Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    we need to know what the communication was to the ref after the incident - as I recall the commentators said something along the lines of " VAR are checking for a penalty " then in literally the same breath "but that was a quick one " so did they review it properly and the ref said no to another look, or what my feeling is, VAR only half checked one replay and said play on. Whichever it is either the ref fucked up and needs sending home, or the VAR fucked up and needs sending home and proper instruction given to future VAR's.
  • Options

VAR just means more inconsistency.

Instead of "mistakes" by referees the faceless VAR people just make random decisions based on god knows what!

Sometimes that's a penalty - sometimes it's not. Watch the same thing again and again and come to a different decision each time. Wheeeeeee…..

VAR makes no decisions. They can only suggest that the on field referee might want to review an incident for themselves. VAR does absolutely nothing to help get the right decisions when the referee is sh*t in the first place as evidenced by the performance of the Colombian bloke tonight.

VAR cannot give a penalty. VAR cannot rule out a goal for offside. VAR cannot hand out red cards. Only the referee on the pitch can do that. If they chose to ignore VAR all game, they could.
    So VAR is only as good as the referee ? On that basis why not just leave it to the referee and bin VAR. I hate it.

Apparently it's great as it gets some desicions right.
  • Options

Instead of "mistakes" by referees the faceless VAR people just make random decisions based on god knows what!

Sometimes that's a penalty - sometimes it's not. Watch the same thing again and again and come to a different decision each time. Wheeeeeee…..

VAR makes no decisions. They can only suggest that the on field referee might want to review an incident for themselves. VAR does absolutely nothing to help get the right decisions when the referee is sh*t in the first place as evidenced by the performance of the Colombian bloke tonight.

VAR cannot give a penalty. VAR cannot rule out a goal for offside. VAR cannot hand out red cards. Only the referee on the pitch can do that. If they chose to ignore VAR all game, they could.
    So VAR is only as good as the referee ? On that basis why not just leave it to the referee and bin VAR. I hate it.

Apparently it's great as it gets some desicions right.
    Exactly Chippy. Just like a real Ref.
  • Options
    I’m a fan of technology and don’t have a problem with it being introduced to the game. I appreciate there are gong to be teething problems, probably over the next few tournaments. But if it can’t be correctly used for such blatant decisions as in the England game then I don’t see the point yet, maybe they should hold off using it a bit longer.
  • Options
    I did think VAR was only used as an tool to advise the ref to look at an incident like the penalty in the Sweden/Korea game earlier which was a good example of how it worked.

But clearly something went amiss tonight - to not even ask the ref to view a replay was very surprising.

It is said FIFA aren't too keen on us....
  • Options

Greenie said:

Its working well in the WC despite all the negativity.

Great do away with the refs then...save money.
    Yeah, let's have no officials on the pitch. Doh.

VAR having been set up and administered properly in this World Cup has been superb and has corrected a number of extremely tough decisions, without any significant delay. Bloody marvellous and should have happened a long time ago.
    If every desicion can be made in a tv room why have refs...it's basics...as my grandaughter would tell you.
    Deary me. Try and have a think about it and get back to us. I can think of loads of reasons.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

Its working well in the WC despite all the negativity.

Great do away with the refs then...save money.
    Yeah, let's have no officials on the pitch. Doh.

VAR having been set up and administered properly in this World Cup has been superb and has corrected a number of extremely tough decisions, without any significant delay. Bloody marvellous and should have happened a long time ago.
    If every desicion can be made in a tv room why have refs...it's basics...as my grandaughter would tell you.
    Who would tell the players?
    The VAR men
    They are in Moscow.
  • Options

Because in all the other games. VAR have pointed out referee errors (understandable with the pace of the game & foul play going on etc) to the refs. The refs have had a quick look and corrected their mistake. Brilliant.

If the ref in our game was told of a possible error, but unwilling to look, I can only think of 4 reasons.

1 He's too arrogant to look.

2 He knows he's poor, so too afraid to look.

3 He was too frightened to look as he has been got at.

4 He refused to look because he was bribed.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    VAR = good idea
    VAR run by FIFA = Absolutely asking for trouble or brown envelopes or electronic money transfers
  • Options
    edited June 2018

VAR helped a crap referee get out of jail in the Sweden game. Clear missed penalty until VAR was called in.

It's just our referee was crap and arrogant!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VAR has been successfully used to overturn and correct 5 or 6 serious mistakes so far. It should have been used to award England two penalties tonight. We need a statement explaining why this did not happen. But, so far, VAR is working well. Obviously it is early days and needs tweaking but I think it will feature in all future major competitions.
  • Options
    I don't like VAR cause its ugly. I want the referee to be a player. Unpredictable, fallible, corruptable, with funny gestures, personality, someone to hate and love.
    Football you know... fucking football...
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjIj_GlvLD4

Look at how woefully the UK commentators handled something simple like goal line technology four years ago...... No wonder we're the only country that's making such a big fuss about video replays.
  • Options
    Is there a reason why the VAR team are in full kit in some dingy room in Moscow?
  • Options
    PWR - the England players just need to wise up and the next time Harry Kane or one of the others are manhandled to the ground like that in the penalty box they need to stay down and the others need to urge the ref to get the physio on and then visibly start outlining a tv shape with their hands...
  • Options

Look at how woefully the UK commentators handled something simple like goal line technology four years ago...... No wonder we're the only country that's making such a big fuss about video replays.

I remember that. JP must have been drunk.
  • Options
    It's can be very difficult to sort these sort of fouls out fairly. With the ball nowhere near, a forward tries to push his way through a defender who is legally standing his ground. Eventually they both end up on the ground with their arms around each other.

If the forward was in the process of playing the ball this is a foul. Otherwise it is not!

After reviewing an incident over and over again, it may be possible to work out which of the players is actually responsible for the tussle and decide which way to award the free kick but on single viewing it is usually impossible.

The referee's instinct here was that he saw the incident and decided that on single viewing no one would ever be able say who fouled whom. So it is not a free kick! That used to be the laws of the game.
  • Options
    For the first Kane penalty claim, the ref couldn't have been better positioned and looked to me like he saw what happened.

A question - can the three officials watching VAR, tell the ref when he's missed summin, or is it up to the ref only to refer to VAR?
  • Options
    Must admit that i think VAR has worked well so far in this tournament, just because we had a joke of a ref last night doesn't mean it's the fault of VAR.
  • Options

I don't even like goal line technology!

The lines they use in the graphics don't match the actual lines on the pitch and the goal posts.

So sometimes it looks like it was "definitely over the line" on the computer when it wasn't over the real line! (Or vice versa)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No wonder we're the only country that's making such a big fuss about video replays.

Are we the only country complaining?
  • Options

Must admit that i think VAR has worked well so far in this tournament, just because we had a joke of a ref last night doesn't mean it's the fault of VAR.

I don't think some on here understand how VAR works.
    How can you blame VAR if the ref chooses to ignore the suggestion of the VAR support team to review the footage.
    I don't remember the referee once looking at VAR during our match, maybe he's one of those arrogant refs who is always right!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The Gambian ref was the best so far (there have been a few good ones) and showed - with his VAR colleagues exactly how it should be used. Well done that man. The Columbian ref and his VAR team of yesterday should be sent home in disgrace as should the refs and VAR teams for the Argentina and Brazil games!
  • Options

Only we’re not the only country are we? It’s just the kind of comment we seem to like to make just to critisize ourselves. Other countries have had problems and controversies during their domestic season.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

How can you blame VAR if the ref chooses to ignore the suggestion of the VAR support team to review the footage.
    I don't remember the referee once looking at VAR during our match, maybe he's one of those arrogant refs who is always right!
    The problem for me is that there's never any accountability. We will quite likely never know if last night was simply because VAR didn't suggest to him he should review anything, or whether he was notified but simply chose to ignore it.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Only we’re not the only country are we? It’s just the kind of comment we seem to like to make just to critisize ourselves. Other countries have had problems and controversies during their domestic season.
    Indeed. There has been way more controversy in Germany and Italy than here (unsurprising since their top leagues adopted it straight away so they have had far more games with it)
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Without wanting to sound over dramatic, I don't think all is what it seemed with that ref last night. Two, virtually identical, stone wall pens and he don't even look at the technology at hand.

Arrogant is an understatement
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I understand what you are saying but if you watch back what happened last night, at least for the first Kane incident, the VAR team did not indicate to the ref a need to review - the commentators say "VAR is having a look here" which is indicated to them via a green/red light in the commentators booth by all accounts, but then within seconds, like literally without stopping in the sentence he says "but that was a quick review the game continues" there is NO indication that they told the ref to refer and every indication that they either missed (negligent) or more worryingly willfully ignored the incident (borderline match fixing)
  • Options
    All my Flyspray has run out,
    I'll have to buy a new tin.
    Swarms of Ruski Migs about,
    Attracted by the Pu tin.

Another corner comes across,
    Gosh, how our lads can float 'em,
    Ref can't explain why Harry Kane
    Has just picked up his scrotum.

No surprise in their new guise,
    FIFA ain't changed a jot.
    To fix the circus, often tries,
    By pointing to the spot.

England won't stick to the script,
    They fight until it's won,
    Poor ref will get a new arse ripped,
    Sit back, enjoy the fun!

"If you ever see a post from WRICURKINCAM walk away and pretend you didn't. Only madness lies ahead. " = Henry Irving