Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    I just have a horrible feeling that none of the potential buyers business plans are adding up, when Roland's asking price is factored in to the equation. It's probably true of the Aussies, and I expect it's true of all the others too.

It's always a gamble, buying a football club, and Roland just has to accept that he lost, and move on. (Alternatives to the phrase 'move on' are available).
    It’s very rarely a gamble when buying a football club. Heads you lose, tails you lose. 
  • @nth london addick seems confident and h like that. He also (reading between the lines) seems to be softening towards the Aussies. Maybe not so doom and gloom if they get in
  • lolwray said:
    Maybe there should be a python appreciation thread

Ilchester eh. Oddly enough I will be dining (mostly drinking) in the Ilchester Arms just outside Bridport on Sunday evening. Wonder if they have any cheese?
  • edited July 2019
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I just have a horrible feeling that none of the potential buyers business plans are adding up, when Roland's asking price is factored in to the equation. It's probably true of the Aussies, and I expect it's true of all the others too.

It's always a gamble, buying a football club, and Roland just has to accept that he lost, and move on. (Alternatives to the phrase 'move on' are available).
    It’s very rarely a gamble when buying a football club. Heads you lose, tails you lose. 
    That seems about right BUT,
    IF you bought a League 1 club for say 10 million, lock stock and barrel and then had two promotions in two seasons and found yourself in the Premier.  Unlikely but possible, you then sold your superstar 21 year old to Real Madrid for 80 million, you received the TV money from BT, Sky, BBC plus global TV money, is that not the only scenario where you could walk away with decent profits if you could get say 70 million for this premier club ?

• JamesSeed said:

Nothing adds up in football. They’re taking a chance on Lee Bowyer having the ability to take us to the promised land within the next few years so that they can get a return on the invest before the next mug takes it on.
  • edited July 2019
    _MrDick said:
    JamesSeed said:

Nothing adds up in football. They’re taking a chance on Lee Bowyer having the ability to take us to the promised land within the next few years so that they can get a return on the invest before the next mug takes it on.
    Bowyer will be spat out as soon as results go against him. Then in comes waltzing Matilda. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Where’s  nla ?
    Here 

all is is good things are still happening in the way they should 

privately and amongst those it should , when it’s like this I don’t know why people worry 

when you get numerous outpourings of information it’s either because one of the parties is trying to manipulate the other or the information is just incorrect and stated to shut people up from constant requests of updates 

think of it as your own business do you conduct these in private or in public 

I am still convinced he will be gone by start of the season the minute I hear otherwise I will say so but right now there are many things with many people doing what they feel is right to close the deal 
    Sounds good but who will our new owners be, in your opinion?
    Did you really just post that????
  • You can make money out of football, and in fact Roland's idea is one way you can do it. 

Apart from the fact the clubs were all in the wrong leagues, he employed unsuitable people to run them, entrusted player recruitment to a kid with no football back ground, totally misunderstood the role of a manager in the English game and the fact he was not prepared to invest the necessary up front costs it was faultless.

I could post about how I would design it to work, and believe it could but I'll let you get back to your fish puns. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ashley will make a killing once he sells Newcastle, so you can make a few bob out of football,  the Geordies detest him but as a businessman he is top notch + he backed Benitez when they were relegated so that a buyer would prefer a Prem club.
  • edited July 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    Roland just has to accept that he lost, and move on. 

No one tells Roland what to do!
    True, and sadly no one can tell him what price to sell the Club for either...
  • Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You can make money out of football, and in fact Roland's idea is one way you can do it. 

Apart from the fact the clubs were all in the wrong leagues, he employed unsuitable people to run them, entrusted player recruitment to a kid with no football back ground, totally misunderstood the role of a manager in the English game and the fact he was not prepared to invest the necessary up front costs it was faultless.

I could post about how I would design it to work, and believe it could but I'll let you get back to your fish puns. 
    Yup, initially hearing about it to me seemed like a good idea - economies of scale and all that. Roland just ran it horrifically badly

Not to mention the quality and standard of the other clubs within his network at the time were not good enough to help us. If it was just Standard Liege and us, it could’ve worked, but when you’re adding in Ujpest, Sint Truiden, Alcorcon, etc.. it just doesn’t work.

It has worked at Watford because Udinese are a bigger club in Italy, Granada also now doing well in Spain, albeit not part of the Pozzo family anymore.

With a sensible owner, allowing competent people to get on to do the job and investing reasonably, it could have worked with us, Liege, and maybe another club of similar stature from Spain or Italy or whichever else, not Hungary or lesser divisions in other countries. 
    For it to work you need the "crown jewell" to be in one of the big 5 leagues.  Standard was part of the problem. Imo of course 
  • It’s happening (behind the scene)!
  • Solidgone said:
    It’s happening (behind the scene)!
    The same scenery that’s been there for years though.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Roland just has to accept that he lost, and move on. 

No one tells Roland what to do!

A lot of people tell him what to do, particularly Blackpool. Trouble is, he doesn't do it.
  • edited July 2019
    Fingers crossed.
    NLA  is normally spot on.
    With the sale of Charlton if you state nothing is going to happen this week  your looked upon as a ITK spot on type of guy, over the last 2 and a half years. 

With NLA who is right at the top of the leader board with Red Henry, this is the first time that I believe he has said things are going on behind the scenes. Sensibly he's not playing his joker but it does seem more of a pro active stance.

May we reach the promised land while our present football management team are in situ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Season kicks off in 23 days. Not looking particularly good for getting rid of the daft old Belgian is it ?
  • Season kicks off in 23 days. Not looking particularly good for getting rid of the daft old Belgian is it ?
    He needs to put us up for sale first.
  • Still
    No
    Yawn
  • it really isn't happening is it...
  • Are we still waiting for that boat load of rubber to come in?
  • No I don’t think Roland wants to sell.I think he still thinks his plan of producing players to sell in our academy will make him money. Especially now we are in the championship again.where you can attract better transfer fees.He will be hoping to cash in on dick steel next.Albie and George look good prospects.and probably waiting on sell on fee hot konsa and if we can survive on smallest budget happy day
    Let us hope he makes a better job of it than with Aribo, Pope, Konsa, who all went for less than they were worth
  • Are we still waiting for that boat load of rubber to come in?
    Similar to Superdrug and Boots, I would imagine.
  • Did I ever mention that you're my favourite Lifer, NLA ? 

• So NLA says that the Aussies are close, but JamesSeed is doubtful that anything at all will happen. As a lover of symmetry, this satisfies me.
    Put it this way, there’s a lot of frustration around at the moment.
    That’s not to say all hope is lost.

• Fingers crossed.
    NLA  is normally spot on.
    With the sale of Charlton if you state nothing is going to happen this week  your looked upon as a ITK spot on type of guy, over the last 2 and a half years. 

With NLA who is right at the top of the leader board with Red Henry, this is the first time that I believe he has said things are going on behind the scenes. Sensibly he's not playing his joker but it does seem more of a pro active stance.

May we reach the promised land while our present football management team are in situ.

NLA is the man, but never underestimate Douchatelet's ability to throw a spanner in the works at the last minute.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!