Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• The whole waiting to celebrate part is a nonsense - it's far more important that the decision is right. If you would rather wait to celebrate a goal because you are expecting VAR to 'ruin' (ie rightly overturn?) a goal then that's on you. Meanwhile I am jumping around celebrating Kane's winning goal like a mad man exactly as I did before VAR was introduced.

Can anyone find an instance so far this tournament of a goal that was given by the officials but then ruled out by VAR? Oh, there's been none in 20 games. Hmmmm sounds like certain dissenting voices are playing that element up a fraction!

I can give you two instances of clear penalties being ignored, if you want to go down the "give me examples" route? That must prove I am right, mustn't it?

Two different streams of "logic" being applied here, depending which way you want to spin it, Callum.

I like football, you like technoball, you are winning. Enjoy your victory.
  • Tell folk from the Republic of Ireland that VAR isn't a good thing after Henry's juggling act back in the day.

Maybe we'd also be more familiar about when Robbie Keane did something similar earlier in that game that didn't lead to a goal......
  • The whole waiting to celebrate part is a nonsense - it's far more important that the decision is right. If you would rather wait to celebrate a goal because you are expecting VAR to 'ruin' (ie rightly overturn?) a goal then that's on you. Meanwhile I am jumping around celebrating Kane's winning goal like a mad man exactly as I did before VAR was introduced.

Can anyone find an instance so far this tournament of a goal that was given by the officials but then ruled out by VAR? Oh, there's been none in 20 games. Hmmmm sounds like certain dissenting voices are playing that element up a fraction!

I can give you two instances of clear penalties being ignored, if you want to go down the "give me examples" route? That must prove I am right, mustn't it?

Two different streams of "logic" being applied here, depending which way you want to spin it, Callum.

I like football, you like technoball, you are winning. Enjoy your victory.
    Ok but those wouldn't have been given without VAR either so nothing has been lost by including it? Not sure what your point because it's still very much the same game!
  • What if a corner that should be a goal kick leads yo a goal....end of story.

I have oft quoted the famous Fulham free kick/our throw in. Arguably changed the history of our club? Like you, I have said all along, where do you draw the line? I know the proponents will say "where it is now", but others will disagree in the future, mark my words. It's all or nothing ultimately. For me, it's nothing.

I have oft quoted the famous Fulham free kick/our throw in. Arguably changed the history of our club? Like you, I have said all along, where do you draw the line? I know the proponents will say "where it is now", but others will disagree in the future, mark my words. It's all or nothing ultimately. For me, it's nothing.
    Agree...you can't have a fool proof system where opinions are involved.
  • There we go....prime example of VAR being a mess (even though the right outcome was achieved).

How long after the penalty incident did that review happen? What if Denmark had scored in that time period?
  • Ross said:

There we go....prime example of VAR being a mess (even though the right outcome was achieved).

How long after the penalty incident did that review happen? What if Denmark had scored in that time period?

Then Denmark's goal is chalked off and Australia have the penalty awarded. Easy.
  • Right decision made again but some still finding something to moan about. :-)
  • Then where do you draw the line for a review to be given? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? 30 seconds? A minute?

Anything else happen in that time period....red or yellow card, corner, free kick.....do they all get chalked off? Do we rewind time as technically the last 30 seconds didn't happen if a goal gets chalked off?
  • Sponsored links:

• Now I know why the Sunderland game is kicking off at 12.30. So the game can be finished by 17.00
  • Ross said:

Then where do you draw the line for a review to be given? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? 30 seconds? A minute?

Anything else happen in that time period....red or yellow card, corner, free kick.....do they all get chalked off? Do we rewind time as technically the last 30 seconds didn't happen if a goal gets chalked off?

The time limit is the next time the game is restarted after a stoppage. Come on, keep up. :-)
  • Ross said:

There we go....prime example of VAR being a mess (even though the right outcome was achieved).

Won't the other gane be started before this one finishes.
  • I have to say, I was against the use of technology in football, although I could see the benefits of goal-line technology.

This world cup has totally changed my mind, it's only going to get better and better.
  • I'm not sure it was even a penalty.
  • Heated discussion over the pen. O'Neill disagreeing with Eni Aloko. Good job Roy Keane is not there
  • shirty5 said:

Heated discussion over the pen. O'Neill disagreeing with Eni Aloko. Good job Roy Keane is not there

What if the 5 blokes in the VAR Room are split in their decision? Does it go to a majority vote?
  • Posting without reading all the comments, but just a thought...

When your team scores you go mental, hugging the person next you, leaping down three rows by accident, gesturing at the home fans etc! Sometimes you’re not sure if a foul has been committed, if the ref has spotted somethin or if the Lino is about to raise his flag, so your celebrations are a little more muted, but the ref runs back to the centre circle, there’s no flag and you’ve got the goal. Crack on!

With VAR you can only celebrate once you’re actually sure! With a delay of 45secs or so! It takes the spontaneity out of it entirely! Will players stop celebrating for fear of looking like a twat and having their goal disallowed in the future? Will fans just stare at the screen waiting for some bloke in full refs kit 50miles away to make a call? I know it clears up a lot of incorrect decisions, but it WILL eventually remove the passion from the game. So, for that reason I’m out.
  • shirty5 said:

Heated discussion over the pen. O'Neill disagreeing with Eni Aloko. Good job Roy Keane is not there

What if the 5 blokes in the VAR Room are split in their decision? Does it go to a majority vote?
    slight misunderstanding of VAR they don't make a decision they advise the ref to take another look at the incident
  • shirty5 said:

They ring Putin
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:

This is why I don't think it will work in league games. If there is only one ref doing VAR, it is his opinion. If there are multiple refs then they will need to recruit a lot more VAR refs for every Premier League and Football League game every weekend. Even if they only have one VAR ref per game they'll still need to recruit. They can't have one or two doing all games because there could be incidents happening at the same time all the time.
  • edited June 2018

shirty5 said:

slight misunderstanding of VAR they don't make a decision they advise the ref to take another look at the incident
    I know, but they must come to a 'referral decision' prior to this though?
  • VAR refs were right to ask ref to look at it. Can't say I agree with refs decision to award the penalty after the review. VAR still doing a good job though.
  • edited June 2018
    There is a head VAR (plus assistant VARs aka the other blokes) who will decide whether it's worth the on field ref's time to recommend a look at the video replay.
  • Again that is another common misunderstanding of VAR that FIFA are not really doing anything to correct by not having transparent communication between the ref and VAR - if there was a mic on the ref and the head VAR guy nobody would think VAR make the decisions would they.
  • edited June 2018

There is a head VAR (plus assistant VARs aka the other blokes) who will decide whether it's worth the on field ref's time to recommend a look at the video replay.

This is what i was getting at. So the head VAR has final say on the recommendation?

The fact they get the ref to look at the incident once they have seen it and decided, almost pressures the ref into changing his decision.
  • There is a head VAR (plus assistant VARs aka the other blokes) who will decide whether it's worth the on field ref's time to recommend a look at the video replay.

This is what i was getting at. So the head VAR has final say?

The fact they get the ref to look at the incident once they have seen it and decided, almost pressures the ref into changing his decision.
    I suppose so but they aren't all looking at the same thing either. One will be checking the offside, one will be checking for fouls etc.
  • Ross said:

Then Denmark's goal is chalked off and Australia have the penalty awarded. Easy.
    That is just absurd? 'Football — should be left alone. It is a human endeavor to be played by flawed people, and officiated by them too. It means everything for 90 minutes, then nothing after. It is catharsis. And VAR takes a little slice of that imperfection away.'
  • Ross said:

That is just absurd? 'Football — should be left alone. It is a human endeavor to be played by flawed people, and officiated by them too. It means everything for 90 minutes, then nothing after. It is catharsis. And VAR takes a little slice of that imperfection away.'
    Righto!
  • Greenie said:

Ross said:

Righto!
    Good to see you agree