Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I would guess that it will be difficult to obtain working visas for young Australians without international football experience.

Not if they have British grandparents
  • I would guess that it will be difficult to obtain working visas for young Australians without international football experience.

Couple of thoughts though;

1. A seriously large number of Australians have a European and likely British parent or Grandparent so assume could qualify for a passport?

2. I assume Australians still relatively easily get a two year working visa here? They used to 20odd years back. If right then that would be enough for their home club to loan them here, so Essendon for example buy up the best Australian kids, loan them to us for a year, if they are a success they can sell for a large amount compared to selling straight out of the Aussie league.
    Aussies with British grandparents can easily get a passport. Essendon are Aussie Rules totally different game.

Some seriously talented young Aussies around in the A League, many find there way into European football so there are obviously ways of getting a permit.
  • TEL said:

I would guess that it will be difficult to obtain working visas for young Australians without international football experience.

1. A seriously large number of Australians have a European and likely British parent or Grandparent so assume could qualify for a passport?

2. I assume Australians still relatively easily get a two year working visa here? They used to 20odd years back. If right then that would be enough for their home club to loan them here, so Essendon for example buy up the best Australian kids, loan them to us for a year, if they are a success they can sell for a large amount compared to selling straight out of the Aussie league.
    Aussies with British grandparents can easily get a passport. Essendon are Aussie Rules totally different game.

Some seriously talented young Aussies around in the A League, many find there way into European football so there are obviously ways of getting a permit.
    Hadn’t realised they were Aussie rules, bring em over, they definitely would not get bullied by Shrews. ;-)
    They are weak as piss at the moment, so wouldnt bank on that.
  • vffvff
    edited May 2018

I would guess that it will be difficult to obtain working visas for young Australians without international football experience.

Oh joy. A team half full of Permanently rotating Australian temps. You get used to them, & then off they go, to be replaced by a new set.
    Chizz said:

Shrew said:

Desperately searching for some good news, I found this on 'ROAR' , an Australian online sports website its dated errr tomorrow, its all a bit depressing really..

'The exciting part of the mooted Aussie consortium seeking to buy Charlton Athletic is that they are (reportedly) seeking to create a feeder system for Australian talent.

If true this idea is long overdue and a fascinating experiment in artificially boosting the European development of Australian players. In principle this could mean that a player like Troisi looking for a gig in Europe could knock on Charlton’s door and find a more accommodating recruitment team.

Now Charlton just lost a Championship promotion playoff, but let’s say for convenience that a Championship level Charlton would be a fascinating concept that could be replicated across Europe.

Imagine a Championship level club ready willing and able to pick up a 20-year-old Daniel Arzani – even on loan for a season from City – to work on his talents with game time against seasoned professionals.

Or Josh Brillante being invited to compete for a spot in central midfield and really challenge himself rather than risk falling into complacency at a level that he has mastered. This could be a game-changer for the National team.

Perhaps the Lowys or the guy who owns Mona, or Dick Smith could put their hands in their pockets and buy up Zulte Waregem, FC Groningen or 50-1 per cent of VfL Bochum to solve the demand-side problem our Australian talent faces'

full link -https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/05/16/league-hold-back-national-team/

"If true". The uninformed journalist's go-to caveat.

What this speculation-full, but fact-free article fails to shed light on is any reason why Charlton's owners would do this.

The Belgian Turing had an idea to swap playing and coaching staff around his network to lower costs and add value. It was a sound idea, poorly executed and consequently an expensive and embarrassing failure. But at least it had the merit of planned cost reduction and vale adding.

This poor article fails to deliver an answer to the one question surrounding the new owners' motivation: why?
    Or how? Unless they think the rules on overseas players are about to change.
  • Oh for the days when the players got the same bus to the ground as the fans.

Or even better, tram!
  • https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

Which players do need work permits?

Footballers from outside the EU must still obtain a work permit if they wish to play for English football clubs. Every non-EU footballer must successfully apply for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) with the FA before the Home Office will consider issuing a work permit.

The system has recently been tightened and now only non-EEA players who are internationally established at the highest level, and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level, are allowed to play in the UK. One of the reasons for the rule change was that only 58% of football players who were given work visas played any top-flight football in their second season.

What are the criteria which will be used?

Until 2015, football players needed to have played in at least 75% of their country’s senior international matches over the previous two years to play in the UK. Eligibility for a GBE now depends on a national team’s FIFA ranking, as follows:

Official FIFA Ranking / Required % of international matches in past 2 yrs
    FIFA 1-10 / 30% and above
    FIFA 11-20 / 45% and above
    FIFA 21-30 / 60% and above
    FIFA 31-50 / 75% and above

In the case of players aged 21 or under at the time of application, the period is reduced to one year. The aim is to make it easier for young, outstanding talent to grow their game in the UK.

If a club’s application is rejected, there is an appeals process. The Exceptions Panel is the appeals body which will consider, on a points based system, the player’s experience and value before deciding whether the player can join the club, regardless of their failed application. A stricter assessment of relevant objective criteria will now be applied in an appeal.

I heard a rumour that we might be leaving the EU (although the person who told me was a bit vague on how and what would replace it).
    Australia ranked at 40th so players have to play in 75% of games...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    vff said:

Oh joy. A team half full of Permanently rotating Australian temps. You get used to them, & then off they go, to be replaced by a new set.
    Not that different from lots of other people working in London then ...
  • https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

Footballers from outside the EU must still obtain a work permit if they wish to play for English football clubs. Every non-EU footballer must successfully apply for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) with the FA before the Home Office will consider issuing a work permit.

The system has recently been tightened and now only non-EEA players who are internationally established at the highest level, and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level, are allowed to play in the UK. One of the reasons for the rule change was that only 58% of football players who were given work visas played any top-flight football in their second season.

Until 2015, football players needed to have played in at least 75% of their country’s senior international matches over the previous two years to play in the UK. Eligibility for a GBE now depends on a national team’s FIFA ranking, as follows:

In the case of players aged 21 or under at the time of application, the period is reduced to one year. The aim is to make it easier for young, outstanding talent to grow their game in the UK.

If a club’s application is rejected, there is an appeals process. The Exceptions Panel is the appeals body which will consider, on a points based system, the player’s experience and value before deciding whether the player can join the club, regardless of their failed application. A stricter assessment of relevant objective criteria will now be applied in an appeal.

I heard a rumour that we might be leaving the EU (although the person who told me was a bit vague on how and what would replace it).
    Precisely - and I would think one of the reasons why the Aussies are so interested.

As from next April, we are able to form our own immigration policy outside of the EU Legislation and allow in as many ex Commonwealth immigrants - whether permanent or temporary - as we wish. I cannot see too many complaints over a small number of fit young English speaking high earning white makes being allowed in.

Pretty sure this will be seen as a back door entry into the EU by quite a few countries.
  • The new owner of Sunderland has said that the fit and proper test is hopefully being completed by the end of this week. If the Aussie bid is with the EFL then we can't be that far behind.
  • cafc-west said:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

Not if we leave the EU and so are no longer under those rules.

Has anyone got Mark Fish's phone number?
  • If this takeover is happening I really hope its today. The transfer window opens tomorrow morning and we need to be involved from the beginning so any identified targets are approached and hopefully bought.

Forgot about the transfer window changes. Really need to get this done asap.
  • Amazing how Belgium manage to allow in so many players from DR Congo within those EU rules.
  • cabbles said:

Curb_It said:

cafcfan said:

Scoham said:

Anyone know who the bloke next to Elliott is in the Newsshoper photo? Pretty sure it isn't him but looks a bit like Usmanov - owns 30% of Arsenal (and is looking to sell those shares) and 30% of Rangers and is the business partner of Moshiri, who is the majority shareholder at Everton, a deal brokered by Keith Harris.

Don't think it's him but not too dissimilar.
    Could it be Philip Aiken? He was apparently sniffing around Coventry a year ago with Murphy. https://coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/who-gerard-murphy-philip-aiken-12966086

He, too, is Australian but lives in the UK. He is Non-exec Chairman of Balfour Beatty the construction giant. Here's a photo for comparison:

You'd have to add a touch of "Just For Men" mind.
    No I sent it to my pal last week who knows him and he confirmed it wasn't him. He also told him he wasn't involved any more.

FFs - that’s quite a big picture of my head in the bottom right hand corner of the mercury photo
    And you’re with a girl that’s not Katrien? Is she your nan?
  • bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

Precisely - and I would think one of the reasons why the Aussies are so interested.

As from next April, we are able to form our own immigration policy outside of the EU Legislation and allow in as many ex Commonwealth immigrants - whether permanent or temporary - as we wish. I cannot see too many complaints over a small number of fit young English speaking high earning white makes being allowed in.

Pretty sure this will be seen as a back door entry into the EU by quite a few countries.
    Non-EU/EEA immigration is and always has been at the complete control of the UK Government. We have always been able to control this. The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Visa legislation is wholly UK law, nothing whatsoever to do with the EU, so leaving the EU has no impact on this in any way.

There was even talk a while ago of allowing ALL Australia, New Zealand and Canada citizens to have full rights to live and work in the UK.
    Won’t happen.

Would mean the same rights for all other Commonwealth countries.

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

Non-EU/EEA immigration is and always has been at the complete control of the UK Government. We have always been able to control this. The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Visa legislation is wholly UK law, nothing whatsoever to do with the EU, so leaving the EU has no impact on this in any way.

There was even talk a while ago of allowing ALL Australia, New Zealand and Canada citizens to have full rights to live and work in the UK.
    Won’t happen.

Would mean the same rights for all other Commonwealth countries.

Never said it would happen - and in fact the idea was shelved anyway.

But in terms of Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Visas the UK government could relax the eligibility criteria overnight if it chose to do so. For example - 'must hold a registration as a professional sportsperson that is recognised by the sports governing body' - no mention of x% of international games. Or it could leave it as it is or make qualification harder. My point was in refuting the claim that leaving the EU is one of the attractions to the Aussie consortium - it has no bearing whatsoever.
  • edited May 2018

I’ve had it with ‘experiments’......if that’s their remit they can piss off!
    We want OUR Charlton back and NOT someone else’s idea of what that should be if different from our own.
    We know what it was/is, for better or for worse, we simply want our Charlton back injured and sick as it may be.
    With the RIGHT people on board, we’ll nurse it back to health and get us back to what it was and should be.
  • edited May 2018

cafc-west said:

Has anyone got Mark Fish's phone number?
    Queens Head in Chislehurst will have it.
  • Were already well behind other clubs when it comes to transfer targets, we don’t even have a manager. This needs to be completed today.
  • cafc-west said:

But they are FIFA rules not EU. When we leave the EU we leave the economic area not the continent. Suspect the rules apply to Europe as a continent. In any case the UK government may implement similar rules (as they seem to want to do with many of, what were, EEC regulations and directives).
  • J BLOCK said:

Were already well behind other clubs when it comes to transfer targets, we don’t even have a manager. This needs to be completed today.

" Bovvered!"

Said Roland.
  • Addickted said:

Amazing how Belgium manage to allow in so many players from DR Congo within those EU rules.

Imagine it is some kind of ex-colony rule to allow citizenship.
  • Addickted said:

Amazing how Belgium manage to allow in so many players from DR Congo within those EU rules.

Imagine it is some kind of ex-colony rule to allow citizenship.
    I presume that British Leagues can pretty much do that with any country in the world considering the amount of colonies we've had ;)
  • J BLOCK said:

Were already well behind other clubs when it comes to transfer targets, we don’t even have a manager. This needs to be completed today.

I suspect the next manager already knows he is coming in and will be identifying his targets.
  • edited May 2018

@Redhenry are your mob definately out now or could they be tabling a last minute bid?

are Red bull Still in?

No idea, no info for a long time. As for Red Bull, is that a woosh?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!