Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I heard that they asked Russell Crowe to join as an investor but two of the other investors said they would not go ahead if he was to join, as this was an Aussie takeover and he is a Kiwi after all.

Well, Watford had Reginald Dwight I suppose... didn't do them any harm
  • I heard that they asked Russell Crowe to join as an investor but two of the other investors said they would not go ahead if he was to join, as this was an Aussie takeover and he is a Kiwi after all.

Good thing too... Else everytime he shouts: "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED" he'd get back from the stands: "No, that was bloody awful"
  • I've said it before & I'll say it again..........IF and its a big IF, the Aussies are simply delaying the purchase so that they dont have to pay now & are waiting until December then that is a very high risk strategy. We all know that we are short on players NOW and that by January we could be well off the pace in terms of table position. Surely the quicker you buy the club the quicker you can sort out the problems - get players in before the loan window shuts & give yourself half a chance to be top 6/top 10 by January when you can re-assess and then buy the players you need. As every game passess & we don't win then we are getting worse.

as I said...........its a big IF...........and if true then they are more foolish than I ever thought possible.

If you were serious about buying something and you had the money then you would, wouldn't you?

If you didn't you could be forgiven for thinking that there were on-going concerns, or that the value wasn't good enough, or it was too much of a risk for you, yourself, to bare. In which case you would look to other people to 'share' the risk with you, even if you had the cash to buy it outright.

So, from that we can assume that Muir doesn't want to gamble too much of his money: he doesn't want to be an owner outright. The risk is too high. He's looking for dozens of investors to come in and back him (all have to complete EFL paperwork); for them the risk is arguably higher.

Reading between the lines I really don't think it's got anything to do with transfer windows and where we'll finish next season: it's all about the necessary funding to take us through 2019/20/21... That, clearly, isn't there.

Put another way, I'm sure Muir and those he's already got on board could buy us today. I'm not sure if we'd last until the end of the season though without going into administration.

RD doesn't care. He's named his price. If the buyer's mug enough to pay it he gets his cash back and walks away.

January transfer windows and such like (if we're challenging for a promotion place etc) are completely irrelevant in all of this (except, of course, if the club is relegated to L2).

• JamesSeed said:

It’s never been a), it’s always been b)

and do you realise that, at £4m a pop, that's 25 would-be investors that they've been searching for over a year... at an extremely high risk with absolutely no guarantee whatsoever of ever getting a penny back?

And if we do actually get to the PL when do they get paid out, these myriad investors? You need a very solid Championship winning team + £40m to even have a chance of surviving the first PL season.

The chances of payback are, at the very best, extremely slim.

If paperwork at the EFL really is the problem then no wonder, with so many people concerned.

And if, after all that money gets poured in, and we do a Leeds and stay in the Championship for 20 years?
    Let’s hope they don’t read this ;-)

Tbtw I have no knowledge of the make up of the consortium. I’d be amazed if there were 25 of them.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

and do you realise that, at £4m a pop, that's 25 would-be investors that they've been searching for over a year... at an extremely high risk with absolutely no guarantee whatsoever of ever getting a penny back?

And if we do actually get to the PL when do they get paid out, these myriad investors? You need a very solid Championship winning team + £40m to even have a chance of surviving the first PL season.

If paperwork at the EFL really is the problem then no wonder, with so many people concerned.

And if, after all that money gets poured in, and we do a Leeds and stay in the Championship for 20 years?

Tbtw I have no knowledge of the make up of the consortium. I’d be amazed if there were 25 of them.
    Surely that's the problem? And, yes, I know, how many times have you asked me not to call you shirley?!
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Seriously though James (and excuse me, I've read the 8 billion pages of this thread and so far not commented - unless it was at the very beginning) but you must have an idea of the mindset of your contact.

To me, it seems that they have no grasp of the enormity of running an English football club. Muir is proven, as a businessman and philanthropist, but in Australia. It's a small country (sic).

I cannot seriously believe that he, nor his partners, would be willing to invest so much money into Charlton on a whim and a prayer... they could probably buy Chesterfield or Newport (to name two clubs off-hand) for two quid and with the £39.999.98 saved get them into to the PL.

Why start a venture in English football with a huge weight around your neck and £40m of debt to pay back before you've even started?

I just don't buy the package I'm afraid... I'm not really sure you do anymore either. The finances just don't make sense, unless it involves the unlikely sale of the Valley/SL in the general plan - and that's a topic we've been round in circles on enough already.
  • JamesSeed said:

I think all prospective buys have said, or are saying, it’s not worth the money.

JamesSeed said:

I think all prospective buys have said, or are saying, it’s not worth the money.

JamesSeed said:

think or you know for sure?
  • who was Ferraguzi? An Italian left back I've forgotten about?
  • who was Ferraguzi? An Italian left back I've forgotten about?

Wondered that myself, not a name I had heard before

• Wasnt it the network scout?
  • Sponsored links:

• @Mark_West49 I agree with your general proposition. £40m is a ridiculous price. Utterly without any normal business rationale.

Bu I disagree that you should assume they need £10m per annum to keep it afloat. That figure is based on readings of Charlton's current accounts. That means it is based on RD's towering incompetence. I am sure the Aussies think that this is where their business expertise and understanding of sport would help them do better. One relevant "empirical fact" (which I got directly from their CEO, rather than a minor newspaper article) is that AFC Wimbledon run on £4m per annum. They know that it is the 4th lowest figure in the league, and I don't suggest that Charlton can run on that. But it doesn't have to be £10m either.
  • edited August 2018

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Seriously though James (and excuse me, I've read the 8 billion pages of this thread and so far not commented - unless it was at the very beginning) but you must have an idea of the mindset of your contact.

To me, it seems that they have no grasp of the enormity of running an English football club. Muir is proven, as a businessman and philanthropist, but in Australia. It's a small country (sic).

I cannot seriously believe that he, nor his partners, would be willing to invest so much money into Charlton on a whim and a prayer... they could probably buy Chesterfield or Newport (to name two clubs off-hand) for two quid and with the £39.999.98 saved get them into to the PL.

Why start a venture in English football with a huge weight around your neck and £40m of debt to pay back before you've even started?

I just don't buy the package I'm afraid... I'm not really sure you do anymore either. The finances just don't make sense, unless it involves the unlikely sale of the Valley/SL in the general plan - and that's a topic we've been round in circles on enough already.
    No sale of Valley.
    The rest of what you say makes sense. But they must have started with a figure in mind for their 5 year plan. Let’s say £120m. £40m for purchase. £80m to run it for 5 years, with investment.
    Perhaps a couple dropped after it became clear that the price was hugely inflated. New investors and other potential buyers all agreed, hence Roland’s desperate efforts to make the club more lean.
    Unfortunately, due to the Aussies info blackout, I ‘ain’t got a clue’ (in the words of Stuart Pearce’s favourite band).
  • cafc83 said:

who was Ferraguzi? An Italian left back I've forgotten about?

A network scout.
  • Rob62 said:

cafc83 said:

who was Ferraguzi? An Italian left back I've forgotten about?

A network scout.
    Have a listen to the brilliant "Getting to know the network" podcast Jimmy Stone created.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

No sale of Valley.
    The rest of what you say makes sense. But they must have started with a figure in mind for their 5 year plan. Let’s say £120m. £40m for purchase. £80m to run it for 5 years, with investment.
    Perhaps a couple dropped after it became clear that the price was hugely inflated. New investors and other potential buyers all agreed, hence Roland’s desperate efforts to make the club more lean.
    Unfortunately, due to the Aussies info blackout, I ‘ain’t got a clue’ (in the words of Stuart Pearce’s favourite band).
    Fair enough, thanks for the answers/info... I think we're basically on the same page as far as the numbers are concerned. It does surprise me, though, why Muir, if he were that interested (as the principal instigator in all this) couldn't just make up the shortfall in the interim; i.e. lump up 30/40/50% or whatever it is, buy the club, run it as he and the others want... get the wheels turning if you like... and then seek further backing later down the line.

It all smacks of the cricket WC in the Windies about 12 years ago... far too many committees, too many interested islands/parties (+ the ICC)... in the end it proved a disaster.

I just wonder if it's a case with the Aussies that, let's say you and I (a & b) agree on something, then it has to go to c, d, e and f etc. to sign off. Unfortunately c adds something, so does e and f, and all that takes a month to come back to us; then we decide if we agree or not, then we re-submit it to everyone and so on and so on (if you get my drift).

The consortium theory doesn't sounds too efficient IMHO.
  • edited August 2018

Mr Seed sorry chief but you sure there is actually a person on the phone when you call Australia?

What the fuck was the two tough weeks but it will be worth it about ?

The club we followed for decades is fucking dying and we have to see a COO who is an utter price of shit doing hs best to follow the owners bidding to drive us into oblivion and our only hope is a guy who may be on the end of a phone leaving cryptic messages that look daily like just another load of bollox.

If they don't or someone come in soon CAFC won't exist

Dear Goonerhater,

I share your pain.

To allow my Aussie friend a fair suck at the pineapple, I think he said 'a couple of difficult weeks ahead', which technically means two weeks, but often 'a couple' means a tad more.

I doubt he meant two months though, which is beginning to look more realistic.

I'll definitely hold him to the 'it'll hopefully all be worthwhile' bit though.

Am I right in sensing that we are on the verge of a collective mental breakdown @AFKABartram ? Certainly feels that way.
  • Sponsored links:

• I take it then that nothing will happen until the Shitweasel has an epiphany resulting in his re-engaging with reality and dropping the ridiculous asking price for what is now a husk of a once prestigious club that is currently losing money hand over fist due to his disastrous stewardship.

Shan't be holding my breath, in that case.....
  • If the Auss

@Mark_West49 I agree with your general proposition. £40m is a ridiculous price. Utterly without any normal business rationale.

Bu I disagree that you should assume they need £10m per annum to keep it afloat. That figure is based on readings of Charlton's current accounts. That means it is based on RD's towering incompetence. I am sure the Aussies think that this is where their business expertise and understanding of sport would help them do better. One relevant "empirical fact" (which I got directly from their CEO, rather than a minor newspaper article) is that AFC Wimbledon run on £4m per annum. They know that it is the 4th lowest figure in the league, and I don't suggest that Charlton can run on that. But it doesn't have to be £10m either.

In the assumption we get back to the Championship we would be competing against clubs with massive budgets. And making massive losses, the finances in that division are horrendous.
  • Clubs at a real crossroads. What happens over the next couple of months could define its whole future. I think CAFC can bounce back from most outcomes except apathy. I fear much more of Duchatelet and the club once a major name in English football might fade away.

I genuinely don't believe we'll see more than about 1,000 regular boycotters returning when this is all over. Everyone will come back for the first game but then return to doing whatever the apathy drove them away to on Saturdays. Not even sure Premier League football will get them back either.

I think only a takeover which rains cash has any hope of repairing the damage RD has done to the club.

• This £40m figure - it's been around so long it seems to be taken as fact - where does it come from?
  • I’m just hoping, praying, that this latest negative press is the one that tips him over the edge and gets any deal done

It can only be him being vindictive now

I’m on holiday on Saturday but I hope thousands protest before the game and then go in the ground and cheer the lads to victory and it gets the publicity it deserves
  • Hopefully with the press coverage recently some knights in shining armour can turn up and make a few statements in the press and state their interest in buying - put some pressure on and maybe then the likes of the EFL or MP's can get more involved in making it happen - if there are buyers out there who are being ' blocked' why not make themselves known??
  • DOUCHER said:

This £40m figure - it's been around so long it seems to be taken as fact - where does it come from?

Good question. GM never mentioned a figure to me.
  • DOUCHER said:

This £40m figure - it's been around so long it seems to be taken as fact - where does it come from?

It’s £35m now if you believe this:
    Solidgone said:

Page 67 ES

• DOUCHER said:

I mentioned £40M simply because it seems to be the ball park figure being bandied around - it could obviously be more (unlikely) or less
  • Wat we know is that RD DOES want to sell (for a price he likes

Mr Seed sorry chief but you sure there is actually a person on the phone when you call Australia?

What the fuck was the two tough weeks but it will be worth it about ?

The club we followed for decades is fucking dying and we have to see a COO who is an utter price of shit doing hs best to follow the owners bidding to drive us into oblivion and our only hope is a guy who may be on the end of a phone leaving cryptic messages that look daily like just another load of bollox.

If they don't or someone come in soon CAFC won't exist

Spot on, load of bull. In some ways social media can help a club but this thread, for example, has created such stress on fans who follow the club extremely closely, that I believe no social media would have been better all along.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!