Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Leuth said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

She'll be sacked soon and then onto the next calamity within our political system and people.

If it's not Boris putting his size 12's in it, Corbyn employing convicted fraudsters or all manner of politicians being accused of inappropriate behaviour. The whole system grates on my nerves most of the time. I'm sure there are very good and honest politicians but they don't seem to be showing their faces an awful lot right now.....

Can you elaborate on the Corbyn charge? Can't find any recent news on this one.
    Reported in last night's standard and I can see that the Telegraph & Mail also carried it. Convicted in 2006, Marsha-Jane Thompson having attempted to add 100 voter registrations in Newham which she completed and signed herself.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-gives-job-as-campaign-chief-to-leftwinger-guilty-of-voter-fraud-a3684296.html

Well, that's terrible. Within the last 15 years and wrongly enfranchising a whole hundred people in a borough of several hundred thousand. Corbyn should resign instantly. This is probably the worst oversight by a politician since appeasement
    While I agree this is false equivalence, can you not see potential scandal in appointing a person convicted of voter fraud? You looking at the situation so flippantly is as ridiculous as the initial comparison.
    Meanwhile, Liam Fox has a senior job in the cabinet, in spite of everything he’s previously been involved in.

It’s considerably more offensive that someone of his calibre is anywhere near the levers of power in this country, putting it mildly
    Absolutely agree, his career should have been over in 2011
  • Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

She'll be sacked soon and then onto the next calamity within our political system and people.

If it's not Boris putting his size 12's in it, Corbyn employing convicted fraudsters or all manner of politicians being accused of inappropriate behaviour. The whole system grates on my nerves most of the time. I'm sure there are very good and honest politicians but they don't seem to be showing their faces an awful lot right now.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/07/jeremy-corbyn-appoints-convicted-criminal-parliamentary-office/

agree it's not the crime of the century, but just shows the sheer state of our whole political system and those in it, whichever side you now sit, did sit etc. She also (according to the article) was a big supporter of the former mayor of Tower Hamlets.
  • @Leuth for the record, I was just sharing the story as had been requested by @Fiiish.

I agree that this is a non-story for a number of the reasons already well noted by @Fiiish, but I also wouldn't flippantly disregard it. Whilst I think there's no issue with her taking and doing the job she now has, I would have reservations about anyone that supported Lutfer Rahman...that's definitely a misjudgement that needs to be learned from.
  • edited November 2017
    Fiiish said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

Reported in last night's standard and I can see that the Telegraph & Mail also carried it. Convicted in 2006, Marsha-Jane Thompson having attempted to add 100 voter registrations in Newham which she completed and signed herself.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-gives-job-as-campaign-chief-to-leftwinger-guilty-of-voter-fraud-a3684296.html

Thanks.

I have no initial problem with this. Happened over 11 years ago, conviction is spent and she has been quite open with her past and has not been involved in any transgressions since. Should she have been given a lifelong ban from all public activities or do we believe in a society of rehabilitation and redemption? Should the ex Bullingdon lot be banned from Parliament due to their activities?
    And just like that, we're talking about the sins of The Bullingdon Club. It's that easy.....

Anyway, back to topic. It's far too late for the Conservative Party to change. At the last general election, I did not vote and felt completely disenfranchised by what was on offer. Since then, the Tories have gone from bad to worse and are now heading towards oblivion.

Brexit will happen on the Conservatives' watch and, IMO, it will be a complete disaster. They will, quite correctly, be blamed by the electorate at the next General Election and might well suffer a hammering even worse than the one the Liberal Democrats suffered post coalition.

Change is now no longer an option. What they need is a whole root and branch re-invention of the party and what they stand for. Certainly a new name would be a start. If you like, a bit like the transformation of old Labour into New Labour (and, now back again, of course.) That can only happen out of office, if at all. But by then it will be too late for them: they might well be as relevant to UK politics as the old Liberal Party became after the 1918 election. Asquith's Liberals went from having 272 seats to 36! With the leader himself losing his seat.

Again, IMO, this country is now in desperate need of the birth of a new centrist political party. Something not run by that silly old duffer Vince Cable, obviously. (What would the English equivalent of La République En Marche! be? Something complete with exclamation mark would seem sensible! Answers on a postcard please to Conservative Central Office.

Without something dramatic happening, we are going to be saddled with 5 years of extreme left-wing insanity which will finish off the job of destroying the country's economic base that the Tories have so ably started.
  • edited November 2017

Leuth said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

Well, that's terrible. Within the last 15 years and wrongly enfranchising a whole hundred people in a borough of several hundred thousand. Corbyn should resign instantly. This is probably the worst oversight by a politician since appeasement
    While I agree this is false equivalence, can you not see potential scandal in appointing a person convicted of voter fraud? You looking at the situation so flippantly is as ridiculous as the initial comparison.
    Meanwhile, Liam Fox has a senior job in the cabinet, in spite of everything he’s previously been involved in.

It’s considerably more offensive that someone of his calibre is anywhere near the levers of power in this country, putting it mildly
    At least it is a relatively unimportant cabinet post, I'll see your fox and raise you Hunt in charge of the NHS. Every time he talks about it I can't help that remember he wrote a policy book in 2005 where he suggested replacing it with an insurance based model.

https://whatwouldvirchowdo.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/direct_democracy___an_agenda_for_a_new_model_party.pdf
  • Now being reported that No.10 TOLD Patel NOT to include more meetings with Israeli officials, specifically with foreign ministry official - Yuval Rotem - in New York on 18 September, as it would embarrass the FCO.

More importantly, that May knew about the meetings well before she has been saying and that No.10 has been misleading reporters all week on this.

• cafcfan said:

Fiiish said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

Thanks.

I have no initial problem with this. Happened over 11 years ago, conviction is spent and she has been quite open with her past and has not been involved in any transgressions since. Should she have been given a lifelong ban from all public activities or do we believe in a society of rehabilitation and redemption? Should the ex Bullingdon lot be banned from Parliament due to their activities?
    And just like that, we're talking about the sins of The Bullingdon Club. It's that easy.....

Anyway, back to topic. It's far too late for the Conservative Party to change. At the last general election, I did not vote and felt completely disenfranchised by what was on offer. Since then, the Tories have gone from bad to worse and are now heading towards oblivion.

Brexit will happen on the Conservatives' watch and, IMO, it will be a complete disaster. They will, quite correctly, be blamed by the electorate at the next General Election and might well suffer a hammering even worse than the one the Liberal Democrats suffered post coalition.

Change is now no longer an option. What they need is a whole root and branch re-invention of the party and what they stand for. Certainly a new name would be a start. If you like, a bit like the transformation of old Labour into New Labour (and, now back again, of course.) That can only happen out of office, if at all. But by then it will be too late for them: they might well be as relevant to UK politics as the old Liberal Party became after the 1918 election. Asquith's Liberals went from having 272 seats to 36! With the leader himself losing his seat.

Again, IMO, this country is now in desperate need of the birth of a new centrist political party. Something not run by that silly old duffer Vince Cable, obviously. (What would the English equivalent of La République En Marche! be? Something complete with exclamation mark would seem sensible! Answers on a postcard please to Conservative Central Office.

Without something dramatic happening, we are going to be saddled with 5 years of extreme left-wing insanity which will finish off the job of destroying the country's economic base that the Tories have so ably started.
    That's an incredible thought. Could Brexit be the end of the Tories? Given the complete disaster it is turning out to be, could voters in this lifetime forgive them? Especially with the younger generation leaning more progressively than before.
  • The governments moribund.
  • So Patel might be sacked for not telling the government about holiday meetings they knew about. Yet every version of events conflicts with the other versions.
    What was that about chaos?
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

cafcfan said:

Fiiish said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

Thanks.

That's an incredible thought. Could Brexit be the end of the Tories? Given the complete disaster it is turning out to be, could voters in this lifetime forgive them? Especially with the younger generation leaning more progressively than before.
    I think it's likely to have an effect but it'll be a multitude of incompetence's that ultimately bring about their downfall although I do think there is still currently a large amount of people who will vote Tory almost regardless of what happens/happened.

Very good post @cafcfan - the futures not bright thats for sure.
  • cafcfan said:

Fiiish said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

Thanks.

I'd put Vince head and shoulders above Corbyn, Abbott, May, Johnson and the majority of the rest of them.
    It seems the electorate are quick to criticise the right and the left with endlessly tedious tired old cliches, but still vote en masse for their loved party over the hated party whilst ignoring the middle way.
    We get what we deserve.
  • cafcfan said:

Fiiish said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

Thanks.

I'd put Vince head and shoulders above Corbyn, Abbott, May, Johnson and the majority of the rest of them.
    It seems the electorate are quick to criticise the right and the left with endlessly tedious tired old cliches, but still vote en masse for their loved party over the hated party whilst ignoring the middle way.
    We get what we deserve.
    Uum, okay but assuming, by some miracle, the Tories hang on to power until 5 May 2022, Vince would be celebrating his 79th birthday four days after coming into power. Or, he'd be 84 come the following election. This is well past retirement age, even by Conservative Party expectations.
  • TelMc32 said:

Oops...she's flying back now.

Bye, bye Priti.

This is actually quite satisfying to watch...

Now revealed that she also visited the Golan Heights...which U.K. Gov does not recognise!
    Apparently, there are over 22,000 people currently tracking flight KQ100 en route to London!!

Good to know that us CL users aren't the only slackers on the internet all day!! No wonder productivity in this country is shocking!!! :wink:
  • Last poll that I saw was dated 24 October, but had the Tories and Labour neck-and-neck on 42 points, Lib Dems down on 7. For all the tory troubles, it doesn't look like Corbyn is making headway (labour have their own issues) unlike Blair who at least appealed to centre/centre right voters. The lib dems are finished, as are UKIP. Depressing times.
  • edited November 2017
    McBobbin said:

Last poll that I saw was dated 24 October, but had the Tories and Labour neck-and-neck on 42 points, Lib Dems down on 7. For all the tory troubles, it doesn't look like Corbyn is making headway (labour have their own issues) unlike Blair who at least appealed to centre/centre right voters. The lib dems are finished, as are UKIP. Depressing times.

Four polls since Oct 20 (with the most recent published five days ago): three of them have Labour ahead by two points and one had them neck and neck.

Would be interesting to see some polling results after the week the Tories have had.
  • McBobbin said:

Last poll that I saw was dated 24 October, but had the Tories and Labour neck-and-neck on 42 points, Lib Dems down on 7. For all the tory troubles, it doesn't look like Corbyn is making headway (labour have their own issues) unlike Blair who at least appealed to centre/centre right voters. The lib dems are finished, as are UKIP. Depressing times.

Four polls since Oct 20 (with the most recent published five days ago): three of them have Labour ahead by two points and one had them neck and neck.

Would be interesting to see some polling results after the week the Tories have had.
    I don't think it matters what the polls say right now. There's a lot of water to pass under bridge before the next election - assuming, that is, that this Government lasts the full term. They have a lot of time to turn things around, particularly when there is no strong party around. Anything can happen.
  • McBobbin said:

I don't think it matters what the polls say right now. There's a lot of water to pass under bridge before the next election - assuming, that is, that this Government lasts the full term. They have a lot of time to turn things around, particularly when there is no strong party around. Anything can happen.
    Curbs 16/1
  • McBobbin said:

The polls were really useful in the run up to the last election, I have to say ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• They don’t need to change as by the skin of their teeth they’re still in charge (sort of).
    It’s labour that need to change perhaps to regain power.
  • Priti Patel is gonna get thrown under the bus on this one in a classic case of Dead Cat On The Table
    It's baffling that the tory party machine is so keen to deflect from the fucktard oxygen thief foreign secretary's latest dereliction of duty but the real offence here is elements in their upper echelons cosying up to such a loathsome regime.
    Trump-esque flagrancy and stupidity
    Tory conspiratory malevolence is as usual undone by its stultifying combination of complacency and idiocy, once again caught in the act and making a monumental balls of the cover up.
    Work hard people, buy British whenever possible, save your money as best you can, cos with this special crop of self-serving morons at the tiller, no credible opposition leadership: brexit will be a disaster, more and more of this juvenile chicanery will be exposed, GB will become an international political laughing stock, the economy will tank, inflation, unemployment and waiting lists will all soar and we won't even get to vote for an alternative (!) for another 54 months.
    Merry Christmas
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Fiiish said:

TelMc32 said:

Fiiish said:

Rob7Lee said:

Thanks.

We get what we deserve.
    Uum, okay but assuming, by some miracle, the Tories hang on to power until 5 May 2022, Vince would be celebrating his 79th birthday four days after coming into power. Or, he'd be 84 come the following election. This is well past retirement age, even by Conservative Party expectations.
    At that age you qualify to go and play in Serie A
  • McBobbin said:

The polls were really useful in the run up to the last election, I have to say ;-)
    Well, even though they were not all that accurate, there hasn't been much appreciable movement in the polls since the last election. Labour generally, ahead, but not be much. With the gathering s***storm, you'd maybe think Labour would storm ahead. But they have been caught up in the harassment scandal, and aren't exactly a leading light on brexit either, since they have voters on both sides of the divide.
  • McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Well, even though they were not all that accurate, there hasn't been much appreciable movement in the polls since the last election. Labour generally, ahead, but not be much. With the gathering s***storm, you'd maybe think Labour would storm ahead. But they have been caught up in the harassment scandal, and aren't exactly a leading light on brexit either, since they have voters on both sides of the divide.
    To be honest Corbyn is keeping his head down as far as is possible. He couldn’t be doing any better a job of clocking up opinion poll points than just sitting and watching the Tories implode in front of our very eyes.

• Priti Patel and Bojo have both behaved appallingly and deserve to be sacked.
  • Priti Patel and Bojo have both behaved appallingly and deserve to be sacked.

Media focusing on Patel, while Johnson should also be getting it with all barrels. He should never have been made Foreign Secretary. I am struggling to think of someone with a worse CV - bar Roy Hodgson & David Moyes maybe - and so inappropriate for such a job!
  • Don’t worry. Boris is as I write learning the words to Abdul Abulbul Ameer in readiness for his trip to Iran. Seems like a jolly jape.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!