Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    Isn’t it meant to correct “obvious errors” or something?
  • Options
    /thanks god it wasn't used in our game. Celebrating then having the panic of a wait hoping it won't be disallowed especially with the decisions we have had this season. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    This even messes up the joy of “aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggghhhhh” or “sit down shut up” when the conceding team’s fans see the lino’s flag go up.  
  • Options
    It works, it’s here to stay, end off!
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    I'm going for piss while they check.
    Okay I'm back, did we score.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

• Options
    Next season, some of those Prem evening kick offs will be finishing at midnight !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

Yes if your glass is empty, you exaggerate the time it takes to check, you dont want decisions to be correct and you dont embrace change for the good of the game. Then its depressing, for forward thinking people like myself its a winner. But you crack on staring into the dregs of yer pint.
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

Yes if your glass is empty, you exaggerate the time it takes to check, you dont want decisions to be correct and you dont embrace change for the good of the game. Then its depressing, for forward thinking people like myself its a winner. But you crack on staring into the dregs of yer pint.
    I get it from your point. We try to eliminate the errors from the ref. There's hundreds of millions involved etc. 

But can't you see it at all from us non VAR fans?
    Seriously, you can't celebrate a goal anymore, without being worried: 'Oh, is there a slight chance of an error somewhere? They might have to check it. We'll have to wait and see, if it's a goal or not'.

The best things about football, is the joy, when the ball is in the net.

Imagine the scenes at Wembley, when we scored. With VAR, that wouldn't exist, as they would have had to check if it was a free kick. And no, I don't give a rat's arse, if it had been Sunderland or us scoring. I love the emotions of football, winning or losing.
    Not this artificial bullshit of the joy being put on hold, as we need to check something, the ref might have missed.
    Sorry mate you're wrong IMO, the goal will still be celebrated.......because no one going to be thinking about VAR at that precise moment.
    Now if it goes to VAR, we have a 30 second delay, and if the goal is good, we celebrate again, that is what will happen........two celebrations for the price of one goal. If its not a goal, then we have the correct decision, now over the course of a season some will go for us and some against.
    Remember the infamous Fulham throw in at the Valley, if that had been changed it would have been ours, imagine how that could have changed our history.
    VAR in the World Cup was a success, of that there is no question.

• Options
    It'll get to the point when you are scared to celebrate a goal  in case it is overruled. 
    Bullocks to that.
    Stick with goal-line technology and leave the rest to the officials.
    Well said, stick to matters of fact not opinion.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

What is it with VAR supporters on this thread being such dickheads about it?
  • Options
    Mate you need to get yourself a new stopwatch if you think that each VAR decision takes 30 seconds - by my reckoning the offside goal and subsequent handball took around two minutes each - hence the seven minutes of injury time.

As others have said VAR is supposed to be clear and obvious errors - that Chilwell 'handball' clearly hit his back, yet as fans we have to sit through numerous replays, before the obvious decision is finally reached.

What I dislike most about VAR is that it takes all of the immiedacy and spontaniety out of the game - goal-line technology I can accept, the rest of it I would be happy to ditch, as one of the great joys of football is that sometimes you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue - just like life really!
    I threw that 30 second line in, just to see who would attack it. I know how long it takes.
    So lets forget about getting decisions right, forget about how incorrect decisions ruins seasons and tournaments and maybe clubs, and lets worry about a few curmudgeonly old 'die hards' who dont like it, probably the same old buggers who think the football standard was better in the 70's because they kicked the shit out of each other, and because it takes a minute or two to get the decision right, and to try and reinforce their opinion, they say to takes the spontaneity out the game. You must have seen loads of games whereby players gather around a ref over a contentious decision, so much time is lost on those occasions. Losing the spontaneity from the game. Do me a favour.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Greenie said:
    Danepak said:
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

I get it from your point. We try to eliminate the errors from the ref. There's hundreds of millions involved etc. 

Seriously, you can't celebrate a goal anymore, without being worried: 'Oh, is there a slight chance of an error somewhere? They might have to check it. We'll have to wait and see, if it's a goal or not'.

Imagine the scenes at Wembley, when we scored. With VAR, that wouldn't exist, as they would have had to check if it was a free kick. And no, I don't give a rat's arse, if it had been Sunderland or us scoring. I love the emotions of football, winning or losing.
    Not this artificial bullshit of the joy being put on hold, as we need to check something, the ref might have missed.
    Sorry mate you're wrong IMO, the goal will still be celebrated.......because no one going to be thinking about VAR at that precise moment.
    Now if it goes to VAR, we have a 30 second delay, and if the goal is good, we celebrate again, that is what will happen........two celebrations for the price of one goal. If its not a goal, then we have the correct decision, now over the course of a season some will go for us and some against.
    Remember the infamous Fulham throw in at the Valley, if that had been changed it would have been ours, imagine how that could have changed our history.

Except it wouldn't, because VAR only checks penalties, offsides, red cards and mistaken identity. It doesn't have anything to do with free kicks or throws. No matter how much we try, officials are human and their mistakes will affect games. It's been that way since football started.

I think it's sad that people are so incapable of accepting refereeing mistakes as part and parcel of the game that we have ended up with this system which is going to take away the best thing about football, the wild, euphoric celebrating of a goal. Give me the odd shit decision which costs us a game any day over that. 

Still, it's here to stay. So we're going to have to get used to it. 

• Options
    edited June 2019
    alicwkd said:
    Greenie said:
    Danepak said:
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

Except it wouldn't, because VAR only checks penalties, offsides, red cards and mistaken identity. It doesn't have anything to do with free kicks or throws. No matter how much we try, officials are human and their mistakes will affect games. It's been that way since football started.

I think it's sad that people are so incapable of accepting refereeing mistakes as part and parcel of the game that we have ended up with this system which is going to take away the best thing about football, the wild, euphoric celebrating of a goal. Give me the odd shit decision which costs us a game any day over that. 

Yes I know mate, I know...I was using it as example of how one incorrect decision can affect a whole football club.
    I really cant accept that supporters would be happy for us to lose a game on a bad ref decision. But you crack on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I personally like being able to slag the ref off as part of the whole match watching experience. VAR robs me of that pleasure.

Goal line technology only for me.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

What is it with VAR supporters on this thread being such dickheads about it?
    Really? Oh dear!
  • Options
    I personally like being able to slag the ref off as part of the whole match watching experience. VAR robs me of that pleasure.

Goal line technology only for me.
    Goal line technology is overrated...

• Options
    Greenie said:
    alicwkd said:
    Greenie said:
    Danepak said:
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

Yes I know mate, I know...I was using it as example of how one incorrect decision can affect a whole football club.
    I really cant accept that supporters would be happy for us to lose a game on a bad ref decision. But you crack on.
    When the whole VAR thing kicked off I used that Fulham thing as an example why it is bullshit. Why restrict the decisions to some stuff and not others? If you recall my take on it was all or nothing. And I and (reading the last couple of pages) almost everyone else would prefer nothing. 

That "goal" and subsequent two minute wait was quite honestly one of my worst ever football watching experiences in over 45 years mate.  I was in full on joy mode, adrenaline pumping nearly as much as Wembley the other day. Then what felt like ten minutes later, I wasn't. If you can brush that off as "ah well..." your take on football is wildly different to mine. 

Yes we always had the glance at the linesman in the past, but that was in the moment, part of the goal. That "thing" last night was a truly awful experience (in sporting terms).

And what about the players? Everyone in the stadium, on the pitch and at home "knew" we had scored. Suddenly that euphoria is not only taken away from one team, but given to the other. To the Dutch that must have felt like they had scored - a bit like a saved penalty. A total psychological kick in the nuts, game changing in the way that a wrong decision can be...   

Equally farcical was the VAR when Sterling (I think) was through and fouled in the area. Now at first of course we are saying "Oh he's onside", then of course it dawning that the lino has let it go so he doesn't have to make a decision. Like the umpires do in cricket now, when a player is clearly well in his ground at a run out, but the umpire still refers it.

We will always have to agree to disagree, I know.        
    I empathise with all the above, but the bottom line for me over all of it is the correct decision must be made as often as is possible.
    Also I think we will see it used for 'other' decisions, it will evolve, because sport does.
    I love motorsport as well, particularly motorcycle racing, many times ive cheered the leader of a race during the first three or four laps, only to see him disappear up the pit lane, for a rid through penalty because they had a jump start which took the clarke of the course a bit of time to review.
    Ultimately we'll all get used to it, even all the stick in the muds.
    And yes this debate shows we will all have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    VAR  is shit ---fact. Modern football is shit ----- "simulation" no it's CHEATING ---hand ball if it touches someone's finger nail blah blah

Here to stay yep but it's shit
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Lingard was offside and the correct decision was reached in an important competitive fixture. Sorry, you’ll get used to it eventually like the top leagues in the rest of Europe have over the past two years.
  • Options
    VAR goes for your team: It's brilliant! Corrects ref errors!

VAR goes against your team: Ruining the game! Controversy is a part of football!

It was the correct decision, I'd much rather that than being knocked out due to a player diving or handball.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Lingard was offside and the correct decision was reached in an important competitive fixture. Sorry, you’ll get used to it eventually like the top leagues in the rest of Europe have over the past two years.
    VAR should be used to correct obvious errors, it was brought in so we wouldn't have the Lampard no goal situation again which makes the sport look stupid.  In this case offside was only a whisker, and anything marginal they should stay out and let the officials officiate.  For offside can't they use radar technology which sends a bleep signal to the lino?  Like goal line technology  Going back and reversing decisions is wrong way IMO