Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

If you notice this notice you'll notice it's not worth noticing.
  • Ferryman said:

If you notice this notice you'll notice it's not worth noticing.
    Noted.
  • edited November 2018
    razil said:

having a billionaire owner hasn't helped us so far, I want an owner who knows the business and has enough money to help but not so much that money isn't an object, who respects our history and wants to work with the fans.

Imo the biggest problem, at the moment, is the total break down in relationship between the owner and the fans, it could have been so, so different. It is now completely beyond repair.

If he gave the club away tomorrow the new owner would have to cover the trading loss until the end of the season, about £6 million. That's a lot of money to throw away. If a new owner didn't invest in January, or even sold players to reduce that cost, I can't imagine many people would be happy.

If we end up with owner who can't or won't significantly subsidies the club we will end up like Scunthorpe or Doncaster , mainly league 1 football with the occasional adventure into the championship or even league 2. How many league 1 stalwarts have a cat 2 academy and an u23 team? In fact how many own their own training ground?

The club is to big to break even in league 1, the "off the pitch" running costs are far to high. I am sure lots of people would be happy to be run like Accrington Stanley or Fleetwood, having beers with the owner after the game, but you would have to accept its league 1 football and the all that comes with it. Those that still go may enjoy it but there will thousands who never return.

Football has been ruined by the influx of TV, and owners, money. What was true in the 90s is no longer true now. You will continue to have the occasional "perfect storm", Huddersfield are having theirs now, we had ours in the late 90s. I can't last for ever and when it goes wrong, it goes wrong fast.

Unfortunately we need a considerably wealthy owner who is prepared to splash a lot of cash. Else it's perpetual decline, with out external funding we could still go down this season.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Could it have been avoided with this owner? Not sure I agree, and we were able to look at his track record, which wasn't great was it.

Also the club could perhaps break even with an enlightened owner and fan collaboration filling the ground.

I do agree a new owner isn't necessarily going to be better than the current one, not going to stop me wishing for a decent owner..
  • redhenry mentioned pages ago or I took it to read as they are back the saudis

I don’t know if they are but if he believes it then it’s good enough for me

But fuck the Aussie bid ain’t worth a wank of anyone’s time

Wait, do people measure their time in wanks? Where did I get seconds and minutes from?
    This is getting out of hand now
  • razil said:

having a billionaire owner hasn't helped us so far, I want an owner who knows the business and has enough money to help but not so much that money isn't an object, who respects our history and wants to work with the fans.

Don't we all - if you find one please tell Roland.

• razil said:

Could it have been avoided with this owner? Not sure I agree, and we were able to look at his track record, which wasn't great was it.

He could have avoided it if he wanted to, up until the appointment of Fraye he could have done.

Also the club could perhaps break even with an enlightened owner and fan collaboration filling the ground.

We couldn't fill the ground every week in the premier league. Target 10 thousand took years, in the championship. Every year we stagnant the harder it will get.

I do agree a new owner isn't necessarily going to be better than the current one, not going to stop me wishing for a decent owner..

Unfortunately I find it very unlikely that we will found an owner that is both wealthy enough and decent enough to please everyone.

• Sponsored links:

• FAVADDICK said:

Come on shootershill enlighten us please??

Ok. Don’t shoot the messenger.

I was unable to log on here earlier and payed a visit to another forum. Being said there that the Mysterious 5th interested party have made their move. If I’m reading it correctly it kind of hints at Arabs and Qatar in particular. Racing connection.

No idea if this is bollocks or not.

But it's pigeon racing !
  • We’d be a lot closer with a fuller ground. Aren’t current losses £6m per year?

• I could bring my rattle.
  • razil said:

@Cafc43v3r we 'filled' the ground in the Premier League the only limit as I recall was the way the Away section was configured, so not relevant

OK it was not relevant as you are not selling Rooney, Ronaldo and Henry. In their place you are selling Scunthorpe, Burton and Fleetwood.

If for a play of semi last year we have 14k max fans, where are you going to find the other 10k fans to "fill the ground"?
  • Let’s not take the mick out of the financial calculations of @razil
    After all it’s nearly Christmas, when he’ll be having a tantrum if nobody pays him to attend their ruddy Christmas lunch...
  • razil said:

We’d be a lot closer with a fuller ground. Aren’t current losses £6m per year?

Um no, I think I made this argument about 3/4 months ago and @Airman Brown shot me down, with a brilliant break down of the numbers.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    razil said:

We’d be a lot closer with a fuller ground. Aren’t current losses £6m per year?

No, they are twice that. Of course it would be better to have more revenue but no realistic increase in gates will make a meaningful change.

Obviously Duchatelet’s pitiful management is a factor in that - losses have ballooned on his watch because of silly decisions - but, for example, a 4,000 increase in average attendances at current prices might yield about £1.5m a year at best - probably less.

• edited November 2018
    hmm I must be getting confused then because LdT said monthly losses were £0.5m at I think two recent FFs now, and its not like we've earned £6m in player sales and sell on fees, although we may have reduced the wage bill a fair bit.

Referring to the point above, I would argue with enlightened ownership which could involve a number of measures including fan engagement, possibly part ownership, established some years back we wouldn't have the gates we have today. The evidence for that is the gates last time we were in League 1 under ownership that was far from radical.

I take the point that it isn't a magic wand we can suddenly wave but I do think under a different ownership model we could bring crowds back to the Valley incrementally over time, assuming its not too late.
  • Davo55 said:

razil said:

hmm I must be getting confused then because LdT said monthly losses were £0.5m at I think two recent FFs now, and its not like we've earned £6m in player sales and sell on fees, although we may have reduced the wage bill a fair bit.

Referring to the point above, I would argue with enlightened ownership which could involve a number of measures including fan engagement, possibly part ownership, established some years back we wouldn't have the gates we have today. The evidence for that is the gates last time we were in League 1 which wasn't even that radical.

I take the point that it isn't a magic wand we can suddenly wave but I do think under a different ownership model we could bring crowds back to the Valley incrementally over time, assuming its not too late.

Is anyone seriously still believing a word this bloke says? If so, wake up and smell the coffee guys.
    Mmmmmmmm Coffee smells good but LDT smells better 😸
  • edited November 2018
    I think its a mistake to think the FF believe everything they are told. I've been quite impressed with the general discerning nature of the group, not just the excellent Mr Wallis. I will though seek a clarification on the numbers.

• razil said:

I think its a mistake to think the FF believe everything they are told. I've been quite impressed with the general discerning nature of the group, not just the excellent Mr Wallis. I will though seek a clarification on the numbers.

Then why bother quoting the bloke?

I’d rather let people make up their own minds than tell them what to think.
  • razil said:

razil said:

Then why bother quoting the bloke?

I’d rather let people make up their own minds than tell them what to think.
    I agree...what shall we make up our minds about? :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!