Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Options

Dunno about the Tories but I imagine Moggy's little boy couldn't wait to change out of his shirt, tie and tank top ensemble when they got back to the hotel...

August in New York can get chilly I suppose.

;-)

Where did he get those buttons from? Napoleon? What a complete, out of touch, plank.
    He must want his son to get bullied at school.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

They need to call out racist cunts like Boris, withdraw the whip, ban him from the party and move to have him expelled from the House. The cynical squint eyed shitbag is beneath contempt.

His brother is more of a worry......!
    His brother hasn't held high political office, representing our nation on the world stage, his brother doesn't (yet) have a national platform from which to foment racial hatred, he might have fucked around in Westminster tinkering with higher education and falling foul of his own complacent cronyism but I'll keep my powder dry on him unless and until he starts spouting vicious, possibly criminal, bile.
  • Options

They need to call out racist trolls like Boris, withdraw the whip, ban him from the party and move to have him expelled from the House. The cynical squint eyed bigot is beneath contempt.

Perhaps you could moderate your language. Children are able to access these pages.
    Will they understand the mollified, if you will "clean" version? Will the unequivocal rejection of such hate filled propaganda not be diluted? Deflecting attention to my choice of profanities, is rather spectacularly missing the point.

The wringing of hands and careful choosing of words when racists spout borderline criminal incitement is cowardice with dreadful consequences, or has the history of the mid 20th century taught you nothing? Would you be so prissy and squeamish if the focus of my invective were Enoch Powell?
    Everything I've said about bojo goes double for that loathsome hate rag in which his racist bilge was published.

• Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Boris just made these comments to distract from how terribly Brexit is going.
  • Options
    I don't particularly like Bojo and find his posturing irritating but it does seem a ludicrous state of affairs that he is to be subject to a Tory party inquiry over his remarks over the burqa.

There is no requirement for anyone to wear a burqa and he's perfectly at liberty to express his distaste for it. He could perhaps have chosen his words more carefully but the reaction to what he has said is completely OTT.

• Options
    How dare Boris say anything against them Islams...
  • Options

I don't particularly like Bojo and find his posturing irritating but it does seem a ludicrous state of affairs that he is to be subject to a Tory party inquiry over his remarks over the burqa.

There is no requirement for anyone to wear a burqa and he's perfectly at liberty to express his distaste for it. He could perhaps have chosen his words more carefully but the reaction to what he has said is completely OTT.

Yet more complacent appeasing drivel.
    Why would he be airing his distaste, as you so coyly put it, in that particular publication?
    For the hard of remembering and the selective of understanding: the chattering about the various islamic veils is maintained for one reason and one reason only. Mention of the veil, in which ever form, knowingly creates a picture in the mind of the reader/listener, a picture of the woman wearing said item, specifically an image of the colour that woman's face is least likely to be. That woman's face is least likely to be white/caucasian/european. There's no reason why it couldn't be of course, religious choice is free in this country, but hitherto it has been reasonable to imagine that the wearer of the veil is of middle eastern, south asian or north african heritage. Cowardly bigots like bojo, enoch powell, etc know fine well that there remains a deeply entrenched colour based xenophobia thoroughout all echelons of British society. Invoking criticism of the veil, however superficial his words initially appear, is a craven and cynical appeal directly to that prejudice. In short, he is keeping close to the dark heart of racism.
    In just the same way that the brexit campaign chattered on about immigration. Immigration from the EU is the only portion that might be impacted by our leaving the EU. But the word immigrant doesn't create a picture of a frenchman or spaniard or italian or german in the mind's eye of the susceptible, how could it? They look just the same as 'us'. That summer the news was drenched in film of benighted souls from beyond Europe's widest borders, clamouring to move to a safer life within Europe. Kurds, Libyans, Afghans, etc, etc. EU membership is irrelevant to how many refugees, economic migrants, might be admitted to UK from these places but IMMIGRATION and IMMIGRANTS were constant themes in the brexit rhetoric. The motivation is the same and just as deplorable, intolerable and inexcusable.
    Accommodating such bile is one short step away from normalising and embracing it.
    Boris is free to air his views however unpleasant you find them or whatever you read into them - that's what a free country should be about. Wearing a burqa is not a religious necessity as a lot of Muslims and Imams will tell you - dressing modestly is what the Quran seems to be concerned with.

Your reaction to this seems a bit hysterical and comparing him to Enoch Powell seems misguided. Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech was an open call to racism which was far more frightening.

I also find it a bit worrying how you view the 'susceptible' - sounds incredibly patronising and insulting how you know how they think and what picture they have in their head?

Not liking the veil doesn't make you a racist - that is a plainly ludicrous argument. Muslims as I'm sure you are aware are not actually a race - they can be any colour or from any country on earth.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just for the sake of balance, I feel I should point out that in the past, Boris hasn't shied away from being photographed with women wearing ridiculous clothes and silly headgear.

• Options

Why would he be airing his distaste, as you so coyly put it, in that particular publication?
    For the hard of remembering and the selective of understanding: the chattering about the various islamic veils is maintained for one reason and one reason only. Mention of the veil, in which ever form, knowingly creates a picture in the mind of the reader/listener, a picture of the woman wearing said item, specifically an image of the colour that woman's face is least likely to be. That woman's face is least likely to be white/caucasian/european. There's no reason why it couldn't be of course, religious choice is free in this country, but hitherto it has been reasonable to imagine that the wearer of the veil is of middle eastern, south asian or north african heritage. Cowardly bigots like bojo, enoch powell, etc know fine well that there remains a deeply entrenched colour based xenophobia thoroughout all echelons of British society. Invoking criticism of the veil, however superficial his words initially appear, is a craven and cynical appeal directly to that prejudice. In short, he is keeping close to the dark heart of racism.
    In just the same way that the brexit campaign chattered on about immigration. Immigration from the EU is the only portion that might be impacted by our leaving the EU. But the word immigrant doesn't create a picture of a frenchman or spaniard or italian or german in the mind's eye of the susceptible, how could it? They look just the same as 'us'. That summer the news was drenched in film of benighted souls from beyond Europe's widest borders, clamouring to move to a safer life within Europe. Kurds, Libyans, Afghans, etc, etc. EU membership is irrelevant to how many refugees, economic migrants, might be admitted to UK from these places but IMMIGRATION and IMMIGRANTS were constant themes in the brexit rhetoric. The motivation is the same and just as deplorable, intolerable and inexcusable.
    Accommodating such bile is one short step away from normalising and embracing it.
    Boris is free to air his views however unpleasant you find them or whatever you read into them - that's what a free country should be about. Wearing a burqa is not a religious necessity as a lot of Muslims and Imams will tell you - dressing modestly is what the Quran seems to be concerned with.

Your reaction to this seems a bit hysterical and comparing him to Enoch Powell seems misguided. Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech was an open call to racism which was far more frightening.

I also find it a bit worrying how you view the 'susceptible' - sounds incredibly patronising and insulting how you know how they think and what picture they have in their head?

Not liking the veil doesn't make you a racist - that is a plainly ludicrous argument. Muslims as I'm sure you are aware are not actually a race - they can be any colour or from any country on earth.

Having an opinion on a dress code imposed on women is one thing. I have an opinion. The comments made by Johnson were a direct attack on those wearing the burqa, not just the garment. His comments saying it made those wearing the burqa look like letter boxes and terrorists does nothing other than inflame. It legitimises the views of idiots and racists who abuse those women and if anyone thinks that Johnson’s comments were anything other than calculated is deluded. He is a scheming, ambitious, sly, nasty piece of work and I hope the Tories kick him out of the party. I don’t believe they will.

I despise Bojo but as far as I'm aware he didn't use the word 'terrorist' ? I understand why he did it but he hasn't broken any law and he has freedom of speech in our country however much you may dislike him.

Some Western women wear the burqa to get attention and they've got that from Bojo. There is Politics at work on both sides.

• Options

Having an opinion on a dress code imposed on women is one thing. I have an opinion. The comments made by Johnson were a direct attack on those wearing the burqa, not just the garment. His comments saying it made those wearing the burqa look like letter boxes and terrorists does nothing other than inflame. It legitimises the views of idiots and racists who abuse those women and if anyone thinks that Johnson’s comments were anything other than calculated is deluded. He is a scheming, ambitious, sly, nasty piece of work and I hope the Tories kick him out of the party. I don’t believe they will.

I despise Bojo but as far as I'm aware he didn't use the word 'terrorist' ? I understand why he did it but he hasn't broken any law and he has freedom of speech in our country however much you may dislike him.

Some Western women wear the burqa to get attention and they've got that from Bojo. There is Politics at work on both sides.

You’re absolutely right. He didn’t use the term terrorist. My bad. He used bank robber. Perhaps not quite as bad as terrorist but still pretty bad.

• Options
    edited August 2018

It’s one thing to be told what to wear, however to wear what Boris is wearing has no excuse.
  • Options

How dare Boris say anything against them Islams...

Cant you see the oure irony of Corbyn being antisemetic for absolutely nothing and then this bollox being spouted ?
  • Options

I don't like talking to people where I can't see their facial expression or identify them if they do wrong. I don't like women being forced into clothing choices by their male relatives. But make those arguements Boris, don't belittle religious leanings with crass racist comparisons like the coward you are, in search of headlines.

Muslims are not a race so I'm unclear why 'racism' keeps entering the argument? Wearing a burqa is a choice made by some young British women who are making a statement by doing so - It's obviously a different situation in other Muslim countries.

Boris may be crass and may have ulterior motives but he's not broken any current British laws. If you start censoring everything you're going down a slippery slope....

In a free society you should be able to criticise or make comments about religion?

• Options
    don't see much wrong with what boris said - as many islam followers have stated including imans it has no religous meaning and i find it intimidating and offensive, a woman on itv last night who wears the niqab - which is the "letterbox" where as a burqa is a veil with a mesh like viewing part - stating that you people don't need to understand it you just need to respect it, what an arrogant individual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I think it is a fair point - there will be many aspects of religions that we don't understand and it is enough to respect that these things are important to some people. If there was an issue with women terrorists concealing themselves to avoid detection, there would of course need to be a debate - but it is ridiculous to invent a problem which isn't there. It ultimately comes done to respect.

As somebody without a religion, I find many practices in all religions a bit strange. I respect people's right to believe and as long as they don't hurt others, they should be free to do their strange things. I won't spend too much time trying to understand why they have to fast, why they can't eat certain foods, why they have to pray to Allah throughout the day etc... but respect their right to do it.
  • Options

I think it is a fair point - there will be many aspects of religions that we don't understand and it is enough to respect that these things are important to some people. If there was an issue with women terrorists concealing themselves to avoid detection, there would of course need to be a debate - but it is ridiculous to invent a problem which isn't there. It ultimately comes done to respect.

i went into a foreign exchange place on friday last week and was told to remove my hat for security reasons, you know that when these wearers of religous garments travel then what happens? they have to be taken off to a secure point so the security agent can see it - costing time and holding people up.

headscarves are a part of the religion if your an orthodox follower and i respect that - but these full face covers are a personal choice and one that i dont think should be accepted in the uk - if you do want to wear them move to a more liberal country like germany or france - actually dont as they are already banned there.

they are intimidating i think, no different to a gang of kids with scarves up round there faces.

its about time we worried about the majority rather than the minority - many muslims have stated that these rags are ridiculous.
  • Options
    I've heard that muslim women who do wear the burka only do so when they can't be bothered to wear make up and don't want to be "seen" without make up on.

Sounds to me more like a western culture issue.
  • Options

Any politician who comments on clothing ordinary people wear is a piece of shit, specifically commenting and mocking clothes women choose to wear.

There is a debate to be had about the burka, mocking people and calling them letter boxes is not it.

"yeah but what about Isreal?"

Oh, sorry wrong party with racists in it leadership
  • Options

Any politician who comments on clothing ordinary people wear is a piece of shit, specifically commenting and mocking clothes women choose to wear.

There is a debate to be had about the burka, mocking people and calling them letter boxes is not it.

"yeah but what about Isreal?"

Oh, sorry wrong party with racists in it leadership
    but there are rich muslims around so that must mean that they're controlling the narrative on this. This definitely has the "hand of saud" over it.
  • Options

I don't like talking to people where I can't see their facial expression or identify them if they do wrong. I don't like women being forced into clothing choices by their male relatives. But make those arguements Boris, don't belittle religious leanings with crass racist comparisons like the coward you are, in search of headlines.

Muslims are not a race so I'm unclear why 'racism' keeps entering the argument? Wearing a burqa is a choice made by some young British women who are making a statement by doing so - It's obviously a different situation in other Muslim countries.

Boris may be crass and may have ulterior motives but he's not broken any current British laws. If you start censoring everything you're going down a slippery slope....

In a free society you should be able to criticise or make comments about religion?

Oh FFS pay attention
    bojo precisely avoids racial epithets even that despicable rag that published his “views” does so but the article seeks to legitimise denigration of minorities by the superficially silly bullying of their apparel
    We know fine well that wearers of the burka are non-white
    bojo is actively espousing racists smugly laughing up his sleeve while cynically playing the Freedom of Speech card or claiming it was a joke
    He backed brexit over remain as his best bet for personal political advancement. Now he’s going “populist” for the same avaricious motivation. His propaganda is egregious and possibly criminal. Defending it is just as bad
    He patently didn’t ridicule a religion (he’s too cowardly) he ridiculed people. That distinction is key
    It’s clearly dirty SMEARS to try and stifle legitimate criticism of Islam. I’ve never seen islamaphobia and I lived in Tory heartland all my life. Must be smears..
  • Options

don't see much wrong with what boris said - as many islam followers have stated including imans it has no religous meaning and i find it intimidating and offensive, a woman on itv last night who wears the niqab - which is the "letterbox" where as a burqa is a veil with a mesh like viewing part - stating that you people don't need to understand it you just need to respect it, what an arrogant individual.

That's arrogant ? How about people saying it should be banned as it's forced on women.... and women that say they wear it by choice are lieing

I've read that in the white British media... to me that's arrogant
  • Options
    shine166 said:

That's arrogant ? How about people saying it should be banned as it's forced on women.... and women that say they wear it by choice are lieing

I've read that in the white British media... to me that's arrogant
    I have not said it should be banned because it’s forced on women - it should be banned because it covers a whole face and doesn’t have a place in modern society.

What’s white British media?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!