Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    As said by Neville / Carragher though

Why isnt the Referee being advised to go look at the screen and make the decision themselves
  • Options

Why isnt the Referee being advised to go look at the screen and make the decision themselves
    For all we know the VAR guy looked the replay, thought Origi made a meal of the challenge and told the ref there wasn't much in it so you can give the goal
  • Options
    Football is not a non contact sport. That wasn’t a foul for me.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Because the PL bods had the “it slows the game down too much” moaners in their ear so refs are only meant to go over to the screen in certain situations.
  • Options

I think this is how it will evolve. Refs will go and look
  • Options
    You could argue that Mane had an arm on him, if only slightly, before he handled so it should have been a penalty.
  • Options
    VAR is there to make sure refs are always right. Goals are hardly ever given when a ref has blow for a foul & it's the  shown ir wasnt. How many of you think that if that was the other way round & the ball had touched the Man U defender's hand (it was ball TO hand & not HAND to ball remembrr) that it would have been a pen. Not many I bet.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    VAR is there to make sure refs are always right. Goals are hardly ever given when a ref has blow for a foul & it's the  shown ir wasnt. How many of you think that if that was the other way round & the ball had touched the Man U defender's hand (it was ball TO hand & not HAND to ball remembrr) that it would have been a pen. Not many I bet.
    But that's because they changed the law on handball. If it hits an attackers hand/arm in the build-up to a goal then it's automatically a free kick.

Keep up.

Anyway, I think the Marne one gets given as handball almost every time if the ref actually sees it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    So, has anyone changed their minds on VAR these past few weeks?
    Not me. I never wanted it and I never will. Rather than settling arguments, its existence simply creates the conditions whereby the arguments take place over increasingly trivial matters. It also encourages more indiscipline from the players who sense that it has become more worthwhile arguing with the ref, because there's now a chance of decisions being overturned. And, crucially, it's not definitively correct anyway, it's still down to interpretation as can be seen by differing opinions here.

Get shot of it and give refs the power (indeed the responsibility) to punish cheating Belgians like Origi
  • Options
    Do you understand how the rules changed this year?
    Obviously he dont. But i see what he is saying that VAR should help the ref
  • Options
    Did they look at Lallana for offside?
  • Options
    Did they look at Lallana for offside?
    Yup... Would have liked to have seen the actual lines drawn though to confirm it
  • Options
    Another game spoiled. Decisions about who wins made randomly from above.

I prefer a game decided by a mistake than a committee deciding who they would prefer to win.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I prefer a game decided by a mistake than a committee deciding who they would prefer to win.
    I'm no fan of VAR either but todays match they got everything right

My only gripe is the fact VAR looked at the Origi foul, it had nothing to do with the goal so they shouldn't even bother those decisions
  • Options

My only gripe is the fact VAR looked at the Origi foul, it had nothing to do with the goal so they shouldn't even bother those decisions
    Lol.

"Everything right"?

"Nothing to do with the goal?" 

Just goes to show that it's all about opinions. Which is what it has always been about. 

The problem is that all these reviews are spoiling the flow and spectacle of the game and for no real benefit - people are still arguing about different views. (In my view.)
  • Options
    I know they are different sports and people often say about spoiling the flow, however why can footie not look at the rugby model? 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Lol.

"Everything right"?

Just goes to show that it's all about opinions. Which is what it has always been about. 

The problem is that all these reviews are spoiling the flow and spectacle of the game and for no real benefit - people are still arguing about different views. (In my view.)
    what did you think they got wrong then?

I'm kind of agreeing with you, they shouldn't spoil the flow, hence they shouldn't disallow a goal because of some innocuous foul that happened at the other end of the pitch
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Lol.

"Everything right"?

I'm kind of agreeing with you, they shouldn't spoil the flow, hence they shouldn't disallow a goal because of some innocuous foul that happened at the other end of the pitch
    But sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Lol.

"Everything right"?

But sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't....

as I said i'm not a fan, just pointing out that in this instance they got it right. 

The ref said no foul and waved play on , VAR can only overrule if it's a clear and obvious mistake, it wasn't.
  • Options
    The fact this is still being discussed shows that it's a farce.... Same old lines every week with no end to it. 
  • Options
    I know they are different sports and people often say about spoiling the flow, however why can footie not look at the rugby model? 
    I have highlighted the answer to your question oR… ;)
  • Options
    I have highlighted the answer to your question oR… ;)
    Yeh i walked into that one. Just meant the whole video refereeing and communication between the ref on the pitch seems to work well whenever i watch rugby. And it doesnt seem to slow the game down that much. Some of the VAR delays in football are unbelievable
  • Options
    I seem to recall that there was a disputed corner near the end of the game - or a possible foul followed by a corner being awarded - I can't remember. If MU had scored from that corner, would VAR have been used to wipe out the goal if the corner had been shown to be a wrong decision? I assume not. I do wonder whether VAR should be restricted to offsides, whether a ball crossed the line and not much else. 
  • Options
    How bizarre. 

So what wouldve happened if it was the opposing teams sub that touched the ball? Or a ballboy? Or a fan running onto the pitch?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Just obeying orders....
  • Options
    So in the Man City game, the panel awarded the goal to Silva but VAR allowed the goal on the basis it didn't touch anyone after de Bruyne hit it?   hmmm
  • Options

7. EXTRA PERSONS ON THE FIELD OF PLAY

The coach and other officials named on the team list (with the exception of players or substitutes) are team officials. Anyone not named on the team list as a player, substitute or team official is an outside agent.

If a team official, substitute, substituted or sent-off player or outside agent enters the field of play, the referee must:

• only stop play if there is interference with play

• have the person removed when play stops

• take appropriate disciplinary action

If play is stopped and the interference was by:

• a team official, substitute, substituted or sent-off player, play restarts with a direct free kick or penalty kick

• an outside agent, play restarts with a dropped ball

If a ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent a defending player playing the ball, the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the interference was by the attacking team.