Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Strangest fans you've seen at Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    The first time I ever went (against Tranmere), there was an old bloke who was constantly standing up, booing and putting his thumb down as if he was at a pantomime. He didn't say 'boo' though, the sound was more like 'bewwwww'. Being my first game I just thought it was normal.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

The first time I ever went (against Tranmere), there was an old bloke who was constantly standing up, booing and putting his thumb down as if he was at a pantomime. He didn't say 'boo' though, the sound was more like 'bewwwww'. Being my first game I just thought it was normal.

Was it Russell Slade?
  • Options
    An elephant in the early 70s don't know who it was supporting.
  • Options
    A few years back now there was a bloke near me in the east - every time one of our right backs/wingers had the ball he'd scream "GO ON PASS IM! SKIN IS EYES AAAAAAAT".

Made my Saturday he did.

Ps east stand extremely loud clap guy - think you're referring to my mate. Try sitting next to the bugger!
  • Options
    I'm currently intrigued by the chap sitting front middle of the North Lower. Does he consider himself captain of the goal or something? He seems extremely resolute in his location
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm currently intrigued by the chap sitting front middle of the North Lower. Does he consider himself captain of the goal or something? He seems extremely resolute in his location

Wave towards the East Stand and I'll return the gesture...?
  • Options
    Danny and Keith . Two hilarious blokes who once after five pints each challenged Andy Hunt to a race around the car park at the Plume and Feathers because they thought that he was way slower than them and they just got laughed at . They also once applied for caretakers jobs at the Sam Bartram flats so that they could stand on the roof of the building and watch games from over the south stand . They also got into the ground once on Kids for a quid day by convincing some brainless turnstile operator that it was also " clowns for around " game . Many more anecdotes about that pair . Usually wore Harrington jackets grey track suit trousers and white socks .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

johnny73 said:

bellz2002 said:

I saw my old maths teacher at a game once. He was odd.

My old maths teacher goes to games, Mr. Peck. He is far from odd.
    My maths teacher was called Mr. Peck. Wonder if it is the same bloke. Always liked him. Would be a bonus to thing he was a CAFC fan as well.
    Don Peck was a colleague of mine at Riverside School in the late 1970s. There were three of us on the staff who supported the Addicks - myself, Cliff Baugh and Alf Parker. I would hate to think we qualified as "strange fans". Don was a GY supporter and he sometimes came to games. Another occasional visitor was Stewart Edwards who was a Northampton stalwart.

We were all pretty football mad on the staff and from memory we had the usual crop of London fans plus a couple of Pompey supporters.
    Mr Peck was my maths teacher. Mr Edwards my English Teacher. I was at Riverside in the mid to late eighties.
  • Options

So many, but the 30-something bloke with his mother, and their matching, tartan blankets take some beating.

I am soooo happy you think I am in my 30's. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

The bloke in the front row of the Covered End Upper is a character.

He's been nicknamed "Mr Angry" in my family since I was 6 years old.

Today though, it was the loudest VFR that you have ever heard from the mouth of one person. Over and over again.

Love it.

He is pure quality he got another mention early in this thread, sits only a few rows in front of me but is loud enough to get people in the front row of the North Lower turning round looking up. One kid from that front row even turned round to face him and join in with VFR.

I've seen so many loonies over the years though i'll always remember one guy who used to sit behind me in H block used to scream out at the top of his voice in disbelief at however much injury time was held up by the 4th official whether it be 1 minute, 4 minutes or 7 minutes every single match. It was almost as though the 4th official would always give the complete opposite to what he was expecting!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Today though, it was the loudest VFR that you have ever heard from the mouth of one person. Over and over again.

Love it.

He is pure quality he got another mention early in this thread, sits only a few rows in front of me but is loud enough to get people in the front row of the North Lower turning round looking up. One kid from that front row even turned round to face him and join in with VFR.

I've seen so many loonies over the years though i'll always remember one guy who used to sit behind me in H block used to scream out at the top of his voice in disbelief at however much injury time was held up by the 4th official whether it be 1 minute, 4 minutes or 7 minutes every single match. It was almost as though the 4th official would always give the complete opposite to what he was expecting!
    Towards the end of the 13/14 the geezer who used to sit next to me bet me £50 we'd be in the Premier in five seasons!

So confident he was that the Belgians were the way forward.
  • Options
    The Scouser during a cup game in the mid nineties that decided to tell the entire covered end how shit we were. He was dealt with swiftly.
  • Options
    Exeter have some odd fans. A lot of them wear Fez hats.
  • Options

Love it.

Is that the short balding bloke who always wears a blue blazer?
  • Options
    Strange fans at the valley, what's the character limit for a post?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sat in the west lower by the tunnel between the age for 5 and 11. There was a guy just behind us who every game without fail would call the ref a wanker about 15 times. I found this hilarious. My old man not so much.
  • Options
    len90 said:

There is a big Moroccan community in Exeter, a fact not well known to many.
  • Options

Game: Bradford
    Date: 14th March 2017

Prize Winning Valley Gold No. Name Address
    1st £750.00 0426 John Brown Stamford, Lincolnshire
    2nd £50.00 0724 Malcolm Claus Swanley, Kent
    £50.00 3006 Chrissie McCombie Alness, Ross shire
    £50.00 1709 Christopher Adamson Maidstone, Kent
    £50.00 3028 David Gilliver Kippenheim, Germany
    £50.00 0547 John Dempster Stanford-le-Hope, Essex
    £50.00 3785 John Wallace East Grinstead, West Sussex
    £50.00 3809 Ray Pamment Crawley, West Sussex
    £50.00 3783 Leslie Strange South Ockendon, Essex
    £50.00 1720 Jill Feaver Faversham, Kent
    £50.00 1864 Kim Rogers Sevenoaks. Kent

Prize Winning Jackpot No Name Address
    1st £207.00 0009 Brian Bowden Rochester, Kent
    2nd £100.00 1816 Not claimed As of 22.15 on 14.03.17

VG Executive Box Winners

Nicola Smith 1224
    Stewart Milton 3099
    Clare Sadlier 1718
    Martin Wiseman 2045

Good luck with this and all our future draws.

• Options
    edited March 2017

In my brief stint in the West Upper a few years back, there was a guy on my row who'd turn up half an hour after kick off, carrying several full Tesco bags, put them right in front of him so no one could get past and proceed to spend the rest of the game eating everything in them. Once he made his way through an entire multi pack of Quavers.

Oh and he'd also spend the second half ignoring the game and writing incomprehensible and slightly unnerving notes in a little black book.

The mind boggles.

I have not been back to the west stand since.

TuttTutt?

;o)
  • Options

In my brief stint in the West Upper a few years back, there was a guy on my row who'd turn up half an hour after kick off, carrying several full Tesco bags, put them right in front of him so no one could get past and proceed to spend the rest of the game eating everything in them. Once he made his way through an entire multi pack of Quavers.

Oh and he'd also spend the second half ignoring the game and writing incomprehensible and slightly unnerving notes in a little black book.

The mind boggles.

I know exactly who you mean: Kitten-Killer.
    The lad and I always looked out for his late arrival and him starting his picnic; he seemed happy enough in his bobble hat and scarf, and celebrating our goals in a reserved way, but there was something sad about him. The lad - only 7 or 8 at the time - also noticed this in him and remarked upon it looking a little sad himself which in turn made me a bit misty-eyed.
    I then told him that the reason he was always late to his seat was because he'd been up in his loft where he would take a live kitten from a sack full of the things, nail its paws to a beam with panel pins and then set fire to its tail and watch it go up in flames. Kitten-Killer was born.
    Although this demonisation of the poor bloke was for the lad's 'benefit', I suspect it was more for mine.
    We haven't seen him for a few games now, I hope he's alright...

• Options
    Redskin said:

The mind boggles.

I know exactly who you mean: Kitten-Killer.
    The lad and I always looked out for his late arrival and him starting his picnic; he seemed happy enough in his bobble hat and scarf, and celebrating our goals in a reserved way, but there was something sad about him. The lad - only 7 or 8 at the time - also noticed this in him and remarked upon it looking a little sad himself which in turn made me a bit misty-eyed.
    I then told him that the reason he was always late to his seat was because he'd been up in his loft where he would take a live kitten from a sack full of the things, nail its paws to a beam with panel pins and then set fire to its tail and watch it go up in flames. Kitten-Killer was born.
    Although this demonisation of the poor bloke was for the lad's 'benefit', I suspect it was more for mine.
    We haven't seen him for a few games now, I hope he's alright...

Did the lad sleep well?
  • Options
    He did. He thinks I'm an idiot and doesn't pay me any attention.
  • Options

len90 said:

There is a big Moroccan community in Exeter, a fact not well known to many.
    Eh..I'm from Exeter and that's the first I've ever heard of a Moroccan community.. nobby students..we got hundreds of. Think the fez thing is related to Tommy Cooper growing up in here
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    In the NW Quadrant a few years ago, a guy who just kept shouting out 'you wally' to the players at random times. I think he may have had 'issues' because he always had a minder with him, different one each match, suitably embarrassed at having to sit next to him.
    Then one Saturday no more Wally... I wonder what became of him? Probably got his Palarse season ticket back.....