Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR DINNER - CANCELLED

Comments

• I have never been to the POTY, but was looking forward to the possibility of, this year, sharing a table with my fellow WARrriors who I met for the first time in Belgium. I know it would have been a great evening because of Jean (and others) input. Going ahead without her involvement would have been unthinkable.

However you say it, there is only one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BKdH2XDRQ
  • edited March 2017
    bellz2002 said:

I was told by someone (who shall remain nameless) that the two reasons that Jean is not allowed to be associated with it are that she wrote a nasty letter to Katrien and as she's not part of the Fans Forum anymore she's not entitled to help run it.

At the time I thought those comments were ridiculous and based in bitterness / told lies from someone within the club.

See above: "Instructions came that the club would no longer accept Fanny as one of the organisers as a result of an email that she forwarded to a member of the club staff in error."

Marilyn Toft is not a member of the FF either, to my knowledge.

Meire may have any number of hidden motives but the reason the club has put forward and based its decision on is in the original post.

• bellz2002 said:

I was told by someone (who shall remain nameless) that the two reasons that Jean is not allowed to be associated with it are that she wrote a nasty letter to Katrien and as she's not part of the Fans Forum anymore she's not entitled to help run it.

At the time I thought those comments were ridiculous and based in bitterness / told lies from someone within the club.

See above: "Instructions came that the club would no longer accept Fanny as one of the organisers as a result of an email that she forwarded to a member of the club staff in error."

Marilyn Toft is not a member of the FF, to my knowledge.
    Exactly. Knew it was a load of rubbish when I heard it.
  • If the club wish to organise a POTY vote then I would recommend everyone to vote for Roger Johnson as he is clearly their sort of player. Perhaps the real POTY event could be at the Valley before/during/after the Swindon game if the current fascists are still in charge.
  • bellz2002 said:

I wouldn't believe anything that John Comberford says.
  • Sponsored links:

• This seems to be another example of the club (primarily Meire as this is her remit) not understanding the supporters and wanting to take over everything to marginalise them, and the bulk of supporters (obviously with exceptions) seeing anything the club does as an attack. I am not surprised Meire wanted to take this over, only that it took her this long.

Any attempts to organise a club-run event should be avoided. The POTY award(s) can be announced via social media etc and low-key presentations made and photographed privately. It's a great shame it has come to this.
  • edited March 2017
    The correct decision from Jean & Ian.

Hopefully this is the spectacular own goal by the SMT that sees them on their way.

Just when you feel you couldn't hate our owner and management more, something else happens to increase that hate.
  • I think the correct decision has been made by Ian Jean and Marilyn. I do find it weird and I possibly mean unique probably both that a CEO would want to get involved at all. She is mad.
  • Book a room above a boozer. Tweet Jacko see if he can round some players up. Hold it as an unofficial POTY dinner.

This might put the players in a very difficult situation, which would not be fair on them.
  • What a disgrace. An alternative with or without players would be good.
  • From what I've heard the email doesn't amount to anything that would do any more than make people on here laugh and nod in agreement. It's the club that would be more embarrassed if it came out this is what they were complaining about rather than the author.

Add this to the 'getting to know the network' podcast. Anything to make de cloob look incompetent and stupid
  • BDL said:

Given that @Fanny Fanackapan is the current fan of the year I'd say it's yet another own goal by de Cloob.

If the thing we all hope is currently happening doesn't happen then they'll go ahead and do their own thing, Commerford and his bunch of fools will be there.

@killerjerrylee do you have the trophy? As that doesn't belong to the club.

Not if we picket it !
  • Sponsored links:

• Cancellation the only respectful option. Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to run their rival event in the circumstances, would they? East Kent Addicks - did you vote on this or was your support for Meire's plan just the actions of Chairman Comberford, the Regime Brown-Noser? Not fit to represent a supporters' group.
  • Cancellation the only respectful option. Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to run their rival event in the circumstances, would they? East Kent Addicks - did you vote on this or was your support for Meire's plan just the actions of Chairman Comberford, the Regime Brown-Noser? Not fit to represent a supporters' group.

He's stepping down this month I believe, incidentally. I find it hard to imagine his views are representative of all EKA members, not least because I'm one.
  • The way it used to work was that things would be brought up at a committee meeting. Then the committee members would agree / majority agree on action to take without asking the general membership. I presumed most supporter groups did / do the same.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Is anyone able to work out the last time there was no Player of the Year Do. Can't think of single season this had happened in the previous 35 seasons past.

Great credit to the organisers for telling the club where to go.

1972. The the award was retrospectively given to Keith Peacock, I believe as part of the Centenary celebrations in 2005.
  • edited March 2017
    Stig said:

JohnnyH2 said:

Is anyone able to work out the last time there was no Player of the Year Do. Can't think of single season this had happened in the previous 35 seasons past.

Great credit to the organisers for telling the club where to go.

1972. The the award was retrospectively given to Keith Peacock, I believe as part of the Centenary celebrations in 2005.
    Sorry, that's the last time there wasn't an award. I don't know if there's always been a do in that time or whether there had been one in 1972 an no-one bothered recording the result.
  • rikofold said:

Cancellation the only respectful option. Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to run their rival event in the circumstances, would they? East Kent Addicks - did you vote on this or was your support for Meire's plan just the actions of Chairman Comberford, the Regime Brown-Noser? Not fit to represent a supporters' group.

He's stepping down this month I believe, incidentally. I find it hard to imagine his views are representative of all EKA members, not least because I'm one.
    Glad to hear it.
  • Book a room above a boozer. Tweet Jacko see if he can round some players up. Hold it as an unofficial POTY dinner.

This might put the players in a very difficult situation, which would not be fair on them.
    They haven't put too many opponents in a difficult position this year so I'm all for someone inviting them to attend an "unofficial" event and seeing who turns up.
  • RedChaser said:

I think we should do the voting for POTY as in previous years(outside before home games).

At the Swindon game the fans then wait outside the players entrance after the game to present the winner with his goodies.

What do other people think to this idea?

I quite like this as an idea. We could all meet in the West Stand Car Park after the game and hold "an award ceremony".

POTY. Young POTY. Worst run club in England. Worst owner in England. Worst CEO in England.

We could just announce the awards by megaphone, that will do for the time being.
    I know just the man :wink: .
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cu0prnzW8AA92a4.jpg
    Why do it outside our stadium?