Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The General Election - June 8th 2017

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Urghh. While the concept of a politicians success being dependent upon how many fellow politicians they have slept with is truly depressing, it would be even more depressing if Jeremy Corbyn succeeded as a result of clandestine affairs.

It's difficult to look at Diane Abbott and feel envious of Corbyn.
    I'm sure that's what these guys thought too: telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/revealed-jeremy-corbyn-showed-off-naked-diane-abbott-to-impress/
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Farron has had a bit of a car-crash interview on BBC Breakfast this morning. Tony Blair was mentioned as asking voters to go for the candidates that will oppose Brexit the most, a message that ties in closer with the Liberal Democrats than Labour.

This led to a fairly simple question being pointed towards Farron, specifically "Would you share a platform with Tony Blair?". After a lot of waffle the question has to be presented to him again - "I don't think there was a Yes or No in there?". Rather than answer the question as requested, his just verbally craps out more party lines and platitudes.

You're the leader of a political party FFS! Just say "Although I didn't agree with many of the decisions of Blair's government, I do feel there is some common ground on this issue and would be open to sharing a platform in opposition to Brexit.", or alternatively "Whilst I did campaign to remain in the UK like Mr. Blair, I feel that the British people have cast their votes and expressed their wishes. We shouldn't oppose that wish, but we need to ensure we get the best deal, and for that reason I wouldn't share a platform with Mr.Blair.". Not hard, is it?

On a side note, I still find it quite funny just how toxic Blair's name is; especially considering just how emphatic his election victories were.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Fiiish said:

The Mail couldn't have made her look more like the Emperor from Star Wars if they tried.

And they're trying to make her look good!

Damn you McBobbin...beat me to it! That bloke does some fabulously irreverent stuff.
  • Options
    Think I'm voting green.
  • Options
    I still think it unlikely that huge swathes of the Scottish electorate will vote Tory regardless of any dissatisfaction of the SNP.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

IdleHans said:

Urghh. While the concept of a politicians success being dependent upon how many fellow politicians they have slept with is truly depressing, it would be even more depressing if Jeremy Corbyn succeeded as a result of clandestine affairs.

It's difficult to look at Diane Abbott and feel envious of Corbyn.
    I'm sure that's what these guys thought too: telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/revealed-jeremy-corbyn-showed-off-naked-diane-abbott-to-impress/
    That's some grim reading.

Sounds like he fetishised her due to her colour, then used her as a social prop to get some kudos from his unwashed friends. The whole "I forgot the leaflets, lads" is cringeworthy too.

If one of my mates made me see a half naked Diane Abbott in an attempt at looking cool, he'd soon have an invoice for my therapy in the post and would no longer be a friend.
  • Options
    John McDonnell is a smug git.
  • Options

Think I'm voting green.

Curly kale?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

John McDonnell is a smug git.

Did you hear him about Brenda from Bristol? lol
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    LuckyReds said:

Farron has had a bit of a car-crash interview on BBC Breakfast this morning. Tony Blair was mentioned as asking voters to go for the candidates that will oppose Brexit the most, a message that ties in closer with the Liberal Democrats than Labour.

This led to a fairly simple question being pointed towards Farron, specifically "Would you share a platform with Tony Blair?". After a lot of waffle the question has to be presented to him again - "I don't think there was a Yes or No in there?". Rather than answer the question as requested, his just verbally craps out more party lines and platitudes.

You're the leader of a political party FFS! Just say "Although I didn't agree with many of the decisions of Blair's government, I do feel there is some common ground on this issue and would be open to sharing a platform in opposition to Brexit.", or alternatively "Whilst I did campaign to remain in the UK like Mr. Blair, I feel that the British people have cast their votes and expressed their wishes. We shouldn't oppose that wish, but we need to ensure we get the best deal, and for that reason I wouldn't share a platform with Mr.Blair.". Not hard, is it?

On a side note, I still find it quite funny just how toxic Blair's name is; especially considering just how emphatic his election victories were.

I don't think that is a fair question to ask him. If he dodged it, good for him. It is only valid if there was a prospect of him sharing a platform with Blair. I think the way the press treat this is just a point scoring game and a disgrace! You can't link all pro Europeans with Blair because he is one. I agree with Blair about Europe but despise the man!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2017
    At this stage - and the way politics is going, it can change - it is looking like a Tory landslide which will be a disaster for the country. It will make the prospect of a soft Brexit all the more unlikely. The best result for May would not be to gain a landslide though, only a slightly enhanced majority - this will terminally weaken Corbyn and make the Labour party more of a future threat, especially when Brexit turns out not to be the great thing some people think. She has given the people another two years of post Brexit decline to cement their views - not clever! I think staying in the single market is more important than party politics and in that respect, I will put my vote wherever the chances of that prospect is improved.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

You're the leader of a political party FFS! Just say "Although I didn't agree with many of the decisions of Blair's government, I do feel there is some common ground on this issue and would be open to sharing a platform in opposition to Brexit.", or alternatively "Whilst I did campaign to remain in the UK like Mr. Blair, I feel that the British people have cast their votes and expressed their wishes. We shouldn't oppose that wish, but we need to ensure we get the best deal, and for that reason I wouldn't share a platform with Mr.Blair.". Not hard, is it?.

There are more than two possible answers to this pointless question.
  • Options
    Aren't opinion polls totally discredited these days?
  • Options
    It is potential saboteurs in her own party who might not be happy with a Brexit which stitches up the country and businesses such as mine!!!!
  • Options
    Watching Davis on the television this morning it seems that the Tories are firmly making this an election about Brexit. Not the so called remainers, but the Tories.
    It matters that issues like health, the environment, education, housing and so on are kept on the agenda, because the Tories will want to avoid those.
  • Options
    One thing to look forward to is that Dead Ringers will come back on the wireless.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    But Brexit impacts on all of the other issues! We can't avoid the fact that it is the most important issue in this election.
  • Options

But Brexit impacts on all of the other issues! We can't avoid the fact that it is the most important issue in this election.

I agree, but it might also be a convenient distraction narrative whilst the Tories screw the country over domestically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

'Car crash'?!.........More like wishful thinking/spin on your part.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    That isn't true -we will be voting not whether we stay in the EU or not, but whether we are part of the single market or not! During Brexit, leavers were staying we would stay in it with a deal like Norway or Switzerland! There are conservatives who see the danger to the country of leaving the single market and their consciences won't let them vote for a hard Brexit. May is holding an election, a) to give her free rein in negotiations to do this and b) because she expects to win with a landslide!

It would be a miracle if the Tories don't win, conservatives who understand the importance of staying in the single market have to think hard about their positions. May's majority mustn't get bigger and getting a little smaller will be to the benefit of the country.
  • Options
    Tragically it looks like a win win every which way for the Tories.

Tory voters will turn out because they will want to secure the large majority that gives them carte Blanche. They will gain votes from Brexit UKIP voters.

Labour will haemorrhage votes due to The Corbyn factor, people like me in fact. They will lose votes to the Lib Dems and Greens. They will also suffer apathy from the labour vote that sees this election as a hiding to nothing. Where they actually pick up votes from is a mystery.

I can see Labour hitting the 145 seat total.

I have no idea where to cast my vote. I could never vote Tory and can't vote labour and struggle with Lib Dems purely through plausibility. The Green are wackos.

I'm disenfranchised.
  • Options

Tory voters will turn out because they will want to secure the large majority that gives them carte Blanche. They will gain votes from Brexit UKIP voters.

Labour will haemorrhage votes due to The Corbyn factor, people like me in fact. They will lose votes to the Lib Dems and Greens. They will also suffer apathy from the labour vote that sees this election as a hiding to nothing. Where they actually pick up votes from is a mystery.

I have no idea where to cast my vote. I could never vote Tory and can't vote labour and struggle with Lib Dems purely through plausibility. The Green are wackos.

I'm disenfranchised.

As you say, Labour have zero chance of winning. But you are in a slightly marginal seat. You don't have the luxury of a protest vote. The priority is to stop May significantly increasing her majority. You need to monitor the polling in your constituency and vote for whoever looks most likely to defeat the Tory candidate.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the coalition with the Tories in the last government, and Nick Clegg had held back his ascension to this election, with the Brexit reversal being one of their key policies, I could genuinely see them having more seats than Labour, if everything else remained constant.

Unfortunate for them in many ways.

I genuinely think if you are a remainer who cares/believes that much about how "bad" Brexit is/is going to be voting Lib Dem is the only real choice in this election, certainly for many in here I would see that as the only logical choice.

Because of this I really expect them to do well, they just don't have the right leader. I think they would actually do better bringing Clegg back and ditching Farron despite everything that has happened with Clegg.

They have a huge opportunity here, but I don't think they will grab it.
  • Options

I'm disenfranchised.

As you say, Labour have zero chance of winning. But you are in a slightly marginal seat. You don't have the luxury of a protest vote. The priority is to stop May significantly increasing her majority. You need to monitor the polling in your constituency and vote for whoever looks most likely to defeat the Tory candidate.
    That can only be the current MP Clive Efford.

• Options
    Huskaris said:

If it wasn't for the coalition with the Tories in the last government, and Nick Clegg had held back his ascension to this election, with the Brexit reversal being one of their key policies, I could genuinely see them having more seats than Labour, if everything else remained constant.

Unfortunate for them in many ways.

I genuinely think if you are a remainer who cares/believes that much about how "bad" Brexit is/is going to be voting Lib Dem is the only real choice in this election, certainly for many in here I would see that as the only logical choice.

Because of this I really expect them to do well, they just don't have the right leader. I think they would actually do better bringing Clegg back and ditching Farron despite everything that has happened with Clegg.

They have a huge opportunity here, but I don't think they will grab it.

I see where you are coming from but what can they actually achieve? To get 40 seats would be monumental for them this time and frankly that won't put them anywhere near opposition.

• Options
    Mays refusal to engage in televised debate is a disgrace but she's a shrewd old Biddy. Putting herself up for scrutiny would gain her absolutely nothing. She's already won the election. All she needs to do is sit tight and not fuck up.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!