Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• edited May 2018
    The next election is going to be all about Brexit. There will be people who support the Tory position because they are seen as the anti-Europe party. I think it is in the interests of the country that the Liberals and SNP become power brokers. They can insist on a vote on any agreement or non agreement with the EU which Labour won't campaign for (I'm guessing) but won't die in a ditch over as it would be democratic.

The thing is, we need an election. Remain Tories will soon realise this is the country's only hope of avoiding what they think will be a disaster. There are lots of pot holes in the road ahead for May - she is the person who is keeping the party together. Apart from policy traps, I doubt Windrush is over. She will have known her policies were affecting the Windrush generation and whilst the Home Office will be sealing the hull against leaks, I would be surprised if there aren't any. Interesting times ahead.

As somebody who believes we need to stay in the EU, I did not want Labour to do any better than it did on Thursday.
  • I think the centre-right of the Tory party needs to break off and form its own party.

How can people like Ken Clarke, Sarah Wollaston, Nicky Morgan, Anna Soubry, Justine Greening, Robert Buckland and even Amber Rudd & Phillip Hammond feel comfortable belonging to a party that is diving head first into a very hard Brexit, that has spored the Windrush debacle and continues to deny our public services much needed funds and direction. I have listened to these and others and they clearly don't support the way that our government is taking us.

I have worked with a number of senior Tory Councillors in the past and they would be appalled at the destruction of local services and the lack of actual support for their communities.
  • Greenie said:

Was not a great surprise to me. People would say if Labour had a different leader they would be further ahead but that isn't the point. It can't be an exact science but these results have not changed much since the general election apart from the projections suggesting Corbyn could form a minority Government with the SNP and Libs. Small margins. For me that is interesting and seems to have gone under many people's radar.

I think this would be a remainers dream outcome :)

Surely you have to accept that last night was an awful result for the Cult of Corbyn?
    Huge blow for Labour as they take 600 more seats than the Tories, hold twice as many councils and make gains while Conservatives make losses. What a catastrophe......?
    This is the BBC.
    These elections were always (or should have been) a Labour win-win. Mainly urban areas voting and no linking of voting for MEPs as there was in the comparative election 4 years ago.

Updating your figures shows Labour actually held almost 1,000 more seats than the Conservatives. But the key figure is the GAIN. Which was a paltry 62 seats. Somehow, almost unbelievably, in the light of their woeful performance in Govt. the Tories only lost 32 seats - in mainly urban areas.

Without having either the facts, ability, time or willingness to do an extrapolation of the figures, I'm noting that the UKIP wipe-out was mainly shared between Labour & the LibDems rather than the Tories. Which is odd. But perhaps not. This paper suggests more UKIP voters switched to Labour rather than the Tories between the last two general elections. electionanalysis.uk/uk-election-analysis-2017/section-2-voters-polls-and-results/ukips-former-supporters-were-crucial-to-the-outcome-but-not-as-generally-expected/ Which, if correct rather puts paid to this view,
    McBobbin said:

Blow softened considerably for the Tories by them getting the ukip votes

if that trend was repeated in these local elections. And, again taking account of the nature of the constituencies voting this time round, seems more than possible.

So, in short, only winning an extra 62 seats in its heartland must be somewhat disheartening for Labour/Momentum especially taking into account the effort and money they put into these elections in places like Swindon.

Greenie said:

BBC vote projection has put Labour as the largest party if this was a General Election.
    I really dont know how Labour and Corbyn can recover from such devastating news.

Again updating your figures, the BBC extrapolation, now all results are in, puts Labour and the Conservatives neck and neck on 35% each. But it takes no account of any reduction in the number of MPs nor the redrawing of constituency boundries (if that happens) which will go some way towards negating the built-in bias to Labour in the current set-up.

So, yes, again Labour really should have done better. Why didn't they? Well, it's often said that the gap between the haves and the have-nots is wider than it's ever been. I wonder therefore, if that's true, whether voting intentions are also more clearly cast in stone? With the "What have the Romans ever done for us"? view having maximum impact upon voting patterns.

Interesting, if depressing times.
  • I think the centre-right of the Tory party needs to break off and form its own party.

How can people like Ken Clarke, Sarah Wollaston, Nicky Morgan, Anna Soubry, Justine Greening, Robert Buckland and even Amber Rudd & Phillip Hammond feel comfortable belonging to a party that is diving head first into a very hard Brexit, that has spored the Windrush debacle and continues to deny our public services much needed funds and direction. I have listened to these and others and they clearly don't support the way that our government is taking us.

I have worked with a number of senior Tory Councillors in the past and they would be appalled at the destruction of local services and the lack of actual support for their communities.

And, if they form this party, there's every chance that Messrs. Cooper, Reeves, Kinnock, Benn, Umunna, Leslie etc. Etc. will join them. Plus probably all the Lib Dems.

Bring it on!

And, if they form this party, there's every chance that Messrs. Cooper, Reeves, Kinnock, Benn, Umunna, Leslie etc. Etc. will join them. Plus probably all the Lib Dems.

Bring it on!

I think Benn, Kinnock and possibly Cooper have too much Labour blood to leave. But people could join from wherever they liked.
  • Greenie said:

Was not a great surprise to me. People would say if Labour had a different leader they would be further ahead but that isn't the point. It can't be an exact science but these results have not changed much since the general election apart from the projections suggesting Corbyn could form a minority Government with the SNP and Libs. Small margins. For me that is interesting and seems to have gone under many people's radar.

Surely you have to accept that last night was an awful result for the Cult of Corbyn?
    Huge blow for Labour as they take 600 more seats than the Tories, hold twice as many councils and make gains while Conservatives make losses. What a catastrophe......?
    This is the BBC.
    When you consider labour started the day already controlling well over half the seats and the dismal state the tories are on, Labour will have expected to do much, much better. Even the non existent lib dems did better.

As for the BBC predictions, they are totally meaningless, this wasn't a general election and voting didn't even take place across the entire country.

The irony is, the more the cult of corbyn insist this was a victory for me, the less likely he is to resign, all that leads to is the tories winning the next election. The bloke is never going to be Prime Minister, the first step of getting ris of May and Co is getting rid of corbyn, I'd put money on it.
    What is this "Cult of Corbyn" you talk of? Is it real, unsubstantiated alliteration or a media construct?
  • cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

This is the BBC.
    These elections were always (or should have been) a Labour win-win. Mainly urban areas voting and no linking of voting for MEPs as there was in the comparative election 4 years ago.

Updating your figures shows Labour actually held almost 1,000 more seats than the Conservatives. But the key figure is the GAIN. Which was a paltry 62 seats. Somehow, almost unbelievably, in the light of their woeful performance in Govt. the Tories only lost 32 seats - in mainly urban areas.

Without having either the facts, ability, time or willingness to do an extrapolation of the figures, I'm noting that the UKIP wipe-out was mainly shared between Labour & the LibDems rather than the Tories. Which is odd. But perhaps not. This paper suggests more UKIP voters switched to Labour rather than the Tories between the last two general elections. electionanalysis.uk/uk-election-analysis-2017/section-2-voters-polls-and-results/ukips-former-supporters-were-crucial-to-the-outcome-but-not-as-generally-expected/ Which, if correct rather puts paid to this view,
    McBobbin said:

Blow softened considerably for the Tories by them getting the ukip votes

if that trend was repeated in these local elections. And, again taking account of the nature of the constituencies voting this time round, seems more than possible.

So, in short, only winning an extra 62 seats in its heartland must be somewhat disheartening for Labour/Momentum especially taking into account the effort and money they put into these elections in places like Swindon.

Greenie said:

BBC vote projection has put Labour as the largest party if this was a General Election.
    I really dont know how Labour and Corbyn can recover from such devastating news.

Again updating your figures, the BBC extrapolation, now all results are in, puts Labour and the Conservatives neck and neck on 35% each. But it takes no account of any reduction in the number of MPs nor the redrawing of constituency boundries (if that happens) which will go some way towards negating the built-in bias to Labour in the current set-up.

So, yes, again Labour really should have done better. Why didn't they? Well, it's often said that the gap between the haves and the have-nots is wider than it's ever been. I wonder therefore, if that's true, whether voting intentions are also more clearly cast in stone? With the "What have the Romans ever done for us"? view having maximum impact upon voting patterns.

Interesting, if depressing times.
    No doubt Labour were hoping for more and that the Tories where fearing worse but from a high water mark Labour have increased their Councillors whilst the Tories have actually had a net loss of councils. The LDs could only go one way and it looks like they have won back councils from the Tories, that will only be good for non-Tories as if the LDs get back the seats they have lost since 2015 then we are heading for a coalition govt probably not involving the Tories or DUP.

Labour were never going to win Wandsworth or Westminster and they were foolish to speculate that they could. Losing some midland towns would have hurt Labour but a lot of those towns seem to flip flop and not follow the national norm.
  • Greenie said:

This is the BBC.
    When you consider labour started the day already controlling well over half the seats and the dismal state the tories are on, Labour will have expected to do much, much better. Even the non existent lib dems did better.

As for the BBC predictions, they are totally meaningless, this wasn't a general election and voting didn't even take place across the entire country.

The irony is, the more the cult of corbyn insist this was a victory for me, the less likely he is to resign, all that leads to is the tories winning the next election. The bloke is never going to be Prime Minister, the first step of getting ris of May and Co is getting rid of corbyn, I'd put money on it.
    What is this "Cult of Corbyn" you talk of? Is it real, unsubstantiated alliteration or a media construct?
    Yes I'd say there was a cult building up around him - there seems to be a large amount of devotion/unquestioning loyalty towards him. This is never a good thing - I find the chanting stuff very unedifying.

The same think could have been levelled at Blair to some extent. I don't think either of them will go down as good leaders.

Labour has failed pretty spectacularly at the polls under Corbyn given some of the troubles the Government has been having. There seems to be a reluctance within Labour to acknowledge this.

I'm suspicious of most leaders - I've seen too much history not to be.
  • edited May 2018
    I think we saw a similar pattern to the general elections as to where Labour is strong and not so strong. Despite these being local elections, there is a Brexit correlation. Labour were only a few seats from being able to form a minority government. Yes they would almost certainly be higher with a different leader but that isn't the point.

Before last year's general election, I was actually anti -Corbyn as my posts on here will testify. Not because I opposed his policies and views, but because I felt he could never be Prime Minister, and what is the point of standing for fairness and decency when you can't do anything about it. The election campaign and result changed my mind. He has inspired me. And he doesn't need to thrash the Tories, he just needs do do ever so slightly better than he did last year. That seems lost on so many people!

He isn't like most other politicians which is his strength and also his weakness. To judge him in relation to that is a mistake. I would rather we get a Labour government which sneaks in than a Tory light Labour government, because I think it is what is needed today. I am open to being disapointed, but I don't see that there is too much to lose at the moment.
  • Greenie said:

This is the BBC.

Yes I'd say there was a cult building up around him - there seems to be a large amount of devotion/unquestioning loyalty towards him. This is never a good thing - I find the chanting stuff very unedifying.

The same think could have been levelled at Blair to some extent. I don't think either of them will go down as good leaders.

Labour has failed pretty spectacularly at the polls under Corbyn given some of the troubles the Government has been having. There seems to be a reluctance within Labour to acknowledge this.

I'm suspicious of most leaders - I've seen too much history not to be.
    I don't disagree with what you say Hoofy but would add that some of the things you say are just the type of qualities that the right wing media fawn about when they are part of the make up of a right wing leader.

Chanting stuff is embarrassing but I think that was born out of a 'siege mentality'.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Well he took part in the process (twice) for leadership, and the largest political party by membership in Europe elected him.
    If you are saying there is blame I am confused, blame and/or credit for votes cast?
    If that is the case, then you're right. Tory party members didn't elect Theresa May so she is to 'blame' for the success/failure she had with votes cast, not Tory party members who can wash their hands of the actions of their leader if they so wish.
    Personally I prefer the system where the 'blame' or even credit is more widely shared, than being totally invested in one 'unelected' (by comparison) person.

So one party elected a twat, twice, and the other party let a twat in through the back door. I think that says more about the former, as a party, than it does the later tbh
    Says more?
    That one party had a democratic procedure and one a coronation?
    Perhaps it says that Tories like blind subservience more than Labour
    Yes, that they've had a democratic procedure and the majority agreed that a twat is the best option
    I suppose it’s occurred to you that other people might have very different views on who or what is a twat.

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Well he took part in the process (twice) for leadership, and the largest political party by membership in Europe elected him.
    If you are saying there is blame I am confused, blame and/or credit for votes cast?
    If that is the case, then you're right. Tory party members didn't elect Theresa May so she is to 'blame' for the success/failure she had with votes cast, not Tory party members who can wash their hands of the actions of their leader if they so wish.
    Personally I prefer the system where the 'blame' or even credit is more widely shared, than being totally invested in one 'unelected' (by comparison) person.

So one party elected a twat, twice, and the other party let a twat in through the back door. I think that says more about the former, as a party, than it does the later tbh
    Says more?
    Yes, that they've had a democratic procedure and the majority agreed that a twat is the best option
    I suppose it’s occurred to you that other people might have very different views on who or what is a twat.

It was a joke Shootie, have a cuppa tea ffs
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Says more?

I'm sure it's occurred to you that levels of humour recognition vary wildly from person to person.

Wait.....
  • I don't think on either side there will be mass defections to start up a new party, we can but hope.

I suspect May is probably delighted with her result of only losing 2 councils and 33 councillors and Corbyn is gutted to have gained no more councils and only 77 more councillors despite the work put in busing momentum into the key targeted areas. Lib Dems have been the real winners from where they started, 75 new councillors and 4 new councils. Greens did Ok as well with 8 new councillors.

This was local elections after 8 years of tory rule (or 3 of just tory no coalition) which normally with any ruling party means they get a kicking, if you add into that the recent horror stories against the tories Labour should have done 10 times better even with their own recent issue.

If this trend continues we're in for an uncomfortable period if Corbyn cannot make his brand of politics work well enough to get into power as the Labour Party by then will have already changed and the far left will already have a strangle hold on the party.
  • edited May 2018

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Says more?

It was a joke Shootie, have a cuppa tea ffs
    Aren’t jokes meant to be funny ?

I do think though you have a point.

• Greenie said:

This is the BBC.

Or a single letter mis spelling?
    ;-)
  • Windrush is just one aspect of Tory racism. There is also their treatment of Gurkas, Afgan translators, Chagos islanders and their failure to negotiate rights for EU nationals domiciled here.
  • Windrush is just one aspect of Tory racism. There is also their treatment of Gurkas, Afgan translators, Chagos islanders and their failure to negotiate rights for EU nationals domiciled here.

...British immigrants abroad
  • ...not that I want any help from the British government, they've done fuck all for me for the last 41 years on this planet, so why change
  • Sponsored links:

You forgot Jews. Oh no, that’s the other mob.

You forgot Jews. Oh no, that’s the other mob.
    Don't worry it's them too:

https://antisemitism.uk/politics/conservatives/
  • edited May 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

I don't think on either side there will be mass defections to start up a new party, we can but hope.

I suspect May is probably delighted with her result of only losing 2 councils and 33 councillors and Corbyn is gutted to have gained no more councils and only 77 more councillors despite the work put in busing momentum into the key targeted areas. Lib Dems have been the real winners from where they started, 75 new councillors and 4 new councils. Greens did Ok as well with 8 new councillors.

This was local elections after 8 years of tory rule (or 3 of just tory no coalition) which normally with any ruling party means they get a kicking, if you add into that the recent horror stories against the tories Labour should have done 10 times better even with their own recent issue.

If this trend continues we're in for an uncomfortable period if Corbyn cannot make his brand of politics work well enough to get into power as the Labour Party by then will have already changed and the far left will already have a strangle hold on the party.

Maybe if people are pissed off with the Tories, but don't like Corbyn they will vote Liberal. Liberal get more seats and collaborate with the Labour party.
    The message is Tory austerity dominance does not need to continue to crush the population.
  • seth plum said:

Rob7Lee said:

I don't think on either side there will be mass defections to start up a new party, we can but hope.

Maybe if people are pissed off with the Tories, but don't like Corbyn they will vote Liberal. Liberal get more seats and collaborate with the Labour party.
    The message is Tory austerity dominance does not need to continue to crush the population.
    After what Clegg did to the students?

Boris on picanninies? Boris on the Irish border/GFA which seems to be distainful and a revival of borderline anti Irish racism which has always been around certain aspects of the English and their ruling class?
  • seth plum said:

Rob7Lee said:

After what Clegg did to the students?
    Well of course the Liberals are not to be believed or trustworthy, they could still gain seats from previously Tory areas from voters who have the right lurching Tories especially ones led by Boris 'picanninies' Johnson.
    I understand the Tories gained Pendle by reinstating a councillor who likened a brown dog to brown skinned claimants.
    The spirit of Enoch lives on in the Tories where power seems to come before decency.
  • I'm hoping that Rees-Mogg and Bojo team up to push the Brexit agenda - May can't be trusted and needs to be ousted. Michael Gove needs to be given a key role.

Don’t forget Peter Bone. About time he was brought into the frontline. He’ll sort them EUers out :wink:
  • I'm hoping that Rees-Mogg and Bojo team up to push the Brexit agenda - May can't be trusted and needs to be ousted. Michael Gove needs to be given a key role.

Is there a brexit agenda then?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!