Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Scoham said:

How some of you are happy with this transfer window totally baffles me, this might be the thinnest squad we've had under RD.

This proves two things:

1) RD really doesn't give a shit about results, money is the only thing that matters to him.

2) Certain posters on here are never going to criticise the club, no matter what they do. One poster even tried to bring up the Spanish world cup winning team in order to defend the regime ffs.

Striker situation is ridiculous but where else is the squad thin?

Ideally we'd have signed back up full backs but at RB we'll cover Solly between Konsa and Dijksteel. LB Page is injured for another month or so, having 3 senior left backs for the season was never going to happen.
    Also thin at GK, the Kashi role, and on the wing.
    GK I don't agree, two with the back up being young (and did well last season) is reasonable at this level. You can still sign GKs on an emergency loan.

Kashi I expect would be replaced by Konsa, Dijksteel or Crofts. Konsa's shown he's capable while Dijksteel turns 21 in October - if he's not ready to play a few games in League 1 he won't ever be good enough.

Holmes, Fosu and Marshall when he's back. Yeah ideally I'd liked a fourth. Reeves played on the right for MK Dons and with Clarke playing well I could see that happening. With Clarke that's 5 players for the 3 attacking midfield slots. KAG is the 6th which isn't ideal but I'm sure we're stronger than most in this league in that area.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Oi Rasher...shut it! We're grieving here...
  • Options
    'Final piece in the jigsaw' really seems apt on this occasion, in that we seem to have assembled something really impressive, but with a glaringly-obvious gap. Yes, let's give Dodoo every chance, but we have no plan B if he struggles - too much is resting on Mag's shoulders.

Like many, I'm not anxious about any of the departures, Novak included, and maybe there is a free agent signing that we are trying to pull out of the bag (Lambert is the name we have banded around, and there are parallels with 97-98, where Mark Bright's arrival suddenly brought someone else who could chip in, plus some all-round nous). But until/unless that happens, the anxiety is understandable.

But let's see. Overall we are in pretty good shape - have a read of the some of the comments from Rotherham/Northampton fans & media, in both cases quick to point that we were tons better than them. We've got the best midfield in L1, I'd say. And maybe 4-6-0 really works in L1!
  • Options

Godden has scored 0 goals so far this season...

Grigg has 1 goal his last 33 matches.
    Really?! So why were we so keen on him??
  • Options

it means fuck all keeping them if we r stuck in this shit league

It means f**k all if we buy Ronaldo and Messi and stay in this sh*t league
  • Options
    It is what it is. Nothing can be changed now, lets just get on with it.

They have no excuses come Jan, now most of the silly wages are off the books.

COYR's
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but yesterday's signing has left me humming The Police's "De Do Do Do De Da Da Da" all morning.

Unless he turns out to be wonderful (in which case Rangers will take him back in January), this could well turn out to be the high point, for me, in the signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Now this is over all we need to do is concentrate on wins.
    Failure to win is the failure, and if Karl or the regime point to player absence as a reason they are the ones at fault.
    Win.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I expect Clarke, KAG or Reeco to lead the line on Saturday.

Do you think that's good enough to get us promoted? Genuinely.
    If I am honest. No

Hoping something else up our sleeve...loan window or Dodoo turns out to be some kind of Wunderkind

But I don't see we are a great deal weaker than 2 hours ago
    There is no loan window anymore.
    Sue ate it
  • Options
    robroy said:

It is what it is. Nothing can be changed now, lets just get on with it.

They have no excuses come Jan, now most of the silly wages are off the books.

COYR's

Don't really think they had many excuses this Summer, if I'm honest.
  • Options

I'm pissing myself laughing. I assume all week they have been training with the plan of Novak playing up front, but on Saturday at 3 o'clock it will be "Ricky, meet Mr Dodoo - please can you pass to him when you get the chance".

We are playing a team who have lost all 4 league games & sit rock bottom of the table - We should be going at then all guns blazing, trying to get a goal up early on & demoralise them further - yet we are going into the game with no striker with any League experience.

We are the laughing stock of League One

Nope.

JamesSeed said:

T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Charlton Athletic transfer deadline day 2016-17 repeated tonight at 11.00pm on UKGold. ;)

Watching it again now, all very sad :(
    Why sad. Best window for years. Not perfect, and it won't be with these owners, but I for one am looking forward to Oldham.
    If the train is on time.
    Yup. I'm guessing I'll miss ten mins :-(

There's clearly a move to balance the books. A huge clear out of high earners, and those coming in have cost peanuts.
    Karl has stuck some plasters on the wooden leg and, imho, has done a great job. Had he signed duds, there'd be rioting down Charlton Church Lane.
    But the lack of investment in a striker or two at the death has emphasised that financial prudence is all.

This is surely because;

either

a) RD is setting the club up for sale, because his Network experiments have failed. Owning Charlton is no longer interesting to him.

or

b) his experiment continues. Running a club on the cheap, within the rules of FFP, something he is a believer in.

I know which one I'd prefer.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Pleased to see we kept hold of Holmes, Pearce, Konsa and Kashi. And agree that some of the new additions look good.

If we're serious about promotion, leaving us so light up front is baffling. I could understand it more if we were in financial straits or got a fantastic offer for Novak. But we've got the richest owners in our history and Novak went for free.

No manager can be happy with no experienced striker cover. So for me it's either that we're not that serious about promotion, incompetence or a bit of both.

Pleased once again that I gave up my season ticket and found better things to do on a Saturday. Club's a joke.

Which ones don't? (Apart from Amos - and he's performed well over the last two/three matches).
    How many matches have you watched this season?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    tgarrat1 said:

Last year we had Kevin Foley, Jackson Crofts and Ajose starting surrounded by kids, I would say the present side is a vast improvement ... only player I would put in today's team would be Lookman

Also surrounded by Pearce, Holmes and Magennis, all signed under Slade, to be fair. Presumably you would keep them, as well as Solly and possibly Rudd. And Konsa? And Bauer was here, although injured.
  • Options
    Crofts contract was terminated last night
  • Options
    Crofts has left the club by mutual consent apparently, according to News Shopper Sport journalist on Twitter...

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

I'm pissing myself laughing. I assume all week they have been training with the plan of Novak playing up front, but on Saturday at 3 o'clock it will be "Ricky, meet Mr Dodoo - please can you pass to him when you get the chance".

We are playing a team who have lost all 4 league games & sit rock bottom of the table - We should be going at then all guns blazing, trying to get a goal up early on & demoralise them further - yet we are going into the game with no striker with any League experience.

Nope.

JamesSeed said:

T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Charlton Athletic transfer deadline day 2016-17 repeated tonight at 11.00pm on UKGold. ;)

Why sad. Best window for years. Not perfect, and it won't be with these owners, but I for one am looking forward to Oldham.
    If the train is on time.

There's clearly a move to balance the books. A huge clear out of high earners, and those coming in have cost peanuts.
    Karl has stuck some plasters on the wooden leg and, imho, has done a great job. Had he signed duds, there'd be rioting down Charlton Church Lane.
    But the lack of investment in a striker or two at the death has emphasised that financial prudence is all.

This is surely because;

either

a) RD is setting the club up for sale, because his Network experiments have failed. Owning Charlton is no longer interesting to him.

or

b) his experiment continues. Running a club on the cheap, within the rules of FFP, something he is a believer in.

I'll have an a) please Jim!! :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc4life said:

Crofts has left the club by mutual consent apparently, according to News Shopper Sport journalist on Twitter...

If true that means Dijksteel and some of the others may get to play a bigger part in the side in the position they favour.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Godden has scored 0 goals so far this season...

Grigg has 1 goal his last 33 matches.
    Really?! So why were we so keen on him??
    He has a good song and we had a need for that with Watt leaving

https://youtu.be/eOpGCGtCVsE
    Worth every penny then!
  • Options
    Crikey it does look like they were attempting to free up some wages for another decent striker but failed to land the one they wanted.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

• Options
    We really are on a shoe-string budget. I do hope the wages freed up from Crofts and Novak allow us to sign someone like Lambert on a free as real competition for Mag.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Nope.

JamesSeed said:

T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

If the train is on time.

This is surely because;

either

or

I couldn't agree more - I think the whole close-season looked like he was trying to make the club sustainable on a day-to-day basis. So with Watt, Tex, Ceballos etc. gone, the liabilities against the club are smaller and the club will be more attractive to a potential buyer. I really think we are looking at him selling Charlton in the near-to-medium future.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Crikey it does look like they were attempting to free up some wages for another decent striker but failed to land the one they wanted.

Crofts will almost certainly have been paid off.
  • Options
    An already small squad is getting smaller and smaller..
  • Options
    Crofts out wright in? I'm guessing we can sign wright as he was a free during the window?