Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Off_it said:
    How bizarre. 

So what wouldve happened if it was the opposing teams sub that touched the ball? Or a ballboy? Or a fan running onto the pitch?
    According to the laws above

1. Attacking team sub = direct free kick to defending team

2. Ballboy = drop ball

3. Fan running onto pitch = drop ball

Curiously VAR probably only looked at it because it was a “potential penalty” incident. Doubt they could’ve looked at it to just award a free kick.
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing that up Callum, good stuff.

Interestingly though, the rules talk about "entering the field of play" and I don't think the substitute actually did that as he was stood behind the line at all times. However, he stopped the ball leaving the field of play, so "morally" - if there is such a thing - it was probably the right outcome rules-wise, even though technically not in breach of that specific rule.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Interestingly though, the rules talk about "entering the field of play" and I don't think the substitute actually did that as he was stood behind the line at all times. However, he stopped the ball leaving the field of play, so "morally" - if there is such a thing - it was probably the right outcome rules-wise, even though technically not in breach of that specific rule.

I doubt entering the field of play literally means walking onto the pitch. Any part of your body crossing over the line is deemed as entering the field of play. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:

I doubt entering the field of play literally means walking onto the pitch. Any part of your body crossing over the line is deemed as entering the field of play. 

I know. But what if he didn't cross the line onto the pitch, but equally the ball never completely crossed the line to leave it?

The thing about written rules is that you have to go by what they say, not what you think they mean because then it's open to different interpretations.

A bit like when we tried to argue that Osei Sankofa hadn't denied Arsenal a goal-scoring opportunity back in the day because they still had a shot. Mind you, the FA told us to "fuck off" and doubled the ban in that case!
  • Options
    They’ve got VAR in bundesliga 2 if I heard the commentary right .
    surely we should have it in the Championship then !! 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:

I know. But what if he didn't cross the line onto the pitch, but equally the ball never completely crossed the line to leave it?

The thing about written rules is that you have to go by what they say, not what you think they mean because then it's open to different interpretations.

A bit like when we tried to argue that Osei Sankofa hadn't denied Arsenal a goal-scoring opportunity back in the day because they still had a shot. Mind you, the FA told us to "fuck off" and doubled the ban in that case!

Then he's still entering the field of play as the ball is still in play. The law mentions nothing about actual physical encroachment.
    I remember over the years it being used a few times for things like a throw in being interfered with by players/officials of the pitch. So it's clearly been accepted for a long time that physically being over the line is not part of the law. Which makes complete sense.
  • Options
    Was in Bundesliga 1 last season and introduced into Bundesliga 2 this season. I imagine VAR is only a season or two away from the Championship since it just came in for the Premier League.
  • Options
    Remember a comic, Hotspur? addressing hypothetical situations like a dog running onto the pitch and scorng/preventing a goal. Looked forward to them

• Options
    VAR wonderful this weekend as well
    1. Da Silva goal - VARsaid he didn't touch the ball, otherwise offside, but awarded the goal
    2. The Brighton penalty
    3. the first ManU penalty. 

On the basis of the last 2 our soft one yesterday was definitely a penalty and would have been confirmed by VAR. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    After today's games I think they should either forget VAR or sit down during the International break & review what they want to happen as the situation is now becoming a farce.

Decent, non controversial goals are being disallowed because a bloke in a truck miles away from the action thinks he has seen something that the ref on the pitch (and no more than 5 yards away from the incident) has missed. The "reviewer" should be just that. To review what has happened & to alert the on pitch referee when there may have been a mistake or an incident not seen by him. Its then up to him to make the final decision....by reviewing it on the monitor.

There was no issue with Arsenals 3rd goal & if anything Calum Chambers was fouled instead.

I dont think either of Man U's pens should have been given......the 2nd one the player had turned his back on the ball so couldn't see where is was & may have been out of the area when it struck him. 

Unless & until they get the ref on the pitch to go over to the monitor then the system is flawed. Also the fans should see on the screens in the stadium what is being looked at like the do in both rugby & cricket. 
  • Options
    Man Utd's first pen the goalie was well off his line and narrowed the angle immensely. Why did VAR not review this?
  • Options
    They’re getting it right in Europe. It’s settled down from last season and this season you rarely hear of complaints.

The Premier League decided to wait a full season, let everyone else figure out what works best and then totally disregarded all of it. 

It’s clearly not working in it’s current guise but we are stuck with it for the season because they can’t change the rules halfway through.

They should take a long look at the numerous European leagues that are now using it to much success instead of trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
  • Options
    I have said it before and will say it again VAR will improve if retired refs are in the office.

Firstly they are sat staring at a screen so no need to be fit.

Secondly and the main reason is this, VAar dont want to overule a decision incase the refs get them back IMO, for instance say Mike Dean is in VAR and Martin Atkinson is on the pitch, Martin Atkinson might not award a pen and it goes to VAR, Mike Dean is sat there thinking its a penalty but if I overule Martin then he looks stupid for not seeing it and next week when I am ref and he is VAR, he may do the same to me and make me look stupid, so I will just leave it as it is.

And that to me is why VAR doesnt work
  • Options
    They’re getting it right in Europe. It’s settled down from last season and this season you rarely hear of complaints.

The Premier League decided to wait a full season, let everyone else figure out what works best and then totally disregarded all of it. 

It’s clearly not working in it’s current guise but we are stuck with it for the season because they can’t change the rules halfway through.

They should take a long look at the numerous European leagues that are now using it to much success instead of trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
    Then again the standard of officiating has always been better abroad, when you watch champions league, Europa league the officials are much better
  • Options
    I have said it before and will say it again VAR will improve if retired refs are in the office.

Firstly they are sat staring at a screen so no need to be fit.

Secondly and the main reason is this, VAar dont want to overule a decision incase the refs get them back IMO, for instance say Mike Dean is in VAR and Martin Atkinson is on the pitch, Martin Atkinson might not award a pen and it goes to VAR, Mike Dean is sat there thinking its a penalty but if I overule Martin then he looks stupid for not seeing it and next week when I am ref and he is VAR, he may do the same to me and make me look stupid, so I will just leave it as it is.

And that to me is why VAR doesnt work
    Thats where VAR isn't being implemented correctly, they should only step in where a clear and obvious mistake has been made, anything contentious or subjective should be left to the ref, borderline offsides shouldn't be given either, unless the forward is clearly yards off and he didn't notice, whats the point of having linesmen?
  • Options
    Was in Bundesliga 1 last season and introduced into Bundesliga 2 this season. I imagine VAR is only a season or two away from the Championship since it just came in for the Premier League.
    Surely goal line technology should come first?
  • Options
    The main problem is that the definition of clear and obvious is not clear or obvious
  • Options
    I was at the Emirates for the Arsenal game yesterday... how that 3rd goal for Arsenal was not given I don’t know, didn’t see a foul committed by Chambers And if anything, he was fouled?

in its current state, VAR is too inconsistent and is making too many mistskes.. wouldn’t mind seeing the back of it to be honest.... I was quite happy with just having goal line technology. 

• Options
    Hard to see them getting rid of it now
    its been introduced.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:
    I thought we had Goal Line Technology in the Championship?
  • Options
    Ross said:

Nope.
  • Options
    VAR will always be terrible, the majority of football is down to opinion so people are always going to disagree. Even the decisions that are ultimately correct annoy me - The Ajax disallowed goal against Chelsea in the week for example, his big toe was offside and its ruled out. Letter of the law that is right but its ridiculous!
  • Options
    We do have VAR in the Championship. Myself and a mate always get to the Fans Bar around 1ish and we always see men in suits checking to see if it is working in both goals.  There are normally about 4/5 of them checking. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    We do have VAR in the Championship. Myself and a mate always get to the Fans Bar around 1ish and we always see men in suits checking to see if it is working in both goals.  There are normally about 4/5 of them checking. 
    I think they are just trying to find Quest on the TV menu.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    That's goal line tech, not VAR.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Nope.

I stand corrected. It's League One which haven't got it.
  • Options
    The unwillingness to use the screen is a massive problem with the way the Premier League have implemented this. The Penalty at Brighton needed the ref to go and look at it again, rather than take the word of those at Stockley Park. 

VAR works fine in the Champions League, at the World Cup, Bundersliga, Serie A and MLS. The Premier League and PGMOL way of doing this, which was in a big way to placate some tabloid hacks and blowhards on phone ins has made a decent idea go bad. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The unwillingness to use the screen is a massive problem with the way the Premier League have implemented this. The Penalty at Brighton needed the ref to go and look at it again, rather than take the word of those at Stockley Park. 

VAR works fine in the Champions League, at the World Cup, Bundersliga, Serie A and MLS. The Premier League and PGMOL way of doing this, which was in a big way to placate some tabloid hacks and blowhards on phone ins has made a decent idea go bad. 
    It worked during the world cup, for the most part, the final was a bit of a joke though.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    That's goal line tech, not VAR.
    Sorry. I meant Goal line Technology.