Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Went and voted about 20 mins ago. The guy said only about 100 people had been in so far.
  • Though Raffan defected from the Tories to the Libs more than 25 years ago so perhaps not quite as big a deal.
  • No great shock, he was always on the left side,

He left the Tories 26 years ago and had been a Lib Dem for 16 years (although not an MP anymore),

In 2004 he had an 'expenses issues' and resigned and left the Lib Dems due to ill health apparently. Some reports say he then joined the Labour Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Raffan
  • seth plum said:

Went and voted about 20 mins ago. The guy said only about 100 people had been in so far.

Do you know the electorate numbers in your ward @seth plum, getting towards midday and about 100 seems very low! Although maybe if commuter belt etc people go after work (that's what I usually do). That said I reckon it'll be a low turn out in my area, normally is for locals.
  • cabbles said:

Greenie said:

Nice to see that most Tory MPs voted against further info being made public about the Windrush Scandal, including new Home Secretary Sajid Javid, who on Monday pledged to urgently “do right” by the windrush generation and last night voted with the DUP to suppress the documents evidencing how the scandal occurred, just another in a line of utter shits. But hey give them your cross.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43982092

This is exactly where they go wrong. Peddle some shit to the cameras about being sorry, someone falls on their sword and hope that they can sweep it under the carpet. If they’re truly sorry and want to address it, let’s get it all out in the open.
    No great surprise really, self preservation/protection of Auntie T. They do themselves no favours.

One bit I don't understand - it seems over 30% of Labour MP's didn't vote? Surely 30% didn't agree with the Tories?
    Greenie said:

Nice to see that most Tory MPs voted against further info being made public about the Windrush Scandal, including new Home Secretary Sajid Javid, who on Monday pledged to urgently “do right” by the windrush generation and last night voted with the DUP to suppress the documents evidencing how the scandal occurred, just another in a line of utter shits. But hey give them your cross.

Better than that @Greenie you get 3 crosses!
  • Just nipped back to UK, stuck a photo of a cat on me passport and voted Tory on behalf of @iainment

; )
  • Greenie said:

Why did 78 Labour MPs not vote for this motion?
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:

seth plum said:

Went and voted about 20 mins ago. The guy said only about 100 people had been in so far.

Do you know the electorate numbers in your ward @seth plum, getting towards midday and about 100 seems very low! Although maybe if commuter belt etc people go after work (that's what I usually do). That said I reckon it'll be a low turn out in my area, normally is for locals.
    198 as of 7pm. Nobody cares.
  • Most will vote on their way home probably. You have to start out before the polling stations open with South Eastern Railways!
  • Conservatives won't do amazingly, but will do better than people expected.
  • Huskaris said:

Conservatives won't do amazingly, but will do better than people expected.

My guess as well. They expected a tonking, especially in London.
  • McBobbin said:

Huskaris said:

Yeah, a few very key areas will be interesting, so many different "scandals" that will impact different wards. *I come in peace so calm down some of you* I think a lot of people will view Corbyn as having run out of steam (we already know that May has) I just think Corbyn has missed a huge amount of open goals lately (again, as always I have to caveat for those here, May has also been shit) but Corbyn hasn't outperformed May lately.
  • Huskaris said:

McBobbin said:

Huskaris said:

Yeah, a few very key areas will be interesting, so many different "scandals" that will impact different wards. *I come in peace so calm down some of you* I think a lot of people will view Corbyn as having run out of steam (we already know that May has) I just think Corbyn has missed a huge amount of open goals lately (again, as always I have to caveat for those here, May has also been shit) but Corbyn hasn't outperformed May lately.
    True. May has been shite from the start, but Corbyn has taken the open goals like Ronny Rosenthal. His surprise factor hasn't been in play since the general election. There will be a correction towards labour you always get between elections, but it won't signal a surge towards labour victory
  • McBobbin said:

Huskaris said:

McBobbin said:

Huskaris said:

True. May has been shite from the start, but Corbyn has taken the open goals like Ronny Rosenthal. His surprise factor hasn't been in play since the general election. There will be a correction towards labour you always get between elections, but it won't signal a surge towards labour victory
    Again, I agree, since the general election Corbyn hasn't had any big "victories." Again, this isn't my view, this is how I reckon the public with view it, not many people will care about Windrush, the anti Semitic issue might stick a tad more, and in a larger community. May played a blinder with the Salisbury issue, and Corbyn was hit for 6 (again, just how I think the public with view it).

Plus, nearly 2 hours after the polls close, it sounds like the UKIP vote has (predictably) collapsed. I'm guessing the way that goes might be a big deal. Probably Conservative but who knows.
  • The UKIP party died and it's spirit rose and was born again in the Conservative party. I think they will gain a lot from this, even some people that may have voted Labour previously, as Conservatives are formally the party of Brexit, rather than being led by someone who wants Brexit but is surrounded by people that don't. Almost as weird as being a remainer in a party surrounded by leavers...
  • Like I said, I can see the conservatives doing a lot better than everyone expected.
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:

McBobbin said:

Huskaris said:

Agree with all that.

Most seats were last fought in 2014, since then we've had brexit vote, two general elections and the Corbyn and May show.

If Labour don't make big strides I can see him coming under pressure.
  • edited May 2018
    Everyone will try to claim victory though
  • I definitely won.
  • edited May 2018
    Let's not kid ourselves that we desire change.

Let's vote for more of the SAME.

Business as USUAL.

Airborne pollution.
    Job insecurity.
    Depression, anxiety, stress.
    Citizen V citizen.
    'As seen' on 'social' media.

Pills. Potions. Prescriptions.

Fear not! DO THE SAME NEXT TIME.

#Conform
  • Huskaris said:

Like I said, I can see the conservatives doing a lot better than everyone expected.

Huskaris said:

Like I said, I can see the conservatives doing a lot better than everyone expected.

Looks like you're right.

You can always tell who has done well as the losers always say something like "Well it's early days yet and there are a lot of results to come in yet blah blah...." This is tonight's guilty talking head:
  • Great night for UKIP.
  • Disillusioned with politics if I'm honest.

No one can say the government is doing a good job and yet the opposition is so bad that people are willing to stick with a broken government because they fear the other side more.
  • edited May 2018
    However, anyone that votes in the local council elections and use Brexit as a reason to vote for a party should lose their vote.
  • Results reflect my own views: this government is absolutely shocking and the opposition is only slightly more shocking.
  • Crying out for a new centrist party.

Perhaps the U.K. can sign Macron during the summer transfer window.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!