Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Ffs get the big boys in...

Have you got your big boy pants on?
    Who is this twat
    Which twat?
    Guess
    Can't be me obviously. We're chums aren't we?
    Indeed
    I'm glad about that.
    I take it that this idiot is the equivalent of its a knock out joker card from the remainers camp.... Ffs desperate.
  • Leuth said:

He could be our Imran Khan!

Well since this thread has descended into high summer nonsense, I feel I can slip this in, so to speak...

Bulgarians have a slang word badjinak which means a guy you are connected with by virtue of the fact that you have both enjoyed sex with the same woman.

Thanks to a Charlton away game in the early 80s, probably Notts county or possibly Mansfield, but anyway an excuse for a weekend in Nottingham, Imran Khan and I are badjinaks.

Have that, Charlton Life! :-)

Now then, back to the customs union...

• edited July 2018

Leuth said:

Well since this thread has descended into high summer nonsense, I feel I can slip this in, so to speak...

Bulgarians have a slang word badjinak which means a guy you are connected with by virtue of the fact that you have both enjoyed sex with the same woman.

Thanks to a Charlton away game in the early 80s, probably Notts county or possibly Mansfield, but anyway an excuse for a weekend in Nottingham, Imran Khan and I are badjinaks.

Jemima Khan?
  • I mean, my uncle was at school with him and they had a fight over an egg, but...I mean...

*walks away shaking head slowly*
  • Huskaris said:

bobmunro said:

Treason act should include people willfully damaging the country's economy. When we are all worse off, do Brexiters think we will shrug our shoulders and say oh well never mind! My bet is, within a couple of years you won't find anybody owning up to voting leave.

Maybe leave voters should pay more tax so that the remain voters can be compensated.

If (not certain) we leave then within 5 years the great unwashed will be crying out to rejoin.
    No they won't. They will double down on it, saying f

Leuth said:

Jemima Khan?
    Nah, a blonde Nottingham girl.

Wouldn't sit well with his current orthodox Islamic stance, would it?

• My cousin's hubby comes from a small village in North Wales, where the houses are almost exclusively owned by a multi millionaire. Every year, this guy sorts out a cricket match against the village with players drawn from the neighbouring area... One year, as a ringer, he brought along Chevy Chase... He apparently held the cricket bat like a baseball bat, and was cleaned up first ball.

Annoyed, millionaire went away and returned the following year with a new ringer... Step forward mr Imran Khan!

(Apparently, Khan refused to bowl on the village pitch, because he rightly thought he could kill someone)
  • There is a legendary story about Imran Khan playing for the University of Sydney vs North Sydney at the North Sydney Oval in a First Grade Game in the 1980s.

It's a gorgeous old ground and University of Sydney were bowling and bang in trouble with North Sydney 100-2 chasing 180 to win the game and - worst of all - their star Pakistani all-rounder was nowhere to be seen.

Just as things are getting dire a red sports car screams into the car park with Imran at the wheel accompanied by a stunning blonde and he gets out of the car in his whites and strolls onto the field without a care in the world.

The UoS skipper can barely believe what he has seen but decides to deal with it afterwards rather than cause a stir on the field with his star player.

The overs tick by and North Sydney are closing in on an easy win when Imran strides over to his pissed off skipper says, "OK, I will bowl now."

Given the state of play and that he wasn't the sort of bloke you said no to they let him bowl and he promptly took 5 for not many and they won the game.

As the UoS players were celebrating in the middle they looked to see where Imran was so they could congratulate him only to see his tall, haughty figure striding from the field towards the car park where the gorgeous blonde was waiting in the sports car to take him back to her place for some post-match coitus.

Utter, utter legend.
  • Blackpool, this is

Leuth said:

TMI Prague, TMI.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dunno about six degrees of separation, more like two degrees of connection.
  • edited July 2018
    Meanwhile, away from a trip down @PragueAddick 's memory lane, estimates put the loss to the Treasury of reintroduced smuggling operations at up to £1b annually...

https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-import-tariffs-theresa-may-smugglers-eu-border-ireland-a8465006.html

...that's almost enough to buy yourself a parliamentary majority.
  • https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44960293

Anyway, back to the important things. How will we survive without our sandwich fillings? Brexiters will be ok as I should think bread and dripping will still be available :smiley:
  • Meanwhile, away from a trip down @PragueAddick 's memory lane, estimates put the loss to the Treasury of reintroduced smuggling operations at up to £1b annually...

https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-import-tariffs-theresa-may-smugglers-eu-border-ireland-a8465006.html

...that's almost enough to buy yourself a parliamentary majority.

Maybe Labour should offer the DUP 5bn to vote against the government. Well maybe not as that would be an abuse of democracy :)
  • I see Michel Barnier has already said the "Chequers white paper" is a non-starter. EU wont agree to collecting our tarrifs & taxes and that the "not single market but still trying to be together" thingy wont work either. Best get your cabinet back to Chequers Mrs May for a re-think......

but Raab thinks its all still good & the EU are just joshing with us.....they're good chaps really & will see sense in the end... ;)
  • bobmunro said:

I see Michel Barnier has already said the "Chequers white paper" is a non-starter. EU wont agree to collecting our tarrifs & taxes and that the "not single market but still trying to be together" thingy wont work either. Best get your cabinet back to Chequers Mrs May for a re-think......

but Raab thinks its all still good & the EU are just joshing with us.....they're good chaps really & will see sense in the end... ;)

It was never going to be acceptable. Why would/should the EU change their rules for a nation that has decided to leave the union.

Call me an old cynic but my view is that May and co always knew it wouldn't be acceptable and they are just preparing the ground to divert blame to the 27. The Daily Mail will go for it.
    Careful or you will be creeping up to the top of that traitors!
  • Chaz Hill said:

bobmunro said:

I see Michel Barnier has already said the "Chequers white paper" is a non-starter. EU wont agree to collecting our tarrifs & taxes and that the "not single market but still trying to be together" thingy wont work either. Best get your cabinet back to Chequers Mrs May for a re-think......

It was never going to be acceptable. Why would/should the EU change their rules for a nation that has decided to leave the union.

Call me an old cynic but my view is that May and co always knew it wouldn't be acceptable and they are just preparing the ground to divert blame to the 27. The Daily Mail will go for it.
    Careful or you will be creeping up to the top of that traitors list!
  • Great article from the brilliant Gary Younge discussing the sense of victimhood that many Leavers love to wallow in, and which also feeds Trump supporters in the US.

It’s never their fault: why the Brexiteers love to cry betrayal

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/20/brexiteers-betrayal-britain-america
  • Great article from the brilliant Gary Younge discussing the sense of victimhood that many Leavers love to wallow in, and which also feeds Trump supporters in the US.

It’s never their fault: why the Brexiteers love to cry betrayal

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/20/brexiteers-betrayal-britain-america

Certainly seen lots of that on this thread with cries of traitor and crazy conspiracy theories abounding.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

What would be the point of that? What would Theresa May gain from creating a solution that will be rejected and use that rejection to point fingers at the EU27?
  • Chizz said:

bobmunro said:

What would be the point of that? What would Theresa May gain from creating a solution that will be rejected and use that rejection to point fingers at the EU27?
    If she creates a solution that will appease the right of her party, that then gets rejected by the EU she can then blame the EU.

If she creates a solution that the EU will be happy with, it will be rejected by her party and they will blame her, plus the Daily Mail et al with brand her a traitor for cowtowing to the EU.

So her only option, if she wants to stay in power, is to keep coming up with solutions that her party will accept and pray that the EU will budge, even though it has absolutely no reason to do so.

Everything is being done back to front. What should have been done is a process whereby the UK government identifies where EU treaties are likely to cause issues, come up with recommended changes to those treaties and then canvases EU leaders for support in order to get the treaties changes. Then a leave proposal could have been created that met the relevant EU law and treaty obligations. Instead we've insulted our partners in the EU, no made any attempt at all to get treaty change even discussed, let alone proposed actual treaty changes, and just assumed that the EU will break it's own rules and bend over for us.

It was obvious to anybody with half a braincell that the current approach of the tories negotiating with themselves and always coming up with answers that are incompatible with the rules of the club they then need to deal with, was never ever going to work. But I guess as long as it doesn't work for a long time then May can cling to power, juggle her own party members and shift the blame outside of number 10.
    So it really has come down to one person coming up with a plan that has only one upside: that of keeping her in power as things fall to pieces around her?

So much for taking back control, I guess.
  • bobmunro said:

As I said a bit ago I think we are heading for a hard brexit but called something else. Sort of like BINO but the opposite, HABBAN is what i suggest HArd Brexit By Another Name.
  • bobmunro said:

As I said a bit ago I think we are heading for a hard brexit but called something else. Sort of like BINO but the opposite, HABBAN is what i suggest HArd Brexit By Another Name.
    I fear you are correct.

I've just sent the missus to the shops to buy all the non-perishable food she can get hold of.
  • Chizz said:

bobmunro said:

Are you serious. Politics is and always has been about diverting blame. Given the complete and utter fiasco that the government have presided over in negotiating Brexit I think the Tories will be absolutely desperate to blame anyone and as Labour are not going to be available as a target the only possibility is to blame the 27.

It will be a complete case of the EU being inflexible and intransigent whereas the U.K. will have tried its utmost to offer solutions and compromise.

It’s nailed on 100% certain.

• bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I fear you are correct.

I've just sent the missus to the shops to buy all the non-perishable food she can get hold of.
    Mine has gone for ammo, tents, veg seeds and growing tunnels. Hopefully the weather will be good enough for us to grow peppers and aubergines.
  • edited July 2018
    Some people voted for brexit, some people voted Tory, some people voted both.
    They both prevailed.
    So here we are, in the what, sixth seventh or eighth biggest economy in the world, and the UK Prime Minister comes on cheery and beaming telling us what a good idea it is for the UK to be stockpiling food and medicines in case the way things are being run don't turn out so well.
    Think about that for longer than the nanosecond Chippy will contemplate it.
    We are supposed to be a modern wealthy country and the Prime Minister is telling us that it is a good thing that this country is stockpiling food*.
    Am I the only person who thinks that is beyond surreal and funny and astonishing? I know there are people in America for instance who spend a large part of their lives getting ready for the worst, like a meteor strike, or nuclear war, or extreme weather conditions, or political upheaval, they are called 'preppers' I believe.
    None of then are stockpiling food because of brexit.
    We are.
    Cheers voter guys, you knew what you were doing after all, and it's all worth it!

*This is not 'operation fear' this is reality as told to us by our Prime Minister.

• Chizz said:

bobmunro said:

Are you serious. Politics is and always has been about diverting blame. Given the complete and utter fiasco that the government have presided over in negotiating Brexit I think the Tories will be absolutely desperate to blame anyone and as Labour are not going to be available as a target the only possibility is to blame the 27.

It will be a complete case of the EU being inflexible and intransigent whereas the U.K. will have tried its utmost to offer solutions and compromise.

I get that Theresa May will want to divert blame. Of course. But what would be the point of coming up with a plan that will be rejected, purely in order to be able to divert blame? Where does that benefit anyone? The only person to benefit from that as a strategy would be the Prime Minister and the only benefit would be to make the situation harder to solve, because she would be back at square one.

I don't want to give her any credit for anything within this whole fiasco. But surely she must have a better solution than kicking it down the road and being able to blame someone else for how far it's been kicked?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

bobmunro said:

I get that Theresa May will want to divert blame. Of course. But what would be the point of coming up with a plan that will be rejected, purely in order to be able to divert blame? Where does that benefit anyone? The only person to benefit from that as a strategy would be the Prime Minister and the only benefit would be to make the situation harder to solve, because she would be back at square one.

I don't want to give her any credit for anything within this whole fiasco. But surely she must have a better solution than kicking it down the road and being able to blame someone else for how far it's been kicked?
    There is no solution to a soft Brexit. It's Norway, staying in (which is better than Norway), or falling off the cliff. It was never, despite Bojo's claim, a possibility of cake and eat it.

May will be forced to go for either stay or cliff edge - she can't find another way because there is no other way - but if she can blame someone else then she will. This is about 1) her survival, 2) the Tory Party and a distant 3) the country.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!