains so can see why he doesnt do that here seeing our mountains become dangerous during the winter... When he isnt training he's racing around the world in various UCI World Tour events.

For Farah its easier because he only occasionally has to deal with altitude training which he does in Africa the rest of the time he can do his track training here in the UK
    Froome grew up in Kenya and South Africa, and even competed for Kenya in the 2006 Commonwealth Games. He became a cyclist in Africa, not the UK. To me that's what makes his Britishness a bit token

But then I find international sport a bit farcical, when people can play football for a country because of one grandparent. Or African athletes run for Gulf states who offer them more money. Or rugby players getting poached by richer countries from poorer countries
    Ah that makes sense as didnt realise he raced for Kenya at the Commonwealth Games - I too find it frustrating especially with the likes of Diego Costa, especially as he's off sulking in Brazil rather than Spain whom he now chooses to play with!!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Johanna Konta is another example.

Hungarian parents + born in Australia = British
  • Options
    Plastic Pommies, the lot of them!

Kind regards
    Tel

County Plumstead!! :wink:
  • Options

Johanna Konta is another example.

Hungarian parents + born in Australia = British

Exactly my point from above.

If there is no requirement to tie back nationality to parents or place of birth then international sport becomes like the Premiership where those 'franchises' with the deepest pockets get the best players.

• Options
    He will always be Mo to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    TelMc32 said:

Plastic Pommies, the lot of them!

Kind regards
    Tel

County Plumstead!! :wink:

Bakelite Brits?
  • Options
    Konta is an extreme example, no idea how she could reasonably be considered as British. Think she might even live in Spain a lot of the time now for training purposes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moved here at 14/15 and took British Citizenship when she could
  • Options

se9addick said:

He's earned the right to ask us to call him whatever he likes, one of the greatest British sporting heroes of all time.

I've missed this, what does he want to be known as?
    Sarah.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

se9addick said:

Konta is an extreme example, no idea how she could reasonably be considered as British. Think she might even live in Spain a lot of the time now for training purposes.

Let me help you out, if you really are struggling with how "she could reasonably be considered as British".

First, and most importantly, she *is* British.

But if you need more, here goes. Obviously she can't be held responsible for the nationality of her parents (Hungarian) or her place of birth (Sydney). But she moved to the UK when she was 14 - almost half her life ago. And she took British Nationality in 2012. She has a British passport - she didn't "switch" from one country to another as an adult. From the time she took British nationality, she has only ever represented her country: Great Britain. Within a year of taking out British citizenship, she represented GB in the Fed Cup. In the same year, she rose to number 2 in Britain. Three years later, she competed for Team GB in the 2016 Rio Olympics.

She has a British passport, took out British citizenship, competes in the British Fed Cup team, is a British Olympic athlete and she lives in Eastbourne.

If that's not "British", I don't know what is.
    Yeah I'm still not having it, but I don't make nationality law.
  • Options
    I think I'm right in saying she only came here because Tennis Australia would not back her financially. Not convinced she actually lives in Eastbourne. She may have a house there, but living there? I'm curious to know.

Agree that Froome isn't British, certainly in my eyes. I see Mo as British and pretty much through and through, just wish he hadn't got that whiff of Salazar around him.
  • Options
    Greg Rusedski is another one whose British credentials when he started representing us were a bit weak. It would have been interesting how the country would have reacted if he had won the US open, and then went on to win Wimbledon
  • Options
    Rusedski just looks Canadian though. And sounds it.

I find it a bit weird. I mean, I find myself supporting the British/English teams and athletes by default, but dig down and the whole idea of national identity is a bit nebulous. I mean, what's more important? Your passport, your country of birth? Your parent's country of birth? Grandparents? Must all have been born in the same country for it to really count?

I try to not think too deeply about it, which is probably for the best when it comes to nationalism
  • Options
    I look beyond the nationality in individual sports ... are they a back and front or not . Then I'll decide if I support them
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Tramp said:

I think I'm right in saying she only came here because Tennis Australia would not back her financially. Not convinced she actually lives in Eastbourne. She may have a house there, but living there? I'm curious to know.

Agree that Froome isn't British, certainly in my eyes. I see Mo as British and pretty much through and through, just wish he hadn't got that whiff of Salazar around him.

During Wimbledon they kept banging on about her soon moving into a flat in Clapham, or somewhere similar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

SDAddick said:

Whatever, just glad we're not letting TERRORISTS like him into my country!!!*

No but seriously, because of the Muslim ban he might not be able to enter the US, where I believe he does a fair amount of training because we don't understand subtly or nuance or how Islam works.

He LIVES in the US, with his family.

(Although, it would be great if this thread didn't divert into the wrong direction).
    I always thought he was a cockney
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Zola Budd
    Greg Rusedski
    Lennox Lewis
    Mo Farah
    Konta

Can all kiss my hairy spotty (British) arse

The Lennox Lewis that was born in London and lived here until he was 12?
  • Options

DA9 said:

Zola Budd
    Greg Rusedski
    Lennox Lewis
    Mo Farah
    Konta

Can all kiss my hairy spotty (British) arse

The Lennox Lewis that was born in London and lived here until he was 12?
    yeah him, bloody foreigner coming over here stealing our jobs
  • Options
    I thought this thread would be all about whether he was a drugs cheat or not. Spoken to loads who reckon he is. Any inside info?
  • Options

I thought this thread would be all about whether he was a drugs cheat or not. Spoken to loads who reckon he is. Any inside info?

Who have you spoken to that "reckon he is"?

Honestly, if he was, I reckon he would have been caught by now.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Who have you spoken to that "reckon he is"?

Honestly, if he was, I reckon he would have been caught by now.
    They can't catch him he's too fast ;0)
  • Options

Everyone at the top level of sports is. In every sport.
  • Options

Really?
  • Options

Bloody hell how bad would some of our recent players be WITHOUT performance enhancing drugs?!?