Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Leuth said:

And I would argue that Labour aren't extreme at all, but a very typical social democrat party who are victims of a shifted window of acceptability.

Lol. Some of corbyn’s very close allies are extreme. It’s not him who I’m worried about, it’s the nutters he spends time with.
    Honest question. Who?
    Mcdonnell, Abbott, Mccluskey, corbyn's own "supporters"/fanatics on social media, before then his willingness to share a stage with "friends" such has Hamas and Hezbollah (people who would kill their own children -literally- if it was a means to an end), before even then hanging out with known IRA members as "part of the peace process", when it was obvious he was just trying to look cool in front of his militant mates, his ex militant mates.

Who would be the acceptable face of the left if corbyn decided tomorrow enough was enough and he was retiring?

Here you go @kentaddick this is what Corbyn said, and typically the media will not let him explain fully because they want a tabloid scoop, an then it gets believed......

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10153074175846939/
    "Met Hamas and Hezbollah, great people, the best people, i met them, CANIFINISH i met them to discuss issues, WILLYOULETMEFINISH"

this and his unwillingness to follow any kind of action re anti semitism in the labour party are giant red flags, and are to undecided voters like myself.
    But he didn't say that did he, you did watch the clip.....oh I see you're one of them......
    WILL YOU LET ME FINISH YOU'RE NOT LETTING ME FINISH
    Yep I was right.
    CANIFINISH.

some one criticises corbyn > provide questionable tv appearance where corbyn looks flustered at any kind of criticism > smugly think you're better than anyone> corbyn is amazing because you're better than anyone and you like corbyn > repeat.

The corbynista's guide to debate.
  • Leuth said:

And I would argue that Labour aren't extreme at all, but a very typical social democrat party who are victims of a shifted window of acceptability.

Lol. Some of corbyn’s very close allies are extreme. It’s not him who I’m worried about, it’s the nutters he spends time with.
    Honest question. Who?
    Mcdonnell, Abbott, Mccluskey, corbyn's own "supporters"/fanatics on social media, before then his willingness to share a stage with "friends" such has Hamas and Hezbollah (people who would kill their own children -literally- if it was a means to an end), before even then hanging out with known IRA members as "part of the peace process", when it was obvious he was just trying to look cool in front of his militant mates, his ex militant mates.

Who would be the acceptable face of the left if corbyn decided tomorrow enough was enough and he was retiring?

We won't agree on this but IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah are all organisations that any government/politician have had to talk to and deal with as they would with Saudi Arabia and Iran today. Whether that is for peace or trade or negotiations at some point you have to sit around a table with these people. Whether or not you or I think that some or all of those people should be talked to is another matter.

His own supporters on social media? Not sure you are serious about that. Are they about to take over or influence policy, I don't think so. Do other politicians have fringes who support on social media? Yes they do but the politician is not responsible for what an individual writes/says.

McDonnell is a Marxist, in common with a lot of economists. That is an economic theory it is not communism but he is a lefty.

McCluskey - another left winger and a person who any Labour leader would need to listen to, the union he heads gives money to the Labour party. How do other parties get their money and who do they have to listen to as a result? I wonder if it is as transparent as the aims of a multi member trade union (that may or may not be democratic!).

Abbott - She is just not very good. Not sure if she is extreme or not.

I don't think Abbott or McDonnell would survive a change of leadership. I am hoping that Abbott goes a lot quicker.
    i think its more the fact corbyn is incredibly reluctant to criticise those that spout hatred on social media. The anti semitism scandal was corbyn in a nutshell, he gets criticised, he then meets pretty much the only jewish group that strongly support him and then shrugs his shoulders and says "What? Am i meeting the wrong kind of jews now CHECKMATE MAINSTREAM MEDIA". He then goes and finally has a meeting with one of the largest jewish groups in the country and refuses all of their recommendations to fight anti semitism because it might impact his mates. It's like tory policy of helping and selling off shit to their mates but reversed. Two wrongs a right it does not make.

But seriously, who would be the left's candidate to replace corbyn?
    I think we went through all that on the other thread that got closed down.

But here we are again talking about Labour when we have a Tory party clueless over Brexit, deporting and detaining British citizens and our public services in crisis.

• Those that go about accusing people of being part of a Corbyn cult are really the ones fixated on him as this thread shows :)
  • edited May 2018

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

Here you go @kentaddick this is what Corbyn said, and typically the media will not let him explain fully because they want a tabloid scoop, an then it gets believed......

"Met Hamas and Hezbollah, great people, the best people, i met them, CANIFINISH i met them to discuss issues, WILLYOULETMEFINISH"

this and his unwillingness to follow any kind of action re anti semitism in the labour party are giant red flags, and are to undecided voters like myself.
    But he didn't say that did he, you did watch the clip.....oh I see you're one of them......
    Yep I was right.
    CANIFINISH.

some one criticises corbyn > provide questionable tv appearance where corbyn looks flustered at any kind of criticism > smugly think you're better than anyone> corbyn is amazing because you're better than anyone and you like corbyn > repeat.

Sorry mate I really cant take you seriously, youre coming across as a child.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

Yep I was right.
    CANIFINISH.

Sorry mate I really cant take you seriously, youre coming across as a child.
    "yep i was right" is straight out of primary school playground bullying, "mate".

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

We won't agree on this but IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah are all organisations that any government/politician have had to talk to and deal with as they would with Saudi Arabia and Iran today. Whether that is for peace or trade or negotiations at some point you have to sit around a table with these people. Whether or not you or I think that some or all of those people should be talked to is another matter.

His own supporters on social media? Not sure you are serious about that. Are they about to take over or influence policy, I don't think so. Do other politicians have fringes who support on social media? Yes they do but the politician is not responsible for what an individual writes/says.

McDonnell is a Marxist, in common with a lot of economists. That is an economic theory it is not communism but he is a lefty.

McCluskey - another left winger and a person who any Labour leader would need to listen to, the union he heads gives money to the Labour party. How do other parties get their money and who do they have to listen to as a result? I wonder if it is as transparent as the aims of a multi member trade union (that may or may not be democratic!).

I don't think Abbott or McDonnell would survive a change of leadership. I am hoping that Abbott goes a lot quicker.
    i think its more the fact corbyn is incredibly reluctant to criticise those that spout hatred on social media. The anti semitism scandal was corbyn in a nutshell, he gets criticised, he then meets pretty much the only jewish group that strongly support him and then shrugs his shoulders and says "What? Am i meeting the wrong kind of jews now CHECKMATE MAINSTREAM MEDIA". He then goes and finally has a meeting with one of the largest jewish groups in the country and refuses all of their recommendations to fight anti semitism because it might impact his mates. It's like tory policy of helping and selling off shit to their mates but reversed. Two wrongs a right it does not make.

But here we are again talking about Labour when we have a Tory party clueless over Brexit, deporting and detaining British citizens and our public services in crisis.

I think it was Leuth saying corbyn was all roses and rainbows and i gave evidence to the contrary and everyone jumped down my throat, but yeah, lets get to the real issue today (which i saw you actually liked, good show) which is the tories have been defeated re brexit again in the lords last night. We're leaving in less than a year, what a fucking shit show.

• "yep i was right" is straight out of primary school playground bullying, "mate".

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

I think it was Leuth saying corbyn was all roses and rainbows and i gave evidence to the contrary and everyone jumped down my throat, but yeah, lets get to the real issue today (which i saw you actually liked, good show) which is the tories have been defeated re brexit again in the lords last night. We're leaving in less than a year, what a fucking shit show.

Ahh bless you, you feel bullied, so what, who cares?
  • Greenie said:

"yep i was right" is straight out of primary school playground bullying, "mate".

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

Ahh bless you, you feel bullied, so what, who cares?

you apparently? Very strange comment.
  • Greenie, stop bullying kentaddick. kentaddick, stop being such a wiiiiimp
  • Leuth said:

Corbyn ISN'T all roses and I have some doubts about him as a politician. He' s a stand-up person and a fine representative of his constituency, and I think his principles are both genuine and good, but he seems to find it difficult to a) take a firm line or b) win over doubters. We shouldn't need him to offer us hope, but the flashier, more 'intellectual' types preceding and opposing him have fucked up the country so royally that...well, here he is.

brexit is and will do far more damage than any "intellectuals" and corbyn is a long time supporter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Greenie, stop bullying kentaddick. kentaddick, stop being such a wiiiiimp

CANIFINISHYOUWONTLETMEFINISH
  • Leuth said:

Corbyn ISN'T all roses and I have some doubts about him as a politician. He' s a stand-up person and a fine representative of his constituency, and I think his principles are both genuine and good, but he seems to find it difficult to a) take a firm line or b) win over doubters. We shouldn't need him to offer us hope, but the flashier, more 'intellectual' types preceding and opposing him have fucked up the country so royally that...well, here he is.

brexit is and will do far more damage than any "intellectuals" and corbyn is a long time supporter.
    I do think that this is the biggest knot that needs untangling. Labour's economic project is difficult enough as it is
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

I do think that this is the biggest knot that needs untangling. Labour's economic project is difficult enough as it is
    The problem is that many Labour voters (mostly in traditional heartlands of the north of England support Brexit) Labour is caught in the middle a bit - as are the Tories. Whilst I am a Labour supporter the best outcome for the country would be an election before Brexit happens and Labour becoming a minority government. This will give the Libs and SNP clout to try to get another referendum I hope. The second best option would be the soft Brexit Labour supports, although they would probably need to negotiate an extension to negotiate the Brexit. The worst option has to be the hard Brexit we seem to be heading for and what the UKIP clone Tories want. The sensible Tories are not going to accept this lightly.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

The problem is that many Labour voters (mostly in traditional heartlands of the north of England support Brexit) Labour is caught in the middle a bit - as are the Tories. Whilst I am a Labour supporter the best outcome for the country would be an election before Brexit happens and Labour becoming a minority government. This will give the Libs and SNP clout to try to get another referendum I hope. The second best option would be the soft Brexit Labour supports, although they would probably need to negotiate an extension to negotiate the Brexit. The worst option has to be the hard Brexit we seem to be heading for and what the UKIP clone Tories want. The sensible Tories are not going to accept this lightly.
    Why would we want another referendum, the people have already spoken.
  • edited May 2018
    Yes, but nobody knows what they said - For instance- polls suggest a clear majority support a soft Brexit but there was no option in the initial referendum and we look likely to be stuck with a hard one. Because the outcome was confidently expected to be different and no thought was given to the consequences of a simple yes or no vote. If that clarification is sought, by asking the people again, I don't see how what they say - whatever it is could be seen as undemocratic and surely it would clarify for both sides!
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Labour brexit policy stinks.
    Their policy ought to be 'there you go, have a blue passport, brexit is delivered', then to remain in every other aspect of the EU and get on with what matters, fixing this country.
  • At PMQ's Corbyn has challenged May on Tory brexit policy and she had absolutely nothing to offer.
    Tellingly he said the Tories had had 23 months to get sorted and pointed out they have come up with nothing. Theresa May was only able to say she wants the best deal and that is what she will get.
    Seems to me she should make a start then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brexit is going to be a car crash, just a matter of is it going to be just a minor knock or a full on economical write off.

I'm not so sure any government would be making a wonderful deal of it all, but we'll never know unless theres a further general election prior but that looks less and less likely now. I suspect Brexit is more likely to be the catalyst for a change of government than anything else the tories and/or labour do.

If somehow brexit goes well then that will do the Tories a massive favour and probably see of Corbyn, if not it'll help Labour and if he's still around make Corbyn a more likely candidate to win the next election.

All that said, are the under 25's looking forward to their 10k bonus and the pensioners paying NI again?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Brexit is going to be a car crash, just a matter of is it going to be just a minor knock or a full on economical write off.

I'm not so sure any government would be making a wonderful deal of it all, but we'll never know unless theres a further general election prior but that looks less and less likely now. I suspect Brexit is more likely to be the catalyst for a change of government than anything else the tories and/or labour do.

If somehow brexit goes well then that will do the Tories a massive favour and probably see of Corbyn, if not it'll help Labour and if he's still around make Corbyn a more likely candidate to win the next election.

All that said, are the under 25's looking forward to their 10k bonus and the pensioners paying NI again?

Pensioners paying NI you say. Well for the Tories that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. As for Labour, well haven't Messrs Corbyn and McDonnell promised we won't be worse off unless we rake in more than 70k?
  • I'm so glad this thread turned into a discussion about Labour again. Whataboutism at it's finest.

Well someone moved their window otherwise they'd be perfect.
  • It always makes me smile how much online vitriol the Tories get, yet every election time, the silent majority vote for them, and the silly old lefties get themselves in a tizzy.

This country is Conservative, and the longer people live, the more Conservative it will get. Nobody wants socialist policies.

I can't be the only one.
  • cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Brexit is going to be a car crash, just a matter of is it going to be just a minor knock or a full on economical write off.

Pensioners paying NI you say. Well for the Tories that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. As for Labour, well haven't Messrs Corbyn and McDonnell promised we won't be worse off unless we rake in more than 70k?
    Think it was under 80k they pledged that under a Labour government there would be no increase in the standard rate of VAT, income tax or personal national insurance contributions for the duration of the next parliament.

heres the report; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44029808

It's just a suggestion by the Resolution Foundation;

1. Give £10,000 to all young adults at the age of 25, funded by a new "lifetime receipts tax" that would replace inheritance tax

2. Scrap council tax and replace it with a new property tax targeting wealthier homeowners

3. Use the proceeds from property tax reform to halve stamp duty for first-time buyers and increase public funding for social care

4. Make earnings of those above state pension age subject to National Insurance contributions

I don't believe for one minute either party would introduce it.
  • Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Think it was under 80k they pledged that under a Labour government there would be no increase in the standard rate of VAT, income tax or personal national insurance contributions for the duration of the next parliament.

1. Give £10,000 to all young adults at the age of 25, funded by a new "lifetime receipts tax" that would replace inheritance tax

2. Scrap council tax and replace it with a new property tax targeting wealthier homeowners

3. Use the proceeds from property tax reform to halve stamp duty for first-time buyers and increase public funding for social care

4. Make earnings of those above state pension age subject to National Insurance contributions

David Willets, as part of the resolution foundation, is a pretty smart guy. When he was in charge of universities, they actually liked him which is impressive as he must be an evil Tory, and they must be pinko commies who don't live in the real world. Seriously though, willets wrote a book about how baby boomers have stolen the future from millennials. Whether or not that's true, it's not surprising they came up with ideas like this.

They aren't awful ideas... At least they are trying to tackle significant problems such as the housing and care crises
  • McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

David Willets, as part of the resolution foundation, is a pretty smart guy. When he was in charge of universities, they actually liked him which is impressive as he must be an evil Tory, and they must be pinko commies who don't live in the real world. Seriously though, willets wrote a book about how baby boomers have stolen the future from millennials. Whether or not that's true, it's not surprising they came up with ideas like this.

They aren't awful ideas... At least they are trying to tackle significant problems such as the housing and care crises
    2. We already know, thanks to the bonkers LibDems' idea about a "Mansion (sic) Tax", that many people are asset rich/cash poor. How do these people pay the extra tax?

3. There would be no proceeds - just desperate people trying to sell property that nobody wants to fund their extra tax (NI) bill (see 4). And, in any event, how many first-time buyers pay much stamp duty? It doesn't exist on property sales under £300k and is on a reduced rate under £500k.

Willets has clearly lost (at least) one of his two brains.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!