Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2017/18 Betting Thread

Comments

• Thought last night went well for punters, a lot of expected results went in.
    Had Aston Villa, Lincoln and Poole in a treble, but could easily have added Swindon, Reading, Blackburn, Yeovil.
    Annoying part is, I usually do a safe treble, and a risky acca.
    Still, a wins a win I suppose (14/1 treble).
    How many times do teams fall apart after an FA cup game, especially with one eye on the replay (Lincoln/Newport).
  • May have gone well for you, but I think bookies might have done better.

How many accas busted by Arsenal and Luton
  • May have gone well for you, but I think bookies might have done better.

How many accas busted by Arsenal and Luton

Luton cost me and I suspect plenty of others...

• I disagree, Arsenal are hit and miss, as are Luton.
    They can bang in 7 one week, then get turned over the next.
    Wycombe are on a decent run of form at the moment.
  • might not be true but havent swansea got a good record at home to arsenal.
  • might not be true but havent swansea got a good record at home to arsenal.

This is what i said, im sure they have probably won like 3/4 or at least every other home game recently vs Arsenal.
    Luton game again they were playing an in form team so i was swerving no matter how well they are doing.
  • Before last night Swansea had won 2/6 at home to Arsenal and 3/7 away
  • just looked up in the last 10 leagues meetings between the sides

swansea 4
    draw 1
    arsenal 5
  • Just started a new challenge with my friend:
    £20 Starting, 1st bet successful City, Athletico M, Leverkusen
    £40.97 on Chelsea, City & Blackburn.

Aim to get to £420, split and withdraw and start again, will update when i can.

Busted already lol must have jinxed it , City & Blackburn easy. Chelsea at home to Bournemouth who would of thought it? Did make me laugh :)
  • Bet365 in-play offer back for the Spurs game tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• can see spurs doing pretty well tonight.
  • Think I'll play the 0-0 tonight. Spurs will keep it tight and Italian sides aren't known for going for it in the first leg
  • Napoli done me last night, £5 on 6 fold: Arsenal, Marseille, Milan, Athletico, Lyon & Napoli :( would have been £111 return, thought it was quite riskay overall with a few tough games. When Napoli were 1 up cashout was £55, but i never cash out lol
  • Bloody Shrewsbury let me diwn for £400 had BTTS
  • Accrington let me down for a nice five-fold which included us and Southend at decent prices - it’s a mugs game!
  • Berwick not losing. Bastards!
  • Bloody Shrewsbury let me diwn for £400 had BTTS

Unlucky Pauline. You could have used that to buy some Broadband!
  • PSV let me down tonight... had Charlton, Swindon, Wolves draw, Fenebache, Schalke, Man u, Benfica and PSV - 75-1 5 quid stake... and who got Heerenveen's 82nd minute equalizer....

Reza....
  • PSV let me down tonight... had Charlton, Swindon, Wolves draw, Fenebache, Schalke, Man u, Benfica and PSV - 75-1 5 quid stake... and who got Heerenveen's 82nd minute equalizer....

Reza....

Roland still somehow manages to fuck things up for Charlton fans in some related way, one way or another...

Reza....

Had PSV as well
    Game changed on the red
  • Sponsored links:

• Bet 365 are doing the £10 in play bet on Chelsea v Barcelona game this week.
  • Had an e-mail from sky bet last night;

"Dear valued Sky Bet Customer
    At Sky Bet, we’re about making betting, better – giving you better value and the best possible betting experience.

We are writing in relation to a bet you placed on our Request-a-bet markets in today’s match between Real Betis and Real Madrid.

Due to a technical error, we were offering an incorrect prices.

If we went 100% by our rules your bet would have been re-placed at the correct price, however, on this occasion we have made the decision to allow all bets to stand and honour the price you originally placed your bet at.

It’s goodwill gestures like this that make betting with Sky Bet even better.
    Best of luck with your next bet!"

For some context, I had 3 quid on madrid to win, 3 corners each and 1.5 goals at 11-1 - which at the time I thought was mildly generous, but on Madrid's recent form not completely OTT (they were behind at half time too so wasn't over confident most of the game)

What gets me is the tone of the e-mail - like they are doing me a favour by honouring the bet and I should somehow be grateful that they paid out in full..! On the strength of the e-mail am I supposed to be in awe of their "goodwill gesture" or (more likely) worried that they will screw me sometime in the future when the stakes are higher that they can just arbitrarily just re-place my bet willy-nilly!?

just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this?
  • Had an e-mail from sky bet last night;

"Dear valued Sky Bet Customer
    At Sky Bet, we’re about making betting, better – giving you better value and the best possible betting experience.

We are writing in relation to a bet you placed on our Request-a-bet markets in today’s match between Real Betis and Real Madrid.

Due to a technical error, we were offering an incorrect prices.

If we went 100% by our rules your bet would have been re-placed at the correct price, however, on this occasion we have made the decision to allow all bets to stand and honour the price you originally placed your bet at.

It’s goodwill gestures like this that make betting with Sky Bet even better.
    Best of luck with your next bet!"

For some context, I had 3 quid on madrid to win, 3 corners each and 1.5 goals at 11-1 - which at the time I thought was mildly generous, but on Madrid's recent form not completely OTT (they were behind at half time too so wasn't over confident most of the game)

What gets me is the tone of the e-mail - like they are doing me a favour by honouring the bet and I should somehow be grateful that they paid out in full..! On the strength of the e-mail am I supposed to be in awe of their "goodwill gesture" or (more likely) worried that they will screw me sometime in the future when the stakes are higher that they can just arbitrarily just re-place my bet willy-nilly!?

just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this?

3 times (twice snooker once tennis)in the past month i have had emails from bet365 stating the price was incorrect.

1 of them that sectiom of the bet became void.

1 of them the took money back

1 of them the cancelled a withdrawal because i didn't have the money(due to them having a issue with the pricel
  • Paulie - I'm relatively new to betting, (which is why I asked) that's bloody shocking to me... would that have still happened if you had placed your bets in an actual bookies or is it unique to online? I know the bookies always win in the end but how can that be legal? Surely once money has changed hands a contract has been created?

In your own time (of course) would love to hear each individual scenario in more detail to know the pitfalls (no worries if you'd rather not though mate!)
  • Paulie - I'm relatively new to betting, (which is why I asked) that's bloody shocking to me... would that have still happened if you had placed your bets in an actual bookies or is it unique to online? I know the bookies always win in the end but how can that be legal? Surely once money has changed hands a contract has been created?

In your own time (of course) would love to hear each individual scenario in more detail to know the pitfalls (no worries if you'd rather not though mate!)

From what I can remember.

The Tennis match was davies cup and 1 of the players had changed and they had kept the price of the original match(even tho the bet I placed was the correct 2 players) the emailed me to say the price was incorrect.

The 2 snooker was the exact same as each other probably 2 days apart.

I had basically put an acca on and gone through the snooker menu, as I was putting it on it passed the start time(i was watching these matches and the players hadnt even come out yet) so the price was the exact same but because it had past start time and matches were in there eyes in play it was different or something.

Anyway the acca came in and i won something like £50 withdrew £40 got an email about an hour later stating due to price changes my withdrawl request was denied. done the online chat and was informed my bet was being settled and 2 matches would be void(took my winnings down to just over £10 as the 2 void were the ones making my bet)

Anyway a day or 2 later i placed another bet less winnings this time only around £15 as i cashed out early, went offline a few hours later I went to bet on the evening matches and only had £8 was so confused, checked my emails and saw one from BET365, saying due to a price change your bet had been resettled to the correct value.
  • I remember during the online chat the person said to me they have 24 hours to amend any price errors.

I said so if the price had changed to give me more would you correct it then.
    They didnt answer and just stated the above guidelines regarding 24 hours again.

I said you didnt answer my question if the price had changed in my favour would you still have amended it.

There response was-is there anything else I can assist you with.

At which point I got frustrated and threw my phone and the battery came out(I couldnt be bothered to do the online chat again as I knew they would just refuse to answer it)
  • This is a really grey area and not sure that bookies would be covered under the "palpable error" rule which is designed to protect them in the case of a member of staff putting say 100/1 on a betting slip instead of 10/1 - there is a clear error in that instance but the case of a trader offering say 10/1 on what should be a 5/1 shot is one that the company might well lose if ever went to IBAS.

At the end of the day it all depends on their liabilities on the bet as to what they do and for relatively small sums it is better for them to pay out than be taken to IBAS and also face the adverse publicity on social media. Of course, they will make such mistakes on bets they don't have to pay out on but will be happy just to keep the stake without ever raising the error.
  • William Hill have been fined £6.2m for breaches in anti-money laundering regulations. The Gambling Commission have calculated that they won £1.2m of fraudulent money and added an extra £5m by way of a fine. The fine also related to inadequate measure to ensure that individuals were not spending more than they could afford.

This fine couldn't have happened to a nicer company!
  • Ok guys, lots of facts and figures way too early in the morning for me to wrap my head around, I will come back to this later, but my fuzzy Tuesday morning head will respond for now;

Paulie, it sounds like you had some bad bet timings; for my bet, it was a full day before the game -nothing changed between the time of the bet and the game; I saw the odds, it looked good and I had some loose change in the account so I put it on, even considered re-loading another tenner on it but I got strict 25 a week limit no matter what, so I didn't.

the real question I was posing (with no offence meant to your reply which I appreciate) is if there is ample time between the stake and the outcome (which in this case there was) at what point can a betting firm move the goal posts?

The second question is why they thought it was a good idea to make me aware that they can move said goalposts, pay me anyway, and expect me to be grateful that they fulfilled their side of the bet!?!
  • @Addick Addict you have some interesting points.... I agree my stake was small which was the reason for my post; would they have been so "kind" if I had stuck the extra tenner (or more) or would I have received a very different e-mail...?