Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    There's already been multiple instances where VAR has helped to make sure the correct decision was reached. Yes it hasn't been 100% perfect but on the whole, we have more decisions correct than we would have done without it.

Sweden v South Korea & Russia v Egypt are just two instances where a deserved penalty would've been missed without VAR, that's off the top of my head.

Therefore it's doing it's job well while still having room to improve.
  • Options

100% penalty not awarded for Harry Kane being wrestled to the ground. Anyone want to defend that call?

VAR is superb, but the guys that night looked at Stones being impeded and not Kane being wrestled. The combination of a poor Referee and a poor VAR team which is down to human errors which is no fault of a technology which will improve the % of correct decisions.
    Was Stones impeded both times Kane was wrestled to the ground...? (sorry I don't know what the roll eyes emote is on here or if there even is one but yeah.. roll eyes) VAR is not ready for this tournament and shouldn't have been forced in until these "mistakes" could be ironed out - the ref either didn't know how or stubbornly refused to use it and that's what happens when you have refs using technology they have no experience with from their own leagues.

If they introduced it slowly and sensibly, tweaked things that are not right and given the refs the requisite experience in using it, then i'd be all for it but they haven't - players are confused, fans are confused, pundits are confused and it's obvious. They have rushed it and they have forced it in.

No communication with the fans in the stadium

No transparency with the communications between the ref and VAR

No consistency in the decisions being made using the tech

Issues with the continuation of play whilst a VAR review is underway

Linesman and refs not making, or being slow to make decisions which are clear, but are too afraid to stop play

I take my football seriously I wish FIFA did because these are all issues that people have been screaming out to be resolved since the inception and guess what, we are still talking about these issues in an international worldwide tournament. It already nearly spoiled the Confed cup and FIFA have taken no lessons from it other than making the decisions a little faster, which is far from the only issue here.
  • Options
    Am surprised i seem to be in the minority of the opinion that VAR is poor. Human and referee error is absolutely fine for football imo, VAR is still subjective, it just slows the game down and it could lead to a position where supporters can't celebrate a goal properly due to fear of it being ruled out. Trying to get every single decision correct should not be at the expense of atmosphere killing pauses.
  • Options

I saw a referee get a decision wrong recently, so we should definitely scrap the whole idea of having match officials as it clearly doesn't work.

did the referee have a replay and multiple angles to view when he got it wrong?
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Another instance of the commentators not knowing what they're on about.

Clive Tyldesley says "linesman are told to keep their flags down if they're not sure" as if it's written in stone that that's what happened but on replays, the linesman clearly had his flag up.

CUSHION.
    FACED.
    TWAT.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Chizz said:

Another instance of the commentators not knowing what they're on about.

Clive Tyldesley says "linesman are told to keep their flags down if they're not sure" as if it's written in stone that that's what happened but on replays, the linesman clearly had his flag up.

It looked like the assistant ref kept his flag down on the initial free kick, but then raised it (correctly) in the second phase.

But I'd agree that Clive Tyldesley has done nothing to change his reputation as a terrible commentator tonight.
    CUSHION.
    FACED.
    BELLEND.
  • Options

100% penalty not awarded for Harry Kane being wrestled to the ground. Anyone want to defend that call?

VAR is superb, but the guys that night looked at Stones being impeded and not Kane being wrestled. The combination of a poor Referee and a poor VAR team which is down to human errors which is no fault of a technology which will improve the % of correct decisions.
    So VAR is superb as it misses things.
    VAR doesn't miss a thing.
    A Ref with his own agenda and a VAR team that must've been instructed to limit the amount of overules on wrestling from corners.
    Maybe despite what FIFA say, they don't want 6 penalties a game for blocking and holding at corners.
    VAR isn't the problem, human brain freeze is.
  • Options
    VAR is definitely the way forward. If wrong decisions are being corrected then great.
  • Options

A Ref with his own agenda and a VAR team that must've been instructed to limit the amount of overules on wrestling from corners.
    Maybe despite what FIFA say, they don't want 6 penalties a game for blocking and holding at corners.
    Your still left with human beings watching and forming opinions....err what the ref and linesman do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If they started to enforce the rules, the grabbing would stop.
  • Options

Well a penalty was awarded for Croatia the day before for holding in the penalty box during a set piece. That shows an incredible lack of consistency if VAR is picking and choosing what infractions to call out - it's either a foul to drag someone down in the box or it's not, it can't be sometimes ok and sometimes not can it? Where is the fairness in that?
  • Options

Well a penalty was awarded for Croatia the day before for holding in the penalty box during a set piece. That shows an incredible lack of consistency if VAR is picking and choosing what infractions to call out - it's either a foul to drag someone down in the box or it's not, it can't be sometimes ok and sometimes not can it? Where is the fairness in that?
    But that error is nothing to do with the VAR system is it, depending on which report is correct, either the VAR Ref decided to ignore it OR the pitch ref was informed and decided not to review. So either way human error, not VAR error.
    If VAR corrects just one major decision (which it already has) then it's worth it.

I think it's an excellent addition to our game
  • Options
    Greenie said:

But that error is nothing to do with the VAR system is it, depending on which report is correct, either the VAR Ref decided to ignore it OR the pitch ref was informed and decided not to review. So either way human error, not VAR error.
    If VAR corrects just one major decision (which it already has) then it's worth it.

It will be when they get it right. I outlined the issues with it that NEED to be fixed a few posts above, won't repeat them here but they need to be addressed as a matter of urgency or it won't just be us or Brazil putting in formal complaints to FIFA.

Cricket, Rugby and tennis have managed to make technology work because they are clear and transparent when it's used. Why does it have to be so cloak and dagger and wonky when it's used in football?
  • Options

Greenie said:

It will be when they get it right. I outlined the issues with it that NEED to be fixed a few posts above, won't repeat them here but they need to be addressed as a matter of urgency or it won't just be us or Brazil putting in formal complaints to FIFA.

Cricket, Rugby and tennis have managed to make technology work because they are clear and transparent when it's used. Why does it have to be so cloak and dagger and wonky when it's used in football?
    They are also used only during natural breaks in play in cricket and tennis, and only when a try is scored in rugby, in theory football could have 90 minutes with only a break for half time...
  • Options
    so when/if a ball is close to being out in tennis they keep on playing anyway until the rally is over and then go back and check? I don't really follow tennis so that's a genuine question by the way.
  • Options

I saw a referee get a decision wrong recently, so we should definitely scrap the whole idea of having match officials as it clearly doesn't work.

What does that matter? The constant chatter from the anti-VAR crowd is that it isn't perfect now so we should scrap the whole idea. It's clearly nonsense. Despite all the attempts, officiating hasn't improved in my life time, but we can already see that VAR has improved in the last 2 years and will continue to improve.

People just like to moan it seems, and VAR is the new hot topic.
  • Options

What does that matter? The constant chatter from the anti-VAR crowd is that it isn't perfect now so we should scrap the whole idea. It's clearly nonsense. Despite all the attempts, officiating hasn't improved in my life time, but we can already see that VAR has improved in the last 2 years and will continue to improve.

Bang on mate.
    I bet the crusty old fuckers would change their mind if it was in operation at the Fulham home game back in the day, they would all be wiping the dew drops off their bugles and saying 'well played VAR'.
  • Options

Not from me, Andy. I said I didn't want it before it came in, didn't need to see it in action to know it would be no good. Still a subjective decision, whether by the man on the pitch, one bloke in Isleworth or by five blokes in Moscow. They will never get it 100% right, because there is no right or wrong in many cases. So leave it as it is.

It suits other sports, it doesn't suit football.

Like I wrote earlier, the system spoils the moment of euphoria, and that is what passionate people watch football for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've outlined my issues with VAR and it's not just about liking to moan (although I do like to moan!) VAR is the hot topic because FIFA has made it the hot topic by putting it into it's biggest tournament when it has not been tested enough and isn't ready.

They could have had it for cases of mistaken identity and offsides to start with to iron out the issues which I would have been fine with since they are objective decisions and it would be hard to criticise them, and would also allow for getting the proper procedures in place with the communication between ref, VAR and the fans. FIFA has chosen not to do it that way.
  • Options

Not from me, Andy. I said I didn't want it before it came in, didn't need to see it in action to know it would be no good. Still a subjective decision, whether by the man on the pitch, one bloke in Isleworth or by five blokes in Moscow. They will never get it 100% right, because there is no right or wrong in many cases. So leave it as it is.

Like I wrote earlier, the system spoils the moment of euphoria, and that is what passionate people watch football for.
    You know when we score a goal at the Valley (admittedly its been a while) at the moment you mention I take a quick look at the officials just to make sure before cheering 'well done'. So, not for me and many more it doesn't make a blind bit of difference except it gets the correct decision.
  • Options
    Gamesmanship or cheating, call it what you will is rife, as VAR evolves and with the backing of FIFA I hope by giving penalties for the Kane wrestling defending the game will improve, even if it's means there are half a dozen penalties given until the penny drops.

No way can a referee make all the decisions with so much play acting going on in games today. I realize that Referee haters will be disappointed but that's life.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

When its been improved enough to work well in Bundesliga, which it hasn't this season, then maybe consider it for a World Cup.
  • Options
    Tell folk from the Republic of Ireland that VAR isn't a good thing after Henry's juggling act back in the day.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

You know when we score a goal at the Valley (admittedly its been a while) at the moment you mention I take a quick look at the officials just to make sure before cheering 'well done'. So, not for me and many more it doesn't make a blind bit of difference except it gets the correct decision.
    Mate- you put a LOL against my earlier post where I dealt with that, so you clearly read it, now you seem to not have read it?
  • Options

Tell folk from the Republic of Ireland that VAR isn't a good thing after Henry's juggling act back in the day.

If they missed the Kane wrestling, they may well have missed that... :wink:
  • Options

Greenie said:

Mate- you put a LOL against my earlier post where I dealt with that, so you clearly read it, now you seem to not have read it?
    I cant remember what I did 5 minutes ago.....
  • Options

If they missed the Kane wrestling, they may well have missed that... :wink:
    Isn't there a WWE wrestler called Kane.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The whole waiting to celebrate part is a nonsense - it's far more important that the decision is right. If you would rather wait to celebrate a goal because you are expecting VAR to 'ruin' (ie rightly overturn?) a goal then that's on you. Meanwhile I am jumping around celebrating Kane's winning goal like a mad man exactly as I did before VAR was introduced.

Can anyone find an instance so far this tournament of a goal that was given by the officials but then ruled out by VAR? Oh, there's been none in 20 games. Hmmmm sounds like certain dissenting voices are playing that element up a fraction!