Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

ozziedave said:

I know from having lived in London that Australians fit into your PATHETIC class system as inferior and as convicts blah blah blah - its so pathetic I'm not even going to go on any further.

Thanks for your assessment and 'alternative view' OzzieDave; interesting read. I don't make you right in your Para 2 though. Seems like you had some bad experiences as an Aussie in London(?). I'm working with a few aussies out here in the Middle-East and they are great company and great to be around. In my experience, they also give as good as they get (and some!) when it comes to banter. I think you're a bit wide of the mark fella when insinuating that some of the comments articulate a 'racist undercurrent'!? After the 4+ years that we've had with the Wallonian buffoon, you'll afford us the luxury of being a little bit sceptical and pessimistic; irrespective of the creed, race, culture, colour of any prospective new owners That's all.
    Fair enough I'm exaggerating a bit to get point across but I've generally found the attitude to be far too negative. From the minute Scott Parker walked out of the door Charlton have been going down the tubes and really need to find another way. I challenge you with this question would you be as negative if Mike Ashley was the buyer?
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

@ozziedave despite your best efforts to provoke us, I for one, won't rise to the bait. In fact, I offer a hand of friendship and if you ever venture back to see an Australian backed Charlton Athletic, I'll buy you a pint ..

And I'd buy you 2 back. Thanks, I'm not intentionally trying to be a prick, I'm just trying to put across another perspective whether I'm right or not. You have to challenge the status quo.
  • Options
    ozziedave said:

_MrDick said:

@ozziedave despite your best efforts to provoke us, I for one, won't rise to the bait. In fact, I offer a hand of friendship and if you ever venture back to see an Australian backed Charlton Athletic, I'll buy you a pint ..

And I'd buy you 2 back. Thanks, I'm not intentionally trying to be a prick, I'm just trying to put across another perspective whether I'm right or not. You have to challenge the status quo.
    Unintentionally?

• Options
    ozziedave said:

ozziedave said:

I know from having lived in London that Australians fit into your PATHETIC class system as inferior and as convicts blah blah blah - its so pathetic I'm not even going to go on any further.

Thanks for your assessment and 'alternative view' OzzieDave; interesting read. I don't make you right in your Para 2 though. Seems like you had some bad experiences as an Aussie in London(?). I'm working with a few aussies out here in the Middle-East and they are great company and great to be around. In my experience, they also give as good as they get (and some!) when it comes to banter. I think you're a bit wide of the mark fella when insinuating that some of the comments articulate a 'racist undercurrent'!? After the 4+ years that we've had with the Wallonian buffoon, you'll afford us the luxury of being a little bit sceptical and pessimistic; irrespective of the creed, race, culture, colour of any prospective new owners That's all.
    Fair enough I'm exaggerating a bit to get point across but I've generally found the attitude to be far too negative. From the minute Scott Parker walked out of the door Charlton have been going down the tubes and really need to find another way. I challenge you with this question would you be as negative if Mike Ashley was the buyer?
    If Ashley was the buyer I'd give up mate. :smile:
  • Options

ozziedave said:

_MrDick said:

Unintentionally?

Probably :-)
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Blimey don’t @ozziedave like to type!! I think @Grapevine49 might have a challenger :wink:

Won't last - start a new job soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ozziedave said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Blimey don’t @ozziedave like to type!! I think @Grapevine49 might have a challenger :wink:

Australian Diplomatic Corps?
    Bahahahahaha - not quite but not too far off the mark
  • Options
    I was looking forward to the Aussies coming in but the try too hard posts of ozzzzzzzzzziedave have put me right off
  • Options

Well that’s this thread hijacked for the next 20 pages.

My personal view ozziedave is. Brush that chip off your shoulder.

Did he get 15?

• Options
    @ozziedave it isn't because they are Australian, it is because we have had a run of poor owners or owners making terrible decisions, starting with Richard Murray's appointment of Dowie. There is also the fact this takeover has taken so long that fears of a funding gap keep resurfacing,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well that’s this thread hijacked for the next 20 pages.

My personal view ozziedave is. Brush that chip off your shoulder.

Think it was Clive Anderson who described Australians as the most well balanced people in the world. Chip on each shoulder!
  • Options
    ozziedave said:

Taxi_Lad said:

So you do Gerard.... as CEO
  • Options
    ozziedave said:

Having only very recently come onto this page its been a bit of an eye opener and with fresh eyes I might be able to give a little bit of feedback on what I see. Being Australian I'm somewhat biased as to how I would see an Aussie takeover of the club. However not living in London now i have no ability to get the benefits of an Aussie takeover. To be sure if I was living in London I would become a season ticket holder.
    However there are people on the forum who look at things in a way that I don't and I'd like to put forward some alternative viewpoints.

1. A common theme I'm seeing is the Aussies don't have the money and are pretty much full of sh.t. If they had the money the sale would have already gone through.
    Alternative View
    The current owner is stalling putting forward statements like there are 2 bidder etc waiting to see whether you were going to be promoted to The Championship where the club's valuation would have gone up significantly overnight.

2. There appears to be a general vibe of not being at all keen on Australian ownership and seeing the Australian consortium as fly by nighters or bounders. There is a bit of a "racist like" undercurrent to it.
    My View
    In this instance you need to realise that Charlton are a smaller entity to the club Muir is currently on the board of, that get smaller crowds, and turns over less money. The thing that they will find most difficult is finding people that they can trust, not getting the money to buy the club, although I will say each person in the consortium would be trying to limit their own personal risk because I can see plenty of risk involved.

3. There appears to be plenty of people who want someone to come in handover a truckload of money and then appoint the same faces, doing the same things, who have run the club for the past 20 years. And what you actually want is someone to come in and underwrite the club but have little input and have no decision making capacity.
    Alternative View
    If you do the same thing that has lead to failure and expect a different outcome then you are delusional. Having an owner emailing a manager asking for team changes is completely outrageous, but if a group buy a club that has given them the right to make their own decisions on the way the club is run. The people who maybe coming in, have a lot of skills in high performance sport and also in managing a brand. What they don't have is actual football management skills and that is what they would be expecting from people within the club to complement the skills of the Australians coming in. So far they have been advised by other Australians such as Mark Schwartzer as they need people with football expertise to guide them who they can trust. Because trust is a major issue. As supporters of the club you will need to trust the ownership and board that they are doing what's best going forward. And if the fact that being Australian is an issue maybe you need to raise the money yourselves and buy the club as a community of supporters - or should have done that many years ago.
    I'm not sure how you can achieve getting to the Premier League but not have any change to people who run the club, players, structure or finances.

4. Hardly anyone on this thread has said anything positive about what the Australian consortium would bring to the table except getting rid of the current owner and money.

My View

If the expertise and skills of the Australians are discounted you will end up in the same place you are now with a protest movement against the owners. I guess if you got immediate results there might not be as bad a backlash. Be sure of one thing Australians generally won't take a step back and will combative to break through obstacles to success. It's the Australian psyche to do that.

5. Having Australian players at the club and even the ground being used for Australian National Team games is almost universally seen as a bad thing with the term Australian feeder club used.

Alternative View

If you can get better players through having an expanded scouting network in Australia how can that be a bad thing when your local players get poached by bigger clubs repeatedly. You need to accept that you are a League One club and if you can get better players from a different source then that's what you need to do. How much would it cost to get a team of players from the Championship to play League One? While I say that I'm not advocating that all the players would be Australian but you build your squad to ensure that you get the best 11 on the park whether they are from your local academy, Australia or Mongolia.

6 There is some issue as to Australian consortium looking at Fulham or Charlton.

My View

You need to realise that buying into a club is not on this occasion an act of charity or some act to big note themselves as a business tycoon. I have intimated some of the reasons why Australians would see Charlton as a good prospect and here are the reasons
    1 In London
    As has been said there are well over 100,000 Australian who mainly live in south west London. Fulham would be the ideal club in location but to buy, with the right sized stadium but would cost more.
    2 Decent Stadium
    Need a good size stadium for the membership model to succeed. Most AFL stadium are 50,000 all seater with one able to seat 100,000
    3 Right Size and price
    The other club they looked at was Coventry - Australian's are not Arabs with plenty of oil money and of the clubs in London which is preferred location all others are too big or too small. Charlton is just right and managed so badly that they are under-performing to an extent that the club is under-valued.

Anyway plenty of people will hate that assessment but there you go bring it on haters.

Thanks Colin Cobber.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

@ozziedave no disrespect intended, but I didn't get the same impression you did at all. I thought the response here was overwhelmingly positive, bearing in mind that our previous experience with foreign owners was such a disaster.

I get the feeling that of all the world's nationalities that might be buyng Charlton, yours was probably at the very top of the acceptable list, as we have more in common with you than anyone.

I might have been a little too sensitive about the class issue. My club Adelaide Utd has just been taken over by the Dutch after we had terrible local owners who would buy in cheap overseas players and play juniors, sell them off if they wanted a pay rise.
    Surprisingly we got one title from it because at least they had a decent manager Guillermo Amor who played for Barcelona. so now we are owned by the Dutch, have a German manager but nobody cares because our club is in the best place its been for a while.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ozziedave said:

JamesSeed said:

@ozziedave no disrespect intended, but I didn't get the same impression you did at all. I thought the response here was overwhelmingly positive, bearing in mind that our previous experience with foreign owners was such a disaster.

I get the feeling that of all the world's nationalities that might be buyng Charlton, yours was probably at the very top of the acceptable list, as we have more in common with you than anyone.

I might have been a little too sensitive about the class issue. My club Adelaide Utd has just been taken over by the Dutch after we had terrible local owners who would buy in cheap overseas players and play juniors, sell them off if they wanted a pay rise.
    Surprisingly we got one title from it because at least they had a decent manager Guillermo Amor who played for Barcelona. so now we are owned by the Dutch, have a German manager but nobody cares because our club is in the best place its been for a while.
    Try being a Wellington Phoenix supporter... and a Charlton supporter
  • Options

ozziedave said:

JamesSeed said:

Try being a Wellington Phoenix supporter
    Aurelio is a pretty good manager despite being a little defensive. If you can get together a good bunch of players you should go OK. How has Daniel Mullen fitted in over there. At one stage he was going really well in Adelaide and seems to have gone backwards since,
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!