Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• The trouble is that "clear and obvious" has a different meaning depending on whether you see something once or over and over again.

There have already been hundreds of "clear and obvious" penalties in the world cup if you are allowed to look at all the incidents over and over again.

But if you only see them once there is no way they can be described this way.

I was happy to accept the referee's initial decisions last night because I know there was no way he could be sure and give a penalty. But not so happy when I know the decisions could and should have been corrected!

I suppose that's why I don't like VAR. I feel much more cheated by "wrong" decisions than I used to. Every single game has random "VAR decisions, errors and omissions" which basically decide the result and make feel like turning the TV off. I find this worse than having the odd "howler" every once in while like we used to.
  • Seems to be solid today.
  • Have we kicked off after the 4th goal yet.
  • So why couldn't VAR be used to change the "clear and obvious" error of not sending Pique off?
  • Another bad day for VAR fans. Egypt game finished 10 minutes late and decided by dubious penalties and Portugal now awarded a dubious VAR penalty.
  • "Portugal awarded a dubious VAR penalty"

• The BBC commentary team said no penalty after looking at the replay, so what constitutes a clear and obvious error Callum? Or is this another story of BBC bias?
  • edited June 2018
    Lawrenson is a known dinosaur who hates tech whether it's right or wrong. I'm watching with American commentary who called it as a penalty in real time with video replay only confirming what everybody already seen (ref aside).

The player didn't get the ball, took out Ronaldo in the penalty area. Correct decision was reached with the help of VAR.
  • back to that shit, anyone who disagrees with you is a dinosaur, pathetic
  • Not calling you a dinosaur.

If you don't think that was a penalty, there's not much point debating it.
  • Sponsored links:

• It was a pen, c'mon.
  • Think it was a pen but why no review for the retaliatory knee to the groin that should have been a straight red?
  • Thats a pen too
  • Thats a pen too

Not sure about that at all. The Iranian player had his arm wrapped around the Portuguese player trying to initiate the contact.
  • Thats a pen too

Not sure about that at all. The Iranian player had his arm wrapped around the Portuguese player trying to initiate the contact.
    Is probably what decided it yet the Portugal player looked to have his arms wrapped round his chest
  • Another bad day for VAR fans. Egypt game finished 10 minutes late and decided by dubious penalties and Portugal now awarded a dubious VAR penalty.

Oh dear every decision will be right though...thats what we want.
  • Closed hand swing across someones neck whilst watching exactly what you’re doing = yellow card. Wonder what would have happened if it hadn’t have been one of the biggest crowd draw players in the world....
  • edited June 2018
    Was a definite penalty for Portugal for me. Not a red card either. VAR still working. However, 2 or 3 of these Iranian players should have been sent off.
  • edited June 2018
    Ok That was not a penalty. The handball I mean.
  • Are England still playing last time i looked it was 4-0..done two 12 hour night shifts and a weeks shopping last time i looked they were still reviewing...got to get every decision right though....Still cant understand anyone being against getting EVERY decision right... Surely everyone agrees with this. Or only some of the decisions preferred.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok That was not a penalty. The handball I mean.

Agreed.
  • Was a definite penalty for Portugal for me. Not a red card either. VAR still working. However, 2 or 3 of these Iranian players should have been sent off.

Working as in its switched on
  • Agreed. No pen (but I thought the earlier bundle over was)
    Can I just be first to say that referee will never appear on television again ;-)
  • On reflection, I give VAR a 3 out of 4 score for tonight's reviews.

Portugal penalty was the correct decision.

Ronaldo should've been punished and VAR did it's job by alerting the ref to it but the ref bottled his decision.

Iran penalty was marginal and should've been an "umpires call" situation in my eyes, if we want to compare it to a sport with video review. Certainly not a clear and obvious error.

Spain goal was NOT offside and VAR was there to help over turn it.
  • Bit annoyed I was watching the other game now... going to have to wait til later and watch a re-run to join in the VAR bashing fun!! (or not if the case may be)
  • edited June 2018
    Great when it works and I'm looking forward to VAR in the future when the system is ironed out. but I'm still confused as to when it can and can't be used, as in the Pique non red card. There's little consistency it seems.

Ronaldo should've been punished and VAR did it's job by alerting the ref to it but the ref bottled his decision.

Iran penalty was marginal and should've been an "umpires call" situation in my eyes, if we want to compare it to a sport with video review. Certainly not a clear and obvious error.

There is a bit of arguement over whether the corner leading to the goal should have been awarded in the first place as it appeared to go out of play for a goal kick, but yes VAR got the offside call spot on - which supports my point that VAR should only be being used in this competition (for now at least) for the black and white objective decisions like that.

The ref and VAR did miss a clear red card though for Pique - two footed studs up scythe of a Moroccan player.

Thought VARce was supposed to get every decision right..hey ho back to relying on refs

Thought VARce was supposed to get every decision right..hey ho back to relying on refs
    None of what happened as a direct consequence of VAR can be argued against. It's up to the referee to make the calls with the technology he's given.
  • CatAddick said:

Agreed. No pen (but I thought the earlier bundle over was)
    Can I just be first to say that referee will never appear on television again ;-)

Complained about by Egypt apparently.