Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

#UnityProtest in Sint-Truiden - Official Protest/'Match' Thread 3rd/4th March 2017

Comments

• Options
    Local coverage this time in French. That's to our main contact with STVV for his comments at the end. He is slightly worried he didn't switch easily out of his English interviews into the French but it sounds good to me.

www.rtl.be/videos/categorie/rtl-sport/3512.aspx
  • Options
    Great thread, well done all of you
  • Options

@Addickted

Yes you missed my earlier post, clearly

Left house 08.05 ( 10 mins earlier than I forecast)

Arrived S-T 13.18, CET

Journey time 4.13

Relaxed, fed and ready to roll...

Left house 08.34

Arrived Folkestone 09.08 got 09.50 (half hour later than planned)

Hit St Truiden sign just before Stayen roundabout at 14.06 local time.

Journey time: 4.31. Average mpg 41.3.

Close, but not close enough. However if we weren't knocked back 30 minutes by Eurotunnel the waffle would have been mine.

Well done.

• Options
    Does anyone know the average attendance at STTV ?
  • Options

This season the "official" figure is around 8k
  • Options

7000 according to Soccerway.

This season they've had as low as 4k and as many as 11500.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

@Addickted

Yes you missed my earlier post, clearly

Left house 08.05 ( 10 mins earlier than I forecast)

Arrived S-T 13.18, CET

Journey time 4.13

Relaxed, fed and ready to roll...

Left house 08.34

Arrived Folkestone 09.08 got 09.50 (half hour later than planned)

Hit St Truiden sign just before Stayen roundabout at 14.06 local time.

Journey time: 4.31. Average mpg 41.3.

Close, but not close enough. However if we weren't knocked back 30 minutes by Eurotunnel the waffle would have been mine.

Well done.

Well if we had not made that tight connection in Brussels you would have won. But the train is such a great crack. On the way back the guy across the gangway was a German who supports Moenchengladbach.

Next time join the Eurostar Hotheads. Stick with me, I will guide you through those intimidating foreign railway stations. :-)
  • Options
    flexiplus would have made this a certain win for the car crew.
  • Options

flexiplus would have made this a certain win for the car crew.

WTF Is flexiplus?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the offer, but I avoid public transport at every possible opportunity.
  • Options
    Flexi-plus is a flexible ticket you can buy on the Chunnel if you have a car less than 1.8m tall. It is hugely expensive compared to a fixed time booking but you get preferential treatment at passport control, you get to avoid any queuing anywhere and you get on the next train nearly every time even if that is only two minutes before boarding closes.

You drive past all the people waiting right up to the down ramp for boarding, and the hugely irritated people who have been queueing for hours for a busy train have to let you in about 200 yards before you drive onto the train.
  • Options
    @Alwaysneil

Ah ok. But if I had imposed on my sister who lives close to my Mum for a lift, I could easily have left at 08.30 and still had time for a coffee and foto with the crew. Ebbsfleet is the coolest, most laid back place to start a journey off the island, and it is on the doorstep of most of the tribe.
  • Options
    I've only ever left from ebbsfleet station once, I went by taxi but I think you can also park reasonably.

For me it's about the cost. You can get 4 people in a decent sized car for roughly the same price as 1 or maybe 2 on the train?
  • Options
    And if you need to move around quickly at the other end having the car is a good thing. Not sure Sint Truiden has a full on über service as yet.
  • Options

garfield said:

@LargeAddick wrote:

In Ypres at the moment at the Menin Gate, very humbling.

Was there last year, hugely moving
    Don't mind admitting I had a tear or two in my eyes. The visit to Nobby Nightingale's grave was moving too. The fact that they play the Last Post at the Menin Gate every evening at 8pm and will continue to do so until it's been played once for every single one of the 55,000 remembered there is a poignant reminder of the ultimate sacrifice made by so many on our behalf. Played about 20,000 times so far so a way to go yet. I will be returning one day soon to hear it for myself. RIP lads.

As far as I know, the plan is for the last post to be played at the Menin Gate in perpetuity and not to stop when it has reached a certain figure.

Although the Menin Gate lists a large proportion of the missing from the fighting in the Salient, tens of thousands of others are commemorated elsewhere such as at Tyne Cot memorial just below Passchendaele.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

garfield said:

@LargeAddick wrote:

Don't mind admitting I had a tear or two in my eyes. The visit to Nobby Nightingale's grave was moving too. The fact that they play the Last Post at the Menin Gate every evening at 8pm and will continue to do so until it's been played once for every single one of the 55,000 remembered there is a poignant reminder of the ultimate sacrifice made by so many on our behalf. Played about 20,000 times so far so a way to go yet. I will be returning one day soon to hear it for myself. RIP lads.

As far as I know, the plan is for the last post to be played at the Menin Gate in perpetuity and not to stop when it has reached a certain figure.

Although the Menin Gate lists a large proportion of the missing from the fighting in the Salient, tens of thousands of others are commemorated elsewhere such as at Tyne Cot memorial just below Passchendaele.
    my mistake then regarding The Last Post. Was it you doing our guided tour or SE7toSG3?
  • Options

Mametz said:

garfield said:

@LargeAddick wrote:

my mistake then regarding The Last Post. Was it you doing our guided tour or SE7toSG3?
    I wasn't me.

I gave the B20 a quick tour around the Messines Ridge on our way back from Sint Truiden on Rememberance Sunday. I waffled on enough to ensure that we missed our shuttle at the tunnel and had to wait three hours to get the next available one!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Still in Belgium and now have a copy of today's Het Belanger Van Limburg. May be online of course but printed version has half a page on the Unity protest on page 17.

Need @weggieaddick for this but the byline reads:

Zo'n tweehondred supporters van de Englese voetbalclub Charlton hebben zaterdagavond een mars gehouden tegen Roland Duchatelet in Sint-Truiden. Met heel wat spandoeken, zwarte ballonnen en zelfs een Duchatelet-pop in de optocht werd er geroepen en gezongen on het vertrek van Duchatelet als eigenaar van de Britse Club.

Can guess bits of it but over to you and Weggie.
    Will scan the article when I get back but there is a quote from an STVV fan and one from Pete Golding. I think alles in geode banen quote from Police must be good. Congrats each and all. The message certainly out there in the regional press where RD has his base.

COYR @Coyotejohn1947
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere but ITV showed the footage on the news this morning. Looked good but probably spoilt with the commentary that Charlton fans travelled the 600 miles to protest about the club's poor run of results recently
  • Options

On Saturday evening some two hundred supporters of English football club Charlton held a march in ST against RD. With many banners, black balloons and even a Duchatelet doll [effigy] in the parade there was chanting and singing for the departure of RD as owner of the British club.
  • Options
    You beat me to it @GlassHalfFull -thanks! Glad you are up bright and early after your late night and fall.
  • Options
    @LargeAddick @Mametz the memorial is the 'in perpetuity' as part of the CWGC agreement but the Last Post Association established by the town fire service promised to sound the Last Post a minimum 55,000 times, I suspect when they reach that and we are all long gone it may be extended (perhaps for the further 33,000 names on the walls atTynecot).

Lets hope Rolands reign is over by then!
  • Options

Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere but ITV showed the footage on the news this morning. Looked good but probably spoilt with the commentary that Charlton fans travelled the 600 miles to protest about the club's poor run of results recently

Unbelievable! Really! ITV had people at the bar, on the coaches etc. Did Danny Murphy smuggle himself away on the trip incognito and sat next to the ITV crew?
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

@LargeAddick @Mametz the memorial is the 'in perpetuity' as part of the CWGC agreement but the Last Post Association established by the town fire service promised to sound the Last Post a minimum 55,000 times, I suspect when they reach that and we are all long gone it may be extended (perhaps for the further 33,000 names on the walls atTynecot).

Lets hope Rolands reign is over by then!

Cheers for that, Clive.
  • Options
    Just been featured on GMB London news.
  • Options

You beat me to it @GlassHalfFull -thanks! Glad you are up bright and early after your late night and fall.

Nae bother !! Just waiting for the District Nurse to pop in to patch me up. Mainly some abrasions and I've lost about 2 sq in of skin above my left eye, but I partly broke my fall with my hooter which is now dressing slightly to the East - my God, I'm turning into Mick McCarthy !!

Trying to think of a Dutch word that describes a person who uses the term azijnpisser about his customers - no, not presidential - what do you think of hork : a jerk, or yokel maybe ?