Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

#UnityProtest in Sint-Truiden - Official Protest/'Match' Thread 3rd/4th March 2017

Comments

• Options

leuke ordedienst manifestatie #CAFC. Goede afspraken met organisatoren, perfecte uitvoering door medewerkers.

Tweet from police chief which I think says the march was well organised and the marchers behaved very well.

Must be disappointing for Duchatelet and Meire who were predicting and hoping for trouble so they could discredit the protests.

Another serious underestimation on their part. As you say, they picked the wrong club.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere but ITV showed the footage on the news this morning. Looked good but probably spoilt with the commentary that Charlton fans travelled the 600 miles to protest about the club's poor run of results recently

I mentioned this on the there thread. It felt to me like Amy from ITV already knew what her story was and just wanted to get bits of film to fit around that. Including various staged bits of chanting etc. The BBC guys seemed to me more interested in finding out what was actually going on. Had a fairly long informal chat with them on the ferry so hopefully they got the message a bit more.. we will see. I think they said theirs was due to be broadcast tonight.
  • Options

Local coverage this time in French. That's to our main contact with STVV for his comments at the end. He is slightly worried he didn't switch easily out of his English interviews into the French but it sounds good to me.

www.rtl.be/videos/categorie/rtl-sport/3512.aspx

Bumping this post, because I don't think the link is standing out.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    seth plum said:

Roland commented that the Mayor would be held accountable for any trouble, fuelling the stereotype of English hooligans abroad. There were also some Charlton fans who had commented that the Belgians wouldn't take kindly to our presence at a sensitive time in a country wary and on a hair trigger.
    Leaving aside any possible impact of the event, and any possible publicity I would like to add for the record that there was no trouble caused by Charlton fans at all.
    None.
    That's it.

There are always going to be one or two 'vinegar pissers'. Fits them better than us IMO. We back up dissatifaction with a willingness to do something about it! That the irony will be lost on them is a little amusing!
  • Options
    Based on the experience of the Olympic Stadium campaign, I am not at all surprised to read the relative assessments of the BBC's Chris Slegg, and ITV's Amy Lewis. Only worry is because the BBC are much better at actually gathering news ( rather than pre-determining what the news is) something else might come along to shorten or bump off Chris's piece tonight. Cross fingers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amy. I think the clue might have been in the title.

Unity protest.

Did STVV fans get any mention on ITV?

They certainly figure prominently in the Het Belang van Limburg piece in the printed paper of today.
  • Options
    Not seen the early ITV stuff but could be whichever editor is in charge of those morning bulletins getting the wrong end of the stick and conflating KR's implosion with the protest. I'd hope CARD would be in touch with the news desk to give them a prod for later on.
  • Options
    @CAFC
    Delighted at our own media coverage, but let's not get all media-whorish on this.

Hoping pieces get run tonight on BBC and itv local news however!
  • Options

I've only ever left from ebbsfleet station once, I went by taxi but I think you can also park reasonably.

For me it's about the cost. You can get 4 people in a decent sized car for roughly the same price as 1 or maybe 2 on the train?

Sure, the economics are unarguable. The train is the option for those who can afford a bit more, and perhaps like me are bad car passengers. That said, I discovered that Eurostar offer discounts of around 25-30% for groups of 10 or more. If we go again, I volunteer to be official Eurostar co-ordinator including the sprint through Brussels Midi station:-)

I can vouch for Prague , he was tour leader and led myself , TCE , threadkiller , mosscat, onlyme and daughter to make the connection .
    We needed a grown up in the group and he took the lead .
    First time on Eurostar for me and it was soooo easy and a no brainer , if finances allow .
  • Options

I've only ever left from ebbsfleet station once, I went by taxi but I think you can also park reasonably.

For me it's about the cost. You can get 4 people in a decent sized car for roughly the same price as 1 or maybe 2 on the train?

Sure, the economics are unarguable. The train is the option for those who can afford a bit more, and perhaps like me are bad car passengers. That said, I discovered that Eurostar offer discounts of around 25-30% for groups of 10 or more. If we go again, I volunteer to be official Eurostar co-ordinator including the sprint through Brussels Midi station:-)

Would any training be required for this run?
  • Options
    Running 'to catch your connection' is just so un cool. Just get the next train. Relax.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

we got there and it was delayed anyway
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere but ITV showed the footage on the news this morning. Looked good but probably spoilt with the commentary that Charlton fans travelled the 600 miles to protest about the club's poor run of results recently

I mentioned this on the there thread. It felt to me like Amy from ITV already knew what her story was and just wanted to get bits of film to fit around that. Including various staged bits of chanting etc. The BBC guys seemed to me more interested in finding out what was actually going on. Had a fairly long informal chat with them on the ferry so hopefully they got the message a bit more.. we will see. I think they said theirs was due to be broadcast tonight.
    I've just sent Amy a gentle email (she's a colleague) so fingers crossed...
    It was just my take on the way it seemed. May not be the case but thats the way it came across to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

I've just sent Amy a gentle email (she's a colleague) so fingers crossed...
    It was just my take on the way it seemed. May not be the case but thats the way it came across to me.
    I've tried to engage her before about the Addicks but she seems to glaze over. Jimmy who?
  • Options
    Massive PR failure for the club according to Airman's twitter account. Seems that Rubashow and the comms team implied free coach travel for all 1400 traveling fans......oh dear
  • Options

Apologies if mentioned already, but any actual contact or sightings of Roland or did he take heed of the notice protestors would be in town and stay indoors?

He was in Stayen today, because by coincidence when we were there I bumped into Anders, the Marketing manager of Jena. Apparently Jena's new chairman was there for a meeting. it's fair to assume they stayed for the game, and for sure will have been aware of the protests.

I was staying at Stayen and was approached at breakfast on Sunday, by a member of Jena (I don't know his precise position). He confirmed that a meeting had taken place between Jena and Duchatelet the previous day. Whilst the Jean guy clearly did not provide any details of the meeting, he did state that (a) he understood the reasons behind our protest (without taking a position either side: (b) he said that they have a good working relationship with Duchatelet (speaking of course, not as a supporter of Jena) but as a "director" or some similar role.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Apologies if mentioned already, but any actual contact or sightings of Roland or did he take heed of the notice protestors would be in town and stay indoors?

He was in Stayen today, because by coincidence when we were there I bumped into Anders, the Marketing manager of Jena. Apparently Jena's new chairman was there for a meeting. it's fair to assume they stayed for the game, and for sure will have been aware of the protests.

I was staying at Stayen and was approached at breakfast on Sunday, by a member of Jena (I don't know his precise position). He confirmed that a meeting had taken place between Jena and Duchatelet the previous day. Whilst the Jean guy clearly did not provide any details of the meeting, he did state that (a) he understood the reasons behind our protest (without taking a position either side: (b) he said that they have a good working relationship with Duchatelet (speaking of course, not as a supporter of Jena) but as a "director" or some similar role.
    An article currently on FCC's website refers to ongoing and fruitful negotiations concerning the proposed new stadium, The SüdKurve (Ultras) have long demanded a say to ensure the continued existence of their dedicated area of the ground. Not only are they having input, giving them some kind of binding responsibility is being written into the stadium contracts. The city is the principal stakeholder, of course, but RD is being courted to provide €26m out of the total cost of €41m. I have no idea how the Ultras' obligations would be enforced.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

An article currently on FCC's website refers to ongoing and fruitful negotiations concerning the proposed new stadium, The SüdKurve (Ultras) have long demanded a say to ensure the continued existence of their dedicated area of the ground. Not only are they having input, giving them some kind of binding responsibility is being written into the stadium contracts. The city is the principal stakeholder, of course, but RD is being courted to provide €26m out of the total cost of €41m. I have no idea how the Ultras' obligations would be enforced.
    Thanks
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Massive PR failure for the club according to Airman's twitter account. Seems that Rubashow and the comms team implied free coach travel for all 1400 traveling fans......oh dear

Lying is part of the job description when you work for Pinocchio.
  • Options

we got there and it was delayed anyway

Did you take that photo after drinking all the Belgium beer, looks like you are on your back :smile:
  • Options
    For anyone outside London but with Sky or Freesat, ITV London is on Sky 973 and Freesat 977; BBC London is 974 on Sky, 950 on Freesat.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    PeterGage said:

If the guy you met was early 30s and dark haired, that sounds like Anders. (But maybe not as He said he wasn't staying Saturday night) He's a good guy, we think. There is a very important point to always remember about Jena. Thanks to the German 50 plus 1 rule, he is a minority shareholder. It was Anders who explained to @GlassHalfFull and I that when RD presented his network player concept, they listened politely and decided it was not for Jena. I think that if RD appointed football professionals, and then delegated responsibilty to them, we would have a good working relationship with him too !