Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018

1StevieG said:

Referee media briefing following group stage. One hour 42 minutes of pure joy.
    https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/fifa-referee-team-to-brief-media-after-group-stage

A number of stats from the group stage were presented:

Yellow cards: 162 (3.4 average per match)
    Red cards: 1 direct, 2 second yellow cards
    Penalty kicks: 24 (7 VAR)
    Actual playing time: 56min 45sec average per match
    Additional time: 6min 15sec average per match
    VAR ‘Checks’: 335 incidents checked (6.9 average per match)
    VAR Reviews: 17
    Decisions changed after VAR Review: 14
    Decisions confirmed after VAR Review: 3
    Match changing decisions accuracy: 95 per cent correct without VAR, 99.3 per cent correct with VAR

Just as I thought. Actual VAR reviews not even one per game. So once again football has not died a little bit but has got better with the use of it.
    Doesn't say what the last statistic actually means!

Does it include the "decisions" not to award penalties for all the holding incidents at corners. (At least half a dozen in the England - Belgium game alone).

Very common trick to follow good factual statistics by something which means absolutely nothing!
    I don’t recall any holding incidents that warranted a penalty like the England Panama game did. As mentioned in the earlier post it is a contact sport and the ref can’t give a foul each time someone touched or held someone off because they were stronger than them. My question to you would be why are refs praising the system if it could take away some responsibility from refereeing the game?

There are still going to be incidents in games where you can question the refs interpretation of a foul like the one on Quaresma in the final minutes of the game last night. It’s not a perfect system and never will be but it is an improvement and it’s moving along with the pace of the game. And just one other thing on the celebration of a goal scored after it had to b checked on VAR. I didn’t see too many South Koreans not going bat shit crazy when it was confirmed their goal was good against the Germans.
  • Options
    Just let me say that I'm generally pleasantly surprised and proved wrong by the way VAR has operated for offsides and matters of fact etc..

My lingering dissatisfaction comes because I don't really believe that most fouls are actually a matter of interpretation.

If a player has not already played the ball, and is not attempting to play the ball, he must not deliberately impede or obstruct a player who is playing the ball.

If a referee sees this happen, he gives a free kick - there is no room for interpretation any more than he needs to "interpret" whether a ball has crossed the line far enough to warrant a goal! Referees can only call a foul if they clearly see something happen and often make mistakes. But at least we all know the rules.

Now we have moved to a situation where the VAR clearly often sees that a rule has been deliberately broken and effectively makes a judgement whether that particular foul warrants a free kick or penalty. I have no idea how they do this!

We have traded refereeing mistakes for deliberate muddying and disregard of the rules. As a spectator I don't really like that.
  • Options
    Just watched the Russia Spain match.

Are you allowed to pull shirt and hold on to an opponent? Doesn't seem to be any fixed rule about this any more. VAR decides. But how?
  • Options
    VAR doesn't decide anything, why are people still repeating this nonsense. All VAR can do is recommend the referee review the footage if they believe he has a made a clear mistake/not seen an incident.
  • Options
    Even with VAR the referee makes the decision. If he didn't see it, and VAR think he made s mistake he looks at the review screen.
  • Options
    So what happened in that incident towards the end of the Spain Russia Game? The ref paused but didn't look at the screen, does that mean VAR panel said there was nothing to review or that there was something to review but he chose not to? Because it looked a far better shout than the iran Portugal game handball incident which ended up being given
  • Options

So what happened in that incident towards the end of the Spain Russia Game? The ref paused but didn't look at the screen, does that mean VAR panel said there was nothing to review or that there was something to review but he chose not to? Because it looked a far better shout than the iran Portugal game handball incident which ended up being given

Without hearing the conversation between the two (my biggest criticism of the system) we'll never know. It's could be the the whole replay (rather than just the last 2 seconds) shows the Spanish players pushing and shoving first, or the ref said he clearly saw it and don't think it was excessive contact (slow mm long always makes it look worse). I'm just guessing, as is everybody else unless the ref/FIFA come out and explain the decision.
  • Options

Without hearing the conversation between the two (my biggest criticism of the system) we'll never know. It's could be the the whole replay (rather than just the last 2 seconds) shows the Spanish players pushing and shoving first, or the ref said he clearly saw it and don't think it was excessive contact (slow mm long always makes it look worse). I'm just guessing, as is everybody else unless the ref/FIFA come out and explain the decision.
    VAR: " It's a pen"
    Ref: " 2 mins to go, F that I'm in Russia- no pen"
  • Options
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This game needs VAR just for something to talk about zzzzzz
  • Options
    Well well well the biggest VAR cock up happens in the final. Shambles
  • Options
    I would like to hear the ref's explanation. It looked like a 50/50 call to me and certainly did not appear that a clear & obvious error was made by not giving the pen.

If you think about playing this match without VAR then IMO Perisic could not have any complaints if the referee decided to give it in real time. Same goes with France not having any complaints if they didn't get a penalty.
  • Options
    Fuck Off VAR

Watch Griezman cheat and do nothing about it! COWARD.

Riduculous penalty decision.

Just FUCK OFF and leave the game alone!
  • Options

Fuck Off VAR

Misunderstanding of what VAR is and isn't currently allowed to review.

50/50 decision for me. Could've gone either way. Not a clear and obvious error so probably shouldn't have gone to a review.
  • Options
    Say no more... Muppets 0 proper people 1
  • Options

Fuck Off VAR

50/50 decision for me. Could've gone either way. Not a clear and obvious error so probably shouldn't have gone to a review.
    "The VAR team communicates with the referee only for clear and obvious mistakes or serious missed incidents"

The penalty was a serious missed incident, so VAR was correctly applied. Once the ref reviewed the decision - several times - he made his decision.

This incident is a case of VAR being used correctly.
  • Options
    Happy to be corrected. :-)
  • Options
    Get in
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Fuck Off VAR

"The VAR team communicates with the referee only for clear and obvious mistakes or serious missed incidents"

The penalty was a serious missed incident, so VAR was correctly applied. Once the ref reviewed the decision - several times - he made his decision.

Go away was never a penalty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

Fuck Off VAR

I didn't say it was. The ref did.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Fuck Off VAR

I didn't say it was. The ref did. </blockquot

Indeed
  • Options
    VAR has been an unqualified success. You are never going to completely remove controversies surrounding difference in interpretation.
  • Options

VAR has been an unqualified success. You are never going to completely remove controversies surrounding difference in interpretation.

I think it's been a qualified success. It's overcome a lot of the reservations I had before the tournament.
  • Options
    I have the same criticisms I had at the outset. Poor communication between ref decisions and fans in stadium, no transparency in ref communication with VAR team, no consistency in decisions being referred/not referred, and concerns about not stopping play immediately leading to a goal at the other end and the problems that would create.

I have no confidence that these issues will be resolved quickly or in a fair or satisfactory way as yet.
  • Options
    VAR is the worst thing that ever happened in football. Apart from removing the maximum wage... How the ref changed his mind for that penalty is ridiculous ... If that was handball i am a whinging cry baby remainer.
  • Options
    Handball can be pretty subjective really - what one ref sees as a penalty another won't.

Even with VAR.

• Options
    The two most contentious VAR decisions this world cup if I recall were handball calls in the Iran Portugal game and tonight. FWIW I thought neither were handball. Rather than calling out VAR it seems to me the handball law needs revisiting as it's so much down to the official's interpretation of events. The law itself is so vague.
  • Options

i am a whinging cry baby

:smiley:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    VAR has eventually (after missed England V Tunisia challenges ) reduced a lot of the sly holding/tugging/pulling/pushing bullshit at corners and free kicks and it feels to me there’s been more goals for it , so that’s a big plus right there