Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2017/18 Betting Thread

Comments

• @Addick Addict you have some interesting points.... I agree my stake was small which was the reason for my post; would they have been so "kind" if I had stuck the extra tenner (or more) or would I have received a very different e-mail...?

There will, indeed, be a tipping point as to how much they are prepared to swallow - but this isn't just about their liability on the bet. For example, they would probably be prepared to waive a four figure "rick" for a PL footballer who regularly loses £10K a week with them because they won't want to lose his custom but, for someone who only spends a tenner with them every so often, they are unlikely to be quite so generous.

It really all depends on how much value to them a customer is in the long run.
  • Ok guys, lots of facts and figures way too early in the morning for me to wrap my head around, I will come back to this later, but my fuzzy Tuesday morning head will respond for now;

Paulie, it sounds like you had some bad bet timings; for my bet, it was a full day before the game -nothing changed between the time of the bet and the game; I saw the odds, it looked good and I had some loose change in the account so I put it on, even considered re-loading another tenner on it but I got strict 25 a week limit no matter what, so I didn't.

the real question I was posing (with no offence meant to your reply which I appreciate) is if there is ample time between the stake and the outcome (which in this case there was) at what point can a betting firm move the goal posts?

The second question is why they thought it was a good idea to make me aware that they can move said goalposts, pay me anyway, and expect me to be grateful that they fulfilled their side of the bet!?!

They can "move the goal posts" when they like but will probably seek to advise the customer as soon as the mistake becomes apparent - this might not, however, be 'til after the event and when it comes to pay out!

The reason that you've been told is that they probably feel that it will engender some sort of loyalty from you. They are also highlighting the fact that they do have the "palpable error" rule to rely on and that, should this happen again, you shouldn't expect them to be quite so "generous"! No doubt this will be recorded on your account and should there be one or more similar incidents again they will treat you as an opportunist and you will be limited or even have your account closed.
  • edited February 2018
    I'm on a little run of form, this is my recent bet365 activity. Out £100 in £530 and as you can see Charlton screwed a £10 fourfold that would have added £150 plus to the total. Also had the Crawley, Plymouth double which gave me £140 on another account.
  • Bookies get away with far too much, reason i closed my bet365. I had 5/6 winning, i think palars were playing Liverpool and neeeded a goal on that one and there was another game which was winning i clicked cash out for around £90 , return would have been around £150. Only time i have ever gone to cash out then it turns out it didn't go through. I did call them and try to sort out and they offered to give me my bet stake back as a freebet, i said it was not the point and i have always been a loser on their site.

Since i have changed to Coral i have done alot better, but mainly as i put a few sensible bets on and probably about £700-£800 up this season when i usually lose £10 per week. Morcambe done me this week
  • Paulie, I know a lot of companies are the same but I would change betting company. Ask them to shut your account and when they ask why just say exactly why. Always found Paddy power to be straight forward with problems and sky bet have also responded to emails swiftly.
  • edited February 2018

Paulie - I'm relatively new to betting, (which is why I asked) that's bloody shocking to me... would that have still happened if you had placed your bets in an actual bookies or is it unique to online? I know the bookies always win in the end but how can that be legal? Surely once money has changed hands a contract has been created?

In your own time (of course) would love to hear each individual scenario in more detail to know the pitfalls (no worries if you'd rather not though mate!)

All bookmakers rules have a piece that says if they make a "Culpable Error" which is basically an error that they fully admit is their fault, they can still amend your bet to the correct price or cancel as appropriate. Sometimes the errors are small where they offer 10/1 by mistake instead of 7/1, this they may let go. However, where say an 11/10 shot has been put up as 11/1 and punters leap on that price, they will play the "Culpable Error" card and only pay out at 11/10.

They will if they see the error early enough in some cases give you a chance to cancel, but if not they just pay the shorter price. Obviously if you lose they just keep the money.

There are some subtle differences, in the case of 10/1 going up instead of 7/1 the punter just thinks it's a great value and they are offering a better price. However, if everybody else is 11/10 and the firms go 10/1 the punters know that's it's a mistake and are just hoping they may be lucky enough to get paid out.
  • Paulie, I know a lot of companies are the same but I would change betting company. Ask them to shut your account and when they ask why just say exactly why. Always found Paddy power to be straight forward with problems and sky bet have also responded to emails swiftly.

Agreed i have never heard of them changing the odds afterwards regardless whether their error or not. Its different from a personal error as previously stated writing down 100/1, but if they have just amended but too late your bet should still stand. Robbing bar stewards!
  • edited February 2018

Paulie, I know a lot of companies are the same but I would change betting company. Ask them to shut your account and when they ask why just say exactly why. Always found Paddy power to be straight forward with problems and sky bet have also responded to emails swiftly.

Agreed i have never heard of them changing the odds afterwards regardless whether their error or not. Its different from a personal error as previously stated writing down 100/1, but if they have just amended but too late your bet should still stand. Robbing bar stewards!
    From a professional bettor of many a year.. Bookies control it all and unfortunately you signing up to their bookmakers, you also agree to their T&C's, of which one of them will state if there is a palp (palpable error) they reserve the right to void or adjust odds etc. They will play it into their hands more often than not, price adjustment or a void dependant on their books would stand after it.

It is a very grey area and it shouldn't be allowed unless they are provable, wrong errors (i.e. rest of the bookmakers offer odds completely on the contrary, reversed odds or similar), essentially bookmakers mould it so they can pull out the palp line more often than they should.

The tide is changing, however, and bookmakers within the next few years are going to have to be a lot more transparent in all workings. Advertising, affiliation, limitations (may be a minimum bet limit incorporated), and withdrawal actions. They are toeing the line and often going over it as they get away with it, this will change as the sanctioning companies are hitting down harder on them - no longer a slap on a wrist but big, big fines into the high millions for wrong doings.

Bet365 is your safest I would say, they will pull out some palpable errors on a rare occasion but usually rightfully so - something that is quite obviously wrong. PaddyPower also suits the recreational punter and you'll benefit from more than you lose out on IMO.
  • Doesn’t matter what online bookmakers it is they will always fuck you over when it suits them as they know there is nothing you can do about it.
  • out of the online bookies, i currently use skybet and bet bright, wh started making my stake allowances ridiculous was after a decent cheltenham back in 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• Hoping the following acca takes some money off these dastardly bookies tonight - Villa, Boro, Sheff U, Brentford and Shrewsbury
  • i have backed the same as above - shrewsbury will likely balls it up before scoring a 95th minute winner on saturday
  • I only really use Betfair Exchange for single bets nowadays as I find other online bookmakers will restrict you at every opportunity
  • Tonights:
    Barca
    Bayern
    Villa
    Brentford
    Sheff U
    Shrewsbury
    £5 on returns £150 approx

Draw one, £2.50 on £260
    Barnsley / Burton
    Millwall / Sheff W
    Bolton / Sunderland
    Fleetwood / Pompey

Obviously midweek is a tricky one but in it to win it :) Good luck all
  • Ok I think I get the reasoning - all the same the mail from skybet has had the opposite effect on me to what was likely intended - I just don't trust them anymore. Cleared my account, just using my fiver free bet and moving on now (got barce, Bayern, villa, brentford and shrews for those interested!)

Can/do they pull the same stunts if you place your bets in physical bookies rather than online?
  • Tonight's footie.

Gone under 2.5 on Chelsea v Barca and will have the free £25 on Barca win.

Brentford, Middlesboro £30 double
    Villa, Shrewsbury, Aldershot £10 treble
    £4 all 5.
  • Tonight's footie.

£4 all 5.

Are you sure thats correct.
    I though maximum free bet was £10 on the Barca Chelsea match
  • Bet365 in play offer again tonight, and once again only get a fiver.
    Why do they hate me? Bastards.
  • Tonight's footie.

£4 all 5.

Are you sure thats correct.
    I though maximum free bet was £10 on the Barca Chelsea match
    Depends who you are Paulie and whether Bet 365 think you are an "abuser" of the offer. Some will get £10, some will get £25 and some will get nothing!
  • Had a simple acca draw on all league one/two games.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    With Blackburn going top last night all four of my pre season tips are now top . Any idea why William Hill won’t offer a cash out ?

• edited February 2018
    Gone with Barca and over 2.5 match goals.

Gonna stick the free tenner on barca to score 3 or more.
  • With Blackburn going top last night all four of my pre season tips are now top . Any idea why William Hill won’t offer a cash out ?

Beds could you not lay Blackburn on betfair
  • With Blackburn going top last night all four of my pre season tips are now top . Any idea why William Hill won’t offer a cash out ?

Its prob because there is Championship games tonight, so they have suspended the betting. You should get an offer after or in the morning.
  • clb74 said:

With Blackburn going top last night all four of my pre season tips are now top . Any idea why William Hill won’t offer a cash out ?

That's a good idea.
  • clb74 said:

You could but if Blackburn win the League and Luton don't then you would lose on both bets. I'm on Luton and they are, effectively, 6 points clear if we include goal difference but it only takes a couple of defeats and that lead will be all but eroded. And they have lacked a bit of consistency recently.

In any event, you would have to lay them at 3/1 plus and a substantial amount of the winnings would be given away.

I suspect that a cash out hasn't been offered because Shrewsbury play tonight and their result will affect the standings.
  • Nicholas said:

Its prob because there is Championship games tonight, so they have suspended the betting. You should get an offer after or in the morning.
    I have never had a cashout option on this bet for some reason while a couple others i did ( not doing so well) at the start of the season have cashout options.
  • Nicholas said:

I have never had a cashout option on this bet for some reason while a couple others i did ( not doing so well) at the start of the season have cashout options.
    The true odds of them all coming in is about 5/1 and WH wouldn't offer that anyway - I suspect that they would offer you about £600 - £800 but I equally suspect that you wouldn't take that anyway.
  • I think it could go back to all bookmakers being wankers. Go on live chat if you can be bothered and pull em up on it to see what their excuse is.
  • clb74 said:

You could but if Blackburn win the League and Luton don't then you would lose on both bets. I'm on Luton and they are, effectively, 6 points clear if we include goal difference but it only takes a couple of defeats and that lead will be all but eroded. And they have lacked a bit of consistency recently.

In any event, you would have to lay them at 3/1 plus and a substantial amount of the winnings would be given away.

I suspect that a cash out hasn't been offered because Shrewsbury play tonight and their result will affect the standings.
    Lay the double
    Luton about 1/4 on