Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• cafcfan said:

McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Brexit is going to be a car crash, just a matter of is it going to be just a minor knock or a full on economical write off.

I'm not so sure any government would be making a wonderful deal of it all, but we'll never know unless theres a further general election prior but that looks less and less likely now. I suspect Brexit is more likely to be the catalyst for a change of government than anything else the tories and/or labour do.

If somehow brexit goes well then that will do the Tories a massive favour and probably see of Corbyn, if not it'll help Labour and if he's still around make Corbyn a more likely candidate to win the next election.

All that said, are the under 25's looking forward to their 10k bonus and the pensioners paying NI again?

Pensioners paying NI you say. Well for the Tories that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. As for Labour, well haven't Messrs Corbyn and McDonnell promised we won't be worse off unless we rake in more than 70k?
    Think it was under 80k they pledged that under a Labour government there would be no increase in the standard rate of VAT, income tax or personal national insurance contributions for the duration of the next parliament.

heres the report; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44029808

It's just a suggestion by the Resolution Foundation;

1. Give £10,000 to all young adults at the age of 25, funded by a new "lifetime receipts tax" that would replace inheritance tax

2. Scrap council tax and replace it with a new property tax targeting wealthier homeowners

3. Use the proceeds from property tax reform to halve stamp duty for first-time buyers and increase public funding for social care

4. Make earnings of those above state pension age subject to National Insurance contributions

I don't believe for one minute either party would introduce it.
    David Willets, as part of the resolution foundation, is a pretty smart guy. When he was in charge of universities, they actually liked him which is impressive as he must be an evil Tory, and they must be pinko commies who don't live in the real world. Seriously though, willets wrote a book about how baby boomers have stolen the future from millennials. Whether or not that's true, it's not surprising they came up with ideas like this.

They aren't awful ideas... At least they are trying to tackle significant problems such as the housing and care crises
    2. We already know, thanks to the bonkers LibDems' idea about a "Mansion (sic) Tax", that many people are asset rich/cash poor. How do these people pay the extra tax?

3. There would be no proceeds - just desperate people trying to sell property that nobody wants to fund their extra tax (NI) bill (see 4). And, in any event, how many first-time buyers pay much stamp duty? It doesn't exist on property sales under £300k and is on a reduced rate under £500k.

Willets has clearly lost (at least) one of his two brains.
    Not sure these are good solutions to all the issues, however, I'm not at all clear why anyone would need to sell a property to pay a tax based on employment income.
    And I think the extra income from property taxes is from the reform of council tax to make it reflect property values, rather than from stamp duty
  • I'm so glad this thread turned into a discussion about Labour again. Whataboutism at it's finest.

The thread started as a whataboutism from the Labour thread that is now closed because of anti semitism. Otherwise it would be posted there.
  • I'm so glad this thread turned into a discussion about Labour again. Whataboutism at it's finest.

The thread started as a whataboutism from the Labour thread that is now closed because of anti semitism. Otherwise it would be posted there.
    Was that really the reason it was closed? Who was being antisemitic?
  • cafcfan said:

McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Brexit is going to be a car crash, just a matter of is it going to be just a minor knock or a full on economical write off.

I'm not so sure any government would be making a wonderful deal of it all, but we'll never know unless theres a further general election prior but that looks less and less likely now. I suspect Brexit is more likely to be the catalyst for a change of government than anything else the tories and/or labour do.

If somehow brexit goes well then that will do the Tories a massive favour and probably see of Corbyn, if not it'll help Labour and if he's still around make Corbyn a more likely candidate to win the next election.

All that said, are the under 25's looking forward to their 10k bonus and the pensioners paying NI again?

Pensioners paying NI you say. Well for the Tories that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. As for Labour, well haven't Messrs Corbyn and McDonnell promised we won't be worse off unless we rake in more than 70k?
    Think it was under 80k they pledged that under a Labour government there would be no increase in the standard rate of VAT, income tax or personal national insurance contributions for the duration of the next parliament.

1. Give £10,000 to all young adults at the age of 25, funded by a new "lifetime receipts tax" that would replace inheritance tax

2. Scrap council tax and replace it with a new property tax targeting wealthier homeowners

3. Use the proceeds from property tax reform to halve stamp duty for first-time buyers and increase public funding for social care

4. Make earnings of those above state pension age subject to National Insurance contributions

David Willets, as part of the resolution foundation, is a pretty smart guy. When he was in charge of universities, they actually liked him which is impressive as he must be an evil Tory, and they must be pinko commies who don't live in the real world. Seriously though, willets wrote a book about how baby boomers have stolen the future from millennials. Whether or not that's true, it's not surprising they came up with ideas like this.

They aren't awful ideas... At least they are trying to tackle significant problems such as the housing and care crises
    2. We already know, thanks to the bonkers LibDems' idea about a "Mansion (sic) Tax", that many people are asset rich/cash poor. How do these people pay the extra tax?

3. There would be no proceeds - just desperate people trying to sell property that nobody wants to fund their extra tax (NI) bill (see 4). And, in any event, how many first-time buyers pay much stamp duty? It doesn't exist on property sales under £300k and is on a reduced rate under £500k.

Well, quite. We could just keep the status quo of course, because that's clearly working.

I think part of the point 2. Is that people might have to downsize. Should they have to? Be nice if they didn't. But lots of young people have to up sticks because they can't afford to live in a distorted property market.

Part 3. Yeah, agreed.

Part 4. We are (hopefully) all going to live to a ripe old age, and with that comes increasing costs. Got to be paid for somehow. I appreciate pensioners have paid tax all their working lives but that was to pay for their parents and grandparents pensions, not theirs.

Any better ideas? (Mine usually end up as some sort of a cull... Politically difficult at best)

Was that really the reason it was closed? Who was being antisemitic?
    I can't remember who it was but comparison between israel and the nazis after that it got closed.
  • kentaddick and I were having a spirited but fair discussion, then I left and all hell broke loose ;)
  • rananegra said:

cafcfan said:

McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Not sure these are good solutions to all the issues, however, I'm not at all clear why anyone would need to sell a property to pay a tax based on employment income.
    And I think the extra income from property taxes is from the reform of council tax to make it reflect property values, rather than from stamp duty
    Yes the bullet points carefully use the word "earnings" but a quick browse through the report finds a (quite well hidden) recommendation that NI should be charge on "income" and, in particular, the receipts from occupational pension schemes.

The report and its recommendations are complex (but still manage to ignore significant factors) and in that regard it's a bit like a homily to the convoluted taxation systems Gordon Brown was so fond of. It's entirely possible that the extra bureaucracy needed to put the recommendations into place wholesale would more than eat up all the tax income harvested and more.

• cafcfan said:

rananegra said:

cafcfan said:

McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Yes the bullet points carefully use the word "earnings" but a quick browse through the report finds a (quite well hidden) recommendation that NI should be charge on "income" and, in particular, the receipts from occupational pension schemes.

The report and its recommendations are complex (but still manage to ignore significant factors) and in that regard it's a bit like a homily to the convoluted taxation systems Gordon Brown was so fond of. It's entirely possible that the extra bureaucracy needed to put the recommendations into place wholesale would more than eat up all the tax income harvested and more.

That's part of the problem with means testing as well... It's as expensive as any savings
  • Get rid of almost all benefits and pay every adult £x amount per annum as a basic income/benefit/wage/pension and every penny you earn is then taxed (at higher than 20%).

Would increase unemployment numbers as isn’t it something like over 400,000 people work in evaluating/distributing benefits? Would cut down on that massively, would eradicate most poverty I would think as well.
  • cafcfan said:

rananegra said:

cafcfan said:

McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

OK I get the difference, but it is still based on income and I don't see why what amounts to an increase in income tax would lead to someone having to sell their home. If they don't have much income, they won't be affected.
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn’t it that council tax is replaced with a property tax with multiple bands. Ie not on income but house value?so if a pensioner with a small income has a £2m it’s unlikely they could afford the tax?
  • Ps, the rate quotes is 0.85% above an unspecified tax free amount and 1.7% above 600k.

So say tax free is £100k

£400k x 0.85% = £3,400
    1,500,000 x 1.7% = £25,500

Total nearly 30k per annum

On a £1m house nearly 12k.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Isn’t it that council tax is replaced with a property tax with multiple bands. Ie not on income but house value?so if a pensioner with a small income has a £2m it’s unlikely they could afford the tax?

sell the house then. no sympathy for pensioners sitting in 4 bed properties when they should be downsizing and selling for families.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Isn’t it that council tax is replaced with a property tax with multiple bands. Ie not on income but house value?so if a pensioner with a small income has a £2m it’s unlikely they could afford the tax?

sell the house then. no sympathy for pensioners sitting in 4 bed properties when they should be downsizing and selling for families.
    That’s harsh! On that basis then I’m sure you agree we should only let couples buy one or max two bed places and if you are single then studios or max one bed?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

That’s harsh! On that basis then I’m sure you agree we should only let couples buy one or max two bed places and if you are single then studios or max one bed?
    how is it harsh? £2 million in an asset they likely paid comparitive peanuts for 40 years ago. Anyone should be able to buy whatever they are able to afford, but sitting in a house thats worth millions and crying that they've got a small income cos they're pensioners.. give me a break.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

how is it harsh? £2 million in an asset they likely paid comparitive peanuts for 40 years ago. Anyone should be able to buy whatever they are able to afford, but sitting in a house thats worth millions and crying that they've got a small income cos they're pensioners.. give me a break.
    What if the property is already subject to equity release? What if it's not a house but a farm (No longer in receipt of EU subsidies)? And chances are it wasn't peanuts. Do you have any idea what interest rates on mortgages were like in the past?
  • Rob7Lee said:

I assume you have the latest phone, or a nice watch, or maybe a decent car, sell them, and buy older, cheaper items, you don't need them, its not like you've worked your very short life for them is it.
  • House prices are highest in London and the south east. I reckon one thing the Tories could do is move parliament and vast swathes of the government departments to places like Birmingham. That ought to help spread the load.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

That’s not a serious post/your real views surely?
  • The Tories shouldnt do anything, however sensible, that affects pensioners if they have any sense. They suggest swapping the triple lock to a double lock and it all kicked off.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    Greenie said:

Rob7Lee said:

I assume you have the latest phone, or a nice watch, or maybe a decent car, sell them, and buy older, cheaper items, you don't need them, its not like you've worked your very short life for them is it.
    if i have them, i can afford them. Those items also all depreciate in value over time, property, particularly in the last 40 years most certainly have not depreciated in value. If i had a large family car that i hardly used and it was just me + my partner that used it when there were young families unable to buy a family car and that car was worth ten times what i paid for and i was complaining i didn't have any money, you would tell me to sell the fecking thing and stop complaining.
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

I literally can't see how thinking its ridiculous some one in a hypothetical scenario is complaining about not being able to afford to live somewhere when the asset that they own outright is worth millions is some how controversial.
  • edited May 2018

Greenie said:

Rob7Lee said:

if i have them, i can afford them. Those items also all depreciate in value over time, property, particularly in the last 40 years most certainly have not depreciated in value. If i had a large family car that i hardly used and it was just me + my partner that used it when there were young families unable to buy a family car and that car was worth ten times what i paid for and i was complaining i didn't have any money, you would tell me to sell the fecking thing and stop complaining.
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

I literally can't see how thinking its ridiculous some one in a hypothetical scenario is complaining about not being able to afford to live somewhere when the asset that they own outright is worth millions is some how controversial.
    Hmmm, we had many many people in negative equity in the late 80's I was one of them, oh yes and the Tories were in power, I lost 25% off the price of my house, as did those pensioners you mention no doubt, so do I get some money from someone to make up the loss? No I dont, because in the last thirty years I have worked my arse off to get where I am because I am not a self entitled, its someone else's fault, millennial snowflake.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Hmmm, we had many many people in negative equity in the late 80's I was one of them, oh yes and the Tories were in power, I lost 25% off the price of my house, as did those pensioners you mention no doubt, so do I get some money from someone to make up the loss? No I dont, because in the last thirty years I have worked my arse off to get where I am because I am not a self entitled, its someone else's fault, millennial snowflake.
    “I worked my arse off to sit in a home for years doing nothing so that the generation below me will be the first one worse off than me”
  • Also massive cringe at “millennial snowflake” hahahaha

• I literally can't see how thinking its ridiculous some one in a hypothetical scenario is complaining about not being able to afford to live somewhere when the asset that they own outright is worth millions is some how controversial.

“I worked my arse off to sit in a home for years doing nothing so that the generation below me will be the first one worse off than me”

Also massive cringe at “millennial snowflake” hahahaha

You really are a child sonny.
  • All generations have to work hard, and all have different challenges to face. My grandparents got to fight in a war for heaven's sake. We'd be better off not fighting amongst ourselves.. there is surely enough to go around if there was actually any long term planning... Enough houses, better distribution of wealth... The younger generation have a real struggle on their hands as there are no council houses to buy on the cheap (or get to live in for a decent rent) and have the psychological issues of tuition fees, the older generation have issues with care... Generation X are the ones who will increasingly have to pay for it all as they move into higher income jobs. Imagine if we had some decent leadership in this country, and a decent opposition!
  • McBobbin said:

The Tories shouldnt do anything, however sensible, that affects pensioners if they have any sense. They suggest swapping the triple lock to a double lock and it all kicked off.

• McBobbin said:

The Tories shouldnt do anything, however sensible, that affects pensioners if they have any sense. They suggest swapping the triple lock to a double lock and it all kicked off.

Is this you @Greenie?

“Something mildly discomforting happened to the economy nearly 40 years ago so I think I need to fuck the generation below me over”
    Greenie said:

Also massive cringe at “millennial snowflake” hahahaha

You really are a child sonny.

Again with the personal attacks I see, devoid of facts completely. I guess I should reply with personal attacks too, but we all know how upset you get when some one else does that to you. Again, my heart bleeds.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!