Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• It’s people like Rees-Mogg who if they had there way would make abortion illegal and drive the whole abortion issue back underground and into the back streets and be fully responsible for the inevitable resulting deaths and tragedies.

People like him make me sick.
  • Rob7Lee said:

The landscape has changed compared to 15/20 years ago with gangs and this type of criminality and we haven't kept up. You probably need 1,000’s of police indoors monitoring social media as much as you need them on the streets as well as that's where all but the odd case it is planned.

Lack of youth services and the like will probably have played a bigger part than police numbers having reduced, but it's ludicrous for politicians to try to say it wouldn't have had some impact whether that is saving 1 life or 49.

But you could put a bobby on every street corner 24/7, it would lower the numbers slightly maybe but it wouldn't eradicate the issue as it would simply happen elsewhere/underground.

The answer as always is to educate and change the mindset, not simply to try to move the issue elsewhere or push it underground. We didn't reduce dramatically 'armed bank hold up's' by policing it, CCTV, the sentencing term for armed robbery as well as the fact that most bank (and other places like shops and bookmakers) reduced holding the size of monies they held in a till meant for single figure thousands with a sentence of 10 years minimum to life has reduced it dramatically.

Sadly I think we are in a time where this will get worse before it gets better as it's a whole myriad of matters that have brought the situation to where it is and will take time and a concerted effort from society as a whole to even begin to dramatically reduce the number of unnecessary deaths.

How would violent crime go on 'underground', exactly?

They've just announced a whole raft of funding to address criminality on the dark web, perhaps we will see a reduction in teenage knifings now? Hint: no we won't.

Anyone who can say, with a straight face, that falling police numbers has nothing to do with rising crime is either deluded or a liar. They also do a disservice to people that have to wait 2 days for police to visit after a burglary or to people who have their cars or parts stolen and simply get a reference number over the phone for insurance and nothing else. Amber Rudd is a company woman and simply wants to continue Teresa May's assault on civil liberties at the expense of the victims of physical crime.
    How would violent crime go on 'underground', exactly?

I don't mean literally, maybe a better phrase would have been 'off the streets'

The lad who was killed recently in Walthstow "masked attackers exited a car and shot him point blank in the face". Clearly had there have been 3 armed officers on that street at that time nearby it is unlikely they would have exited the car and committed the crime. But that's not to say were police on every other London street corner they wouldn't have committed the cowardly act at another time/place - in a shop, a park, in a stairwell, on a train, in a night club or indeed in the guys own home.

The dark web has nothing to do with these murders, much like the drug trade which itself has changed considerably in the last 20 years.

This is quite a good article.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/a3yn4e/why-londons-teenagers-are-killing-each-other

Some forms of crimes having risen maybe in part due to lower police numbers, but they won't be the sole reason. Much like when numbers have fallen it wasn't solely to do with increasing police numbers.
  • All the Tories have to do to win back MY trust is drop some heavy ordnance on the Levant
  • Just in case you need a bit of a reminder about Amber Rudd.
    Not exactly the champion of free speech huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHsLIEXruI
  • Leuth said:

All the Tories have to do to win back MY trust is drop some heavy ordnance on the Levant

'Win back'. Riiiiiight
  • https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-labour-investigation-block-flats-parliament-standards-financial-interests-mistakes-a8302361.html

Screw parliamentary investigation, what hunt’s done is literally criminal. How about a criminal investigation?
  • https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-labour-investigation-block-flats-parliament-standards-financial-interests-mistakes-a8302361.html

Screw parliamentary investigation, what hunt’s done is literally criminal. How about a criminal investigation?

But a Downing Street spokesman said that "We consider the matter closed" surely they can't be wrong.

But a Downing Street spokesman said that "We consider the matter closed" surely they can't be wrong.
    Hunt must have some pics of may in bed with trump or something. Didn’t she try and sack him and he refused in her reshuffle? This would’ve been prime opportunity to make him resign.
  • Sponsored links:

• How anyone with half a brain can support this lot who are just screwing our country up is beyond me.
  • I worked for the NHS so am no fan of Hunt but exactly what has he to gain from non disclosure of his involvement? Certainly he has failed a procedure either knowingly or as he has stated because of an error on his part but what was his motive if he knowingly failed to disclose.

It’s a genuine question as I have no idea.
  • I worked for the NHS so am no fan of Hunt but exactly what has he to gain from non disclosure of his involvement? Certainly he has failed a procedure either knowingly or as he has stated because of an error on his part but what was his motive if he knowingly failed to disclose.

If it was on purpose could it have been done so as not to coincide with some sort of unpopular announcement by the Government? Maybe a cut to budgets etc. Releasing this then would have gone down even worse than it already has.

Save on taxes?
  • It seems to indicate that his accountant 'forgot' to send the form off to Companies House and that he did declare it to the relevant department (Cabinet office?) when the company was set up who informed him as it was a shell company with no assets or any value it only needed to be registered when it became operational (which I guess was wrong advice).

IF that's all true it seems a storm in a teacup. Like SHG & Colthe3rd reply, I can't see any reason to intentionally withhold the info unless it was at the same time as an unpopular announcement.

Hunt must have some pics of may in bed with trump or something. Didn’t she try and sack him and he refused in her reshuffle? This would’ve been prime opportunity to make him resign.
    She tried to move him to business I believe, but he was able to refuse partly due to May's weak position and partly due to him being Tory royalty.
  • edited April 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

It seems to indicate that his accountant 'forgot' to send the form off to Companies House and that he did declare it to the relevant department (Cabinet office?) when the company was set up who informed him as it was a shell company with no assets or any value it only needed to be registered when it became operational (which I guess was wrong advice).

IF that's all true it seems a storm in a teacup. Like SHG & Colthe3rd reply, I can't see any reason to intentionally withhold the info unless it was at the same time as an unpopular announcement.

He needs to be whiter than white though, if you can afford seven luxury properties, you can afford to double check the minutiae of parliamentary procedure. Why not declare it just in case - I am sure even he isn't involved in such transactions on such a regular basis that he loses track?

If he is too stupid to realise that, is he a suitable person to be a member of the cabinet?

• I don’t think he’s a suitable person at all but I’m not sure this latest “scandal” is the reason why.
  • I don’t think he’s a suitable person at all but I’m not sure this latest “scandal” is the reason why.

Agreed - it is part of a mountain of evidence though, SHG...
  • I can't stand the slimy c*** but in this instance his excuse is plausible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:

Yer, Lid Dems 8%!? WTF......

I think @Stu_of_Kunming makes a good point, the floaters who only vote for one of the major two there's still a lot who wouldn't vote for Corbyn under almost any circumstances (I include myself in that group) despite the Tories being as bad as they've been for probably 20 years.

@MuttleyCAFC favourite Survation has labour still ahead by 3 points although down 2% (Tories up 3%).

With the polls effectively tied what really matters is the actual campaign and turn out rate. We all saw a May campaign destroy a 25 point lead!

So the millenial vote is now galvanized thanks to seven years of austerity plus tax cuts for corporations and the Brexit vote. Even without Brexit chaos May would lose because she's a busted flush.

Perhaps a new leader would change things lol. Or perhaps the Tories prefer meaningless flannel punctuated with attacks on the pillars of the establishment from the likes of Rees Mogg?

The Corbyn alternative is a social democratic manifesto (mk 2 TBC) which will be launched into social media via 550,000 paid up members and associated organisations.

GDP has gone up over seven years but real pay has flatlined. GDP is now going up more slowly.

Despite being the seventh biggest economy on the planet (we were the 5th) sick people are stuck in hospital corridors and ambulances, the Brexit NHS dividend was a lie and inflation / travel costs are going up.

You state that you won't ever vote for Corbyn, so what?! There are plenty of Tories who won't vote and plenty who will vote tactically against this chaos. For the first time in living memory the Cabinet is actively considering options to reduce GDP growth and associated tax revenues and destabilise the Irish peace.

Well done lads. Well f**king done!
    There are also a lot of people who will vote Corbyn who wouldn't have voted for anyone else before... I know a few in my extended family. Posh leftie young folk mainly. Not to be sniffed at.
  • edited April 2018

Rob7Lee said:

It seems to indicate that his accountant 'forgot' to send the form off to Companies House and that he did declare it to the relevant department (Cabinet office?) when the company was set up who informed him as it was a shell company with no assets or any value it only needed to be registered when it became operational (which I guess was wrong advice).

He needs to be whiter than white though, if you can afford seven luxury properties, you can afford to double check the minutiae of parliamentary procedure. Why not declare it just in case - I am sure even he isn't involved in such transactions on such a regular basis that he loses track?

If he is too stupid to realise that, is he a suitable person to be a member of the cabinet?

A dumb thing to (forget to) do. Perhaps he had other things on his mind......

That said I've always thought the term "luxury flat" was a dichotomy. Still I suppose it sounds better than pokey studio next to a yacht basin with the horrendous noise of all the wind generators and masts clanking away 24/7.

The other thing is he probably can't afford seven luxury flats which is why Mare Pond Properties Limited has exactly that number of charges to Svenska Handelsbanken Ab. He probably can't even afford the monthly mortgage repayments on these gaffs without contributions from the tenants.
  • I love the joined up thinking of the government https://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2018/apr/13/ive-been-an-nhs-doctor-for-five-years-the-home-office-wants-to-deport-me

Maybe JHunt was really busy arguing the case for much needed staff and that is why he forgot to mention the seven luxury flats he had purchased.
  • Amber Rudd has delivered an unprecedented apology for the “appalling” actions of her own department towards Windrush-era citizens, acknowledging that the Home Office had “lost sight of individuals” and become “too concerned with policy”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/16/theresa-may-caribbean-representatives-windrush-immigration

So that is her department working to rule changes brought about by Theresa May when she was Home Secretary , shouldn't the buck stop very firmly with those two.
  • edited April 2018
    I have defended Corbyn against being an anti-semite and I will defend this government against the charge of racism. The problem here is a lack of flexibility and forgetting that people are involved. When you take a step back, you can see how it might be hard for people to provide the evidence being asked of them. And it is a trait of the modern times we live in that nobody can apply common sense and empathy and override the rules.

It is prevelant everywhere - these are our rules no buts, no common sense arguments, these are our rules even if they don't make sense or are unfair. It is deeply distressing that people have been treated in this way, but if we blame the wrong thing, people of all races will be treated badly in future. Applying common sense to all rules is the answer.
  • There's no excuse for this, they should hang their heads in shame for allowing it to happen.

I don't think their is any racial motivation though. It follows the law change in 2012 where employers have to check, landlords have to check, if you wish to apply for benefits or to gain healthcare access etc you are required to have the relevant documentation. This wasn't brought in for the windrush generation but they have been harshly effected by it. It also stems back to the early 70's when everyone was given indefinite leave to remain yet no paperwork was issued to that effect, had the paperwork been issued this would never have arisen (yet the law would still have been brought in).

I've changed jobs a few times since 2012 and have always had to show passport etc, never had to before that since I started work in 1989.

It's clumsy, stupid, unforgivable and down right insulting yes, but this isn't about race IMHO.
  • If these were white Australians, kiwis or South Africans I can bet your nelly this would have been sorted a long time ago.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!