Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Is there a kangaroo flavoured pot noodle?
  • Options

ozziedave said:

JamesSeed said:

@ozziedave no disrespect intended, but I didn't get the same impression you did at all. I thought the response here was overwhelmingly positive, bearing in mind that our previous experience with foreign owners was such a disaster.

I get the feeling that of all the world's nationalities that might be buyng Charlton, yours was probably at the very top of the acceptable list, as we have more in common with you than anyone.

I might have been a little too sensitive about the class issue. My club Adelaide Utd has just been taken over by the Dutch after we had terrible local owners who would buy in cheap overseas players and play juniors, sell them off if they wanted a pay rise.
    Surprisingly we got one title from it because at least they had a decent manager Guillermo Amor who played for Barcelona. so now we are owned by the Dutch, have a German manager but nobody cares because our club is in the best place its been for a while.
    Bruce, you’re coming across as a bit of a wanker and giving us Aussies a bad name. Racism? Australia almost takes Gold. Having said that, if you follow AUFC you have my sympathy.

Aussie Al

I'm not a wanker Aussie Al just someone who's not scared to throw a grenade and see what reaction you get from it and I have to say on the whole I think I've not got the mood quite right. Hard to know exactly from such a long way away I just like to think that there will not be a disrespect of our football culture if there is an Aussie takeover of the club because there have been a few who don't seem overly keen on Australian players, Kewell, Australian National Team playing at The Valley.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

How can we be racist to the Aussies.

Most of them are Brits anyway :wink:

Like most of the soldiers at Gallipoli were Brits (or French but let's not bring them into it)
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Nothing like a 103 year old reference there @Henry Irving

Should have gone more modern and referred to the Bodyline series.

Are you saying Gallipoli is no longer relevant @Addickted ? We could ask @SE7toSG3 his opinion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Addickted said:

Like most of the soldiers at Gallipoli were Brits (or French but let's not bring them into it)
    That must come as a surprise to the Turks....
    You are quite right. I should have said allied soldiers.

Don't tell Aussie Dave or he'll tell us about a bad incident he saw in a kebab shop when he was over here and extrapolate that to mean we don't want any Turkish players.
    Socceroos are in Turkey right now for pre-World Cup camp. Landing was a greater success than 1915.
  • Options

Addickted said:

That must come as a surprise to the Turks....
    You are quite right. I should have said allied soldiers.

Don't tell Aussie Dave or he'll tell us about a bad incident he saw in a kebab shop when he was over here and extrapolate that to mean we don't want any Turkish players.
    I had a similar experience with some Belgian chocolates about four years ago.
  • Options
    Soon be 777 at this rate.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

@ozziedave despite your best efforts to provoke us, I for one, won't rise to the bait. In fact, I offer a hand of friendship and if you ever venture back to see an Australian backed Charlton Athletic, I'll buy you a pint ..

Not Fosters I hope, London Pride perhaps?. Just sayin :)
  • Options
    certainly not Fosters
  • Options
    fair enough
  • Options
    Agree with SE7toSG3. Aussie ownership is potentially a very good fit for us. They even sound a bit like us, I was brought up in Erith and Americans think I sound Australian.

Aside from nationality, what I like about JamesSeeds revelations of their plans is that they have one and it involves building the team over a number of years rather than just chucking money at it. I know what's a better fit. I get the concern about them not having enough money, but I'd rather someone was sensible with a plan than had loads of money but was an idiot. We've already tried that.

Anyway, whoever is causing the delays on this, whether it's the FL, Roland, or the Aussies themselves, pull your finger out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Honk a few people on here need to call the XXXX down

Sorry mate.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    SE7toSG3 said:

Well I thought the overwhelming response to Australian owners was positive mingled with an air of caution based on supporters previous experience at Charlton not on the prospective buyers nationality.

Sure there was a lot of stereotyping but racism? classist attitudes? Get over yourself @ozziedave were fucking Charlton not Old Etonians FC

Like quite a few on here I have worked in Australia, have Australian mates and family and, for want of a better word, banter aside, there is little difference between us.

Australian ownership has every chance of being an excellent fit for us but the frustration of years of poor ownership, splits between supporters and the club along with many a false dawn on this takeover thread all mean there will be muted celebration until its 100% confirmed.

This, absolutely this.

Ps I loved my time in Australia, great country and on the whole great people. Welcome them getting involved and welcome the idea of a small number of Australia’s best up and coming playing for us. Not keen on Kewell as there are better candidates out there.

As for racism in the UK of course it sadly exists everywhere - like when a copper in Perth, Oz stopped 8 of us in an old, non road worthy banger of a car and questioned us but then said he would not take it any further as, i quote him: ‘i’m only after the Asians’.
  • Options
    Eff me, an Ozzie digging about racism.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Ozziedave. My brother in law, and sister in law emigrated to Perth in 1987. They subsequently became Naturalised Australian's.
    Recently, brother in law had a leather jacket nicked whilst eating in a Perth restaurant.
    There was a report in the local paper where he was described as an 'immigrant'.
    Nothing to do with football, but I do object to your suggestion that this thread has some racist undertones. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black - (am I allowed to say that these days?).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!