Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• That was mayhem
  • edited June 2018

On reflection, I give VAR a 3 out of 4 score for tonight's reviews.

Portugal penalty was the correct decision.

Ronaldo should've been punished and VAR did it's job by alerting the ref to it but the ref bottled his decision.

Iran penalty was marginal and should've been an "umpires call" situation in my eyes, if we want to compare it to a sport with video review. Certainly not a clear and obvious error.

Spain goal was NOT offside and VAR was there to help over turn it.

Thought VARce was supposed to get every decision right..hey ho back to relying on refs
    None of what happened as a direct consequence of VAR can be argued against. It's up to the referee to make the calls with the technology he's given.
    It's always going to be wrong according to some. I bet Refs last season were always poor against us....

Nope they weren't they just made decisions that were negative in outcome for us and without replays we assume they were wrong.
  • On reflection, I give VAR a 3 out of 4 score for tonight's reviews.

Ronaldo should've been punished and VAR did it's job by alerting the ref to it but the ref bottled his decision.

Iran penalty was marginal and should've been an "umpires call" situation in my eyes, if we want to compare it to a sport with video review. Certainly not a clear and obvious error.

Thought VARce was supposed to get every decision right..hey ho back to relying on refs
    None of what happened as a direct consequence of VAR can be argued against. It's up to the referee to make the calls with the technology he's given.
    Indeed are England still playing

No mate. You need to call up and get your Sky+ box fixed.
  • I had to laugh at what Zabaleta said about stamping out diving and rolling round trying to get oppo players booked. The dirty Argies and Italians invented it.....!
  • Always knew you were the most sensible poster on here, CE.
  • Nb as for the BBC commentators moaning about not getting things right.
    Guy Mowbray was it ? referred to the Uruguyan players and Lawro mentioned Suarez ! (unless I'm mistaken).

No mate. You need to call up and get your Sky+ box fixed.
    Your joking arnt you...if 6 players had broken their legs game would got going again after our forth...got to get EVERY decision right though
  • Sponsored links:

Why do you just spout complete nonsense ? So boring.
    Ditto to that

Christ you're boring.

The vast majority of the VAR related decisions have been correct. In fact the only one I can disagree with is Iran's penalty tonight, although I can see why the ref gave it, as his arm was in the air.

So something like 10 or 15 correct VAR decisions have been made and maybe one or two wrong.

So the important decision making has improved by possibly 80-90% and that has to be a good thing, if you are interested in getting the correct decisions.

The system will of course be improved as time goes by and yes maybe it can be argued that introducing it to the World Cup was too soon, but personally I'm very happy with it.
    So are you
  • Vast....
  • Think you're losing the plot chippy. Have a kit kat.
  • So you agree vast is acceptable what percentage is vast

He wouldn't be if i was doing his payroll and got the vast majority of my staff and not his

Christ you're boring.

The vast majority of the VAR related decisions have been correct. In fact the only one I can disagree with is Iran's penalty tonight, although I can see why the ref gave it, as his arm was in the air.

So something like 10 or 15 correct VAR decisions have been made and maybe one or two wrong.

So the important decision making has improved by possibly 80-90% and that has to be a good thing, if you are interested in getting the correct decisions.

The system will of course be improved as time goes by and yes maybe it can be argued that introducing it to the World Cup was too soon, but personally I'm very happy with it.
    So are you
    Appreciate though you acknowledging me as the messiah though....try telling the other loonies

He wouldn't be if i was doing his payroll and got the vast majority of my staff and not his
    Troll.
  • Stig said:

I am completely bored with all the time wasted in waiting for VAR decisions. It breaks up the flow of the game and makes it worse as a spectacle. It also encourages players to feign, argue and play act so that can't be a good thing. Also, a great many decisions are still subjective and always will be, it may mean that the fractions that you're arguing about are narrower than without video, but there's still a point where there's no absolute right or wrong. For those obsessed with pixellated- accuracy, can't you just go back to your PES games. Stop imagining that the world doesn't have any rough edges and let us have our game back.

It's my game as well and I disagree.
  • Sponsored links:

Troll.
    Ditto
  • Let's have a VAR World Cup for all the people that want the right decisions to be made and a non-VAR World Cup for all the people who want their game back but don't mind games being decided by incorrect decisions.
  • Let's have a VAR World Cup for all the people that want the right decisions to be made and a non-VAR World Cup for all the people who want their game back but don't mind games being decided by incorrect decisions.

But VAR doesn't stop games being decided by incorrect decisions, as we saw today. Stop fooling yourself.
  • edited June 2018
    Stig said:

Let's have a VAR World Cup for all the people that want the right decisions to be made and a non-VAR World Cup for all the people who want their game back but don't mind games being decided by incorrect decisions.

But VAR doesn't stop games being decided by incorrect decisions, as we saw today. Stop fooling yourself.
    It doesn't and it's not 100% (no-one has claimed it to be so) but without it, we'd have half a dozen games that were decided by incorrect decisions.

What's better? 5, 6 or 7? Or 1?
  • Stig said:

I am completely bored with all the time wasted in waiting for VAR decisions. It breaks up the flow of the game and makes it worse as a spectacle. It also encourages players to feign, argue and play act so that can't be a good thing. Also, a great many decisions are still subjective and always will be, it may mean that the fractions that you're arguing about are narrower than without video, but there's still a point where there's no absolute right or wrong. For those obsessed with pixellated- accuracy, can't you just go back to your PES games. Stop imagining that the world doesn't have any rough edges and let us have our game back.

Top post...they told us it would be dealt with in seconds a while ago,,,their response to me earlier hides their embarrassment
  • Stig said:

Let's have a VAR World Cup for all the people that want the right decisions to be made and a non-VAR World Cup for all the people who want their game back but don't mind games being decided by incorrect decisions.

Ever felt like banging someones head against the wall...
  • edited June 2018
    No VAR in the Sweden Korea game? Sweden don't get a clear penalty and don't win 1-0.

No VAR in the Spain Morocco game tonight? Spain goal is wrongly ruled out for offside and Spain unjustly lose 2-1.

Two clear examples off the top of my head.
  • edited June 2018

Stig said:

It doesn't and it's not 100% (no-one has claimed it to be so) but without it, we'd have half a dozen games that were decided by incorrect decisions.

Well you just did by saying it would be a world cup for "all the right decisions to be made" :smile:
  • edited June 2018

Stig said:

Ever felt like banging someones head against the wall...
    LOL
    DRAddick said:

Stig said:

Well you just did by saying it would be a world cup for "all the right decisions to be made" :smile:
    "All the people who want right decisions" is different to "all the right decisions".