Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    The de bruyne one at the weekend was bizarre. KDB slings the ball in, a great cross btw, everyone appears to miss it and it goes straight in the corner. Didnt see an issue at first, just who's gonna claim it as silva runs off claiming a touch. Slowed down though, and silva and sterling are offside when it leaves KDBs boot. The analysis on MOTD claimed that as neither touched it  although silva seems pretty sure he did, that it should stand. Hang on though, silva waves a leg at it from 6yrds out and sterling leaps in front of the ball part in effort to avoid it i guess from about 4yds out!. No touch is the video call, and the goal stands, but how can both players not be interfering with the keepers view?! Unique.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    The de bruyne one at the weekend was bizarre. KDB slings the ball in, a great cross btw, everyone appears to miss it and it goes straight in the corner. Didnt see an issue at first, just who's gonna claim it as silva runs off claiming a touch. Slowed down though, and silva and sterling are offside when it leaves KDBs boot. The analysis on MOTD claimed that as neither touched it  although silva seems pretty sure he did, that it should stand. Hang on though, silva waves a leg at it from 6yrds out and sterling leaps in front of the ball part in effort to avoid it i guess from about 4yds out!. No touch is the video call, and the goal stands, but how can both players not be interfering with the keepers view?! Unique.
    The worst thing about that is the goal has now been given to Silva, so it did touch him when he was offside
  • Options
    They did a poll on sky sports yesterday. 79% of fans want shot of it. The fact it is still being debated here says it all.... You cannot have a system that gets it right every time when someone's opinion is involved.... The weekends debacles should tell you that. 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    The worst thing about that is the goal has now been given to Silva, so it did touch him when he was offside
    Sweet jesus, that makes it even more ridiculous haha!
  • Options
    They did a poll on sky sports yesterday. 79% of fans want shot of it. The fact it is still being debated here says it all.... You cannot have a system that gets it right every time when someone's opinion is involved.... The weekends debacles should tell you that. 

One of my biggest gripes about this is that the VAR is reviewed by somebody in an off-site venue. Why can't the ref just go and have a look at the screen like they do in other leagues, and the champions league?

Too many opinions, further outlined by the lack of consistency....

• Options
    Said it before and i won't change my opinion. VAR isn't the problem, it's how it's implemented. This is what we're told about VAR -

For a decision made on the pitch to be overturned, it must be a "clear error. If the VAR judges that there is the potential for a clear error to have been made, he or she can notify the referee."

But this isn't happening. We're ruling out goals because a striker has his big toe offside. We're ruling out goals where you have to draw a line across the screen to try and see if a striker has an ear lobe offside. It's crazy.

For me, the final decision should be with the ref unless it's a glaring error (like the lino flagging for offside for Aubameyang's goal at Man U), then in which case VAR says to the ref 'this is a clear error' please review it. Situations like having to watch 15 replays for the Spurs 'goal' at Leicester are not "clear and obvious' so in those cases, VAR should just leave it and say the refs initial decision is final.
    Not asking you to change your opinion Chris, but I disagree totally for the reason I have given many times. Football is an entertainment, the climax of which is your team scoring a goal. Anything that takes away from that moment of unbridled joy spoils the entertainment. 

"Clear error" is still down to the opinion of someone other than the referee. It is still objective. So it should be left to the referee. 
  • Options
    Cross comes in, Firmino taps it home, then it gets ruled out by VAR.

Clear offside i hear you say? Nope. They had to zoom in and draw lines across the pitch to try and assess whether he had part of his body 1cm offside. 

Absolutely ridiculous and i don't even particularly like Liverpool.
  • Options
    Firmino wasnt offside. Maybe the refs are using it in such a shit way so that ultimately it gets binned from the PL? It's the only reason I can see for some of these shoddy decisions 
  • Options
    Frightening that people put so much faith on ridiculous computer simulations.

SatNav told me to drive up the railway line so I did!

The App told me to send money to Nigeria so I did!

Alexa- was it offside?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm the VAR man!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Alexa- was it offside?

What computer simulations?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Clear offside i hear you say? Nope. They had to zoom in and draw lines across the pitch to try and assess whether he had part of his body 1cm offside. 

Had he scored with his armpit, it would have been not given, as it would have been deemed handball.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Alexa- was it offside?

It's photons of light from various sources being interpreted by a computer and recreated as pixels on a screen.

I just do not believe it matches reality to "armpit" accuracy. 

Physics wouldn't accept the offside law as a valid concept in the first place. Relativity says there is no such thing as a common "moment in time" and quantum mechanics only allows for someone probably being offside.

Let's just get back to the old "benefit of the doubt" rule. A player is only offside if it is obvious that he is offside. 

If you need a replay to check if someone is offside then he isn't offside - by definition.
  • Options

Had he scored with his armpit, it would have been not given, as it would have been deemed handball.
    It seems to me to be so arbitrary where they draw these lines. And also when they freeze the camera when the ball is kicked.

But on this occasion it was Liverpool that lost out, so fuck em!
  • Options
    I bet athletes are pleased they don't use VAR for ruling dead heat races......the horizontal lines should be touching the player, then you'll be able to see who's closest to the goal.

VAR was brought in to overturn "clear & obvious" errors. As said above, when you need to start drawing horizontal & vertical lines on a still frame then the "error" by the linesman isn't "clear & obvious".

Ridiculous. 90% of the VAR decisions have been spilling hairs. 

• Options
    Off_it said:

Alexa- was it offside?

It's photons of light from various sources being interpreted by a computer and recreated as pixels on a screen.

Physics wouldn't accept the offside law as a valid concept in the first place. Relativity says there is no such thing as a common "moment in time" and quantum mechanics only allows for someone probably being offside.

Let's just get back to the old "benefit of the doubt" rule. A player is only offside if it is obvious that he is offside. 

If you need a replay to check if someone is offside then he isn't offside - by definition.

That kind of time split relativity probably doesn't make much of a difference, when two people are on the same football pitch.

Visible light is pretty instant...based on where we are.....Earth.

Photographic evidence is reliable enough in this case.

I just think the officials need to be clearer and more organised about stuff 
  • Options
    Have none of you read that tweet from the Premier League? The flag went up, the linesman ruled it offside. VAR showed the my the smallest of margins the lino was correct. This isn't VAR overruling anything, it's the exact opposite of what you're all arguing against.

Personally I think the offside rule as it stands is terrible and VAR is just showing this over and over again. Add to that the the moment the ball is played is highly debatable it really shouldn't be a single thin line, but more a band a few inches wide covering the frame the players ball came into contact with the ball to the frame contact has clearly ended, only if the attacking player is that bandwidth ahead could we definitely say they were offside when the ball was played.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    What makes me laugh is people thinking it’s just some bloke pausing the tele when they think they’ve kicked the ball and then drawing some lines on it. You don’t think they have the most accurate and pinpoint freeze frame tech to get it exactly right?
  • Options
    Read this thread, listened to radio debates, watched tv pundits argue over it. 
    Strikes me this classic case of people who got personally invested in supporting a position and have personality type that cannot back down and admit they were wrong therefore  argue the minutiae on every occasion. 
    VAR is shite- needs scrapping.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Off_it said:

Alexa- was it offside?

Photographic evidence is reliable enough in this case.

I don’t agree. The games are being shot at 24fps which is a stupidly low speed when it could be four times that. It’s not even close to what they need it to be to make the call about when the ball is struck. 

Further, to define this by millimetres, the resolution is also too low. The idea that sub-4K images at 24fps is a requisite substitute for real life is crazy. 

Besides, this is all missing the point. Offside laws were designed to stop goal-hanging, not stop goals from being given because of an armpit. Which you can’t score with anyway - not because it’s handball, but because it’s an armpit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have none of you read that tweet from the Premier League? The flag went up, the linesman ruled it offside. VAR showed the my the smallest of margins the lino was correct. This isn't VAR overruling anything, it's the exact opposite of what you're all arguing against.

Personally I think the offside rule as it stands is terrible and VAR is just showing this over and over again. Add to that the the moment the ball is played is highly debatable it really shouldn't be a single thin line, but more a band a few inches wide covering the frame the players ball came into contact with the ball to the frame contact has clearly ended, only if the attacking player is that bandwidth ahead could we definitely say they were offside when the ball was played.
    I thought it had to be a goalscoring part of your body (I.e anything but your arm) that had to be ahead of the last defender? 
  • Options
    When VAR got confirmed, I was one of very many saying it will be a waste of time and waste of money and will ruin the 'beautiful game'. The way the season has gone so far, I stand to what I have said.
    The amount of decisions VAR have made have been ridiculous. Will it improve? I don't think so personally.
    I wonder if they would reconsider not having VAR in the future because of what's happening so far and could be a one season only?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I thought it had to be a goalscoring part of your body (I.e anything but your arm) that had to be ahead of the last defender? 
    I think they decided that 50% of the armpit is arm and 50% chest. As long as they drew the line from the ‘half way line’ of the armpit then I think that it was an anatomically correct decision and therefore exactly the level of accuracy that VAR should be looking to achieve.

I fucking hate VAR. 
  • Options
    What makes me laugh is people thinking it’s just some bloke pausing the tele when they think they’ve kicked the ball and then drawing some lines on it. You don’t think they have the most accurate and pinpoint freeze frame tech to get it exactly right?
    So who decides when the ball is kicked and where the lines get drawn if it's not a person then?
  • Options
    VAR doesn't work
  • Options
    Ridiculous that penalities can even be given for accidental handball.
  • Options
    I just give up! 

VAR = silly men earning a lot money to make totally inconsistent decisions.
  • Options
    Should have given Everton a penalty and reversed Son's red 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Just said on Sky that VAR checked the red card and didnt overturn it because of the outcome and extent of the injury.

If that's right it's ridiculous.