Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    Lingard was offside and the correct decision was reached in an important competitive fixture. Sorry, you’ll get used to it eventually like the top leagues in the rest of Europe have over the past two years.
    Was it an important fixture? I didn’t really care, the Nations League is a far bigger joke than VAR. 
    Relax everyone, cafcfan1990 say's it's a joke, so we should all just chill.

Thank goodness he's put us right.   
    Weird post, you should have had an extra hour in bed...
    You throw in a completely random and irrelevant statement in a thread about VAR, and I'm the weird one?   ;)
    Commenting on the Nations League (in reply to a comment from Callum) whilst the forum is discussing a VAR decision in the Nations League, yes that was completely random...
  • Options
    VAR = Match Fixing.

No way on earth would that penalty be retaken if it wasn't France.

Will not waste any more time watching any more  of this rubbish.
  • Options
    VAR = Match Fixing.

No way on earth would that penalty be retaken if it wasn't France.

Will not waste any more time watching any more  of this rubbish.
    Can't help feeling there is some external pressure being applied.  When England missed the other day I don't remember it being reviewed despite the fact it looked like encroachment, let alone the 'keeper being a few millimetres off the line.

And what is it with all the yellow cards following VAR?  Ball brushes the Thai girl's arm for a harsh penalty but yellow card?  France pen (which the ref should have given straight away) was correct, but a 2nd yellow? 
  • Options
    I've worried for a while that VAR could be used to help the bigger teams with referees simply ignoring other requests to view it from others

Will be interesting to see how its implemented in the Premier League next season yet fully expecting the top six to get more decisions going to VAR than we'll see for the likes of Sheffield United etc.
  • Options
    Very, very dodgy that France game.

I didn't think it was a penalty or a retake.
  • Options
    Also France were encroaching.
  • Options
    Exactly my thoughts Neil. What an absolute joke!
  • Options
    Ridiculous, anyone who still thinks VAR is great needs their head examined. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VAR would be fine if they stopped using it for marginal decisions and kept it for "clear and obvious errors" like advertised.

Players a yard offside scoring, the Henry handball type situations, times refs miss punches or headbutts because of a brawl, or when the ref sends off the wrong player etc etc.

Not the ones that need 7 replays themselves before deciding.
    Get your point Neil, but again, between the two scenarios, is a grey area. One man's "clear and obvious" is another's "marginal". Which is why I will stick to my guns and say all or nothing (yet again - I know I am like a broken record) - and for me, it's still nothing.   
  • Options
    Will VAR be applied ruthlessly to penalty shoot-outs as well?  

It's very rarely that a penalty is actually saved "legally". Goalkeepers always take a little step forward as the ball is kicked.
  • Options
    It just takes me back to my previous post. Would the French have challenged the goalkeeping at the penalty? - I don't think so. I'm convinced that this has to be done as a 'challenge system.' At least then there is no possibilty of one team being favoured over the other.

As a footnote, I wanted VAR to stop incidences like Maradona, Lampard's goal in S. Africa, Henry's handball. It just isn't necessary to keep reviewing everything. It's become a finickity farce. (Fastidious and fussy; difficult to please; exacting, especially about details; meticulous and particular). Thinking about it, I think that VAR must be run by the French civil service.
  • Options
    VAR would be fine if they stopped using it for marginal decisions and kept it for "clear and obvious errors" like advertised.

Players a yard offside scoring, the Henry handball type situations, times refs miss punches or headbutts because of a brawl, or when the ref sends off the wrong player etc etc.

Agree.  I thought the Thai penalty was a case in point.  Stepping backwards and forwards to see if the ball brushed the girls arm.  I thought they we going to get snicko out next... 
  • Options
    Watched the France Nigeria game last night. Hate VAR but i guess it got both the penalty award and retake correct. Just wonder if they'd have been so efficient if it was down the other end though. Thought the refereeing was very biased to France all game.
  • Options
    It just takes me back to my previous post. Would the French have challenged the goalkeeping at the penalty? - I don't think so. I'm convinced that this has to be done as a 'challenge system.' At least then there is no possibilty of one team being favoured over the other.

As a footnote, I wanted VAR to stop incidences like Maradona, Lampard's goal in S. Africa, Henry's handball. It just isn't necessary to keep reviewing everything. It's become a finickity farce. (Fastidious and fussy; difficult to please; exacting, especially about details; meticulous and particular). Thinking about it, I think that VAR must be run by the French civil service.
    I think the French would have been told to challenge by their coaches watching on TV. It takes less than a few seconds to see that a challenge must succeed.

But, of course, the Nigerians would obviously be told challenge the retake which would also succeed because there was definite encroachment!

Not sure where that leaves us though.
  • Options
    Farce as usual in the Scotland game
  • Options
    Scotland v Argentina. I rewatched that. VAR & thé pénalités took 8 minutes. Thé ref played 1 minute afterwards. Absolutely crazy. All the players were bewildered and thé crowd booed. Bad for football.
  • Options
    That's not VAR. That's the new rules.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    That's not VAR. That's the new rules.
    But thé final whistle went effectively after 87 minutes. That's thé farce.
  • Options
    I still don’t fully understand how it works

Thats her slogan isnt it?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I’m all for having the correct decision made during a match, so advocate the principal of VAR.

It will be interesting to hear how many penalties are given over a season due to VAR and how many goals are ruled out, whether they equal each other out, or whether it increases / decreases the amount of goals scored.

I didn’t watch the Scotland game tonight, so can’t comment on VAR being useless tonight, but keepers have been coming off their line for a penalty for years, but it’s rarely stopped and retaken.
  • Options

Great post.

VAR is supposed to be for clear and obvious errors, but now instead we have referees just using it for every decision to cover their arses. If you need to watch a replay back half a dozen times in super slow motion to decide that a keeper has her foot 5mm off the goal line or a striker has his big toe offside then for me, it's crazy.
  • Options
    In terms of the Scotland game yesterday there’s no issue with VAR, the problem was the officials and the stupid new rules regarding keepers and penalties. 

Penalty was was a penalty, the ref missed it and VAR was right to award it. I guess she took so long over it to make sure the defender hadn’t touched the ball at all. 

The ref should have stopped the game for the sub before Argentina took their free kick. 

Retaking the penalty was the right call by VAR by the letter of the law, but it is a stupid law. A keeper is barely allowed to move now and must have one foot on the line when the penalty is taken. But the taker can take as long to run up as they want, they can change the speed of their run up to try and draw the keeper off the line, might as well skip the penalty altogether and award a penalty goal with the way they’re going. 

Not adding on time at at the end is on the official not VAR. everyone in the stadium knew the ref was wrong and we can just hope that’s the last we see of her at the World Cup. 
  • Options
    Are the rules for penalties that different now? Or does VAR just make it possible to apply them.

I don't believe it will be possible for referees without VAR to apply the penalty rules in the same way that VAR can.

Goalkeepers in the premier league will need to change their technique to have any chance of saving a penalty.

But keepers in the championship will continue with the little step forward because refs will have no real chance of spotting it.

Cup games between teams from the two "codes" will be unfair because one of the teams will effectively be playing to different laws to what they are used to.

• Options
    Are the rules for penalties that different now? Or does VAR just make it possible to apply them.

I don't believe it will be possible for referees without VAR to apply the penalty rules in the same way that VAR can.

Goalkeepers in the premier league will need to change their technique to have any chance of saving a penalty.

But keepers in the championship will continue with the little step forward because refs will have no real chance of spotting it.

Cup games between teams from the two "codes" will be unfair because one of the teams will effectively be playing to different laws to what they are used to.

But that'll also be up to the Goalkeepers to remember what they can and cant do as part of their preparation ahead of said game

It does make it a farce though that you can have players getting with a rule at one level yet penalised for it at another

The beauty of Football was that it could be played from the highest level to the lowest level played on a park pitch on a Sunday; Goal Line Tech did change that but VAR really has seen that go
  • Options

But that'll also be up to the Goalkeepers to remember what they can and cant do as part of their preparation ahead of said game

It does make it a farce though that you can have players getting with a rule at one level yet penalised for it at another

The beauty of Football was that it could be played from the highest level to the lowest level played on a park pitch on a Sunday; Goal Line Tech did change that but VAR really has seen that go
    Yup.....one of my biggest arguments against VAR is that even between the pro leagues - games are not being managed equally. 

You could argue that they weren’t pre VAR what with different levels of officiating quality....but VAR pretty much makes them different sports in this regard.