Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    Lingard was offside and the correct decision was reached in an important competitive fixture. Sorry, you’ll get used to it eventually like the top leagues in the rest of Europe have over the past two years.
    Why don't we use VAR to check if every foul is correct or not?
  • Options
    Lingard was offside and the correct decision was reached in an important competitive fixture. Sorry, you’ll get used to it eventually like the top leagues in the rest of Europe have over the past two years.
    VAR should be used to correct obvious errors, it was brought in so we wouldn't have the Lampard no goal situation again which makes the sport look stupid.  In this case offside was only a whisker, and anything marginal they should stay out and let the officials officiate.  For offside can't they use radar technology which sends a bleep signal to the lino?  Like goal line technology  Going back and reversing decisions is wrong way IMO
    VAR wasn't brought in because of that as we now have goal line technology for that.

It was brought in mainly for penalty decisions and offsides.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    VAR should be used to correct obvious errors, it was brought in so we wouldn't have the Lampard no goal situation again which makes the sport look stupid.  In this case offside was only a whisker, and anything marginal they should stay out and let the officials officiate.  For offside can't they use radar technology which sends a bleep signal to the lino?  Like goal line technology  Going back and reversing decisions is wrong way IMO
    Have you considered that the lino didn’t put his flag up because VAR is available? Everyone here assumes that the flag would’ve stayed down regardless.

Making a marginal call like that often happened when VAR wasn’t available but a lot of officials across Europe are now allowing play to continue where possible because you can’t go back and allow a goal after it being given offside.
  • Options
    Have you considered that the lino didn’t put his flag up because VAR is available? Everyone here assumes that the flag would’ve stayed down regardless.

Making a marginal call like that often happened when VAR wasn’t available but a lot of officials across Europe are now allowing play to continue where possible because you can’t go back and allow a goal after it being given offside.
    If that was the case the lino should make a clear signal that he is not sure so the ref doesn't give the goal.  I'm sure everyone would agree giving goals then chalking them off 5 minutes later is not the way to go.  Also giving the officials the comfort of not making decisions and allowing VAR to do it is also wrong.  May as well do away with officials alltogether and ref games from a TV screen
  • Options
    Was in favour of this but not so sure now. In the France South Korea game last night, the second French goal was disallowed after an interminable wait for VAR to decide if the scorer was offside. The teams had lined up to kick off after the goal and then the goal was disallowed. The replays showed the player’s foot was marginally offside. Seems to me we would do better to redefine offside so that if any part of the player is level with the opponent they are onside.
  • Options

If that was the case the lino should make a clear signal that he is not sure so the ref doesn't give the goal.  I'm sure everyone would agree giving goals then chalking them off 5 minutes later is not the way to go.  Also giving the officials the comfort of not making decisions and allowing VAR to do it is also wrong.  May as well do away with officials alltogether and ref games from a TV screen
    Linesman have been told not to give marginal offsides and let play carry on. If a goal is then scored VAR will check it.
    Makes sense if you think about it. If a linesman gives offside which stops play and it turns out to be a wrong decision then it's ballsed the whole thing up and potentially stopped a good goal. If play is allowed to carry on and it turns out to be offside, if no goal is scored from it then it doesn't really matter that the offside wasn't given. If a goal is scored from it then that's an important moment which the officials can then get right by checking VAR.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Linesman have been told not to give marginal offsides and let play carry on. If a goal is then scored VAR will check it.
    Makes sense if you think about it. If a linesman gives offside which stops play and it turns out to be a wrong decision then it's ballsed the whole thing up and potentially stopped a good goal. If play is allowed to carry on and it turns out to be offside, if no goal is scored from it then it doesn't really matter that the offside wasn't given. If a goal is scored from it then that's an important moment which the officials can then get right by checking VAR.
    Yes but occasionally the ref looks at VAR decides one way or another to what he thinks is the right/wrong decision, and then at HT/FT the analysts then say that goal should/should not have been given as (the part of the body) was/wasn't offside. Its still a matter of opinion that they get wrong.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

I'm not in favour of it in the current format, like I said it should be obvious not marginal.  What happened to the rule about daylight?  It's totally contrary  to the spirit of football which is a free flowing game, it works in Rugby, tennis and cricket because they are naturally stop start sports.  Let Official decide, if they get small decisions wrong so be it, it's part of the game, if they have made a glaring error go to VAR
  • Options
    Was it an important fixture? I didn’t really care, the Nations League is a far bigger joke than VAR. 
  • Options

I actually gave up waiting for the decision in the France Korea game and switched channels.

How can the rules of any game be so complicated that it requires two or three minutes of standing around while someone works out what the score is? 

Maybe OK in a champions league final but just boring in any other context.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was it an important fixture? I didn’t really care, the Nations League is a far bigger joke than VAR. 
    I prefer it to playing San Marino and meaningless friendlies
  • Options
    Relax everyone, cafcfan1990 say's it's a joke, so we should all just chill.

Thank goodness he's put us right.   
  • Options
    Here we go again. Totally ruins the game.
  • Options
    Yeah VAR's class lads. Great for the game 🙄
  • Options
    Might as well just turn it into an electronic non-contact sport.
  • Options
    Complaining because it goes against England. 

There was a stoppage in the game and was a clear foul, stop moaning. 
  • Options
    I prefer it to playing San Marino and meaningless friendlies
    Yeah fair point. Still wouldn't say it's an important fixture, although there are very few of them in International Football so I guess they are just making an effort to drum up some interest. 
  • Options
    Relax everyone, cafcfan1990 say's it's a joke, so we should all just chill.

Thank goodness he's put us right.   
    Weird post, you should have had an extra hour in bed...
  • Options
    Complaining because it goes against England. 

There was a stoppage in the game and was a clear foul, stop moaning
    Yes sir.

I'll do what I like, thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m wondering how anyone’s going to score from a corner ever again. 
  • Options
    What I don't like is as a fan you don't know if it's safe to celebrate. Imagine Var in the play-off final.

Think back to how mad we all went when Paddy poked home in the 94th minute. You've just won and been promoted to the championship... or have we.

Will have to wait a few minutes before we know it's defo going to be given.
    Lets get rid of offsides because some people celebrate before noticing the flag is up. It's unfair on the fans to have to look at the linesman to check if a goal is given. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:
    It works, it’s here to stay, end off!
    How depressing!

Oh look we scored.
    Hang on, wait for it.
    I'm going for piss while they check.
    Okay I'm back, did we score.
    Yep.
    Oh joy.

Yes if your glass is empty, you exaggerate the time it takes to check, you dont want decisions to be correct and you dont embrace change for the good of the game. Then its depressing, for forward thinking people like myself its a winner. But you crack on staring into the dregs of yer pint.
    What is it with VAR supporters on this thread being such dickheads about it?
    Keep it up lads, the sarcy comments are endearing.
  • Options
    The thread title is a bit over dramatic!
    Is it?
  • Options
    Using VAR I'd question if a foul would have been given against Pearce when he jumped with Oviedo

It's clear that Oviedo made it look theatrical when he falls as he knows he's not getting the ball, if it was in slow motion then a single hand on him from Pearce (regardless if there was a shove or not) would probably see a foul given in his favour
  • Options
    Correct decision reached again.
  • Options
    Using VAR I'd question if a foul would have been given against Pearce when he jumped with Oviedo

It's clear that Oviedo made it look theatrical when he falls as he knows he's not getting the ball, if it was in slow motion then a single hand on him from Pearce (regardless if there was a shove or not) would probably see a foul given in his favour
    I’ve seen plenty of Euro league football this season where VAR has already been implemented and I did think the same to myself. I honestly don’t know which way it would’ve gone under VAR review.
  • Options
    What I don't like is as a fan you don't know if it's safe to celebrate. Imagine Var in the play-off final.

Think back to how mad we all went when Paddy poked home in the 94th minute. You've just won and been promoted to the championship... or have we.

Will have to wait a few minutes before we know it's defo going to be given.
    Lets get rid of offsides because some people celebrate before noticing the flag is up. It's unfair on the fans to have to look at the linesman to check if a goal is given. 

Sorry for stating a fact