Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Stig said:

razil said:

I know they’re both adults just not sure this should carry on in full view now

You're right. Sorry for the diversion. But at least now we know Bob's a Lifer, I'm sure everyone would really be pleased if he could explain his tweet which kicked it all off.

FWIW, I've heard this morning from other decent sources that the rumours regarding the structure of the deal (landlease, cut on transfers and funding via share issue) have no credibility. Which seems like good news to me.

There is conflicting information, some of it anecdotal, but I was also told that it is a “clean” deal - and that is the only way (lease element) it can be completed without the ex-directors.
    Airman, can I just check that I understand you correctly. Are you suggesting that the ex-directors are looking after the interests of the club by blocking any deal that would give Duchatelet any level of control over the club or income from the club post-sale?
    Simply they have had no approach or contact from the Aussies or re the Aussies as of yesterday.
    I heard the same, my question is why have they not called a Creditors meeting, isn't there a requirement in their Loan Documentation to inform Lenders of a potential change of ownership.
    Maybe their Lawyers are watching to see what happens.
    Either way you would assume as a group of seven substantially wealthy individuals ,that Roland's actions are being monitored.
    They are not “a group” of seven though, as you know. At least three of them wouldn’t put Murray out if he was on fire.
    I know but stating 7 wealthy businessmen,you would think 3 or 1 or 4 or whatever number individually would have their Lawyers on the case.
    If the standing agreement is that their loans can be rolled over without agreement as per Aimans understanding of the situation and we know that none of the magnificent seven have heard a dicky bird. I’m not sure what their respective legal teams can be on the case of.
    They can be rolled if buyers don't want charges or more importantly their Lenders don't, but if they were a cash rich group with Millions to spend,why would you leave charges in place.
    Particularly when at least one major creditor in that group would do a deal to stay involved.
    Unless they are still scrambling for funds as they have been for a year.
    Oh god
  • JamesSeed said:

Having a completely shit day. I reckon this being announced is the only thing that could turn my mood around.

What being announced?
    You gone senile James? What thread we on?
  • Curb_It said:

cafcfan said:

Scoham said:

Anyone know who the bloke next to Elliott is in the Newsshoper photo? Pretty sure it isn't him but looks a bit like Usmanov - owns 30% of Arsenal (and is looking to sell those shares) and 30% of Rangers and is the business partner of Moshiri, who is the majority shareholder at Everton, a deal brokered by Keith Harris.

Don't think it's him but not too dissimilar.
    Could it be Philip Aiken? He was apparently sniffing around Coventry a year ago with Murphy. https://coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/who-gerard-murphy-philip-aiken-12966086

He, too, is Australian but lives in the UK. He is Non-exec Chairman of Balfour Beatty the construction giant. Here's a photo for comparison:

You'd have to add a touch of "Just For Men" mind.
    No I sent it to my pal last week who knows him and he confirmed it wasn't him. He also told him he wasn't involved any more.

FFs - that’s quite a big picture of my head in the bottom right hand corner of the mercury photo
  • edited May 2018

JamesSeed said:

Having a completely shit day. I reckon this being announced is the only thing that could turn my mood around.

What being announced?
    This was one of those 'whoosh' things. Napa spotted it a mile off.
  • JamesSeed said:

Gerard Murphy is being described as a 'business associate' of Muir's, but I'd be surprised if he is financially invested in the takeover.
    He's actually a sports psychologist who, when I knew him, was working with the England rugby team and then QPR.
    I believe he went back to Australia after that time. I'm not sure what he's been doing since then, but certainly when I knew him he wasn't someone with the sort of wealth that would enable him to become a business partner of Muir's. Things may have changed of course, but I suspect he's probably more of an adviser.

Isn’t he being rumoured as CEO

This is Charlton. Anything is possible.
  • cabbles said:

Curb_It said:

cafcfan said:

Scoham said:

Anyone know who the bloke next to Elliott is in the Newsshoper photo? Pretty sure it isn't him but looks a bit like Usmanov - owns 30% of Arsenal (and is looking to sell those shares) and 30% of Rangers and is the business partner of Moshiri, who is the majority shareholder at Everton, a deal brokered by Keith Harris.

Don't think it's him but not too dissimilar.
    Could it be Philip Aiken? He was apparently sniffing around Coventry a year ago with Murphy. https://coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/who-gerard-murphy-philip-aiken-12966086

He, too, is Australian but lives in the UK. He is Non-exec Chairman of Balfour Beatty the construction giant. Here's a photo for comparison:

You'd have to add a touch of "Just For Men" mind.
    No I sent it to my pal last week who knows him and he confirmed it wasn't him. He also told him he wasn't involved any more.

FFs - that’s quite a big picture of my head in the bottom right hand corner of the mercury photo
    Your secret is out, how long have you been negotiating to take over the club?
  • So much negativity when in reality we don’t have much genuine information to base it on.

What we do know is that Muir is wealthy and supposedly a decent human being. He probably isn’t alone in financing the purchase.

He’s likely to be Club Chairman and I doubt someone of his wealth and standing would take that role lightly or want it to flop badly.

Paul Elliot is Charlton through and through and can be seen at the club for most matches. He’s without doubt got the club’s best interests at heart. As rumoured Vice Chairman he is likely to be more hands on than Muir. Elliot is a football man.

Let’s just wait a bit longer and see what actually transpires once it’s been officially announced.

LJWABLASWATOIBOA it is
    It's a serious challenge to WIOTOS.
  • @Redhenry are your mob definately out now or could they be tabling a last minute bid?

are Red bull Still in?
  • bobmunro said:

Sorry - been a while since I posted a It's Happening gif.

Obviously! Where's Sue Parkes in that?
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

What being announced?
    This was one of those 'whoosh' things. Napa spotted it a mile off.
    Sorry mate. I said I was in a bad mood! Don't usually reply like that!
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Gerard Murphy is being described as a 'business associate' of Muir's, but I'd be surprised if he is financially invested in the takeover.
    He's actually a sports psychologist who, when I knew him, was working with the England rugby team and then QPR.
    I believe he went back to Australia after that time. I'm not sure what he's been doing since then, but certainly when I knew him he wasn't someone with the sort of wealth that would enable him to become a business partner of Muir's. Things may have changed of course, but I suspect he's probably more of an adviser.

Isn’t he being rumoured as CEO

This is Charlton. Anything is possible.
    Should add that he's a good bloke, or was when I knew him; typical Aussie, straight talker, likes a beer, good sense of fun.
  • Desperately searching for some good news, I found this on 'ROAR' , an Australian online sports website its dated errr tomorrow, its all a bit depressing really..

'The exciting part of the mooted Aussie consortium seeking to buy Charlton Athletic is that they are (reportedly) seeking to create a feeder system for Australian talent.

If true this idea is long overdue and a fascinating experiment in artificially boosting the European development of Australian players. In principle this could mean that a player like Troisi looking for a gig in Europe could knock on Charlton’s door and find a more accommodating recruitment team.

Now Charlton just lost a Championship promotion playoff, but let’s say for convenience that a Championship level Charlton would be a fascinating concept that could be replicated across Europe.

Imagine a Championship level club ready willing and able to pick up a 20-year-old Daniel Arzani – even on loan for a season from City – to work on his talents with game time against seasoned professionals.

Or Josh Brillante being invited to compete for a spot in central midfield and really challenge himself rather than risk falling into complacency at a level that he has mastered. This could be a game-changer for the National team.

Perhaps the Lowys or the guy who owns Mona, or Dick Smith could put their hands in their pockets and buy up Zulte Waregem, FC Groningen or 50-1 per cent of VfL Bochum to solve the demand-side problem our Australian talent faces'

full link -https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/05/16/league-hold-back-national-team/
  • edited May 2018

@Redhenry are your mob definately out now or could they be tabling a last minute bid?

are Red bull Still in?

After all these year of promising thatvRed Bull gives you wings, they have grown them and flown off.

The Aussies are a boomerang, but one that doesn’t come back, the Scottish mob got so pissed that they paid 40 million for the Royal Oak. We’re stuck with the senilie old Belgian scroat forever.
  • Shrew said:

Desperately searching for some good news, I found this on 'ROAR' , an Australian online sports website its dated errr tomorrow, its all a bit depressing really..

'The exciting part of the mooted Aussie consortium seeking to buy Charlton Athletic is that they are (reportedly) seeking to create a feeder system for Australian talent.

If true this idea is long overdue and a fascinating experiment in artificially boosting the European development of Australian players. In principle this could mean that a player like Troisi looking for a gig in Europe could knock on Charlton’s door and find a more accommodating recruitment team.

Now Charlton just lost a Championship promotion playoff, but let’s say for convenience that a Championship level Charlton would be a fascinating concept that could be replicated across Europe.

Imagine a Championship level club ready willing and able to pick up a 20-year-old Daniel Arzani – even on loan for a season from City – to work on his talents with game time against seasoned professionals.

Or Josh Brillante being invited to compete for a spot in central midfield and really challenge himself rather than risk falling into complacency at a level that he has mastered. This could be a game-changer for the National team.

Perhaps the Lowys or the guy who owns Mona, or Dick Smith could put their hands in their pockets and buy up Zulte Waregem, FC Groningen or 50-1 per cent of VfL Bochum to solve the demand-side problem our Australian talent faces'

full link -https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/05/16/league-hold-back-national-team/

"If true". The uninformed journalist's go-to caveat.

What this speculation-full, but fact-free article fails to shed light on is any reason why Charlton's owners would do this.

The Belgian Turing had an idea to swap playing and coaching staff around his network to lower costs and add value. It was a sound idea, poorly executed and consequently an expensive and embarrassing failure. But at least it had the merit of planned cost reduction and vale adding.

This poor article fails to deliver an answer to the one question surrounding the new owners' motivation: why?
  • I would guess that it will be difficult to obtain working visas for young Australians without international football experience.

Unless their parents were born here.
  • I would guess that it will be difficult to obtain working visas for young Australians without international football experience.

Couple of thoughts though;

1. A seriously large number of Australians have a European and likely British parent or Grandparent so assume could qualify for a passport?

2. I assume Australians still relatively easily get a two year working visa here? They used to 20odd years back. If right then that would be enough for their home club to loan them here, so Essendon for example buy up the best Australian kids, loan them to us for a year, if they are a success they can sell for a large amount compared to selling straight out of the Aussie league.
  • Shrew said:

Desperately searching for some good news, I found this on 'ROAR' , an Australian online sports website its dated errr tomorrow, its all a bit depressing really..

Mooy at Huddersfield isn't bad is he?

Visas would be an issue and I also doubt it's their sole motive as it was for Duchatelet.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

Which players do need work permits?

Footballers from outside the EU must still obtain a work permit if they wish to play for English football clubs. Every non-EU footballer must successfully apply for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) with the FA before the Home Office will consider issuing a work permit.

The system has recently been tightened and now only non-EEA players who are internationally established at the highest level, and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level, are allowed to play in the UK. One of the reasons for the rule change was that only 58% of football players who were given work visas played any top-flight football in their second season.

What are the criteria which will be used?

Until 2015, football players needed to have played in at least 75% of their country’s senior international matches over the previous two years to play in the UK. Eligibility for a GBE now depends on a national team’s FIFA ranking, as follows:

Official FIFA Ranking / Required % of international matches in past 2 yrs
    FIFA 1-10 / 30% and above
    FIFA 11-20 / 45% and above
    FIFA 21-30 / 60% and above
    FIFA 31-50 / 75% and above

In the case of players aged 21 or under at the time of application, the period is reduced to one year. The aim is to make it easier for young, outstanding talent to grow their game in the UK.

If a club’s application is rejected, there is an appeals process. The Exceptions Panel is the appeals body which will consider, on a points based system, the player’s experience and value before deciding whether the player can join the club, regardless of their failed application. A stricter assessment of relevant objective criteria will now be applied in an appeal.
  • Oh for the days when the players got the same bus to the ground as the fans.
  • edited May 2018
    Australia are ranked 40 in the world at the moment and so by the above criteria, we can only get permits for Australian players who have played in at least 75% of their national team matches over the last two years (or one year if the player is under the age of 21).
  • Crusty54 said:

I would guess that it will be difficult to obtain working visas for young Australians without international football experience.

Unless their parents were born here.

It’s hardly the basis for spending £40 million on a football club.

• 'belgium are really good nationally, I wouldn't mind a few players from over there if they are deemed surplus to requirements at a champions league club like standard liege'.

It's like looking in the mirror 4 years ago. Feeder club systems don't work.
  • 747 pages. This is now officially a "jumbo" thread!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!