Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• If the Tory rebels get their way and Boris becomes PM with Gove as deputy and the Moggster as Chancellor everything will be okay.

Not sure Uncle Rupert is that keen on Johnson. Can’t imagine Moggie being his cup of tea either. Gove is his man so he is not to be discounted totally.
  • I thought the received wisdom was that whilst Boris is beloved by the membership he is despised by (a large amount of) Tory MPs. Which would make it unlikely he would ever get on the final ticket, if he did he would probably win.

By the same token any remainer/moderate on the final ticket would be unlikely to win as the Tory membership is to the right. Any winner would have to be palatable to both sides of the Tory party which is why we have the current fudge of TM and why the rush to replace her isn't overwhelming.
  • I should add that it breaks my heart to see the Tory party tearing itself apart.

Don't worry - Moggy will save the day.
  • edited February 2018
    I get the impression that some of the current lot were quite inspired by watching Spitting Image in the 80s and didn't realise it was satire, and decided to craft a public image by being a caricature.
  • I get the impression that some of the current lot were quite inspired by watching Spitting Image in the 80s and didn't realise it was satire, and decided to craft a public image by being a caricature.

Rees-Mogg and Boris would make superb puppets.
  • I should add that it breaks my heart to see the Tory party tearing itself apart.

Don't worry - Moggy will save the day.
    One can but hope.
  • edited February 2018
    What is happening now is what I said would happen. You have two sides in the Conservative party. The Brexiters were an annoyance a few years ago, but the referendum has given them power. The problem for them is, the vote was close and they know that Brexit is still not a certainty. Whilst polls are showing Remainers and Brexiters are around 50/50 over the population, they are also showing a clear majority want a soft Brexit. The Brexiters want a hard Brexit. The Remainers in the party see a hard Brexit as a disaster and would prefer no Brexit at all. They will do all they can to prevent Brexit.

May has a foot in both camps. She was a bit like Corbyn in that she was a reluctant Remainer who kept her head down in the referendum. She is the only person who can keep both sides of her party together, but even doing that is precarious. If she goes too far one way or the other, she is shot down by either side. Her weakness - post election, is used and exploited. The closer we get to Brexit, the closer the Conservative party will be to outright civil war. If May goes, both sides will fight for their candidates. It won't be pretty.

A fear from within the party is that the Conservative party is in danger of becoming UKIP. This is an incredibly dangerous period for the party and I think Anna Soubry understands that the party does need to kick out a few prominant Brexiters. But they have too much power. The question is how many Tory remainers feel as strongly as Soubry and Clarke. There doesn't need to be that many and I think we are close to an election.

The counter argument to an election is that Corbyn's Labour party is not offering the opportunity to remain in the EU. But if the election provides a massive backlash against Brexit - the Labour party does not have the rabid Brexiters who have so much power in the Conservative party. Having a vote on any agreed deal will probably be much easier to acheive. The Labour party won't offer it as it will lose them votes, but if the Tory remainers see no other way, they will take their chances on that. people should be under no illusions about that.

• Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    It's not that surprising, tbh, there's still a ton of people that will not, under any circumstance, vote for Corbyn.
  • stonemuse said:
    So what will they do? Call a snap election! May is caught between two irreconcilable outcomes for Brexit and the leaks clearly show the cost of a hard Brexit. M.Barnier is putting the heat on and they will only offer a Canada deal if the UK government doesn't put forward a clear position.

Some believe that the government will collapse in the Autumn. Perhaps that's why Corbyn et al aren't rushing to offer solutions. Three years have been wasted on this nonsense so far (including 2018) perhaps another two if the Tories squeeze through the next gate.

But many cannot see them remaining intact this year. Anna Soubry said that she would walk if Johnson/Gove/Mogg takeover. How many others are thinking same?

May has another few months before she has to call it either way. As posted last year, the Tories don't need to change, just die off! Perhaps break into two parties, UKIP mark 2 and a centre right mob in the conservative tradition?
  • Yer, Lid Dems 8%!? WTF......

I think @Stu_of_Kunming makes a good point, the floaters who only vote for one of the major two there's still a lot who wouldn't vote for Corbyn under almost any circumstances (I include myself in that group) despite the Tories being as bad as they've been for probably 20 years.

@MuttleyCAFC favourite Survation has labour still ahead by 3 points although down 2% (Tories up 3%).
  • edited February 2018

stonemuse said:
    It's not that surprising, tbh, there's still a ton of people that will not, under any circumstance, vote for Corbyn.
    43% of our country are literally fascists :-)
  • Maybe Labour supporters are learning a thing or two from their enemies and going 'silent' in the polls ;)
  • Survation are not my favourite, just the only pollsters who have been shown to be reliable in recent years. It is just a point of fact.
  • Also, don't forget that UKIP have basically imploded. Not many of those sorts voting Labour.
  • UKIP have merged with the Tory party as far as I can tell!
  • Leuth said:

Also, don't forget that UKIP have basically imploded. Not many of those sorts voting Labour.

Wasn’t many voting UKIP either last time out.

• They were never really separate. The militant Eurosceptic wing of the Tories
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd never trust a single poll. Not saying the above poll doesn't reflect current thinking, but crazy outlying polls don't tend to indicate an underlying trend
  • I can get my head around why some people would not want to vote for Corbyn, but I can't get my head around why so many people would vote Tory*.

*usual caveats about reliability of polls.
  • I can get my head around why some people would not want to vote for Corbyn, but I can't get my head around why so many people would vote Tory*.

if you don't want Corbyn in No.10 under any circumstances then voting Tory is the only way to ensure he doesn't get the keys

if you don't want Corbyn in No.10 under any circumstances then voting Tory is the only way to ensure he doesn't get the keys
    Then that shows the idiocy of our first past the post system.
  • Leuth said:

Also, don't forget that UKIP have basically imploded. Not many of those sorts voting Labour.

The amount of Brexit voters in traditional Labour heartlands might suggest otherwise. As do the actual post-election stats.

Clearly the Tories gained more from the UKIP implosion, but let's not pretend the Labour party gained nothing.

https://www.ft.com/content/dac3a3b2-4ad7-11e7-919a-1e14ce4af89b

This, there’s no way the Tories increased their vote as they did because more people agreed with them/liked them more than last time.
  • Leuth said:

The amount of Brexit voters in traditional Labour heartlands might suggest otherwise. As do the actual post-election stats.

Clearly the Tories gained more from the UKIP implosion, but let's not pretend the Labour party gained nothing.

So the votes up for grabs from the implosion of UKIP predominantly went to the Tories so in effect it made the Tories stronger. Labour did indeed gain nothing.

• Leuth said:

So the votes up for grabs from the implosion of UKIP predominantly went to the Tories so in effect it made the Tories stronger. Labour did indeed gain nothing.

If they had gained nothing the defeat would have been even worse.

I suppose it's just easier for some people to believe only right wing nut jobs voted for brexit, the reality is quite different though.
  • edited February 2018
    I would be quite happy for a coalition government led by Corbyn. For that to happen, the swing from the last election doesn't have to be very large at all and Labour doesn't even need more votes than the Conservatives. :)

I think it is very important that the Conservatives are not too far behind in the polls, neck and neck is preferable, as for there to be an early election, a Conservative rebellion is required. Happy for the gap to build during the campaign.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!