Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

I think a centrist party would have to be born from centrist politicians from all sides publicly falling out with their leadership over matters of policy and quite possibly ethics. I don't believe a new party springing up from nowhere with people we've never heard of (or some Nobby celebrity like Robert kilroy silk) will get any traction

The Cooperative party to break away from labour and join forces with disgruntled Labour, Tory etc politicians? Think its around 40 current MP's are from the Labour & Co-operative coalition.
    Something like that, yeah
  • McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

I think a centrist party would have to be born from centrist politicians from all sides publicly falling out with their leadership over matters of policy and quite possibly ethics. I don't believe a new party springing up from nowhere with people we've never heard of (or some Nobby celebrity like Robert kilroy silk) will get any traction

The Cooperative party to break away from labour and join forces with disgruntled Labour, Tory etc politicians? Think its around 40 current MP's are from the Labour & Co-operative coalition.
    Something like that, yeah
    The tories would love that!
  • Chaz Hill said:

If there is a slight resurgence of the Lib Dem’s over the next year or so it can only help the Tories. I doubt the switch from blue to Yellow will be as significant as red to yellow.

This is my fear. With our first past the post system, we end up with the centrist vote split and the Tories win seats by default. SDP and the rise of Thatcher springs to mind.
    Denis T used to like the rise of Thatcher I heard. Can’t abide the thought of it to be fair.
  • edited May 2018
    Was not a great surprise to me. People would say if Labour had a different leader they would be further ahead but that isn't the point. It can't be an exact science but these results have not changed much since the general election apart from the projections suggesting Corbyn could form a minority Government with the SNP and Libs. Small margins. For me that is interesting and seems to have gone under many people's radar.

I think this would be a remainers dream outcome :)
  • edited May 2018

Was not a great surprise to me. People would say if Labour had a different leader they would be further ahead but that isn't the point. It can't be an exact science but these results have not changed much since the general election apart from the projections suggesting Corbyn could form a minority Government with the SNP and Libs. Small margins. For me that is interesting and seems to have gone under many people's radar.

Surely you have to accept that last night was an awful result for the Cult of Corbyn?
  • However, anyone that votes in the local council elections and use Brexit as a reason to vote for a party should lose their vote.

What utter nonsense! I suppose you think the people in north London who based their vote purely on the perception of anti-semitism in the Labour Party should lose their vote as well?
    The ‘perception’ of anti Semitism inside the Labour Party? Surely you mean the blatant anti semitism inside the Labour Party?
  • Was not a great surprise to me. People would say if Labour had a different leader they would be further ahead but that isn't the point. It can't be an exact science but these results have not changed much since the general election apart from the projections suggesting Corbyn could form a minority Government with the SNP and Libs. Small margins. For me that is interesting and seems to have gone under many people's radar.

Surely you have to accept that last night was an awful result for the Cult of Corbyn?
    If it settles as expected there has been a small swing to conservative. Not versus the general election but the 2014 local elections when Milliband was in charge when most of these seats were last elected.

I’ll await Corbyn on TV saying how he won :wink:
  • Was not a great surprise to me. People would say if Labour had a different leader they would be further ahead but that isn't the point. It can't be an exact science but these results have not changed much since the general election apart from the projections suggesting Corbyn could form a minority Government with the SNP and Libs. Small margins. For me that is interesting and seems to have gone under many people's radar.

Mid term governments tend to do badly. Add to this the Tories having a shocking week before the elections with Windrush and the Home Secretary having to resign, Labour should have done much better.

• I accept it was a much better result for remainers than Corbyn. I think it highlights how we could still remain in the EU if the goverment falls - Labour walking the election will not achieve this.
  • edited May 2018

Huge blow for Labour as they take 600 more seats than the Tories, hold twice as many councils and make gains while Conservatives make losses. What a catastrophe......?
    This is the BBC.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Corbyn is Labour leader because he was clearly elected to that position twice by his party.
    May is Tory leader unelected to that position by her party.

So they're to blame
  • However, anyone that votes in the local council elections and use Brexit as a reason to vote for a party should lose their vote.

What utter nonsense! I suppose you think the people in north London who based their vote purely on the perception of anti-semitism in the Labour Party should lose their vote as well?
    I don't think you get the point.

In what way would a LOCAL council affect the brexit deal?

You're voting for your bin collections and pot holes. People talking about Corbyn/Brexit are missing the point of these elections.
  • “Thanks to Diane’s remarkable command of mathematics, Labour have swept to victory with well over 100% of the vote nationwide,” we were told.

Lol

I don't think you get the point.

In what way would a LOCAL council affect the brexit deal?

You're voting for your bin collections and pot holes. People talking about Corbyn/Brexit are missing the point of these elections.
    You can also send a message to Labour and Tories by voting Lib Dem who have it right on Brexit.

Why do you think that mid term governments often get a kicking in local elections. It’s because voters want to send them a reminder to pull their finger out.

• seth plum said:

Corbyn is Labour leader because he was clearly elected to that position twice by his party.

So they're to blame
    Who is to blame for what?
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

So they're to blame
    Who is to blame for what?
    His party, for electing him.
  • Well he took part in the process (twice) for leadership, and the largest political party by membership in Europe elected him.
    If you are saying there is blame I am confused, blame and/or credit for votes cast?
    If that is the case, then you're right. Tory party members didn't elect Theresa May so she is to 'blame' for the success/failure she had with votes cast, not Tory party members who can wash their hands of the actions of their leader if they so wish.
    Personally I prefer the system where the 'blame' or even credit is more widely shared, than being totally invested in one 'unelected' (by comparison) person.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blow softened considerably for the Tories by them getting the ukip votes
  • McBobbin said:

Blow softened considerably for the Tories by them getting the ukip votes

Tories took 47, Labour 30.
  • Maybe the Labour attitude to brexit will be altered by realising that they don't have previously Labour voting brexiteers to defer to, as those voters in brexit regions are not voting for them anyway.
    There is a slim chance that Labour might harden in chasing down the detail of what brexiteers are proposing (when we know what that actually is).
    Labour tries to have an everyman approach to brexit. They should be an opposition to the Tory/UKIP/alt right brexiteers, until such time that they are in charge (if that ever happens).
  • edited May 2018
    seth plum said:

Well he took part in the process (twice) for leadership, and the largest political party by membership in Europe elected him.
    If you are saying there is blame I am confused, blame and/or credit for votes cast?
    If that is the case, then you're right. Tory party members didn't elect Theresa May so she is to 'blame' for the success/failure she had with votes cast, not Tory party members who can wash their hands of the actions of their leader if they so wish.
    Personally I prefer the system where the 'blame' or even credit is more widely shared, than being totally invested in one 'unelected' (by comparison) person.

So one party elected a twat, twice, and the other party let a twat in through the back door. I think that says more about the former, as a party, than it does the later tbh
  • seth plum said:

Well he took part in the process (twice) for leadership, and the largest political party by membership in Europe elected him.

So one party elected a twat, twice, and the other party let a twat in through the back door. I think that says more about the former, as a party, than it does the later tbh
    Says more?
    That one party had a democratic procedure and one a coronation?
    Perhaps it says that Tories like blind subservience more than Labour
  • UKIP are Tories. Tories are UKIP.

Except in Basildon, of course, where there was a Labour/UKIP coalition.....
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Says more?
    Yes, that they've had a democratic procedure and the majority agreed that a twat is the best option
  • Greenie said:

Huge blow for Labour as they take 600 more seats than the Tories, hold twice as many councils and make gains while Conservatives make losses. What a catastrophe......?
    This is the BBC.
    When you consider labour started the day already controlling well over half the seats and the dismal state the tories are on, Labour will have expected to do much, much better. Even the non existent lib dems did better.

As for the BBC predictions, they are totally meaningless, this wasn't a general election and voting didn't even take place across the entire country.

The irony is, the more the cult of corbyn insist this was a victory for me, the less likely he is to resign, all that leads to is the tories winning the next election. The bloke is never going to be Prime Minister, the first step of getting ris of May and Co is getting rid of corbyn, I'd put money on it.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Says more?
    Yes, that they've had a democratic procedure and the majority agreed that a twat is the best option
    It was democratic in the sense that a whole new group of people (many of whom had previously belonged to different parties) joined Labour to vote in Jeremy.

Left to the existing members before Ed Millband changed the rules, he would never have been elected leader.
  • My initial post was a joke, that seems to've backfired. Not to worry....
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!