Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    How it will develop I think is that good refs will use it as a tool to help them with decisions they are not sure about. By that I mean err on the side of not giving a decision and letting his VAR team call it. Brilliantly demonstrated in the France v Australia match. The Tunisian's penalty was a call by the ref of what was a marginal decision. I don't think VAR could overturn that, even though I do think the Tunisian played for it.

But the two Harry Kane incidents were outrageous. In some ways you might have to be sympathetic to the ref as surely the right thing for the ref to do was allow his VAR team to draw his attention to it! Did they and it was ignored or didn't they? I'd like to know. But England won the game whereas Brazil drew a game when a blatant push was allowed to occur without the ref even looking at it again. What disturbs me about refs at all levels is how some seem to try to gauge how hard the push is. If a player puts his arms out in front of him and pushes, it is a push you morons!

Then we have the Argentina game. I thought the Argentinian's first penalty was dubious, but the ref gave it and there can be no arguments. VAR certainly shouldn't overule that decision. But the penalty that was not given was a joke. Ok the ref missed it, but VAR should have picked it up and at least got him to look at it. As happened at Wembley recently for the Italian goal.

I think we are seeing that some refs have the ability to adapt their game and use the technology, but some refs don't. The way VAR has been implemented by FIFA is on the presumption that there are no rubbish refs. Sadly there are loads, as there are fantastic ones. VAR could be a force for good, but should remove controvesy, not create it!
  • Options
    After further research I found out that the VAR for the England match was the same referee as the bloke on the pitch for the Croatia match. That was a match in which a Nigerian player was penalised for holding in the penalty area. I assume that the same referee would've made the same call in his video replay booth but there's nothing he can do about it if the on field ref doesn't want to listen.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Should be a feature added for VAR where the Video Referee can completely over-rule the match Referee in extreme cases

i.e. the two Rugby tackles on Kane werent debatable penalties, they WERE penalties - In that situation the VAR Ref should be able to halt the game and confirm on a big screen that a penalty should be given... Its an extreme way of undermining the match day referee yet a sure way of hiding their incompetence would be to simply listen to the VAR advise and go and review themselves

Also have to question why we had a Colombian Referee when the outcome of our Group could end up benefiting Colombia?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Also doesn't it seem a bit odd that we were given a Colombian referee when our group's qualified teams will face Colombian group's qualified teams?
  • Options

Also doesn't it seem a bit odd that we were given a Colombian referee when our group's qualified teams will face Colombian group's qualified teams?

Bird of a Feather mate

Of course if Tunisia had beaten us then you'd expect to see them second in the Group - You'd expect Colombia to win their Group which means their second round tie against Tunisia (Rather than Belgium or England) would give them a much greater chance of Qualifying for the Quarter Finals
  • Options
    Using goal line technology for close calls was well overdue and I’m 100% for it, but this whole VAR thing is a sham. Last night was an absolute joke! Get rid of it and let the ref do his job to the best of his abilities. That whole business of telling the lino not to flag on close calls and let the video do the work...WTF?! Why are linesman there in that case? 80 or 90% of the time they look at the ref for a nod which way to give throw ins anyway.
  • Options
    VAR to be investigated by FIFA in light of the Kane decisions from last night. Just been mentioned on BBC
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    FIFA to look into yesterday's abysmal decisions
  • Options

FIFA to look into yesterday's abysmal divisions

They've chored your catchphrase mate. They'll be opening a shop in Grove Park before you know it........
  • Options
    Greenie said:

They've chored your catchphrase mate. They'll be opening a shop in Grove Park before you know it........
    Knew I shoulda got a copywrite on it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

VAR to be investigated by FIFA in light of the Kane decisions from last night. Just been mentioned on BBC

Not suprised at all...hope those that say others don't understand it, are finally understanding it....

• Options
    Putin not watching VAR he is watching Trumps pee tape...
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Greenie said:

We won so it isn't sour grapes - it was a complete joke. We have heard differing accounts on whether it was the ref's fault or the VAR team. Whoever was to blame should be on the plane back home now - it is just unacceptable to see that level of incompetence. Had we drawn, we would be classed as being ungracious, but nobody can do that now we have nothing to gain from it other than expose incompetence or cheating. I'm sure it is the former rather than the latter but we can't see a repeat of this against any team. If we see it again against England, we will have grounds to say cheating is going on!
  • Options
    All those pens, and more own goals,
    Time again to sell their souls....
    .... You thought that you had seen it all,
    When along comes Poland Senegal.

"If you ever see a post from WRICURKINCAM walk away and pretend you didn't. Only madness lies ahead. " = Henry Irving.
  • Options
    No doubt people will claim it worked well tonight disqualifying the Iran goal but I reckon linesman would have flagged it if there was no VAR. In recent years the officiating, Including offsides has improved a lot, I can't remember many offside errors in the premier league in last few seasons
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The linesman did flag it.

• Options
    on the replay the lino actually did flag it right away to be fair.
  • Options
    hate VAR it just makes footie players even more moaning twats
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Another instance of the commentators not knowing what they're on about.

Clive Tyldesley says "linesman are told to keep their flags down if they're not sure" as if it's written in stone that that's what happened but on replays, the linesman clearly had his flag up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Another instance of the commentators not knowing what they're on about.

Clive Tyldesley says "linesman are told to keep their flags down if they're not sure" as if it's written in stone that that's what happened but on replays, the linesman clearly had his flag up.

It looked like the assistant ref kept his flag down on the initial free kick, but then raised it (correctly) in the second phase.

But I'd agree that Clive Tyldesley has done nothing to change his reputation as a terrible commentator tonight.
  • Options

hate VAR it just makes footie players even more moaning twats

This.

As someone said previously football has faliable players. Linesmen and refs are too. Leave it to them. 1000 camera angles and VAR are bollox.
  • Options
    i dont like it
  • Options
    Before VAR you only had corrupt referee and linesman now you can throw the Corrupt VAR panel in as well!
  • Options
    I love it.
  • Options
    It's great works every time.
  • Options

100% penalty not awarded for Harry Kane being wrestled to the ground. Anyone want to defend that call?

VAR is superb, but the guys that night looked at Stones being impeded and not Kane being wrestled. The combination of a poor Referee and a poor VAR team which is down to human errors which is no fault of a technology which will improve the % of correct decisions.
  • Options

100% penalty not awarded for Harry Kane being wrestled to the ground. Anyone want to defend that call?

VAR is superb, but the guys that night looked at Stones being impeded and not Kane being wrestled. The combination of a poor Referee and a poor VAR team which is down to human errors which is no fault of a technology which will improve the % of correct decisions.
    So VAR is superb as it misses things.
  • Options

So VAR is superb as it misses things.
    The authorities will improve VAR over time no doubt.