Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• edited September 2017

So I've never claimed to be ITK before so chose to believe this or not.

So yesterday I visited some friends of mine who I havent seen too much in the last few years. The convo gets onto Charlton and my mates wife mentions that the senior partner at her work is Godden's old man.

Apparently he wanted to join and everything was agreed and he was certain it was happening only for Stevenage to up the asking price massively at the last min. Don't know the detail but obviously we didn't match it.

His dad fully expects him to join in January.

Well Godden started following Charlton twitter, he was allegedly spotted in the Charlton area and there were rumours that he'd signed.
    Then suddenly we make Dodoo a last ditch signing. So it's likely that the Godden deal fell through on the last day.
  • So I've never claimed to be ITK before so chose to believe this or not.

So yesterday I visited some friends of mine who I havent seen too much in the last few years. The convo gets onto Charlton and my mates wife mentions that the senior partner at her work is Godden's old man.

Apparently he wanted to join and everything was agreed and he was certain it was happening only for Stevenage to up the asking price massively at the last min. Don't know the detail but obviously we didn't match it.

Well Godden started following Charlton twitter, he was allegedly spotted in the Charlton area and there were rumours that he'd signed.
    Then suddenly we make Dodoo a last ditch signing. So it's likely that the Godden deal fell through on the last day.
    What isn't clear I guess was if we would have signed both Godden and Dodoo. I'd like to think both but I'm not sure that's the case.
  • Scoham said:

What isn't clear I guess was if we would have signed both Godden and Dodoo. I'd like to think both but I'm not sure that's the case.
    Well Dodoo obviously wasn't planned so I doubt it, unless Godden plus one other both fell through (and having watched the Sheff U video, it's possible if unlikely).
  • Godden, Sanchez, Coutinho, Lemar ... all big money deals that collapsed on transfer deadline day

I never realised we were in for all this players, although I suspect that if we'd got Sanchez, Coutinho and Lemar we might have passed on Godden.
    But would Sanchez, Coutinho and Lemar be happy playing second fiddle to Ricky Holmes!
  • Robinson has described Dodoo as 'unpredictable'. There speaks a manager who knew what he was getting.
  • Godden, Sanchez, Coutinho, Lemar ... all big money deals that collapsed on transfer deadline day

I never realised we were in for all this players, although I suspect that if we'd got Sanchez, Coutinho and Lemar we might have passed on Godden.
    But would Sanchez, Coutinho and Lemar be happy playing second fiddle to Ricky Holmes!
    Katie, who as we know likes to deal with the transfers is currently in secret talks in bringing Lemarr to the club! The player was asking for a two deal has been told theres a take or leave it 7 year deal, a disconsolate Lemarr pictured leaving SL refused to comment. ;)image
  • Scoham said:

Well Dodoo obviously wasn't planned so I doubt it, unless Godden plus one other both fell through (and having watched the Sheff U video, it's possible if unlikely).
    We're all thinking we need a like-for-like deputy for Josh (and we probably do) as Novak was pencilled in for that role.
    Novak was having none of that and made it clear.

Ever since Tony Watt left, Robinson has been making noises about signing another striker who brings 'something different' and able to play off the shoulder of defenders. Now Dodoo might only have been option B or even C, but that's how he pIays - and I get the impression that he's the squad replacement for Tony Watt, rather than Novak.

• Sponsored links:

• Not sure if this has been mentioned but David Martin has signed for our friends from Bermondsey
  • I'm told Josh Wright wants to come..
  • iamdan said:

I'm told Josh Wright wants to come..

He went to Southend Saturday along with Keiran Richardson.
  • Sage said:

Sign Lambert and Wright to replace Novak and Crofts. Reassess in January and go from there.

Sorted.

What do think Duchatelet is, a multi millionaire or something!
  • edited September 2017
    Richard J said:

iamdan said:

Peter Pan's Playground ?
  • Holmes may have played for Wilder but that was for Northampton. He's playing the best football of his career with us at a higher level than he did for Wilder. Of course there's no guarantee it can be replicated anywhere else in particular Sheff Utd but maybe Charlton and Robinson suits Holmes better than Sheff Utd and Wilder.

And if we can continue our form we could both be in the Championship next season anyway while Sheff Utd will have a challenge to stay up.

Really think it's time for Sheff Utd and Wilder to move on.

• Holmes may have played for Wilder but that was for Northampton. He's playing the best football of his career with us at a higher level than he did for Wilder. Of course there's no guarantee it can be replicated anywhere else in particular Sheff Utd but maybe Charlton and Robinson suits Holmes better than Sheff Utd and Wilder.

And if we can continue our form we could both be in the Championship next season anyway while Sheff Utd will have a challenge to stay up.

Really think it's time for Sheff Utd and Wilder to move on.

Sheff Utd are in the play off places. Yes early days and I don't expect them to stay there admittedly.

If in January we are top 6, I don't doubt he will stay until the end of the season. But he may well fancy a move if we are not. The same comments about the league difference existed during the summer, although it will be better to gauge a finishing position come January.

Anyone else notice he didn't seem particularly pleased about Crofts and Novak leaving. Talked about the squad being a little thin and how he wouldn't have gotten rid of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

iamdan said:

Dave Martin trained with us all summer and went to 1/2 games. I think Southend will be a good fit for him. If Robbo can get a freebie in, would much prefer another striker but think Wright would be good, especially for free and now Crofts has gone.
  • Every club scrambles around on deadline day, I would have kept Novak till January at least however.

It does highlight the stupidity of leaving things until the very end of the transfer window.

Robinson said he wanted to get our business done early and to some extent that happened. But the "last minute" departures of back up strikers and the frantic scrambling for a single replacement (Dodoo on loan) does look unplanned and unwelcome. I wonder just how much say Robbo had in all that and what he really thinks about it.
  • edited September 2017

Anyone else notice he didn't seem particularly pleased about Crofts and Novak leaving. Talked about the squad being a little thin and how he wouldn't have gotten rid of them.

Perhaps Holmes was meaning that we've lost experienced heads?
    In the dressing room as well as on the park.

Although it does seem that both players were agitating for a move and wanted out.

• Oggy Red said:

Although it does seem that both players were agitating for a move and wanted out.

Both players were senior pro's and wanted games. Neither were likely to achieve that at Charlton. Not quite the same as being squeezed out but certainly not integral parts of the squad and both were well aware of that. Game time elsewhere was the best option for both.

No disrespect to Crofts but I doubt his absence will be missed. We have cover there. Novak is slightly different. We did need him replacing and to be fair I think we tried without success. I'm sure Dodoo's six month loan contract indicates that Charlton will look to sign either a player they missed out on or will target someone else in January. Not ideal but if we get lucky with Josh staying fit and Dodoo having an impact then we might get through until the next window.
  • Sheffield Wednesday used to play their reserve games at Rotherham, so its really close to Sheffield. I wouldn't be surprised if both Sheffield clubs have a "presence" at most of Rotherhams matches. They were after him in the summer, its not like they were going to see him for the first time to see how he played. Rubbish easy journalism
  • Oggy Red said:

Yeah possibly, he did say about them being experience headsd. I got the feeling he felt the departures has left us short though and didn't seem particularly happy.
  • Hayes spent a lot of time at the training ground with the academy before getting his recent coaching license which I believe was a Pro or UEFA A.

Had been working with David who I believe is in charge of the younger age groups. Always nice to see a professional having their kids follow into the game, even if they don't make it.
  • Paul Hayes is now an academy coach at the club so makes sense