Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Chaz Hill said:

I'm hoping that Rees-Mogg and Bojo team up to push the Brexit agenda - May can't be trusted and needs to be ousted. Michael Gove needs to be given a key role.

Don’t forget Peter Bone. About time he was brought into the frontline. He’ll sort them EUers out :wink:
    Has anyone seen Peter Bone and Bill Cash in the same room at the same time? Because I'm pretty sure their brain cell is on a time share arrangement.
  • seth plum said:

Rob7Lee said:

I don't think on either side there will be mass defections to start up a new party, we can but hope.

I suspect May is probably delighted with her result of only losing 2 councils and 33 councillors and Corbyn is gutted to have gained no more councils and only 77 more councillors despite the work put in busing momentum into the key targeted areas. Lib Dems have been the real winners from where they started, 75 new councillors and 4 new councils. Greens did Ok as well with 8 new councillors.

This was local elections after 8 years of tory rule (or 3 of just tory no coalition) which normally with any ruling party means they get a kicking, if you add into that the recent horror stories against the tories Labour should have done 10 times better even with their own recent issue.

If this trend continues we're in for an uncomfortable period if Corbyn cannot make his brand of politics work well enough to get into power as the Labour Party by then will have already changed and the far left will already have a strangle hold on the party.

Maybe if people are pissed off with the Tories, but don't like Corbyn they will vote Liberal. Liberal get more seats and collaborate with the Labour party.
    The message is Tory austerity dominance does not need to continue to crush the population.
    This just my personal opinion but I think the Lib Dems got a tad shafted by the electorate in 2015. I get all the feeling of being betrayed when they got involved in the coalition and clegg with tuition fees, but how their voters deserted them really baffled me. They have some decent politicians in Cable and the Millwall one who was MP in Bermondsey (I think). Their demise on a national level really set our political maturity as a country back quite a bit for me.

We’ve been left with two individuals and ideologies you loathe, depending on what side of the fence you sit, where you vote to keep the other one out (in my opinion)
  • At s local Essex level, the Tory vote seems to have picked up UKIP votes at the expense of LibDems and resident parties. However I am a Green councillor and upped the vote and trounced the Tory into second place by a long way.

We are prime Brexit territory and the Tories played that card for the District election but people don't trust them in our ward because of overdevelopment without sustainable infrastructure.

And the local Tory party is ancient and will eventually die off.
  • cabbles said:

seth plum said:

Rob7Lee said:

I don't think on either side there will be mass defections to start up a new party, we can but hope.

I suspect May is probably delighted with her result of only losing 2 councils and 33 councillors and Corbyn is gutted to have gained no more councils and only 77 more councillors despite the work put in busing momentum into the key targeted areas. Lib Dems have been the real winners from where they started, 75 new councillors and 4 new councils. Greens did Ok as well with 8 new councillors.

This was local elections after 8 years of tory rule (or 3 of just tory no coalition) which normally with any ruling party means they get a kicking, if you add into that the recent horror stories against the tories Labour should have done 10 times better even with their own recent issue.

If this trend continues we're in for an uncomfortable period if Corbyn cannot make his brand of politics work well enough to get into power as the Labour Party by then will have already changed and the far left will already have a strangle hold on the party.

Maybe if people are pissed off with the Tories, but don't like Corbyn they will vote Liberal. Liberal get more seats and collaborate with the Labour party.
    The message is Tory austerity dominance does not need to continue to crush the population.
    This just my personal opinion but I think the Lib Dems got a tad shafted by the electorate in 2015. I get all the feeling of being betrayed when they got involved in the coalition and clegg with tuition fees, but how their voters deserted them really baffled me. They have some decent politicians in Cable and the Millwall one who was MP in Bermondsey (I think). Their demise on a national level really set our political maturity as a country back quite a bit for me.

We’ve been left with two individuals and ideologies you loathe, depending on what side of the fence you sit, where you vote to keep the other one out (in my opinion)
    I think it was also about intense and highly skilled manoeuvring by Lynton Crosby and the Tory 'machine' backed up as usual by the Tory media. Perhaps the Liberals thought that their new mates the Tories wouldn't go hard on them compared to Labour because of the coalition they supported, but instead they got ruthlessly targeted and wiped out by Tories in a lot of their constituencies especially in the West and South West.
  • seth plum said:

cabbles said:

seth plum said:

Rob7Lee said:

I think it was also about intense and highly skilled manoeuvring by Lynton Crosby and the Tory 'machine' backed up as usual by the Tory media. Perhaps the Liberals thought that their new mates the Tories wouldn't go hard on them compared to Labour because of the coalition they supported, but instead they got ruthlessly targeted and wiped out by Tories in a lot of their constituencies especially in the West and South West.
    It’s a shambles now because I truly believe we’ve got no alternative

Someone like me will always choose Labour because I hate the Tories, whereas plenty of people will do whatever they can to keep Labour out. The two parties seem to be going further apart in ideologies because they think they have to appeal to the two extremes. There are swathes of people that would benefit from a party in between, now more than ever
  • cabbles said:

seth plum said:

cabbles said:

seth plum said:

Rob7Lee said:

It’s a shambles now because I truly believe we’ve got no alternative

Someone like me will always choose Labour because I hate the Tories, whereas plenty of people will do whatever they can to keep Labour out. The two parties seem to be going further apart in ideologies because they think they have to appeal to the two extremes. There are swathes of people that would benefit from a party in between, now more than ever
    This is where some form of proportional representation would help. We are not a binary society anymore. Unfortunately the Tories and Labour can't accept this because it means that they will never be able to govern alone.
  • Leuth said:

And I would argue that Labour aren't extreme at all, but a very typical social democrat party who are victims of a shifted window of acceptability.

Lol. Some of corbyn’s very close allies are extreme. It’s not him who I’m worried about, it’s the nutters he spends time with.
  • I'm hoping that Rees-Mogg and Bojo team up to push the Brexit agenda - May can't be trusted and needs to be ousted. Michael Gove needs to be given a key role.

Christ on a bike I hope that’s a joke.

Pretty sure that's a whoosh for you there SHG, as it appears from the Trump thread that @hoof_it_up_to_benty's op to have their tongue surgically detached from their cheek was seriously delayed by the NHS winter pressures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

And I would argue that Labour aren't extreme at all, but a very typical social democrat party who are victims of a shifted window of acceptability.

Lol. Some of corbyn’s very close allies are extreme. It’s not him who I’m worried about, it’s the nutters he spends time with.
    Honest question. Who?
  • Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?
    Mcdonnell, Abbott, Mccluskey, corbyn's own "supporters"/fanatics on social media, before then his willingness to share a stage with "friends" such has Hamas and Hezbollah (people who would kill their own children -literally- if it was a means to an end), before even then hanging out with known IRA members as "part of the peace process", when it was obvious he was just trying to look cool in front of his militant mates, his ex militant mates.

Who would be the acceptable face of the left if corbyn decided tomorrow enough was enough and he was retiring?

• edited May 2018
    Leuth said:

This is an interesting point and is backed up by the Labour manifesto at the last election. People may forget, but there was a guarantee that nobody earning under £70k would be worse off. It is at odds with the image of Labour that the press wants you to believe. People foam at the mouth with what they perceive to be a cult of Corbyn, but they are the ones being manipulated and it is laughable they can't see it.

Look at the election were Milliband stood - he was advocating austerity, just less than the Tories, but he was labelled Red Ed. His dad was called a traitor etc.... It is what they do. What was interesting was that the Tories then adopted most of Millibands policies because their ones were too extreme and Cameron knew it!
  • Leuth said:

Name and shame them please.
  • Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Name and shame them please.
    read my previous comment at 8:51am

In other news, the tories have suffered a major defeat re brexit last night, but not a peep from the bbc or major news outlets.
  • There will be some extreme lefties in the Labour party as there are extreme righties in the Conservative party. Memberships start at one point and end at another - to a point where you move to the right of the Labour party, you overlap the left of the Conservative party!
  • edited May 2018

There will be some extreme lefties in the Labour party as there are extreme righties in the Conservative party. Memberships start at one point and end at another - to a point where you move to the right of the Labour party, you overlap the left of the Conservative party!

lol nope
  • Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?
    Mcdonnell, Abbott, Mccluskey, corbyn's own "supporters"/fanatics on social media, before then his willingness to share a stage with "friends" such has Hamas and Hezbollah (people who would kill their own children -literally- if it was a means to an end), before even then hanging out with known IRA members as "part of the peace process", when it was obvious he was just trying to look cool in front of his militant mates, his ex militant mates.

Who would be the acceptable face of the left if corbyn decided tomorrow enough was enough and he was retiring?

Here you go @kentaddick this is what Corbyn said, and typically the media will not let him explain fully because they want a tabloid scoop, an then it gets believed......

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10153074175846939/
  • Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

Here you go @kentaddick this is what Corbyn said, and typically the media will not let him explain fully because they want a tabloid scoop, an then it gets believed......

"Met Hamas and Hezbollah, great people, the best people, i met them, CANIFINISH i met them to discuss issues, WILLYOULETMEFINISH"

this and his unwillingness to follow any kind of action re anti semitism in the labour party are giant red flags, and are to undecided voters like myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

We won't agree on this but IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah are all organisations that any government/politician have had to talk to and deal with as they would with Saudi Arabia and Iran today. Whether that is for peace or trade or negotiations at some point you have to sit around a table with these people. Whether or not you or I think that some or all of those people should be talked to is another matter.

His own supporters on social media? Not sure you are serious about that. Are they about to take over or influence policy, I don't think so. Do other politicians have fringes who support on social media? Yes they do but the politician is not responsible for what an individual writes/says.

McDonnell is a Marxist, in common with a lot of economists. That is an economic theory it is not communism but he is a lefty.

McCluskey - another left winger and a person who any Labour leader would need to listen to, the union he heads gives money to the Labour party. How do other parties get their money and who do they have to listen to as a result? I wonder if it is as transparent as the aims of a multi member trade union (that may or may not be democratic!).

Abbott - She is just not very good. Not sure if she is extreme or not.

I don't think Abbott or McDonnell would survive a change of leadership. I am hoping that Abbott goes a lot quicker.
  • Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

"Met Hamas and Hezbollah, great people, the best people, i met them, CANIFINISH i met them to discuss issues, WILLYOULETMEFINISH"

this and his unwillingness to follow any kind of action re anti semitism in the labour party are giant red flags, and are to undecided voters like myself.
    But he didn't say that did he, you did watch the clip.....oh I see you're one of them......
  • Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

We won't agree on this but IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah are all organisations that any government/politician have had to talk to and deal with as they would with Saudi Arabia and Iran today. Whether that is for peace or trade or negotiations at some point you have to sit around a table with these people. Whether or not you or I think that some or all of those people should be talked to is another matter.

His own supporters on social media? Not sure you are serious about that. Are they about to take over or influence policy, I don't think so. Do other politicians have fringes who support on social media? Yes they do but the politician is not responsible for what an individual writes/says.

McDonnell is a Marxist, in common with a lot of economists. That is an economic theory it is not communism but he is a lefty.

McCluskey - another left winger and a person who any Labour leader would need to listen to, the union he heads gives money to the Labour party. How do other parties get their money and who do they have to listen to as a result? I wonder if it is as transparent as the aims of a multi member trade union (that may or may not be democratic!).

Abbott - She is just not very good. Not sure if she is extreme or not.

I don't think Abbott or McDonnell would survive a change of leadership. I am hoping that Abbott goes a lot quicker.
    i think its more the fact corbyn is incredibly reluctant to criticise those that spout hatred on social media. The anti semitism scandal was corbyn in a nutshell, he gets criticised, he then meets pretty much the only jewish group that strongly support him and then shrugs his shoulders and says "What? Am i meeting the wrong kind of jews now CHECKMATE MAINSTREAM MEDIA". He then goes and finally has a meeting with one of the largest jewish groups in the country and refuses all of their recommendations to fight anti semitism because it might impact his mates. It's like tory policy of helping and selling off shit to their mates but reversed. Two wrongs a right it does not make.

But seriously, who would be the left's candidate to replace corbyn?
  • There will be some extreme lefties in the Labour party as there are extreme righties in the Conservative party. Memberships start at one point and end at another - to a point where you move to the right of the Labour party, you overlap the left of the Conservative party!

lol nope
    So you have never heard of the Tory Reform Group?
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

But he didn't say that did he, you did watch the clip.....oh I see you're one of them......
    WILL YOU LET ME FINISH YOU'RE NOT LETTING ME FINISH

lol nope
    one nation conservatism =/= left wing or even liberal.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Honest question. Who?

WILL YOU LET ME FINISH YOU'RE NOT LETTING ME FINISH
    Yep I was right.

lol nope
    one nation conservatism =/= left wing or even liberal.
    You could pick up Mandelson and Blair and a number of others less well known from the Labour party and drop them right in there and they would not be out of place so my point stands!
  • Leuth said:

Shifted window of acceptability?
    Are you saying that they just haven't moved with the electorate?
    Stuck in the 1970's? 1990's?
    Very damning view of the party.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!