Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options

VAR has to be judged on the totality of decision making because referees are making decisions based on expected video evidence e.g. Nigeria penalty. The VAR team also referred another ludicrous handball decision tonight. It really is a cop out for VAR fans to take credit for all the correct decisions and blame poor refereeing for all the poor ones. Overall the decision making is less consistent than we get every week in the premier league and arguably less consistent than previous world cups. It has been rushed in to solve a problem that mostly didn't exist, overall refereeing at the top level is very good in my opinion. Football is not like other sports, it is fluid, and doesn't lend itself to constant stoppages.
    For the record i am strong remainer and anti VAR but don't see a link

As I have said a few times now, my comment was very tongue in cheek. The basis of it being both quitlings and VAR-rah-rah-ers are promising a bright new future with a leap into the dark, when current evidence is showing otherwise... :smiley:
  • Options
    What about the decisions that have not been made? The penalty calls for England and Serbia? The article is an objective view anyway.
  • Options

What about the decisions that have not been made? The penalty calls for England and Serbia? The article is an objective view anyway.
    But those decisions would have been missed anyway. You can't blame VAR for those. And they are not on the same level as the originally disallowed Spanish goal. Under different circumstances a team could have been knocked out because of an obvious error like that one. And it is these kinds of incorrect decisions that VAR is being introduced to help reduce.
  • Options

But those decisions would have been missed anyway. You can't blame VAR for those. And they are not on the same level as the originally disallowed Spanish goal. Under different circumstances a team could have been knocked out because of an obvious error like that one. And it is these kinds of incorrect decisions that VAR is being introduced to help reduce.
    You are mostly right, but your blind defence of what is clearly not working anywhere near as well as it should - most of us spotted the penalties I refer to immediately, why didn't the five people sitting in the VAR room - is a bit annoying. Ask any Serb whether the blatant penalty was not on the same level as Spain's disallowed goal.
  • Options

VAR has to be judged on the totality of decision making because referees are making decisions based on expected video evidence e.g. Nigeria penalty. The VAR team also referred another ludicrous handball decision tonight. It really is a cop out for VAR fans to take credit for all the correct decisions and blame poor refereeing for all the poor ones. Overall the decision making is less consistent than we get every week in the premier league and arguably less consistent than previous world cups. It has been rushed in to solve a problem that mostly didn't exist, overall refereeing at the top level is very good in my opinion. Football is not like other sports, it is fluid, and doesn't lend itself to constant stoppages.
    For the record i am strong remainer and anti VAR but don't see a link

As I have said a few times now, my comment was very tongue in cheek. The basis of it being both quitlings and VAR-rah-rah-ers are promising a bright new future with a leap into the dark, when current evidence is showing otherwise... :smiley:
    what evidence?
  • Options

You can't separate the officials from VAR, they are all one system. How and when/if the system is used or isn't used is currently confused. The officials are seemingly dealing with uncertain guidelines in the use of VAR. And the fact it can't always be used to enforce a "clear and obvious mistake" as it's designed to baffles me. So is it the officials making mistakes or the system that isn't ready yet?
    Football is a game of opinions and grey areas, which is fine. But I look forward to the next major tournaments when it will be hopefully be working better instead of rushed through like this one.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

You can't separate the officials from VAR, they are all one system. How and when/if the system is used or isn't used is currently confused. The officials are seemingly dealing with uncertain guidelines in the use of VAR. And the fact it can't always be used to enforce a "clear and obvious mistake" as it's designed to baffles me. So is it the officials making mistakes or the system that isn't ready yet?
    Football is a game of opinions and grey areas, which is fine. But I look forward to the next major tournaments when it will be hopefully be working better instead of rushed through like this one.
    It is already working very well as evidenced by the overturning of 13 incorrect decisions when VAR team asked referee to review.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

DRAddick said:

It is already working very well as evidenced by the overturning of 13 incorrect decisions when VAR team asked referee to review.
    But VAR isn't supposed to just be about that. You could just have one person with one screen to check decisions if that was the case. It's supposed to be about spotting stuff during gameplay as well which it arguably hasn't been successful at largely down the guidelines of when VAR can interrupt play. I am pro VAR, but I would argue it's to wishy washy at the moment and if anything the system is too cowardly in enforcing the referee to go back to clear serious mistakes or missed offences.
    I also believe it's effecting how refs and linesman are making or not making decisions in a negative way.
  • Options
    Thank you VAR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Long live VAR hahahahaha
  • Options
    VAR is a massive success.

Any dissenting voices can get stuffed.
  • Options
    Sing after me.

Vee Aaaay Arrrr

Vee Aaaay Arrrr

Vee Aaaay Arrrr

Vee Aaaay Arrrr
  • Options
    I'm Vary impressed.

Ahem.
  • Options
    2 minds about VAR before, but 100% for it now....
  • Options
    I love var.. ....now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love you VAR
  • Options
    The German for Var is War!
    So they lost another one.
  • Options
    Where's Chippy gone ? :wink:
  • Options
    I'm warming to it.

• Options

Where's Chippy gone ? :wink:

Here's here.... Think its great cant wait for it yo come over here... No controversy, quick decisions... Who wouldn't want it.
  • Options
    VAR is a babe, she will mature into the
    Best thing to happen to football since nets were introduced in 1892 by the civil Engineer, John Alexander Brodie.

Not a lot of people know that.
  • Options
    It was VAR has done is to produce a raft of wannabe experts; spectators who have been demonstrable short of knowledge of the Laws of the Game specifically and referring generally. You had a good day @Chippycafc ?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

It was VAR has done is to produce a raft of wannabe experts; spectators who have been demonstrable short of knowledge of the Laws of the Game specifically and referring generally. You had a good day @Chippycafc ?

Bit harsh Peter, some refs are OK :wink:
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Have a good day every day..... Thanks.
  • Options

VAR is a babe, she will mature into the
    Best thing to happen to football since nets were introduced in 1892 by the civil Engineer, John Alexander Brodie.

Not a lot of people know that.

The best technology used in football is floodlights - by a country mile.