Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options

The Premier League will not use video assistant referees in 2019-20 to rule on goalkeepers moving off their line to save a penalty.

Three penalties have been retaken at the Women's World Cup after VAR ruled keepers did not have at least part of one foot on the goalline.

The Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL) will leave such decisions to on-field officials.

PGMOL could review the situation during the season.

VAR will be used in the Premier League for the first time during 2019-20.

• Options

The Premier League will not use video assistant referees in 2019-20 to rule on goalkeepers moving off their line to save a penalty.

Three penalties have been retaken at the Women's World Cup after VAR ruled keepers did not have at least part of one foot on the goalline.

The Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL) will leave such decisions to on-field officials.

Good decision
  • Options

Great. At least
  • Options

Common sense prevails.
  • Options
    So now there are two types of law in football! 

Some laws (like offside) apply all the time and are measured to the millimetre but others only apply at the discretion of the ref?

A goalkeeper must have a foot on the line when a penalty is taken except if the ref decides it was OK because ………… ….. …… …..  (fill in the blanks).

WTF?
  • Options
    Will goalies be sent off in the world cup penalty shoot-outs if they encroach twice during the shoot-out?

What happens then? Presumably an outfield player takes over? Teams might run out of goalies before they reach the final!
  • Options
    No var being used for goalies in the premier league next season.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Will goalies be sent off in the world cup penalty shoot-outs if they encroach twice during the shoot-out?

What happens then? Presumably an outfield player takes over? Teams might run out of goalies before they reach the final!
    I suppose they could be

There was that Republic of Ireland lad in an U17 Tournament that got sent off in a shootout against the Dutch last summer

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/15/republic-of-ireland-u17s-furious-after-keeper-sent-off-during-penalty-shootout

Then again he'd already received a first yellow card during normal time but guess nothing would stop a Referee from booking a Goalkeeper if they did it more than twice during the five penalties
  • Options
    The article seems to imply that a ref MUST book a player who leaves his line when a penalty is taken. 

With VAR in operation, and a slightly desperate keeper in a shoot-out, it seems quite likely that a goalie will encroach more than once over five or more penalties.

Of course, I wonder how long the shoot-outs might last since it is now much more difficult to legally save a penalty!

I suspect the rules will be changed mid tournament which will be even more unfair on Scotland!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Watching the A-League opener between Adelaide and Sydney.
    VAR has been in play THREE times in this game (and we're only 60 mins into it).
    First time: Handball by Adelaide and after more than a minute of play, whistle is blown. Ref blows whistle. Checks TV. Penalty. 1-0 Sydney.
    Second time: Adelaide scores - player celebrates. Then ref signals offside, only for being told by VAR to check it again. Checks TV. Changes his mind. Goal.
    Third time: Sydney scores. They celebrate. More than 60 secs later, when game about to start again - ref being told to check the TV screen. Goal disallowed. The player was apparently a millimeter offside.
    Excuse my French, but f@ck this shit!
    Completely ruins the game. Mind boggling that people still are defending this.
    I don't care if it reduces the mistakes made by the ref.
    Imagine Bauer’s goal at Wembley being cancelled out a minute after us celebrating like mad.
    Do you really want to trade this in for things to be ‘as close to being correct as possible’?
    It's not football anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Confusion at Spurs. Ref said goal, scoreboard said no goal. At least, I think that's what happened. I've never heard such a confusing radio report.
  • Options
    VAR car crash again today by all accounts. Disallowing Burnley’s equaliser at Leicester, closely followed by Spurs equaliser being given despite Alli’s handball in the build up.

Seems my hope of VAR levelling things against the Big Boys has been misplaced as the decisions still going the way of the bigger sides, even in the face of evidence to the contrary.
  • Options

Two wrong VAR decisions in the Spurs game, both in Spurs favour.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Two wrong VAR decisions in the Spurs game, both in Spurs favour.

I've never seen more of an obvious penalty in my life. If the ref wasn't looking at it...then where was he and what was he doing?

If he was 100% certain that it wasn't a penalty...so he didn't feel the need to enquire with the video assistant ref, then he shouldn't be doing this job.

VAR is farcical and very disorganised.

I think it also encourages diffusion of responsibility. No one knows exactly who to blame for decisions going tits up.

I think it's making people lose motivation too.
    Deli Ali, whether you like him or not, shouldn't have been waiting around for a constant A GOAL/NO GOAL reverse and unsureness.
    By the time they've figured it out, the excitement and adrenaline has left.

It's also a case that they still want the on pitch referee to be the big cheese...even if he isn't good enough at his job.

It's like they still want bad press and to be noticed.

English football relies on it, unfortunately.

Pathetic really.
  • Options
    VAR is working well on off sides but it's embarrassing when a stone wall penalty is missed  by the ref and the Video ref because he had gone for a piss.

Why in the Premier don't the refs go over to the screen their selves ? They do in the Bundesliga.  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Saw in the Villa Brighton game a goal was disallowed for a nudge on the keeper. Probably the correct decision but no more a clear and obvious error than any others that VAR don't overrule.

Edit - watching MOTD now and a similar thing in the Burnley game. Very surprised that one was disallowed. 
  • Options
    Surprised VAR didnt rule in favour of Liverpool then!!
  • Options
    How on earth has that given the United goal! 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    If that had been given , ‘on the pitch’ referees may as well pack up and go home.

it happened 5 yards in front of the ref!

The games dead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, has anyone changed their minds on VAR these past few weeks?
  • Options
    Even with replays refs are still getting it wrong. Yes Origi made a meal of it but it's still a foul
  • Options
    The irony of Carragher blaming poor refereeing.

yes Jamie.Refereeing has turned to shit because of this shitty system
  • Options
    Right decision to let the goal stand there. Origi went down far too easy.
    Same for me.

Minimal contact yet literally threw himself on the floor. 
  • Options
    I know I want Liverpool want to win the title, but how the fuck is that NOT a free kick. Surely Martin Atkinson can see that. What is the point of VAR if the people use it don't overturn poor ref decisions? It's a foul end of. Goal should NOT have stood.
  • Options
    Ooo now will the Mane goal be given?
  • Options
    Hahaha!!!... Goal disallowed!!
  • Options
    If that is handball, why is there not a free kick on against the Man Utd player for pushing him? 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I know I want Liverpool want to win the title, but how the fuck is that NOT a free kick. Surely Martin Atkinson can see that. What is the point of VAR if the people use it don't overturn poor ref decisions? It's a foul end of. Goal should NOT have stood.
    The very fact that people on this thread with no affiliation to Utd or Liverpool can't even agree on what was the right decision suggests there was plenty of doubt, so for me that means the ref should get the final decision. He gave the goal, end of story.
  • Options
    Right decision to let the goal stand there. Origi went down far too easy.
    Agree with this. Man u goal was good.
    Scouser goal was handball so 1 -0 is fair